Misinterpretation of Weather

Misinterpretation of Weather

Through the years, no scientist yet has discovered the true and exact science to prediction. From their simple barometers to advanced seismographs, forecasting small casualties of weather to deadly natural disasters, both refuse to be envisioned by human species' feeble mechanisms. They reject predictions as to tomorrow's heavy rain and next year's traumatic fifth degree earthquake. 
 

Why? Simply because nature repels the idea of being easily read. 

 

 

Xiao Luhan knew exactly that, being the fairly well-known weather forecaster of one of Seoul's moderately viewed channels. A satisfactory status for now, yet one that he was earnestly working towards outshining.

Through trial and error, from the budding age of a young boy watching the skies till he was a grown man and could faciliate high-level techonology, he learned accuracy was impossible. Weather in particular seemed to be resistant to what it preached; read as stormy the previous day and coming out as the hottest day of the month. Even with all the frustrations of the wrong outcomes, however, he persistently believed it was still necessary to have predictions; for what else would citizens use as a guide of what to dress or appropriate scheduling? Everyone had a job to help uphold society and this was his, even when it meant late shifts checking up on calculations and perfecting the next day's airing. Even as he arrived late to his shared apartment with cold food resting on his plate- a predicament which seemed to be happening more often than not. 

For even then he would return to the cosy warmth of the spacious apartment flat with its creamy furniture and familiar yet very subtle traces of chamomile scents. Most importantly of all, he would reconcile with the waiting arms of his unproclaimed lover where he would trade his confident, professional aura to the meek yet bubbly self Sehun preferred.

The same routines would be replayed, where the blonde would ask the petite other about his day, long fingers sweeping away the hair from the elders's face. Everyday, Suhan would smile broadly as he announced, "I was just watching this highly attractive weather reporter on TV all evening," to which Luhan would arch a perfect brow and reply with a similar grin, "Hm? Funny. My segment aired approximately the same time." The elder had to admit to himself, he loved how the latter would react as he began mumbling incoherent things about his lover being so thick before the tight embrace was reestablished.

Kisses would be planted on one another's lips throughout the course of their dinner, sneaked in occasionally or just plain out given, in between the consumption of whomever's food. The elder male would recount his day once again in finer detail animatedly as Sehun sat and watched with a smile along his lips, following every hand gesture the latter made with his gaze. Luhan talked and Sehun listened, it was as easy as the assumption that weather with fluffy white clouds and a sunny atmosphere was a good day out in the park.

Oh Sehun didn't like to talk much, after all. And he wouldn't for a while, as their story goes. 

Further indulgences in one another occurred at better days when soft, playful kisses did not satisfy and the locations varied for this activity. Be it their king-sized bed, their sizeable loveseat couch, or steamy showers which they'd take upon both males' returns and no earlier. 

Weekends brought short shifts for Luhan and absence of college courses for Sehun, and their time together would finally be enough to be invested in proper dates that interchanged in destinations. Fancy yet undoubtedly comfortable cafes that overlooked the busy streets of Seoul when the elder warned that rain could be present. Sandy and welcoming waters of the beaches when the weather was predicted as sunny and, as Luhan would brightly exclaim, "perfect conditions to visit the coast!" Then, other whereabouts when they were feeling out of the ordinary, or when the weather predictions would permit neither. That category fluctuated from clubs in which the younger excelled, moving his agile body about the dance floor, to karaoke rooms where the latter would unveil his own skill as his clear voice hit every note, sparing the songs' artist no justice. 

Habitual routines were the core of their intimate relationship; not that the couple minded at the least. As in the weather mindset, a consistent chain of events were signs of relaxation and a change meant foreboding skies and uneasiness.

But all habits and day-to-day routines were made to be broken.

 

 

Sehun didn't understand why meteorology was necessary at all sometimes as he leaned against the window.

When his fingers were sore from papercuts having flicked through thick lots of paper for the past handful of hours, as he rested them against the cool glass, it made no sense at all.

His face, which he caught sometimes in the reflection would bring him even more confusion to the subject, he didn't like when he did so. Invisible strings pulled his skin back tighter and tighter with each day, stretching it till it his facial bone structure threatened to rip through the weak skin- Sehun felt it every long day he spent on his own. There were times when he screamed at the vision but he lost that hope, you had to have the air to make such noises. There were days where he wondered who the culprits were that were unsheating him from his own body. There were too many candidates: his parents whose shame for their wayward son drove him to an independent life, the slow-paced life of college that he wouldn't have attended save from wanting to be better for Luhan, and finally the man himself whose love was so sweet it drowned him. 

