The Rest

Before Time Runs Out
Please log in to read the full chapter

Changmin always hated hospitals. Staying in one for just a few seconds was enough time to drive him insane; he always pitied the people that worked here everyday.

Ironically, Changmin had been coming to the hospital everyday now, his routine being the same every time he walked into a certain ward.

He'd greet the patient first, getting no reply. He was always asleep when Changmin came anyway.

Changmin would move on to leaving something on the bedside table; a card, some flowers, a stuffed animal of some sort. Really anything to show the patient how much Changmin cared for him. Today, it was a strawberry scented candle, which Changmin would light up later. His friend always loved strawberries.

The final step was the most important to Changmin. He would easily climb onto the bed, as if the patient had left room for him before falling asleep. He wrapped his arms around him, feeling his eyes water seeing how much weight his friend had lost. 

"Yunho Hyung," Changmin painfully muttered. "I told you to start eating more. This isn't good for you." Changmin knew that he was being ridiculous. He knew that Yunho wanted to eat, he just couldn't. But there was always something in the back of Changmin's mind that kept telling him that Yunho kept rejecting food just to piss him off. Changmin always got mad when Yunho purposely ignored him. "I'll pick up some ramen for you later," he finally said, pulling Yunho closer to him. Changmin buried his face into Yunho's hair, not even bothered that Yunho hadn't washed his hair in weeks.

Changmin did nothing more. He just laid there, closely listening to the slow beating of the heart monitor. 

"Changmin-ah," Yunho muttered beneath his oxygen mask as he began to wake up, his chest heaving deeply as he struggled to breathe. His voice so weak, the younger one cringed every time he heard it now. "You're...here?"

Changmin smiled. "I'm always here, Hyung," he replied. 

Yunho closed his eyes again as he continued to breathe deeply. Changmin's face dropped at the older man's action. He was getting more tired everyday, even the simplest things wore him out.

"I brought you a candle today," Changmin proudly announced, it was mostly his way of cheering himself up.

"Min," Yunho replied. "I told you...stop...buying me gifts." He was begging now. "You know...that I'm-"

"Stop it, Hyung," Changmin commanded. "You're going to get a heart donor for you. You'll be better soon enough, you'll see. Everything will be okay."

Yunho nodded. "I know," he replied. 

"Then why do you always think you're going to die?" Changmin asked in frustration.

Yunho shook his head. "No..." he replied. "I know...everything will...be okay."

Tears fell from Changmin's eyes as he realized what Yunho meant. He really didn't want to accept the truth. He couldn't accept the truth. The doctors had already said that Yunho should already be dead at this point. No one was sure how he was able to last this long, but Changmin never questioned it. He believed that Yunho wasn't ready to die yet. He wouldn't be ready for a very long time.

"Please don't go," Changmin begged softly as more tears started streaming down his face.

"Changmin," Yunho replied. "I'm sorry."

Changmin shook his head. "Don't apologize," he said. "Just stay with me, okay? You promised."

Yunho nodded. "I did," remembering the vow he made to Changmin when he was only eleven years old when the two of them were mistreated in an orphanage. He understood why Changmin was acting this way. They were all each other ever had.

"And you've never broken a promise to me before," Changmin reminded him.

"No...matter what...I'll still...be there for you," Yunho replied, his eyes drooping closed. Changmin bit his lip at those words. It wouldn't be the same, not if he wasn't physically there by Changmin's side.

Yunho inhaled deeply. "Min...I'm tired."

"I know," Changmin said, already expecting that announcement. He started running his fingers through Yunho's hair. "Go to sleep. I'll stay with you."

Yunho nodded at Changmin's words before falling asleep.

"Who did this to you?" Yunho asked angrily as he studied Changmin's bruised face.

The nine year old pouted, thinking it was best to stay silent.

"Answer me, Min," Yunho demanded. He was sick and tired of seeing Changmin coming home beat up. It was always the same reason. People just couldn't seem to let go of the fact that Changmin didn't have parents. Just because they live in a shabby orphanage doesn't mean that they're not human.

Changmin bit his lip.

"Minnie," Yunho said, his voice much gentler now. "You've gotta stop hiding this from me. I need to know who's doing this to. It makes me sad."

"I'm sorry," Changmin immediately replied.

Yunho shook his head. "I'm not looking for an apology," he said. "I'm looking for a way to fix this."

"Don't waste your time," Changmin said. "You've joined a lot of clubs this year. You need to focus more on them."

"You're dumber than I thought if you think looking out for you is a waste of time," Yunho said, folding his arms over his chest. He started shaking his head. "Nothing is a waste of my time as long as you're involved." Yunho smiled. "Remember that."

When Doctor Park came in to check on Yunho, the doctor was surprised to see the patient awake. This time, it was Changmin who was fast asleep. That was never the case before. 

"He's back I see," The doctor said with a dimpled smile.

Yunho glanced at Changmin. "He's finally asleep," he said happily. Changmin must have fallen asleep some time after Yunho did. Once Yunho woke up, Changmin was sleeping deeply. Yunho was happy about that. He knew that Changmin hadn't been able to sleep for a long while now. It worried Yunho everyday. 

As if he could read Yunho's mind, the doctor started speaking again. "I'm guessing he hasn't slept in a while," he stated.

Yunho nodded. 

 "Well then it's best I don't wake him up," Doctor Park replied. His demeanor turned serious. "I came in to check on you. How are you feeling today?"

Yunho glanced over at Changmin again, making sure he was still asleep before he answered. He really didn't want Changmin to hear him admit his problems. "Harder...to breathe," he finally answered truthfully. 

Doctor Park nodded sadly. "I'll increase your oxygen," he announced, moving to the machines and beginning to work.

"J-Jungsu," Yunho said, feeling his eyes watering up. "How much time?"

The doctor sighed. "Your predicted date was last week," he said. "At this point, I honestly don't know."

Yunho nodded. 

"But you're still on the list for a heart donor," Jungsu continued. "We're keeping you on until..."

"Thanks," Yunho said after the doctor trailed off. He sighed. "I'm worried...about Min." Ever since Yunho had been rushed to the hospital that horrible day several weeks ago, all Yunho could think about was Changmin. He knew Changmin would take it really hard when he died. 

"I know," Doctor Park replied. "Maybe he's the reason you've been able to last this long."

 Yunho smiled proudly. "I've always...needed him." That wasn't a lie at all. Changmin was someone he viewed as his brother.

"And he'll always need you," Jungsu said. "I will do everything in my power to make sure that you stay." The man found himself checking the donor list almost every hour now. He was serious about saving Yunho. 

It was always dangerous to form a close bond with your patients; Jungsu strongly believed that. But he made an exception when h

Please log in to read the full chapter