Weird Old Lady.

A Not So Fairytale Ending

And after frying the bacon in a total of five minutes, I would leave it out on the sun to dry out. Yes, I am that brutal to Byun. I sighed and turned around, signaling that I'm done talking with the two of them. Call me rude, but I wasn't in the mood of joking around with an ahjumma and a bacon. I listened halfheartedly to their talk, slowly walking over to the trinkets the shop owner sold.

A giddy smile appeared as I saw a Mockingkay necklace, a Deathly Hallows necklace and a trident necklace. I'm a fan of the those three series, so I was overwhelmed when I saw them. I have never seen a bookstore sell trinkets like these. As I inspected the price of the necklace (which were too cheap for it's worth) I realized that they were rusty. Not that rusty, but rusty as in it hasn't been used in weeks.

I furrowed my eyebrows together and let my hand graze over the trident necklace. It was the rustiest of the three, and the color silver started to fade, brown mostly covering the trinket. In curiosity, I leaned forward and took a whiff of the necklace.

Salt water. Sea. It smelled like it took a dunk in the sea and the ahjumma just slipped a rope through the hole in the trident and started selling it.

What a weird way to get a trinket.

I cocked my head to one side, their voices fading as I went to the antique looking books across the counter. I was baffled to pick up a book that smelled like it was half burnt. It had runes all over it, the ones you see in the Mortal Instruments. I flipped through the pages and was even more surprised that it was in Latin. On the faded yellow pages were Latin words and sayings, and just more runes.

"Okay, this is getting weird," I muttered to myself, absolutely at lost of what this ahjumma sells. I put the book back to its original place and trudged over Baekhyun and the ahjumma who were laughing because of Baekhyun's joke (which I know is corny).

"...of books are incredible! It feels like you're in a different world, a different time when you read books. Their adventures, the stories they share becomes a part of you, and when you put the book down, it's like you've stepped back into reality. Have you found a book you like sweetie?" The old lady smiled at me as I tried to return the smile, Baekhyun covering his mouth to keep from laughing at my awkward expression.

I shook my head and glanced at the trinkets that interested me awhile ago.

"By any chance, did you make those trinkets?" I asked as politely as I can, hoping that I wouldn't give away my true intention, which was finding out if she got it really from the ocean. The old lady smiled dreamily, glancing at her trinkets that clanked together because of the wind of the air conditioner.

"Ah, those? My, those were hard to get! I had to bargain with Poseidon to give me a piece of his charm bracelet. He told me to sell it for a billion won, but I said 'who would buy a dirty and rusty trinket?' so I put it to ten thousand won," the old lady told me as I nodded in understanding. At least, pretended.

Who the heck was Poseidon? Her henchman who gives trinkets to her? Some kind of code name?

The old lady turned her expression to me, and it was really kind, so there was no reason to suspect. The old lady suddenly spread her arms out wide, almost hitting Baekhyun who ducked at the correct time, his eyes wide.

"Geez old woman-"

"Pick any book you like! One for each of you. Take it as a gift. I'll be in the back if you need me." The old lady smiled once more before humming a song, shuffling to the storage room. I sighed in relief once she was gone. She was kind.

Kind but freaky.

"Okay, that's the weirdest old lady. I mean, who gives books for free?" Baekhyun shivered, dusting his shoulders of imaginary dust. I nodded in silent agreement, going over to him and grabbing his wrist. I initially wanted to aim for the hand, but awhile ago, on the bike...

Nah, not thinking about that.

Baekhyun jolted up, looking at me immediately, his lips pursed into a line as he faced me. Did I tell you he was the most caring person ever?

"Hey, what's wrong?" Baekhyun asked in a hushed tone. I blinked out of my dazed state, fully looking at my best friend. I didn't know why I grabbed his wrist all of the sudden. I just...I felt like it. I slowly let go of his milky white wrist, letting my own small hand fall to my side as I shake my head.

"Nothing's wrong. Hey, that old lady told us to pick a book. Let's go." I lead the way to the bookshelves that were near the counter. Baekhyun went to the comics corner as I browsed the Young Adult section. My fingers skidded through the fabric of the spines, feeling the rough and smooth texture of the hardbound books.

My hand stopped at one book, smiling as I pulled the book out. It was a hardbound book of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I flipped through the pages, loving the smell of new books that wafted the air. I walked aimlessly around, halfheartedly trying to find Baekhyun as I finally bumped into him.

"Oh there you are, Soojung! I found this really awesome comic! It's called 'Attack on the Titan' and it's an anime-"

"That's great Baek, but I have to get home. My parents would be arriving at this time already," I cut him off, slighting pouting as an apologetic gesture. Baekhyun stopped spazzing and smiled at me, ruffling my hair up a little, an action that told me things were okay between us.

"Alright. Let's go home now." I smiled and nodded, grabbing his hand this time and leading him out of Magic Bookshop and entering the cold streets of Seoul. We hurriedly put on our helmets and hopped on Baekhyun's Dora scooter, him starting it up pretty quickly. We drove through the streets of Seoul once again, the cold wind never subsiding. I clutched the book tightly against my chest, my other arm wrapped around Baekhyun's waist. I saw him glance back at me, and by the looks of his crescent-shaped eyes, he was smiling.

"Hey, hug me tighter. I don't want you falling off this Dora scooter."

I snorted and did his request, snuggling my head against his back.

"Then what? Boots will save me?"

"Very funny, Googi." 


Sorry for the late update, school ;;