Now, he saw it as he wavered between spots by the window then to the shower. His eyes detested what they saw yet were addicted, sometimes he stared at his deteoriating body as it seemed to crack before is own eyes from being drawn back so tightly. Before the bathroom mirror, he stood on worse days.  All as the digital clock crawled slowly past hours that he lost track of. 

But the taut strings let loose around Luhan, forgot their grip and in those moments Sehun forgot the tricks his mind deluded him with. He became happy and almost shed that skin that would suffocate him so. He hated when Luhan came home sometimes, when he forgot pain. Because it hurt twice as much when he left again, the strings pulled mercilessly back to how they were, adding several more ounces of strength to their motions. It spread to his body next, Sehun can't remember when, but it did and he watched it transform him blankly.

These were the reasons he wished the world had only constant, unchanging weather. Maybe he'd be more of interest.

 

On a particular Sunday, the airing room of the Incheon Daily News Feed building grew dank as the green-screen of a certain weather anchor consistently malfunctioned, calling for a third re-attempt. The Chinese weather forecaster had gone through the same motions and speech obediently every try but his bright aura had visibly been tethered, especially as another take went down the drain. The exasperated camera crew let out a curt, "Cut," and collective sighs were gathered from everyone present. The wild thought of the weather predictions being wrong after all this effort strayed in Luhan's head as the director as well as the camera crew gathered in a huddle and he composed himself and bit back the urge to put voice to his thought. The man ran his hands over his face gently in effort to calm himself. Only to be disturbed by an affirmative voice dismissing him, playing over the suitable footage on his bulky computer, explaining that he'll work with what they have for the day. 
And Luhan left with little to no hesitation.

It was a quarter to three hours after when he'd usually be back home, judging by the hands on his ornate wristwatch as he let himself into his home. He ached for his counterpart to confide the day's events in as well as the soothing touches that would turn his grey-clouded day into one of bright skies. His mind felt like it would only be at rest with Sehun. And he knew he'd be waiting for him as he always was, sweeping him away from the mindset of the outside world, guiding him into a more pleasant one as they followed their daily unofficial 'schedule' of sorts. Yet, when the elder entered their living room, he was not greeted by the sight of his boyfriend, but instead the sound of water streaming emanating from their bathroom. The faint sounds of it hitting the pale blue tiles half-visible from the partly open door. His heart dropped a few degrees at the trivial break of conduct no matter how irrational it seemed. Sehun took a shower without him, severing their routine. But what could be expected due to his almost three hour delay? 

It stung nevertheless as Luhan lay his blazer aside on the arm of the couch and resorted to the kitchen for the time being. He decided he might as well begin with the preparation of dinner. Halfway through the cooking, as the elder set the knife aside, finally satisfied with the dicing of the ingredients, his work was interrupted by the deep octave of the younger male's voice. He felt his lungs begin to in air in  bountiful amounts once again, feel his pulse again.  "Luhan? I didn't hear you come in," and upon further observation of the latter's dress shirt and pants, added, "You didn't change."  

Slightly affected by the lack of usual greeting and the sight of the already fresh and clean other, Luhan took a second to decipher the younger's words enough to reply. "I'm making us dinner, today's my day," he said, quieter than usual, gesturing to the neatly cut vegetables and greased pan on the stove.

"I've already eaten," Sehun replied, remaining where he stood by the doorway, "You were late today."

Luhan seemed to frown for a split second before he caught himself, nodding and dropping his gaze as the second obstruction to their routine hit him more boldly than the first. He lately realized that a form of reply was needed as the tall male stood patiently, "Oh."

"Are you alright?" The younger asked in slight concern of the latter's visibly stressed demeanor.

"No," Luhan snapped all of a sudden, confirming the younger's suspicions. Head turning to face Sehun before continuing, agitation written all over the surfaces of his delicate facial features, "No, I am not."

The male took a step forward to console the younger, beginning to speak reassuringly, a tone conjured out of his relief to be saved, "It's been a tough day for both of us.."

"Sehun, you wouldn't know, okay?" Luhan spoke, clearly vexed as he rubbed his temples while watching the male approach, "You are just a college student." And he caught the said male stopping dead in his tracks as the words hung in the air.

If their relationship had any sort of taboo, the mentioning of age would definitely be it, a product of Sehun's apparent dislike of belittlement as well as the problems caused by it in the earlier phases of the couple's relationship. To say Luhan's words cut through a scar that had finally begun to heal would be an accurate description.

