Episode 8

Marry U

Soomin took out her phone and stared at it. Kai had saved his number in her phone earlier that day. He even added a heart at the back of his name. She smiled slightly thinking back of the first time they exchanged numbers when they were trainees. He did the exact same thing. Just that back then, it was saved as “Jongin” instead of “Kai”.
 
Before they left their show house, Kai told her to text him when she arrived home. Was he being serious? She wanted to forget about it and he would text her if he wanted to but she realized he didn’t have her number. She sighed and punched in a quick text message before sending it.
 
A message arrived on Kai’s phone. He smiled to himself, knowing who sent it. He typed and sent, “Hey, thanks for eating the food just now though it tasted bad.” He set his phone down and waited for a reply. He waited and waited but it didn’t come. 
Was she mad about the food? It seemed like there were more and more things for her to be upset about.
 
The next morning, there was still no text. The guilt in Kai worsened. He felt he should do something nice for her during the upcoming episode, only this time he'll prepare and do it well. Dialing the number of his manager, he excitedly thought about what kind of events he could plan for her.
 
“Hyung! What’s the schedule for filming this week? I want to plan something!” He proudly announced into the phone as soon as his manager picked up.
 
His manager sighed loudly. “Sorry to disappoint but filming this week has been canceled. Soomin isn’t feeling well and won’t be able to make it for filming the day after tomorrow. But don’t worry about your schedule, you’ll join the rest of the members with what they’re doing." 
 
He ended the conversation with a heavy heart. Did he cause her to fall sick? He got his manager to text him the address to Soomin’s dorm. He would pay her a visit that evening after practice.
 
“Do you guys want to go grab some bubble tea?” Sehun chirped after practice that night. “We didn’t drink it in awhile! Let’s go!”
 
“Yeah! Let’s go!” Luhan exclaimed excitedly, exchanging a fist bump with Sehun.
 
Kai shifted nervously. “Um… You guys go ahead. I’ve somewhere to be tonight. I’ll see you back at the dorm.”
 
“Wha… Where are you going? Taemin is busy today, isn’t he?” DO asked, a little disappointed.
 
Suho smiled and nodded knowingly. “Go ahead. Everyone needs some alone time. Don’t be back too late!”
 
Kai returned a thankful smile and hurried to leave. He stopped to grab some soup and fruits before making his way to Soomin’s house. He wore a hoody with a cap underneath and a mask covering half his face. He even had to use a different exit to prevent fans from following him. It would definitely make the news if he were spotted going to her house outside of the filming schedule.
 
Her dorm wasn’t too far from the EXO dorm. Many singers and actors were staying in the area, as it was known to be a safe place with sufficient security. He managed to arrive at her dorm building without anyone noticing him or pointing him out. He showed signs of nervousness as the elevator door opened. The elevator ride lasted for about two minutes before arriving at her level. There was only two apartments on each floor so it didn’t take him long to find hers. He pressed the doorbell after hesitating for a moment.
 
“Jongin? What are you doing here?” Soomin was shocked to see him.
 
He was shocked too; hearing her call him by his real name, something he hasn’t heard her say for years. It took him awhile to regain his senses. “Um… I heard you were sick so I brought some soup for you.”
 
“Oh… Please come in.” She awkwardly made way for him to pass, catching a whiff of his all too familiar scent, almost causing her insides to tingle.
 
He made his way to her dining table and laying out the food on the table. “Have you eaten?”
 
“Not yet. I haven’t had the appetite.” She admitted, rubbing her hand over her slightly bloated belly. “The doctor said it’ll be like this for a few days because there’s lots of acid inside.”
 
“Did the doctor say what’s the cause?” He started looking guilty and she noticed it.
 
“Probably just exhaustion.” She lied. She didn’t want him to feel bad and worried about it.
 
He looked slightly relieved but still worried. “Have some soup?”
 
“Yup, thanks. I will. If you have something on, you can go ahead you know?” She said, awkwardly.
 
He sat himself down at the table. “I’ll leave when you’re done with the soup.” He smiled slightly, hoping she wouldn’t chase him out. She didn’t, to his relief. Truth was, he was really worried but he was also afraid to reveal too much of his emotions. He wasn’t fully sure what happened in the past. It was something that neither of them felt comfortable to talk about yet. However, he hoped that one day they would get close enough to talk comfortably about the past.
 
The atmosphere began to feel even more awkward than before, as they didn’t say anything. He was quietly watching her finish the soup and she was drinking silently. He felt the need to break the silence. “D-do you think it was the food I made that made you sick?”
 
She dropped the spoon and looked up at him. Disbelief was all over her face. “Is that why you’re here?”
 
“Huh?” He was confused with her sudden question.
 
“You’re worried about the bad publicity you’ll receive if people found out it was the food you made that got me sick?” Her voice was monotonous and emotionless.
 
He couldn’t believe his ears. “That’s not what I said! I came because I was really worried about you! And if it really was caused by what I made, I wanted to make sure you were okay!”
 
“I’ll be fine! I always have been looking out for myself anyway. I told you before I’m not looking to make friends. So you can save your worry for someone else.” Her voice was cold.
 
He stood up from his seat. “I’m not looking to be friends either! Ever since we started filming this, we’ve been in this together! You’re just like a colleague to me and shouldn’t I still show some concern toward a colleague? I'm just doing my job. You know what? Forget it! Forget that I came. If even being colleagues is something too difficult, maybe strangers would be better.” With that he headed for the door and left, slamming it shut. 


Posted 24th April 2014.