Final

Mysterious Stranger

“Oh come on! It’s not that hard to start a conversation, Doo! You met her every-day. You need to start talking to your mysterious stranger, Mr. Yoon.” She said as she walks across the road, her phone sticks to her ear. It’s almost a routine for her to talks with him over phone.

 

“I don’t meet her every day, Yoojin. I just saw her every day.” Her friend talks back over the phone. And Yoojin chuckled at his answer.

 

“What’s the difference, Doo? Seriously.. I bet she must notice you somehow..” Yoojin said again, trying to build her friend’s confidence.

 

She could hear him let out a sigh, before he answers “I really hope so. God. I really want to meet you, and see you in person, Yoojin.”

 

She let out a laugh, “Meet me after you succeed on talking to your crush, Doo.”

 

He let out a laugh, “It’s funny, right? We never really met face to face, but somehow it feels like I’ve known you since forever.”

 

It’s true that both of them never met in person before. They start out for business, where she’s the one to call if he ever needs help with the new system his company bought from hers. But then somehow their conversation turns from work into something more relax, more common. From weather to food. From traffics to holidays. They’re both comfortable with their friendship, that they don’t even bother to arrange a meeting to meet face to face.  It’s a lie if they said they didn’t have even a slight curiosity for each other. But then knowing each other’s face isn’t the main point on their friendship. It’s the feeling of comfortable, the feeling of enjoying the small talks that matters to them.

 

She smile as she walks into her favorite coffee-shop, inhaling her favorite scent in the world, “Well.. You don’t have to meet someone in person to be a friend, right?”

 

“You got a point there, friend. Are you done with your lunch?”

 

“I’m getting my second coffee for today. Lots of works to do today.” She answers, before saying her order to the cashier, and pays the amount.

 

“Don’t stay out too late, and don’t forget to eat dinner, Lee. Why did you have so much works these days?”

 

Yoojin chuckled, “I’m no boss like you, Yoon Doojoon. Besides it’s near our monthly analysis. So, yeah I have so much things to do.”

 

Doojoon laughs at the other end, “Actually as a boss, we actually have more things to do than you are.”

 

Yoojin scoffs, “Then how could you go around so leisurely every day?”

 

“Simple. It’s because I know how to work effectively.”

 

“So, you’re saying that I don’t work effectively? Gee. Thanks for the praise, Doo.” Yoojin shakes her head as she took the paper-cup, and thanks the barista briefly.

 

Doojoon chuckled, “You’re very welcome, Lee!”

 

Yoojin laugh at his words, “Got to go now, Doo. Don’t forget to start a conversation with her tomorrow.”

 

“Fine. I’ll try. I can’t promise anything, though.”

 

Yoojin shakes her head, “Whatever. It’s up to you. Bye, Doo!” She said before ending the call, and put her phone back to her bag.

 

*****

 

It’s been almost a year since Doojoon starts his friendship with Lee Yoojin, who he knows works as one of the system expert in Cube Tech, where his company bought some system to improve their website. But it’s been more than a year since he has this crush over someone. That’s if it can be considered as a crush. Unlike any other CEO, he prefer going to works with subways and bus. That’s where he first met her.

 

She always sits in the farthest bench on the subway, with a book on her hand. She has a long dark-brown hair that usually covers her face as she was deep into reading her book. Sometimes she would smile as she reads the book while waiting for the train. Some other times she would frown as she read another book. It always amused him at somehow every single morning; he would always see one familiar face, sitting in the farthest bench, falling deep into the book she read.

 

The problem is that Doojoon never have any enough courage to start any kind of small conversation with her. Even though he always rides the same train with her, and purposely stops on the same station as hers, even though it’s 2 stations before his real stop. At the first month he just starts to match his schedule, so he could always arrive at the subway precisely at 7 o clock in the morning every day and see her arrive, and sits on the bench. Few weeks after he starts to ride the same train as her. Another weeks, and he starts to get down on the same stop as hers. Few months after he starts to stand near her on the train. That’s it. Yoon Doojoon didn’t have any courage to start even the slightest conversation with her, and it’s weird ‘cause he usually talks a lot. But in front of his mysterious stranger, he find himself couldn’t even start a conversation.

 

“It’s not that hard to start a conversation, Doo!” He remembers what Yoojin said yesterday. Maybe it’s not that hard to start a small talk. What should I talk about? The weather? The crowds? Or a simple good morning?