Almost instantly feeling regretful, the elder had the strong urge to halt Sehun's exit from the kitchen yet remained too stubborn to perform such a task as he watched the back of the man retreat into their bedroom without a word, signalling the end of their conversation as well as the hidden suggestion of the breach of their forbidden law. 

That day, Luhan realised belatedly, did not plan on letting him off easy.

 

Feeling stupid due to his fickle reactions towards the whole thing, Luhan excused himself to take a shower. Though he didn't want to without Sehun, he only did so to try and rid his system of the childish behavior. But throughout the process of purging it, pure and shameful anger began to boil inside the man, all he wanted to come home to was proof that today was like any day, and yet life just kept throwing obstacles at him to prove him that it was impossible. His dampened mood from the failure to film at work mixed with the coldness of the atmosphere at his own home, had morphed into a frustrated and furious spirit inside of him and spewed all over the one person he loved. And yet again, he had to bite his tongue to prevent himself to let out all the crude remarks in the book as the warmth of the water spraying out of the shower head was sharply replaced with bitter coldness. Pneumonia, something else to add onto the growing heap of the day's miseries. 

 

Slipping out of the bathroom not too long after, clad in a large t-shirt that was undoubtedly Sehun's and fleece pants, all Luhan wanted to do was collapse into the warm sheets and cuddle with the younger male to relieve the undying agitation that made his head throb painfully. For at least the last stage of their schedule should be met if all others failed. Admittedly, he was very reluctant to face the younger again after his burst of speech that kept itching at the back of his mind, replaying the facial expression adorned on Sehun's face. From the momentary glimpse of surprise, to the slight twinge of hurt, only to move to one of utter betrayal and even the strongest of men could not muster the courage to back himself up after that image.

Yet fatigue won over the hesitation and the meteorologist resorted to carefully pushing the door to their shared bedroom open, deciding the open wound he created would only get worse over time if both just left it be.

Perhaps the universe was sparing him some luck as he found Sehun on the side of their bed, seemingly awaiting him as he arranged a stack of his textbooks on the adorned bedside table. The elder's theory was only confirmed as the latter's brown eyes fleeted up to him upon his quiet entry, meeting his set of larger ones. Silence followed the conversation their gazes alone seemed to have and Luhan secretly wished that the pain and disappointment, as feeble as they both may be, did not reach his own pair of eyes.
Little did he know that Sehun shared the same wish.

Perhaps the elder's brown orbs gave it away as Sehun stood up and approached him, reading his lover's silent plea to make the first move as his arms  wrapped around Luhan's slim figure without hesitation. Forehead resting against forehead,  the unbudging silence continued to reside in their actions, only being severed as a shorter set of arms eventually returned the embrace. "Sorry," the deep-voiced male whispered, gaze fixated on the latter, searching for a reply in his doe-like eyes. He gained a small shake of the latter's head and tightening of their embrace as the apology he had been admittedly waiting for made him feel quite ashamed towards his hasty anger and rashness. Yet he felt shame run its course all over again as he, the instigator of the actions that lead them to the place they were in at the moment, was not the one apologizing but the opposite.

"Sehun, it's me that should be sorry," Luhan explained quietly, hugging the addressed man a fraction tighter in hope that even subtly bringing it up would cause the younger to leave again.

It was quiet for a couple of moments before a reply was gained and the other spoke, "Work is presumably harder than college life. I understand." And as if sensing an argument, lips met their partners and the taller male continued to murmur soft apologies between each kiss, to which Luhan merely accepted, returning each kiss as it was given. 
Apologies, however, could be given for multiple reasons.

Residing in one another's arms throughout the given night, the couple shared kisses with one another, promises of love slipped in  between and Luhan smiled a fraction at the return of their comfortable routine, gaining a similar one from the other before inching closer and finally putting his body to rest, the exhaustion finally overcoming the long ago dismissed anxiety as he fell into an undisturbed slumber. 

 

 

The next handful of weeks went by smoothly despite the last, with little to no disturbances as the two males became occupied in their different occupations and tasks, yet both had the same amount of time as always in the end, spending it together as they always had. With the only drastic change being the day Luhan finally had been given the chance of his dreams, to move up in the broadcasting world of media. 

