Observation

Opening Up

From the corner of his eye, Baekhyun saw Kyungsoo stiffen a little at the announcement that the M members would be leaving to China to promote Growl and probably wouldn't be back for a few months. Only moments ago, the younger Exo-K member had been laughing happily with a hyper Zitao. But he, as well as everyone else, froze once their managers announced the separate schedules. 

It didn't surprise Baekhyun that the younger man took the news so hard, really. He had seen it coming, and secretly hoped that the group didn't have to separate for a while yet. Alas, work was work, and there was a reason they were split into K and M after all. The M group was supposed to promote the Mandarin versions of their songs, and it made sense that they had to go to Mainland China and Taiwan to promote. Still, the split would be hard on everyone, especially having had promoted together for a long while and even filming their own show together. But even though the news hit everyone hard, Baekhyun was most concerned about a certain Do Kyungsoo, one of the quieter members of the group. It was usually hard to tell what Kyungsoo was thinking or feeling since he kept all his emotions locked up tightly, but after living with him, all the Exo members came to know all the little involuntary things he did when he was happy, sad, upset, or irritated. Some knew his body language better than others, but Byun Baekhyun prided himself on knowing his fellow members the best. And so, it did not escape his eye how Kyungsoo had stiffened slightly, indicating distress at the news.

But Baekhyun wasn't the only one who took note of the little movement. Tao tilted his head slightly to look at his shorter, same-aged friend, a small frown threatening to pull at his lips. He subtly wrapped an arm around the shorter's waist, offering comfort where words couldn't. At the sudden touch and feeling of warmth, Kyungsoo looked up to see Tao looking straight ahead, jaw clenched tightly. Despite himself, the shorter man smiled and leaned into Tao's warmth a little, knowing that it would be a while before he'd be able to be this physically close to his friend. He was definitely going to miss this, as well as Tao's girlish whines and screams about seeing ghosts in the bathroom.

No one else, it would seem, had noticed Kyungsoo's little moment of distress. Once the managers were done with their announcements, they left the boys to their previous activities. All 12 males sat quietly for a while, staring at each other and knowing that it wouldn't be long before half of them would be gone by the end of the week. 

The ever cheerful Baekhyun tried to break the silence by clapping his hands and saying, "Chanyeol, weren't you just showing us your new guitar skills you had learned from Xing?"

He inwardly flinched at mentioning the Chinese man, knowing that Chanyeol had gotten extremely close to him, and that this separation would be tough on both men. But he was relieved when Chanyeol flashed his signature bright smile and nodded, picking up his guitar and starting to strum it as Yixing looked on with a serene smile on his face. 

Attention was now all directed to Chanyeol, even Tao's, who had left Kyungsoo after the latter's strong push and reassurances that he would be just fine. But Baekhyun saw Kyungsoo go out to the balcony and sit on of the plastic chairs, staring into space with a blank look on his face. Concerned for his younger friend, Baekhyun walked out to the balcony and quietly sat in a chair next to Kyungsoo.

Neither said a word, Kyungsoo lost in his thoughts and Baekhyun waiting for Kyungsoo to break the silence. He wasn't disappointed when the other said bitterly, "Why did they have to separate us now? All of us just got close, and now we're going off in our own ways again. It's not fair."

It was rare for Kyungsoo to speak with so much emotions in his voice, prompting Baekhyun to keep his mouth shut and listen to what the other had to say. What he didn't expect was the teary eyes and the catch in the younger man's voice when he continued on. "I just got close to Kris, Luhan, Tao, and even Yixing. We were finally able to communicate well with each other, but why separate us now?"

His bitter tone was tinged with a bit of anger and disappointment, and he finally turned to look at Baekhyun, who for once had a serious expression on his face.

Baekhyun wanted to say something comforting, but he also knew he had to choose his words wisely, so he haltingly replied, "Well, you know it's only for a few months. We can always text them, and then they'll be back soon. And our next comeback will be us together again. So, let's look forward to then!"

He ended with placing a comforting hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder and a soft smile on his face that was so different from his usual teasing one. He panicked a little inside when the younger man merely gave him a blank look, but the panick dissipated when Kyungsoo broke into a small smile. Small, but still genuine.

"Thanks, hyung," he said quietly, standing up and holding a hand out to Baekyun. "Shall we join the others?"


A/N: Fudge. I fudged up so hard. This was not how it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be one long oneshot, but looks like it's going to full-on chaptered story OTL. I fudged up so fricking hard I swear. I was going to do a chapter for each brotp, but then I thought it would be choppy, and it'd work better with a fricking plot. I ruin my own life orz. 

But the idea's going to stay the same, and will revolve around Kyungsoo's relationship ships with the M Chinese members. 

Sigh. Welp. Jeez.

I hope y'all enjoyed this short blurb nonetheless! orz