one

what could have been...

-

The whole thing started when I was in college. I’ve grown a liking for coffee since high school, so it became a habit of mine to find a nice coffee shop near school. There was this one café off campus. I stopped by every day before and after classes. After a month or so, the waiters and waitresses had become accustom to my habit.

It was a Friday afternoon, I had just gotten out of my last class and I wanted to finish some of my assignments. I walked over to the café, and like usual, I walked up to the counter and placed my order for a caramel latte and a slice of cheesecake. After placing my order, I looked around for a vacant seat. I spotted my usual spot by the window. I headed towards it and started unpacking my laptop and books to study. I had already had my headphones plugged into the computer when a waiter came over with my order.

“Here you go,” he said as he placed the plates down onto the table. It took to me moment before I pulled my headphones out, looked up at him, and said thank you. I recognized him as the waiter who normally serves me in the afternoon. It wasn’t until today I started to notice things. He had dark brown hair and eyes. His voice was soothing, deep but not too deep and he has a Busan accent. Before I could put my headphones back on he spoke to me again.

“I’ve seen you coming by almost every day. I’m Daehyun.” I was taken back a little by this, but I managed to reply. “Yeah, I just like coming here to study. I’m…” “Sueun, right?” he interrupted me. I blushed a little wonder how he had known my name. “Sorry, that was rude of me. I just noticed you when you place your orders,” he told me smiling at me. “I should get back to work. It was nice to finally meet you, Sueun.” I watched as he walked about surprised, yet flattered. I put my headphones back on, smiling to myself, blushing. It was a beautiful Friday.

-

It went on for about a semester. Whenever I stopped by the café, Daehyun would have small conversations with me. Sometimes he would sit at my table after his work hours and accompanying me. We got to know each other a bit. He was a few months older than me. It turned out that we went to the same school, and he was an economic major and music minor at my school.  We both had an interest in R&B music, drawing, and a love for cheesecake. By the end of that semester we had became friends.