A loud sound emitted from the bursting through the door earlier than usual, causing an upright jolt from the unsuspecting younger who had been set on making a couple changes to assignment. The weather forecaster apologized hastily, still sporting a broad grin that did not subtract whatsoever from the way his eyes shone with outright happiness. He cut off the younger's curious inquiry as he slipped a piece of paper on top of Sehun's working progress, making the words die on his lips. Skimming through the seemingly dull print, Sehun found that it concealed the overwhelmingly outstanding news of the highly possible recruitment to a known channel. Following a business trip to the company's headquarter in China and other formalities that were less important as of now, the promotion seemed promising. The male did not tardy himself from getting to his feet and immediately surrounding the promoted man in an elated hug, earning a small giggle from him as he even added a momentary lift off the ground, followed by a happy kiss. 

"You didn't even read the whole thing, silly," Luhan playfully scolded as he slipped his arms round the other's neck, pulling him closer.

Sehun laughed, all the while wearing a grin, "What's there to know? My favorite weather reporter and meteorologist finally got his talent recognized. It's about time after all."

"Only because I'm Chinese and they were looking for people of their own nationality to broadcast," the elder replied in rebuttal, only to receive a disbelieving shake of Sehun's head and the words, "That is only a small of luck, you cannot deny that you yourself have talent they could not find anywhere else." 

Laughing appreciatively and hummed in agreement before breaking into laughter again, "True, but, Sehun," he replied, still wearing a smile as he looked up at the younger, "Even if I do get into it, how are we going to work Seoul into our schedule?" 

"Hm?" The latter asked, too caught up in the merry discovery to have fully contemplated that idea, knitting his eyebrows as his spirits seemed to drop a couple of degrees.

"Sehun.." Luhan replied with a hint of worry, the smile leaving his lips, wondering if the other was rethinking the decision. 

The said boy managed a smile nevertheless and reassured the worried male with a small kiss, replying softly, "We'll figure that out when we get there, let's not focus on that just yet." 

Both needing to believe in such, accepted the compromise for the time being, returning to the giddy happiness as Luhan was eager to share the tale of the coming of the promotion. 

 

Yet slowly, the news wrapped thick lead over the thread that bound Sehun's sanity and his perception of himself. It seemed he already expected it, however. Just wondered if he was finally ready to be set free. 

 

 

Through the activities following the preparation of the upcoming business trip, from the shopping to the packing and the sweet farewells they shared, both lovers seemed to forget the real impact of the duration of one another's soon-to-be absence, making it harder than ever as they stood in the airport, drinking in each other's appearance for the last time for the month. Their inability to do anything more intimate than share a tight hug lingered in the air as time seemed to rush by too fast for their liking, pushing Sehun to bravely take the elder's hands in his own and shared a look with him, conveying their feelings through what other's would take an unreadable expression. Yet Luhan understood, sending him one of his soft smiles as he gave their hands a firm squeeze, whispering in his mother language that he doubted any of the hurrying people around him let alone his waiting colleagues would comprehend, "Wo ai ni," to which Sehun gave a soft nod and an accompanied smile. And that was enough for the both of them.

 

 

Within the month of their parting, Luhan learned that the business trip was indeed not the leisure some tended to be, and he became busily employed with a daily list of tasks and attendance to conferences and filmings he was required to merely watch and learn from. With this burdensome load that he diligently worked through, which contained studies of media that focused basically on anchoring and presenting, he came to the discovery that; as his weather instruments simply remained untouched in his baggage; this promotion did not however consist of actually calculating the weather and making the predictions, only broadcasting and displaying them. It seemed like more of the profession of weather forecasting and less of meteorology. Which, he realized could become an issue as it was the primary part he favored, but decided he would not put the chance to waste over such a trivial matter as to childishly want what he enjoyed, continuing to put his upmost effort into his work, though admittedly, the instruments were not untouched for long as he himself calculated weather instances when he had the chance in the breaks in between, hence being able to correct the weather readings throughout presentations and mock filmings, in what he considered a helpful manner. It was bound to give him positive points towards his acceptance, or at least he hoped so.

When work permitted, phone calls back home would be made on almost nightly basis when there was time available, being the highlight of Luhan's day as he poured out his daily recall of events, from ones bearing relevance like the CEO's comments on his work to ones that did not, for example, the way one of his hopefully soon-to-be colleagues carried a resemblance to an old friend, yet all words yielded equal importance. Even though the elder male tended to do more of the talking, especially then, and the younger began to do more of the listening, both partners were more than comfortable with their roles. Through their conversations and admittedly, a bit of coaxing towards the younger, Luhan learned that simultaneously, the college student grew to be buried with an overwhelming amount of assignments.  Lengthy essays and demanding projects awaited him all set in a narrow span of a couple of weeks, all begging to be done along with the numerous dance practices he had to attend on the side. It dawned on the elder that it wasn't him alone with the burdens of work. Yet Sehun assured his lover that it was a part of something that Luhan had already went through successfully, and it was a matter that was miniscule compared to the latter's. Besides, he would say, subtly changing topics, did Luhan manage to squeeze in extra time visits to his parents' place?
After that, Luhan became convinced that the dryness of Sehun's tone at times was merely exhaustion and the work of challenges similar to his own. 

