Ugly Envelope

Sisters In Training

"Go check in on the patient in room fifteen. The other interns are there."

Eunji Jung grabbed her clipboard from the front desk and and hurried to room fifteen. There were nurses and doctors all over the place, checking up on their patients for their scheduled medicines and their improving conditions.

"Sorry I'm late." Eunji said as she walked inside the room shamefully. The other six interns and the lead doctor was waiting for her, giving her discerned looks.

"You are far from starting your career as a nurse, Eunji. Time management is one of the most important qualities that a nurse should have, and you have already shown me in the past week that you lack that quality." Doctor Young, the doctor assigned to teach Eunji and the other interns, said in a gentle but authoritative tone.

"I'm so, very sorry. Consider this to be the last tardy. I will never, ever be late, ever again. I promise." Eunji put her hand to her heart to show her genuinity. Doctor Young sighed and nodded, signaling the beginning of their lesson.

But before she can start, a receptionist nurse peeked inside the room and interrupted her.

"Doctor Young, I'm sorry to barge in, but I need to borrow one of your interns for today. It's important." said the receptionist.

Doctor Young sighed once again with a facial expression of distress.

"Yes, who is it?" She asked the receptionist.

"Her name is..." She looked down at her clipboard. "Eunji...Jung."

Eunji's face grew red in shame again. She already felt guilty for being late to the lesson, and now she had to miss the whole thing! Doctor Young, on the other hand, smiled expectantly and waved her away.

"Do not apologize again. It's okay. Go attend to your mysterious event." She rolled her eyes.

"Thank you..." Eunji said hesitantly. "And I'm sorry." Before Doctor Young could say something about her apologizing, Eunji ran out of the room.

"What is the important thing you have for me today?" Eunji asked the receptionist.

"Someone you know dropped by and gave me this envelope to pass onto you." She handed Eunji an orange envelope.

Eunji gave the envelope a look of distaste.

"Who would choose such an ugly color? Maybe it's a death note from someone who hates me. But who would hate me? I'm nice to everyone!" She began talking to herself, like she frequently does whenever she is deep in thought.

"Uh..." The receptionist interrupted. "The person who gave it to me was a tall man, had gray hair, his skin a little tan. Does that narrow it down?"

Eunji's face dissolved into a 'of-course!' expression.

"My father is color blind." She said matter-of-factly. "He probably chose this envelope accidentally, unable to see the extreme ugliness of the color."

"Okay..." The other woman said, unsure how to react. "Well, I'm going to leave you with the envelope. Your father told me to give you the whole day off, so...enjoy your free day, I guess."

The receptionist went back to behind the front desk and Eunji was left alone with the ugly envelope. She put down her clipboard on the top of the file cabinet and stared at the envelope. She hesitated to open it.

"What could my father possibly have to tell me? How important is it that he would write it in a letter instead of telling me face to face?" She pondered. "Maybe he's gone bankrupt and needs money from me." She shook her head vigorously. "That can't be right. He's rich! He always has been, and his business is still going fairly well. There's just no way he is bankrupt."

She shook her head again, slightly this time, and resorted to just opening it. She took a deep breath, and tore the envelope open.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"What!?"

Minah Bang's members gathered around her and looked over her shoulders.

"Wow, that's the ugliest green envelope I've ever seen." Hyeri snickered.

"Shut up, Hyeri." Sojin smiled and rolled her eyes. "Minah, what does the letter say?"

Minah didn't respond. Instead, she fell into a silent stupor.

"Helloooo? Minah, what does it say?" Yura asked.

"My..." Minah finally said. "My dad just wrote to me...that he divorced my mom over a month ago. And he has full custody of me."

The Girl's Day members fell into an awkward silence. None of them knew what to say, since this divorce seemed inevitable and obvious, according to Minah's perpetual complaints about her parents' arguments at home. They weren't sure if Minah was just plainly shocked, or had sadness mixed in her emotions.

"I can't believe they waited a month before telling me about this. He's saying that they didn't want to bother me since I'm getting busy with schedules nowadays..." Minah's face grows hard. "But that's just an excuse. There is no reason for them to delay this important piece of information to me! My parents are divorced!"

"So..." Yura cautiously started. "Are you sad? I mean, didn't we sort of expect this?"

Hyeri slapped Yura's thigh. "Yura, don't say that!" 

"No, guys, it's...it's okay." Minah took a deep breath and exhaled loudly. "Ever since I moved to the city and got busy with preparing for our debut, I haven't even talked to him or got in touch with him. This news doesn't affect me as much as I thought it would."

"Wait, Minah, there's a back to it." Sojin noticed.

Minah turned the letter over.

"WHAT???" Minah shrieked when she read the back. "This can't be happening."

"What is it? What does it say?" Yura asked.

"It says...it says..."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Eunji read the back of the letter over and over again.

"Oh you've got to be kidding me...I have a HALF-SISTER!?"