000 - Prologue

The Lost Twin

---

Two men stood on opposite ends of the narrow moonlit lane, guns directed at each other's chest. For a second, they stood quite still. Then recognising each other, they started walking briskly in the same direction. 

"Did you bring what I asked?" asked the taller of the two. 

"Yes" replied Mr Kwon. "Did you?" 

The other nodded and held up the briefcase. 

"It's all in here, everything you need to get started on your business".

Mr Kwon nodded, handing over the new born. "It's a girl..." he began but stopped, it was no longer his place to say anything. 

"I know, don't worry. She'll grow up well." and with that the taller man walked off, disappearing into the darkeness.

Mr Kwon was now alone in the alley, lost in thought, trying to convince himself he had made the right decision. It was a sacrifice that needed to be made. He told himself. 

"I'm sorry Hee Joo" he whispered into the thin air and turned to go. 

---

 

 

A pair of majestic iron gates swung open at an approaching car. As the mercedes pulled up infront of the grand manor, a handsome man stepped out from the driver's side with an umbrella and quickly rushed to shield the sixteen year old from the heavy rain, only to find his daughter had already slipped out the car and was halfway across the 

"Ji Hae! Come back here! You're going to catch a cold!" her father bellowed. 

At her father's booming voice, the young girl dashed towards him, setting herself next to him with an umbrella over her head. 

"Not fair" she groaned. 

Another umbrella opened and out stepped a tall, slim woman. 

"Ji Hae, your father and I know you love the rain but it's raining too heavily you'll get sick too quickly."

"Ne, umma" Ji Hae sighed dejectedly. 

The three turned to head indoors when-  "GHOST! MUM! DAD! THERE'S A GHOST" Ji Hae screamed, pointing to the ghostly figure standing on the steps of their home. 

Mr and Mrs Kwon pulled their daughter towards them and both placed a protective arm around their precious daughter. 

A pale looking girl stood on the steps of their grand home, drenched from the pouring rain. Her frail body shivered uncontrollably under Seoul's merciless winter conditions. After taking a closer look, Ji Hae realised that it wasn't a ghost but a girl. She didn't look any older than Ji Hae was.

The girl's long black hair draped over her face like seaweed, so it was difficult to assess her features. Was it someone she knew? The possibility of it wasn't big but there was something oddly familiar about the girl she couldn't shake off. Like a connection - one she couldn't explain. 

After the shock had worn off, the girl slowly lifted her head and with teary eyes finally spoke. 

"Mom..." her voice was barely a whisper but none the less they all heard it. A small gasp escaped Mrs Kwon's lips as their eyes met. "Y-you're...." 

Mr Kwon took a step back, startled by the girl's striking resemblance to his own daughter. A second later, a look of fear overrided the shock. It can't be...Hee Joo? 

Ji Hae grabbed her father’s arm. “Who is she? Why did she call my mother, mom?” she asked her father, confused by the girl’s sudden addressing.

*Silence* 

 

“Omo, saesanghae” Mrs Kwon’s voice broke the stillness. “You - you’re alive? Hee Joo is that you?” her voice was shaky, broken almost. The young girl gave a small nod, confirming that she was indeed Hee Joo. Clasping a hand over , Mrs Kwon ran over and enveloped the young girl in a tight hug. “Yeobo, hurry up and open the door or our Hee Joo is going to catch a cold”. 

 

Our Hee Joo?” Ji Hae’s voice broke out. 

 

Mrs Kwon turned around and smiled. “Yes, Ji Hae. She’s your sister. You have a twin sister.”