Besides, Oh Sehun doesn't like to talk much. And now couldn't, not when he might slip in that he couldn't recognize his reflection anymore.

 

Thirty days pass soon enough for Luhan, admittedly with enough hardships to take his mind off the distance him and his lover share for the majority of the time, and he boarded the flight back from his country of origin back to where his new life was beginning; perhaps even better off than when he left, he'd have to wait till the decision was made. Though honestly, if he was a mere degree less humble in nature, he'd have said he definitely secured the spot, and it was only more worth it when he imagined the pride of his boyfriend upon hearing his success.

Roughly three hours passed when the suit-clad male breached the final gate of the baggage and passport checks, brief case strap slung over his head  as he pulled his luggage behind him, fingers crossed by his side as he scanned through the first flock of people holding up signs, then after wedging through the dense crowd, eyed the less crowded space around him as his laced fingers squeezed tighter, hoping to catch sight of a certain lanky blond. To his dismay, however, he decided that Sehun really was serious about not being able to make it when he had said so over the phone the previous evening and it was just Luhan deluding himself that he'd show up anyway, he'd push what kept him occupied aside upon his arrival. Even though he knew had it been him in the younger's large shoes, he'd have stayed at work similarly. Yet in the elder's mind that did not bring sympathy but instead he selfishly gathered that weather was a fine and intricate business, that took time; dancing and simple college work was different. Simple, even.

Consequently, following the internal annoyance of the subject and the external hustle towards finding an available cab; the most frustrating thing to have to do when one owns a perfectly good car just waiting in the parking lot of their apartment. The last thing Luhan wanted to do was be attentive enough to anything else, leaving his mobile phone ringing in an on and on-off manner, ceasing for a moment or two before it began again deep in his brief case. An unnoticed alarm, signaling to the motionless bundles of paper and stationery for the next hour to come. 

And in the lack of response, Luhan found the last pinnacle of his struggling. The last and finally merciful tug of the metallic strings that extracted him from himself.

 

 

Weather doesn't always give you a sign before it causes the earth to crumble beneath you and all the buildings you built and everything you've ever created to come crashing down, annihilating every possibility of your survival. But perhaps it does and predictors of such just don't quite get close enough to see them, for why would someone suspect a stretch of land that lays undisturbed for millenniums to suddenly rake powerful earthquakes that leave scars on the surrounding earth? Such a calm, uneventful land does not get suspicion thrown its way. Which only leads to the shock of several lifetimes when it suddenly snaps. And everyone, let alone the ones that never doubted the land's unhinged composure, will remain rueful for what's left of them. For it is not the land to blame if it has struggled to foreshadow the fickle beings, but the fickle beings' themselves.

 

 

It was late when the initial shock of discovering his boyfriend's own 'snap' and interior, and quite frankly exterior, deterioration wore off from Luhan. He sat by the hospital bed cradling the younger's hand with both his smaller ones in final realization as shaky sobs left his lips. The process of his undoing had finally gone through all the emotions possible to man in three equally painful stages. 

First, the primary furiousness of Sehun's stupidity and angry shouts of the latter's selfish actions, uncharacteristically screaming and pulling at his own hair as Luhan tried to cover up his own shock and subtle guilt with accusations of the younger male. 

Next came the denial and refusal to come to terms with reality, repetitively asking questions and seeking answers that were nonexistent.

"D-Did you know what you were really doing, baby?"
Which would result in silence and an unwavering gaze from Sehun.

"I mean, the car was perfectly fine.. But the brake mechanism can be untrusty... Sehun, tell me that was why. Please?"
Clear eyes looked back at his, sparing his already collapsing lover's extra despair of both an honest answer and reassuring lies.

"W-Why..? I don't understand. You couldn't have... No.." 
No one could have the heart to say anything given the sight of the elder as he pressed his palms against his face and shook his head furiously, as if in doing so, all of the pain would fade, and hopefully, in the teen's mind, erase the source of it as well, himself.

