The Beginning of the Journey

Just So You Know

Seunghyun looked over his shoulder from the last time before boarding his flight. He sighed at the absence of the one person he had wanted to come and see him off. But despite his disappointment, he didn’t blame her for not coming. Their last meeting had been awkward to put it lightly.

*A few days ago*

”I like you. I’ve liked you since before I knew you were dating Jonghun. I tried to ignore my feelings. I hoped that they would eventually go away but I couldn’t. So I’m now just kind of awkwardly telling you this. I didn’t think I would ever tell you this but I’m leaving for Japan soon, I thought I would tell you so that you might as well know what of could have been. Maybe when I come back we laugh at this moment,” Seunghyun said before muttering a, “I hope,” under his breath.

Seunghyun shook his head at the memory. He hadn’t originally meant to tell her but the urge couldn’t be contained. Something in him had said he would regret it more if he didn’t tell her. In a way he was glad that he had so he would drown in what ifs. A clean break was what he needed, or so he continued telling himself.

-A few days earlier-

Kim Yunmi usually knew what to do. It was rare for her not to. But this wasn’t a situation she could have predicted to happen.

She never expected to hear that one of her friends would be leaving for an indefinite amount of time. She never thought that same friend would have feelings for her. But here she was, staring at that friend’s back as he walked away from her.

He was going to leave Korea in a few days. There was nothing she could do to stop him and it seemed like he might be cutting her out of his life during that time. Was this supposed to make her happy? The way he said it made it seem like this was the best way.

His voice rang in her head saying, “Answers to some of your questions will be in here.” Here as in his journal, a journal that was always with him. It was something she knew was extremely personal and that he held close to his heart, yet he told her to take. He insisted that she keep it and not fear its contents. “I wouldn’t be giving this to you if I didn’t want you to read it.” But why couldn’t he just tell her? The open Seunghyun, who was one of her best friends wasn’t one to keep things to himself.

The walk home was full of similar jumbled thoughts, all of them surrounding Seunghyun. What was she supposed to do?