Chapter 1

Romeo and Cinderella

Bold = Korean

Italics = Chinese

A young man pulled his black suitcase through Korea’s Incheon airport; he looked around for a young lady whom he was supposed to meet. Eventually, he spotted her in a white sundress.

“Luhan gege!” She smiled.

The man, now known as Luhan pulled her into a hug. “How’s my cousin?”

The young lady is Tasha, the younger cousin of Luhan, who lives and works in Korea. Tasha led her cousin to her car and handed him a set of keys.

“This is the key to your apartment and mine as well.” Said Tasha.

Tasha drove through the streets of Seoul, before they arrived an apartment building. Tasha showed Luhan his apartment, which was just opposite of hers.

“I’ll show you the shop tomorrow. I’ve stocked up your fridge and all the other necessary things can be found in the house. The deed for the apartment is in your bedroom. I’ll have dinner ready in an hour; I’ll bring it over and help you unpack.” Explained Tasha.

Luhan nodded and entered his new house which would be his home for the next few years. Luhan’s wife had died three years ago in an unfortunate accident which also claimed his father-in-law’s life. He has since moved out of his in-laws’s place. Luhan’s late wife, Xu Jia Ling, was the daughter of Xu Wei Jie, the CEO of a large hotel business in China. He still keeps in contact with his late wife’s family, but decided to move to Korea for a fresh start in his life. He contacted his cousin, Tasha who was from Singapore, as she worked and lived here. Tasha offered to employ him as a manager in her wedding planning business as her former manager had quit a few months ago. Luhan accepted the offer and Tasha helped him find an apartment near the shop.

Luhan started unpacking and went to check the cupboards. He found cups and packets of instant ramen, remembering that Tasha told him that ramen was a pretty large part of Korean meals. Luhan also found the books which he had sent over earlier this week, Luhan spoke Korean quite well, as part of his job during his time as manager at his late wife’s hotel business. But he still wasn’t as good as native Koreans, so he sent over the books that he used to study Korean before. He found his fridge stocked up with food as well. He found an electric kettle and boiled some water for himself. He washed the cups and placed them to dry on the kitchen sink. Luhan unpacked the boxes scattered around the apartment. Luhan was so engrossed in unpacking that he didn’t realise that Tasha had come over with dinner.    

“Gege, dinner is ready.” Said Tasha, as she tapped his shoulder.

Tasha brought over a pot of rice, a plate of vegetables and fried chicken. She set them on the table as Luhan washed the plates. After dinner, Tasha helped Luhan unpack his things. Boxes were still scattered around the apartment, but Tasha had helped Luhan unpack his personal things like CD collections before he had arrived.

“How have you been lately?” Asked Tasha?

“I haven’t been able to concentrate on work, so I decided to go abroad.” Replied Luhan.

“I know it’s hard for you, but Jia Ling Jie would want you to move on and you have but it still haunts you right?” Asked Tasha.

“Can you speak in Korean to me? I need to improve it now that I’m here.” Said Luhan, changing the subject entirely.

“If that’s what you want oppa.” Nodded Tasha.

“What’s the shop like?” Asked Luhan?

“You’ll love your colleagues, they are all very nice people and I have friends who own a flower shop beside us. I’ll introduce them to you tomorrow.” Said Tasha. 

Tasha and Luhan spent the rest of the evening catching up and Tasha briefly told him what to expect on his first day on the job.


The next day…

Tasha drove Luhan to the shop after breakfast, but they weren’t the first ones there. Tasha’s photographer, Kim Myungsoo, had already arrived and opened up the shop. Myungsoo was currently opening up the shop’s curtains, he waved to his boss.

“Myungsoo, meet Luhan. He’s my cousin and he’ll be the manager of our shop from today onwards. Myungsoo is our head photographer.” Said Tasha.

Luhan bowed to the younger man, “It’s nice to meet you, I’m Xi Luhan. I look forward to working with you.”

“I’m Kim Myungsoo, it’s nice to meet you.” Said Myungsoo.

Myungsoo offered a handshake and Luhan took it. Luhan then proceeded to help Tasha and Myungsoo open up the shop. Another young man entered the shop with two brown packages.

“Thanks for collecting them Ilhoon, put those by my computer.” Said Myungsoo.

“Luhan, this is Ilhoon. He’s the location manager; his job is to find locations for couples to hold their weddings.” Said Tasha.

Ilhoon smiled, “It’s nice to meet you, I’m Jung Ilhoon.”

“I’m Xi Luhan, I look forward to having a good working relationship with you.”

Ilhoon offered Luhan a handshake, and Luhan accepted it. The four went back to opening up the shop before the rest of the staff arrived. Luhan helped Myungsoo with the photos while Ilhoon was with a customer who had several places they wanted to hold their wedding. Tasha was designing a few bridesmaids’ dresses. The others had ran him through on his duties and the wedding packages they offered.

Luhan found his colleagues to be very welcoming and friendly. He had become friends with Myungsoo and Ilhoon, and the offered to show him the flower shop that they had a partnership with when they went out for lunch. The flower shop wasn’t too far from the boutique.

“This is it, Blooming Flowers.” Said Myungsoo, pointing to a shop they were approaching.

The three men entered the shop and two young ladies greeted them.

“Ilhoon, Myungsoo, what brings you the shop today?” Asked one of the ladies.

“We are here to introduce our new colleague, Xi Luhan. He’s Tasha’s cousin from China.” Said Ilhoon.

“Nice to meet you, Luhan-shi. I’m Bae Suzy. And that’s Ahn Sohee, we co-own this shop.” Said Suzy, smiling before pointing to Sohee.

“It’s nice to meet you both, I hope we can get along with each other.” Said Luhan.

“No need to be so formal with us Luhan-shi.” Said Suzy.

Myungsoo frowned, “I never knew that you were so quick to start casual talk with someone whom you’ve just met.”

Suzy threw a glare towards Myungsoo, “What I do is none of your business.”

“Then why are you so cold to me but so nice to Ihoon?” Remarked Myungsoo.

Suzy sighed, “Why do you care so much about my opinion of you?”

Myungsoo smirked, “Because it’s important.”

Suzy sighed and continued glaring at Myungsoo, while Luhan looked on in confusion.

“They are always like that.” Piped Sohee.

“Yeah, you’ll get used to it.” Nodded Ilhoon.

Luhan nodded and the three men bid their friends farewell before leaving the shop. The three men went back to the shop and resumed their duties. Luhan attended to a customer while Myungsoo attended to a couple who had come to see their wedding photos. Ilhoon was making a few calls for a customer while Tasha helped a soon to be bride find the perfect wedding dress.