Thirdly, the crazed mental state of unremitting claims of his own blame and fault, visibly shaking as he pulled at tufts of his hair and tears finally began to surface in his normally wide eyes that were scrunched up to the most they could go without entireley losing vision.

All of which reduced him to the unsteady mess of tears and whispered apologies Xiao Luhan became as he visibly shook, numbly feeling the aftermath of ridiculous outburst of feeble emotions.

And throughout the whole array, Sehun tried his best not to grimace at the constant aching of his body and the throbbing of his head. 
Throughout the whole process, Sehun wished idly that he really did succeed in his unconscious attempt of taking his own life.

Not that he'd ever admit it to his lover as his numb hands found the younger's waist when a halfhearted embrace was made between them and salty tears stained the hem of his thin hospital gown.

 

 

Days go by as they always do, as the world never stops for the misery of anyone's conflict no matter how impactful.  Just ask the species of dinosaurs as they grow extinct far before human existence, the world never halted for them. Or when the supposed Greek god lost his daughter to Hades, and all hell broke out, the world just kept going. The world is merciless in that way, perhaps. 

 

Doctors and professionals come and go with their news and own takes on the situation. Sehun remains wordless at the small pushes towards the explanation but manages to maintain conversations of no meaning whatsoever with his lover occasionally. Luhan only goes home twice in the week long stay and both not by his own will.  Nurses scan over the younger's body to inspect how the wounds are healing, and in time, he is finally free to go home. And throughout, the world acts as if its an ordinary week; perhaps that's what twists the usually orderly elder's stomach in such a fashion. 

 

Their comfortable apartment and source of peace gradually brought out the Sehun that the weather forecaster didn't know he lost till it was almost too late. He'd talk as if the foreboding absence of Luhan's Land Cruiser was not so, cracking a smile along the course of their conversations that only felt right away from the stark lights and interior of the hospital walls- in their cozy, warm and sunlit abode. Habits and routines came back into play, encouraged by their presence at home to attempt to return to such normalities. The dry tone that inhabited the college student's previous brief replies given over the phone were slowly replaced as well to one of more softness as well as intent and length.

He would still wish he had left the world where the strings taunted him, but this momentary resort where every gram of attention from his lover was focused on him, he could get drunk on that for a while. Sehun hated how Luhan turned his pain around, how he forced him to breathe and love him so, but he couldn't help forgiving him. It was the foul strings that lied to him about their final release of him, after all. Not Luhan, who hadn't noticed a thing.

He'd speak about anything at all and for once, the boundaries such as the taboo conversing of topics tied tightly to their age difference dissolved and left with the ruins of the long gone vehicle. Jokes would be made lightly. Luhan would notice his lover's love of speech as he himself toned down his own and finally gave him a chance and listened. His input, no doubt, was shared as much as the younger's, just with less words; for Sehun's became the subject to his cravings after the epiphany of his own selfishness. Every word uttered from the other's lips became another wave of realization of all the things Luhan had missed and others that he had  misinterpreted; those stormy clouds can move aside to make way for a new possibility and eventually, a reality.

Oh Sehun loved to talk. When he was intoxicated with Luhan's love, when the strings left the scene. 

 

Things however cannot remain as purely positive as people would like, no, it cannot. Those changes were the slight hint of sunshine behind the numerous morbid clouds that storm the lands. With bursts of hazard-filled bursts of thunder, it will rain consistently and dampen the area. The merciful addition of a slight advantage need to be balanced due to the overload of side of the opposite; to even it out in theory. 

For the college student would curl up into his own body as he tightly shielded his eyes from both being viewed and viewing. Entering an awkward cocoon in both his lanky limbs and his unfathomable thoughts at times, even when his neckbrace dug into his skin and his shoulder sprained once again. Zoning out from all his surroundings, he seemed to mentally leave the entire universe to enter his own.

The sight of the usually strong-statured male looking so frail tore at his lover's heartstrings. Upon the first couple times, Luhan watched with silent muffled tears by the doorway, giving him his distance while his eyes fixated on the younger's bent-over spine. Hopelessly yearning for him to sit up and exit the trance he remained in for varying levels of time. It scared Luhan to degrees unmentionable, like the intentional car accident taking a part of the younger emotionally if not physically. The terror reached a degree that he wanted to rouse the younger desperately at moments, yet it terrified him even more to think about the reply he'd get if the elder ever inquired about the newfound habit. 

