Part 2

The Last Symphony.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***

It went on like that for a couple more weeks then it became months.

I’d meet her every weekend at the park, sometimes I’d pick her up and Eddie at their house and jog together, eat together, go to the grocery together, we’ve been hanging out and doing most things together until one day… we were out for a walk at Han River when she asks…

“How’s your song?”

“Song? What song?”

“The one you told me about? The reason why you went to the park?”

“Oh… that.”

“So…?”

“I haven’t started anything yet. I’m trying, I really am but I just can’t find the inspiration to write one.”

She looks at me with pursed lips.

“But that was four months ago!” she exclaims.

“Hey, hey, no pressure. The company isn’t asking for it yet so, don’t stress yourself too much Ji Hyo.”

“I will help you!”

“Really? How?” I say chuckling in between words.

“Write a song for me.”

“For… you?”

“Yep! I demand for it to be finished Saturday next week.”

“One week isn’t enough! What if I can’t finish it next week?”

“Oh come on! I know you can do it, Hyunnie! But, if you can’t finish it by next week, I’m afraid you’ll never see me again.” She says nonchalantly. I don’t know if she’s trying to tell me something or trying to give me a hint I can’t really tell.

In the four months that we’ve been hanging out, we’ve been inseparable so I am confident to say that she can’t be serious.

“I doubt that.” I say smugly.

She smiles weakly.

A thought crosses my mind.

“Oh, Ji Hyo.”

“Mmm?”

“That day… when I first approached you, you were at the church.”

“Yeah…and?”

“What were you praying about?”

For a moment she falls silent, I see shock and panic in her eyes.

I wonder why.

“I… was…. praying for a miracle to happen.”

“Miracle? What for?”

“Eddie is sick… he’s dying.” She chokes on the last word.

“What?! No wonder he isn’t with us today.”

“Yeah. Long story…”

Ji Hyo is an independent woman and Eddie has been her companion for a long time.  She does everything with Eddie, they even sleep on the same bed; sometimes I wish I was Eddie.

Kidding.

Kidding… again.

“Is he getting better?”

“He- Uhm… his doctor said he only has little time left.”

“Oh.” Was all I could say. Poor Eddie… “Then… that means you’ll be living alone again… or are you planning on getting a new dog?”

“No one can ever replace Eddie...”

“You can’t live alone!” I said almost too immediately.

She laughs. “Why not?”

Because living alone would mean loneliness and you don’t deserve to be lonely Ji Hyo. I want to see you happy every moment because you are the person who brings sunshine to my rainy days and I want to be the person who will make you feel loved and needed.

Because I love you.

I love you, Ji Hyo.

I’ve never had this kind of realization until now but I don’t say it to her.

I don’t have the courage to, so I lie.

“Because, that would mean I would have to spend more time with you! Do you know how inconvenient that is for me?” I laugh.

“YAH! I’m not forcing you to come with me every day!”

“HAHA! I’m just kidding you gullible kid!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter