I

Rain

“If you really love someone,just go for it. Don’t let cowardice cloud your love.”

Stupid billboard ad.

Apparently,everything is against me today.

Sorry didn’t get a memo that I would be fighting against the world today,all alone.

pitter-patter pitter-patter pitter-patter pitter-patter pitter-patter

Great,now it’s raining,and I don’t have an umbrella or even a coat. It was smoldering hot just awhile ago. Really thanks World.

What got me so pissed you ask?

First thing in the morning,I receive a message from my beloved boyfriend saying:

“B,we need to talk. I have to tell you something important. Meet me at our fave place?”

So me,the stupid and lovesick girl that I am,went there after taking a hasty shower and grabbing slightly burned toast.

I arrive at the café,slightly flustered and sweaty,since it was hot outside. I ordered an Iced Caramel Macchiato with extra Hazelnut Syrup,exactly how I like it.

I sat down at the corner of the café,with a serving number in hand,exactly where we first met.

FLASHBACK

I sat down on the last free table in the café with my number.

The place seems crowded today,I wonder why.

I drum my fingers on the table,anticipating the latte that I ordered. It’s been cold out for the past few days and I need to warm myself up for the study session tonight with my friends from university. So I passed by my fave café on the way home to get my fix and gather my thoughts for awhile.

“Miss Jinri?”

A soft voice pushes me out of my thoughts.

“Yes?” I asked the guy,now staring at me with a curious smile.

“Here’s a Caramel Macchiato,Iced with extra Hazelnut syrup, for the lady who’s too immersed in her thoughts” He said handing me the coffee.

“B-b-b-ut..”I stuttered,but he was already far away

FLASHBACK END

Since then I always went to this café for my daily fix of coffee and…him. He always remembers my name,I didn’t need to tell him, for my cup. In my down days, he always added more hazelnut syrup in my Caramel Macchiato, saying “A pretty lady like you shouldn’t be frowning.” When he’s on his break,he would text me to come by the café and taste his new creations. Some were not so good,but some were already added to menu by now.

In those little things,we developed a sort of mutual understanding of what our relationship was. We were together,but with no labels. Our so-called relationship has been going strong for exactly 2 years now and we started living together just a few months back from today. It’s been rough but we’ve been getting through tough spots together.

“Jinri?”

It’s that same voice that pushed me out of my reverie exactly 2 years ago.

“Hey Baekhyunnie~”I smile widely,but falter when I see his face.

He was frowning,with his eyes red,from crying possibly.

What happened?

“What’s wrong?”I ask him as I cupped his face with my hands.

He flinches away.

I’m startled by the reaction. He hasn’t once flinched from my soft touches. Never in our 2 years.

Something must really be wrong.

“Jinri,I’m sorry.”he said as he placed my cup of latte in front of me.

“This isn’t what I ordered. Baek,what’s wrong?”I whispered,my voice unable to come out.

He sits down,opposite from me and holds both of my hands.

“Jinri,I’m breaking up with you. I can’t do this anymore. I like Yoona.”

The tears that were held up started flowing down on my face.

“I’m really sorry. I didn’t tell you because you were so happy when I asked you to move in and I didn’t know that I would feel like this after…..” He said, pleading me to calm down.

You don't have to say anything more.

I didn’t say anything as I grabbed my wallet and keys, stood up and stormed out the café.

Why? Is it because I didn’t give him what he wants? Is it because I’m a ? And that woman gave him the heavens? F him.

I continue walking, with no destination in mind. I just walked where my feet led me. Then it started puring cats and dogs.

Great. Just great.

I ran to the nearest waiting shed for shelter. I sat down and try to wring my clothes dry,especially my long skirt.

“No umbrella?”a deep voice said.

I look to where the voice came from and it was from a tall guy in the rain,holding up an umbrella.

I look at him and frown.

Why is he talking to me?

He sits down beside me,offering his handkerchief.

I take it,staring at him wide eyed.

“Why are you helping me?”I ask.

“Cause I’m a gentleman.”he answers,grinning at me.

I smile back at him,feeling a bit better after all that happened.

I dry my face and arms with his handkerchief while he just listens to the music from his earphones.

Girls’ Generation. Hmph.

I pluck up the courage and hold up my hand.

“I’m Jinri,you are?”

He looks at me,smiling, grabs my hand and says “Chanyeol. Nice to meet you Jinri-ssi”.

Maybe I’m not fighting against the world alone after all.