 

Strength came, however, when Sehun was in a better mood and Luhan sat comfortably engulfed in one another's warm enveloping hug. Where he rested his head on the younger's shoulder- the other one, that hadn't been pushed back to a regular angle- and asked carefully, "What do you do when you're quiet like that?" 

Hesitation would follow but an answer came as the inquirer shifted to look into the younger's eyes encouragingly, causing the following to be spoken, "I think."

Then, Luhan would wait patiently for a while, making sure to see that he's done speaking as a sign that he was in fact listening before asking again, "About what?"

The answers stopped there unsurprisingly and Sehun would simply shift closer to the Chinese male, his arms tightening around him. Perhaps it was just something he'd never find out, and maybe that was okay, there was still time, as there always would be. A new sensation came over Luhan; patience.

The forecaster discovered that time was a key shaped to fit countless locks, and individuals carried the spaces in which time would fill and soon unlock. One could be undone by it within their lifetime depending on time itself, or not get unveiled at all. Luhan was alright with the slow progress if that meant soon getting to know the mystery that was his lover, he'd wait till the end of time with next to no difficulty. 

 

 

Over the time spent since both their returns, courses of speech eventually flowed towards the topic of Luhan's departure to Seoul, with Sehun's tone and facial expressions as well as body language visibly dropping. The topic he'd been afraid of thinking of, let alone mentioning, was all in all necessary.

"You'll be away for even longer than before," Sehun deduced with a noticeable sullen air, as well as furrowed brows that Luhan carefully skimmed with a thin strip of gauze. The doctor's words replayed in his head repeatedly on how lucky they were that the glass shards had so perfectly missed Sehun's eyes. Yet how exactly the younger's injuries could be classified as lucky, he could not bear think about as Sehun grimaced at each time the antiseptic made contact with the healing wounds.

A sigh left his lips and he gently lathered on more ointment on the series of shallow cuts extending from the younger's cheek, "Sehun--"

"Your car cannot transport you there yet.." he interrupted and the words died on the tip of the latter's lips as it was the first time Sehun mentioned the incident. A gnawing feeling on Luhan's head hinted that it was not out of coincidence. And the next words only fuelled the thought, "Getting rid of two of the things you seem to need won't help. Won't make you stay. There are other alternatives."

Further silence fell as the words seemed to sink into both male's heads. The moment those words of final concession left the younger's tongue and a ripple effect of the final aftermath of the earthquake stuck the two males. One of them having been unsuspecting, retreating the cotton swab from the wound against the wounded male's cheek, causing the said male to wince at the sudden movement. The procedures of cleansing the wounds was harshly jerked out of his mind however, coming to the bitter reality of the cause of them.

Sehun did not talk for a while after that, giving the elder a while to process the words as he replayed them in his head. Trying desperately to make sense of them in a way other than the initial understanding of the statement, Luhan struggled. Denial was strongly tugging him away from the meaning of those words that were spoken calmly yet supplied with unintentional daggers; having the reasoning behind the damage upon him brought a wave of sharp nausea.

Sehun smashed his jeep in the twisted desperation to rule the idea of moving to Seoul, almost taking his own life as well.

Or was it so he was stranded at the airport? And had no way to come home to see him?

Could it be both?

"Sehun--" The latter began before being cut off by a strange sounding choking sound, only to realize  it left his own lips. 

"Sehun," Luhan tried again after recomposing himself and loosening his hold on the younger male, face contorted in an expression of horror, "No." 

The said male's lips gave way to let out a reply, eyes still not giving away any emotion, only to get cut off. Luhan spoke with his eyebrows furrowed, volume raising with every word uttered,  "I refuse to let you think like that. No. It's prohibited. Do you hear me?"

Swallowing a lump, he continued, "Alternatives mean less than nothing to me, because in my eyes there are none. The car can be replaced, yes. Not.." He took a deep breath and tore his gaze away to the cushions placed about the rug, arms withdrawing towards his own body, "Not you," he finally managed to breathe out. 

"You're angry that you predicted this all wrong," Sehun stated all at once, as if reciting something he'd long ago created, looking directly into the latter's orbs and restated it clearly. "You misinterpreted me, that's why you are mad. Just like at work when you misinterpret the weather sometimes." 

"That's why you are paying all this attention to me nowadays. Listening and prodding me to speak when my silence was never an issue before," he continued, with the almost bitter lack of accusation. He knew the other would leave again, it was like Sehun was coming to a hangover from the beautiful intoxication.

