Chapter I

THE REFLECTION

December 24th, 2003

 

“Mom?” I ask, but I can’t hear her lovely soft tone answer me back.

Red. All I can see is red bathed the white snow.

“Dad?” I ask once again, and no one’s answer.

It’s winter, cold wind blows and the little flakes fallen one by one. I couldn’t move my body, half of it is being pressured of metal material. Cold, but all of my body felt numb… and I feel hollow.

I only recalled the moment that our car tire screeched in the asphalt, making a high pitched note before it turned around and make a loud noise…

“BANG! BANG! BANG!!!! CRASH!!!!!”

In a second I can feel my body thrown up against the gravity and look at the glass broke beside me. My mother tried to turn around from the front seat and wrapped her arms to protect me, just to be thrown back again and hit the dashboard.

I shrieked in horror seeing my mother lay unconscious in her seat before my car stopped from turning. I tried to reach out my hand just to realize there are some cuts of broken glasses planted in my limb, and fresh blood dripped to my shirt.

“Mom…” my vision start to blur because of the tears start to pile.

No, this can’t be happening.

“Mom, answer me!!” I called once again, still no one answers.

I felt that familiar feeling of lump in my throat.

“Mom… Dad…” I whispered slowly, “Please don’t leave me” That’s all I can say as the tears start to stream down my face, and the darkness seep me in the faint sound of siren.

---

The hospital was in chaos. The nurses going back and forth into the Emergency Room, and the doctor treat their last patients from the accident a moment ago. They were treated with some cable of I.V. and the others cable to connect the machine to some part of their bodies. Some parts of their bodies are still bleeding while some part of it were stitched and plastered.

“Doctor Choi” Said one of the nurses to a tall man that looked youngest while he monitoring one of the patients. He only looks at her, waiting her to continue her report.

“One person died on the spot, while two people were seriously injured” She said and observing her file, “The two people are Mrs. Jung and their one and only daughter Jung Soojung. As the results of the analyze, Mrs. Jung has a serious fractures in her left rib, spine and head due to a strong impact… causing swelling of blood vessels in her brain” She continues. The young doctor Choi can just let out a heavy sigh and look expectantly into her, something inside of him still expect her to continue… and there is a look of sadness in his eyes.

The nurse hold his hand with hers and squeezed it softly.

“Minho… We have done our best to save her. You have done your best. But, we know we can go against God’s will, right?” She said, as he melts her down in his embrace.

“She’s just a child, Jinri” He said as he hold the urge to broke as he look at the fragile body whose laid unconscious on the hospital mattress, “We need to prepare her for the interrogation of the accident… But, I don't think her mental is stable enough. I don't even know if she'll ever be ready for that. We need to get her a psychology class first to medicate her trauma”

She pull away to look at him,

“We will, Minho. We will do our best for the best of her” She said. He just nods in agreement.

Maybe they a little too late or the fate is trying to play a little with her life.

---

December 17th, 2005

 

The Jung’s family car crash news spread like wildfire. It’s no wonder since Jung family is the biggest stakeholder in the whole South Korea, and a new rising company in Asia. The only family member left who survive from the accident is no other than the sole heir of the Family, Jung Soojung. But what can you expect from a kid that not yet graduated from elementary school? She is really bright and brilliant person—not to mention her outstanding beauty and her talent in figure skating—but not after that tragic moment of her life that taken both of her parent life. And this situation brings chaos in the Jung Company.

It’s almost two years since the accident. Soojung fast in healing and she survive from the comatose state after a week. She doesn’t moves her body often neither saying anything since that day. The doctor afraid that something’s wrong with her capability in talking or hearing but it’s her still traumatic from her near death experience. She always has her routine psychology class once a week but it is vain, she just makes a blank expressions and not saying anything. Of course it is not helping the police to continue the investigation because she is the only one witness on the spot of the accident, and it is not good for her own mental. And this bring another concern to Jung Company, monitoring the passive activities from her.

Today is her routine psychology class. She stares blankly at the floor—her usual—while waiting her personal psychiatrist scanning her file about her. She sometime tapping her hand to the name tags written of ‘Doctor Kim’—her psychologist name—in the table, while watching the clock tick by, ignoring her psychologist same questions that always be the same every time she got there.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

“Soojung-ssi, are you still ignoring me?” She asked as her round eye roaming to her patient face.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

She let out a heavy sigh after gaining nth time of no response from her, “Okay, then. I’m just going to tell you it is already our 28th session but you’re not even saying anything at me… I feel dissapointed about it, you know” She said and pout as she drawing invisible circle with her hand in her desk.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

“I have told you already… I just want you to share what you feel inside. You can cry as much as you want, or saying anything to me. You never said anything or anyone since ‘that day’ and everyone’s concern about your condition, dear”

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

“And, well… The police ahjussi need your information’s to do more investigation”

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

“So I hope you would cooperate with—”

“It’s twelve o'clock already” Soojung cut her sentence as she lock her eyes with her, then she stare back at the clock on the wall. The young psychologist seems surprised, but she able to control herself.

“Uhm, then please wait here… Your driver will come in fifteen minutes” She excuse herself and get out herself from the room, leaving Soojung alone. Soojung scoffs, she tired of all of this. What are they expect her to say something about her parent’s death? Do they really want her to mourn over again about her miserable past? Some of them just want her to be the next heiress, the CEO of the company. They not really care about her, what the most of them just care about money of the company.

She knew from that day, that she wouldn’t be the same girl anymore. Her eye was dried from crying. Her heart hurt badly until the point she can’t feel anything anymore. She no longer can be that bright and lovable kid anymore, she cannot feels… the part of her heart might be died at the exact moment of that accident happen.

---

 

Ten minutes has passed. I decided to wait for my chauffeur at the lobby to pick me up. I stood up but then I felt a pang of pain in my head. I tried to get myself steady when she heard footsteps come nearing her. I look up to search her psychologist concern face to greet me but the figure in front of me is someone beyond her expectation.

I frowned when she saw a little girl—maybe around her age—stood there in the door. Her black hair covered her face and only the lower part of her face visible. That white skin, that small lip… it felt so familiar. Then she muttered inaudible words in her breath. It's just a short word. She don't do anything but just stand there muttering the words. She said it repeatedly and in fast motion, but I can comprehend that words.

“I hate you” She said, “You are a murderer. I hate you”

And then that eyes glaring at me. I froze, the time feels like stopping when I finally saw her face. That familiar face that I used to see as my reflection. My mouth agape as my brain still trying to comprehend the scene before me.

“I hate you” She said again. Her voice suddenly becomes more and more audible and repeating itself in my brain.

I’m scared. I lift my hand to cover my mouth. It’s shaking badly.

I’m scared. I feel like about to thrown up hearing those same hateful words from her. But then suddenly she becomes quiet. I encourage myself to take a little peek at her from the corner of my eyes into where she stood in front of me.

“Murderer” She said while smirking. It only takes that one word and all of my defense fall. My hands reach anything that near me and throw it away. I shrieked in horror, yelling at her to stop only to hear her devilish laugh echoing the room.

“No!” I squat down and close both of my ears.

“Murderer” She said again.

“No…” I shook my head and close my eyes.

“Murderer…”

“NO!!!” I repeat that word again and again and then suddenly I heard Doctor Kim barge in to the room and approach me. I push her away and keep saying ‘No’ to whatever questions she asked me. I figured the thing that I threw earlier is a vase, as I look at the shattered glass in the floor… But she is no longer stood there. She left no trace as if she was never being there in the first place.

I grab Doctor Kim sleeve tightly as I look at her confused face and said, “Help me”

---