one

The Spark Within

 

Somewhere in Japan...

"Mom, I'm off to school !!" A girl said, running down the stairs to give her mother a goodbye kiss before going to school.

"Don't forget your lunch, Yumi." The mother said to her daughter, named Yumi.

"Yes, mom." Yumi responded as she finally walks towards the door. And finally outside.

She took in some fresh air for a moment before walking down her usual route to school.

While walking, "Yumi !!" someone called out for her.

She turned to see a guy running towards her.

"Good morning, Shori." Yumi said to the guy named Shori, as he finally reached her spot.

"I told you to wait for me at your house." Shori said, making a pout with his lips.

"It's not my fault my best friend is late." Yumi said back and stuck her tongue out to the guy she called her best friend.

"Well, sorry. Anyways, are you sure you're going to confess your feelings today?" Shori asked, to changed the topic.

He noticed his best friend was blooming. Her hair tied up, she's wearing makeup, these things are Yumi's routine whenever she's in love with somebody.

"Yeah. I'm 100% sure." Yumi reassured her best friend as she nods.

"Ok, well good luck. You don't want the spark to go away again, right?" Shori said, not looking at his friend.

"You'll see." Yumi said, with confidence.

After minutes of walking, they finally reached their school, Osaka High.

 


 

At the back of the school.

"Um.. I like you." Yumi said to the guy, with his back on her.

The guy turn around to see her face.

Yumi wasn't ugly, she's actually much prettier than most of the girls in her school.

The guy suddenly smiled and said, "Okay."

Then it happened, Yumi's eyes widen, the spark was gone, she thought he was the one, but he wasn't.

"Uh.. You know, nevermind. I was just bluffing. Bye." Yumi said and immediately ran to hide somewhere.

She panted hard, before letting out a heavy sigh. "He wasn't the one." with that said, she frowned and closed her eyes.

"Hey." someone suddenly appeared upon her. She opened her eyes, to see Shori's face, inches away from hers.

She gasped and instantly pulled back her face from his. "What wrong?" Shori asked looking at his friend.

Instead of answering her friend Yumi asked, "How did you find me?"

Shori seemed agitated by the question and looked away. "Well... I-" he started.

"-was watching you from afar. But I wasn't eavesdropping on your confession, I promise !!" he continued and raised his right hand.

Shori looked at his best friend to see her reaction.

But Yumi seemed unaffected. Normally, Yumi will be yelling at her friend right now, or be embarassed.

"Earth to Yumi?" Shori waved a hand in front of Yumi. Yumi got back to her senses. "Huh?" she said, completely clueless of their conversation.

Suddenly the bell rang. They both looked up at the same time.

"I guess we should go back to class now. Let's go." Shori said and held Yumi's hand while they ran through the hallway.

"Why? How? This can't be. But..." these questions ran around Yumi's mind, as she looks at her best friend.

 


 

The next day.

"Am I really falling for- No, Yumi you can't. I mean you can, but... But he's your best friend." Yumi thought, trying to pursuade her own self to not fall for Shori. But apparently, she already did.

"But what if I did confess my love for him? Will the spark remain? Or would it be like the others? Gone, no more? Can I really risk our friendship for something I'm not even sure about?" she kept on filling her minds with questions, nor she can answer.

"Argh... !!" she put both of her hands on her head out of frustration.

Then she saw the last person she wanted to see, Shori. He approached her desk.

"You're in love, aren't you, Yumi?" he asked her. Yumi's eyes widen.

"Wha- What are you talking about?" Yumi asked, as she avoided having eye contact with Shori and fidgeted with her fingers under her desk.

"Oh come on, you can't fool me. Your hair is tied up and you're wearing makeup. Now tell me, who's the guy?" Shori asked as he raised one of his eyebrows.

"It- it's none of your business." Yumi blushed and immediately left the scene, leaving a dumbfounded Shori on his own.

 


 

Class dismissed for the day. And the two best friends walked to the bus stop. And waited.

"Hey, what happened to you? Why does it seem like you're ignoring me?" Shori asked.

Yumi didn't feel like talking with, or looking at, Shori at that time, so she plugged her earphones to her ears and pretended she was listening to a song. The truth was, her phone was new, she hasn't downloaded any song at all.

"Yumi. Can you hear me? Yumi?" Shori called out to his friend. Yumi ignored him.

"Hmm.. Hey fatso !!" Shori called out again. "Wha- This guy !!!" Yumi wanted to yell at her friend, but she kept her cool and pretended she was changing the song on her phone.

"You really can't hear me, huh?" Shori sighed and look at his friend once more.

"I like you, Yumi. Ever since we've gone to high school." Shori confessed.

He thought Yumi didn't hear him, but Yumi heard his confession, loud and clear.

Yumi's face was red, but she hid it well.

The bus finally came and both of them went home.

 


 

At Yumi's home.

Yumi's mind was stuck in what her best friend, Shori, who is also the one she is currently interested to, said earlier at the bus stop. He likes her.

Yumi felt nervous, but she knew what she's going to do, or rather say, to Shori tomorrow.

 


 

The next day.

Yumi asked Shori to meet her in the back of the school.

Shori immediately did what he is told to do so, as soon as the lunch bell rang.

"Phew. I thought you were mad at me. You really ignored me, yesterday." Shori sighed in relief, as he saw his best friend standing in front of him.

"I just got a lot of things in my mind. Sorry." Yumi said and looked down.

"It's okay now. No worries. So why did you call me for?" Shori asked.

Yumi stood up straight, faced her best friend, and cleared . "I... I like-" she muttered.

"I like you, Shori !!" she shouted. Yumi shut her eyes as soon as the words were out of . She was afraid that when she finally opens her eyes, the spark would be gone.

 


 

One month later...

Yumi giggled as she saw her boyfriend in front of her house, waiting for her, so they can walk together to school.

"Yumi !!" her boyfriend smiled, the moment he saw her out of the house.

They intertwined their fingers together and walked to school.

"I remembered back then,when my best friend said he'll pick me up at my house,but he always comes late." Yumi said to her boyfriend.

"Hey,that was back then. I have been showing up earlier now." Shori pouted at his girlfriend, Yumi.

"I know." Yumi giggled and leaned on his shoulder.

Back then, Yumi thought it was risky to confess her feelings to Shori, but now, it was all worth the risk. The spark didn't go away, it was still there. Within them.

 

END


 written by kloyola