 

He ruffles his hair in frustration. Why is it that hard to start a conversation? He sigh in defeat, playing with a pen on his hand. If only I could met Yoojin in a person, she might have some more advices. He thought to himself.

 

A knock in the door distracts him from his thoughts, as he quickly let out “Come in.”

 

*****

 

Determine to start talking to his stranger, Doojoon wakes up earlier than usual. He hardly eats his usual breakfast, too nervous over what he will talks about later. He wears his usual white shirt, adding with it a deep-blue tie, a black suit, and a brown long coat. He tightens his coat as he walks out of his apartment building. The chilling winter won’t leave them until some months later. As soon as he arrive at the subway, he quickly walks to the third farthest bench, and sits there, where he turns to his left but his stranger wasn’t there yet. He checks his watch, 6.50 AM. She might be a little late today, he thought. He shrugs, and decides to just wait her anyway.

 

Almost thirty minutes later, he heard some sloppy steps behind him. He turns around only to see his stranger, walking fast to her usual place, before she let out a relief sigh. He smiles to himself as soon as he saw her. He still somehow manages to take a peek at her and he saw her write something on her phone. Still in his curious state, wondering whatever it is that she wrote, he felt his phone vibrates. He pulls out the phone from her pocket, and quickly opens it.

 

From: Lee Yoojin

Don’t you forget to start any kind of talks with her today, or I’ll push you off from Namsan Tower.

 

He laugh at the text Yoojin sent him. Before he quickly replies,

I’m trying my best, okay? You’re supposed to support me, not kill me.

 

He turns his gaze back to his stranger after he hit the send button. His stranger is now sitting with a book on her hands, just like any other day. But then she pulls out her phone from her pocket, and laugh at whatever it is in there. She quickly types on her phone again, before she puts her phone back to her pocket in a hurry as the train has arrived.

 

The last thing Doojoon remembered before he got into the train, is that his phone was once again vibrates, signaling another message arrived.

 

*****

 

Yoojin puts in her book back to her bag as she stands leaning on the metal stands at the train on her usual place. The train wasn’t that crowded in this time of the day, she still didn’t get any seat but she always love to travels to her office this way Not too crowded, but not too quiet either. She recognized some of the faces that usually ride the train together at this time of the day. A warm-looking ahjussi who she recognize already for being in the same train every day, throw her a smile. She quickly smiles back with a little bow before turning back to face the window.

 

She pulls out her phone as she felt it vibrating non-stop. She looks at the caller ID for a few seconds before she answers the call.

 

“Oh, Doo. Why are you calling me? Aren’t you trying to start a conversation with her?” Yoojin said wondering why he calls her instead of initiating the talk with his crush.

 

“What should I talk about?” He ask in the other end, and Yoojin sigh.

 

“Anything, Doo. The weather, the train, a simple hello, or anything. Just talk about some random things would be good too.” Yoojin answered, but she only heard him chuckled.

 

“Well then, hello..” A familiar voice said right beside her.

 

She quickly turns around when she felt a presence and a very familiar voice right beside her. There, stood just right beside her, a man in his middle twenties with a brown coat and a phone on his ear, one hand on the railing above him, smiling at her.

 

She turns her gaze back to her phone and then back to the guy next to him few times, when she heard him chuckled.

 

Yoojin turns her gaze back at him, before she let out the question in her mind, “Doojoon?”

 

The guy beside her smiles and put his phone back to his pocket after ending the call. She does the same thing, putting her phone back to her jacket pocket carefully, without breaking off her gaze.

 

Doojoon smiles at her again, “Good morning, my stranger.”

 

Yoojin’s eyes widened as she heard those words. She was still too shocked to process his words when he said again, “Nice to finally meet you in person, Lee Yoojin.” He says as he lends out his hand.

 

A smile slowly crept to her face as she starts to process what just happens. She lends out her hand to meet his, as both of them smile.

 

“Nice to finally meet you too, Yoon Doojoon.”

 

He let out a small laugh as he says, “Well turns out my stranger is not really a stranger. Breakfast?”

 

Yoojin laughs a little before she nods, “Breakfast sounds good.”

 

They turns back facing the window, with their fingers intertwined, both never have any intentions to let it go.

 

*****END*****

 

a/n:
super random, right? LOL.
comments and subscribers are always welcome, but still hope you enjoy the super short fic! :)