Like driving into a sturdy wall head-first, an ironic choice of example,  Luhan was momentarily stunned at the impact of the words. Unable to choose how to react and what sensation to act upon from the pool of several ones boiling inside his core as the stiff wall of truth rendered him a fool when it described just why he was frustrated plainly and simply, making him sound like the selfish person he was.

Vaguely, oh so very vaguely, he wondered if this was similar to how the younger felt just several days ago when he performed the same actions except in reality. But immediately, the thought was shoved aside out of the nausea that came with it. Palpable stillness hung in the air and Luhan realized that the younger did not seem to want a reply anyway. Shrinking back, the male dropped his gaze out of pure frustrated embarrassment, feeling bare as the younger had seen straight through him; does Sehun really think of him that way even if it was true after all? It made him both angry and ashamed for unfathomable reasoning.

"I upset you," the addressed male spoke even though the tremble in his arms gave him away as he too retracted his arms from around the younger.

No response followed as Luhan seemed to be fighting the instinct to burst into another raging fit as he had with the previous news of the younger but a terse nod surfaced hereafter, and a small whisper with some difficulty to keep his volume down, "No." But before Sehun had a chance to let out a sigh, Luhan continued, voice moving above a whisper, "But not because of the reasons you think," he stated and finally met the younger's eyes, wanting to have full impact over his next words, "I'm not just upset because you are right about me, the selfish greed to be right and foolish mindset, and that I didn't prove to you that I do love you along with how much I love you. Well, I do love you and it's to the point that it drives me towards insanity, especially seeing as you think there are alternatives," he paused, heart racing behind the layers of  flesh and bone, causing him to shake just a bit, "Alternatives, as if you are just an item I can swap for at any time." His tone had risen again, so he had to take a moment to stabilize it again, "It doesn't make me just upset, it infuriates me, Sehun. I'm fighting to hold back from hollering again, I am."

"I'm not blaming you," Sehun began, and the other expected something along the lines of his anger, mouth open to throw a harsh statement back at the younger yet  caught off guard again at the relative calmness, "For what I did." And like a bucket of water tossed over the beginnings of a burning flame, he was extinguished and left yet again stunned. He had to get used to shock really, but it was going to take a while it seemed. Sehun did not drive head-on into a brick wall because of Luhan, as he seemed to be pointing to, it seemed he had other intentions, but that didn't fit in Luhan's mind.

"Why?" 

"To stop you leaving, and in the last few seconds, to help you relieve some obstacles."

Those obstacles apparently indicated himself. 

A tentative hand moved to wipe away some tears away from the weatherman's face that he hadn't even noticed had fell only to get brushed off as Luhan shook his head, losing all will to fight, "My love for you is not an obstacle. I'm sorry if I made you see that way and I'm sorry that you long for the success of your attempt that had left you still here, with me," the elder male stated, as if reading Sehun's previous thoughts, making him wonder if he knew all along.

"I regret every minute not spent with you when I could have, you'll have to trust me with that. But.. Promise me that you'll give me this chance to prove everything to you," the brunette ordered softly, keeping his eyes fixated on the younger's hazel-colored ones.

"I promise," Sehun stated with a nod, finding the other's hands to grip them and clasping them assuringly, "Sorry."

Shaking his head at the apology, "Apologies aren't necessary, okay?" 

"I love you."

"I love you, too. And Sehun?"

​"Hm?"

"I didn't get the job anyway." 

A tear-stained smile met Luhan's lips at the other's flabbergasted expression, explaining in simple terms as he handed him his phone with the text message from the said company, adding as the younger read through it, "They didn't like that I could think for myself."

Smiling just as his partner was for the first time in awhile with his chapped lips, Sehun replied almost assuringly, "Then they don't deserve you." 

A certain weight was heaved off the atmosphere and discarded off into oblivion.
They were both staying together; no one was leaving after all.
Even though it rendered the whole accident to no use, they wouldn't think of that for now.

 

Perhaps it could be said that the most of weather and its misinterpretations could create scars that will never be healed, but it can also discover weaknesses that would otherwise never be detected till they come caving in because when they do, they can be strengthened to therefore be able to withstand later disasters that are bound to return in different forms.

To a degree, damages like those can prove hopeful if looked upon a different light, past the scars and the wounds that are inevitable.Time and effort will conceal all wounds even if it won't cause them to fade, and thinking of that through the pain and suffering leads to the idea that perhaps it was worth it all rather than avoiding problems that would have caused worse happenings that would rather not be mentioned and that is all an idea agreed on by both men in the couple who can now see beyond the thin sheet of naiveness and into the bittersweet reality hand in hand.