Everybody's Got Somebody But Me

Everybody's Got Somebody But Me

 

 

RING~!!!

 

The alarm sounded harshly, bouncing off the walls of a huge bedroom – a room which was once spick-and-span and now a chaotic mess as if a tornado happened within its confines.

In normal occasions, the alarm—so loud it could wake up anyone within a 10-meter radius—never bothered the brunette sleeping so soundly on the bed. The master of the room loves sleep more than any activity, and not even a group of zoo animals could wake her.

But this one morning was unexpectedly different.

From under the covers, Jessica Jung’s dainty hand reached out, grabbing the blasted clock and ending the irritating ringing with one way she knew how—smashing it to pieces by throwing it to the wall across the room.

“Stupid clock,” she grumbled as she grudgingly sat up on the bed, glaring at the broken pieces of the poor inanimate object. “I don’t even in’ know why I keep buying one of you… tsk.”

With one last grumble of displeasure, the girl proceeded to do her morning routine before school.

Yup, the day was far from normal.

Why?

It was Valentine’s Day – a day that Jessica was excited about… until a few days ago.

Now, she despised it… a lot.

 

~+~

 

Jessica made her way to the kitchen, dressed in black leather jacket and boots.

The first thing that greeted her was giggles—disgustingly happy giggles sugarcoated with affection.

It made Jessica cringe. She cracked her knuckles as she proceeded inside the kitchen, finding Krystal and Sulli making a fuss over a box of heart-shaped cookies, by the looks of it.

 

You are sweeter!”

“Well, you’re cheesy!”

“Only for you, Sulli-ah… I love you~”

“Shucks! You’re making me cry, Jung Soojung. I love you, too!”

 

 

AHEM.

 

The young couple looked at Jessica, who had her famous stoic expression plastered on her face.

“Oh, hello, Jessica unnie,” Sulli politely greeted, her smile reaching her ears. “Nice…um, jacket. Black suits you.”

The older girl stayed mum.

“Ah. Look, unnie,” Krystal proudly showed the heart-shaped box, even opening the lid to show off the freshly-baked treats. “Sulli baked me these. Isn’t she swe—YAH! Unnie, that’s mine!

Jessica ignored her sister and walked off without a word.

 

THUD!’ goes the front door.

 

Krystal looked like she was about to cry, her eyes glued to the place where Jessica stood.

“That was mine,” she whimpered. Her lips quivered. “Mine.”

Sulli hugged the younger girl. “Aww, I’ll make you more… I promise.”

 

~+~

 

Jessica drove lazily to school, not really minding if she was gonna be late at the speed she was going. Heck, she didn’t even wanna go. Her pride just got the best of her. She wasn’t gonna make everyone speculate her absence and think that she’s sulking at home like a sore loser.

 

Oh, if only—ahh, what am I thinking?

 

 She tried to distract herself…

And if on cue, she saw something about 10 meters away: targets.

The tall-and-short combo was unmistakable.

It was Sooyoung and Hyoyeon holding hands and walking to school like they’re having a date at the park.

Jesse smiled mischievously as she gripped the steering wheel tight and stepped on the gas.

She swerved right next to the couple, letting them eat her dust as she zoomed past.

She looked at rear view mirror—Sooyoung had a fist in the air, gesturing angrily and most probably calling her out with very verbose and colorful nicknames, while Hyoyeon was coughing out the dust and smoke—and she snickered.

 

~+~

 

Arriving at school, Jessica’s vision darkened as she noticed all the red and pink decorations everywhere.

Couples littered about, handing out gifts and flowers to each other and shamelessly showing their sickening displays of affection.

Jessica wasn’t scared of showing how she felt, too. She glared at everyone.

The temperature dropped a few degrees at her aura, and it sent chills down everyone’s spines. They all stood there, staring at her with flabbergasted expressions.

They better get the message I’m sending, Jessica thought to herself.

And to further get the ‘message’ through to everyone’s brains, she took out a pen from her bag and with one swift move—

 

POP!

POP!

POP!

 

There goes the life of three poor heart-shaped balloons.

Having nothing to give to the girl of his interest, the unfortunate guy started tearing up like a girl.

With a passive look, Jessica strutted to her first class as if nothing happened. She didn’t bother getting her books from her locker and she even kicked the pile of gifts (from her adoring and persistent fans) outside her locker door, on the way.

Everyone was either left speechless, or crying their eyes out (namely her fans).

Oh yeah, she was on a roll… like the Grinch on Christmas morning.

 

 

“Aren’t you a little ray of sunshine on this lovely day?” Yuri mocked with a smug smirk.

Yoona giggled. “We saw what happened. Poor dude. He didn’t even do anything to you.”

“Yes, he did… along with everyone else.”

“And what did they do? Aside from expressing their love…?”

Jessica looked away and crossed her arms. “They’re annoying me.”

Yuri rolled her eyes. “Whatever. You know if you just swallowed your pride and apologized, Tiffany would’ve never dumped you and you would never be in this position.”

“What position? With you two idiots?”

“Yah!” Yoona pouted.

Yuri shook her head, amazed at Jessica’s thick and hard skull. “Heol. You’re stubborn, Jung.”

“So I’m told…”

Yuri was about to break a fuse of her temper, but Yoona calmed her down.

“Just leave her alone, Yul,” the younger girl said. “Just because she’s annoyed doesn’t mean you have to be, too. It’s Valentine’s Day, the most romantic day of the year, February 14, the da—”

“—the day that Valentine died,” Jessica cleverly quipped, her voice dripping with sarcasm at her next remark. “Yup. Romantic, indeed.”

Yuri and Yoona’s jaws dropped.

 

Un-ing-believable.

 

Yes, Jessica wears it well.

 

~+~

 

Classes were boring with a capital ‘b’ and an exclamation point, seriously.

Jessica was glad it was over. She wanted to go home because 1) she was tired of everyone else being lovey-dovey, 2) she wanted to brood in her solitude, and 3) she was hungry—she didn’t get to eat because her stomach couldn’t take the sight of all the couples and even her baby Seohyun (the girl she thought will be forever single) was being all sweet with some guy.

Unfortunately for her, no one was at home—her parents on a date, her sister on a date, the maids and butler on day off and undoubtedly on a ing date, too.

And so, Jessica sits in a café, on a table for two—with love songs playing on loop and couples slow-dancing on the mini dance floor.

 

Oh well, it couldn’t get any worse, right?

 

“Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Taengoo!!!!! I love you!!”

“I love you more, bunny…”

 

The brunette cursed her luck.

Was it a coincidence that her most byuntae friends who happened to be couple were sitting right in front of her booth?

“Ugh,” Jessica cringed for the nth time that day as she saw Taeyeon and Sunny blatantly each other’s faces.

What a ed-up world, she thought as she looked away and stared at the rings on her finger instead. I was the happiest once… Now, everybody seems to be happy with somebody… everyone but me.

 

I miss you, Tiff.

 

 

“Uh, excuse me… Miss Jessica?”

Jessica snapped out from her thoughts and turned to the waiter in question. “Yes?”

The guy scratched the back of his head, fidgeting under the gaze of the one and only Jung.

“Tick tock, dude,” the brunette tilted her head. “I don’t have all day.”

“Y-Yes, of course. All the staff just wanted to know if…”

“What?”

“You sing here before, on weekends, right?”

“Your point is?”

“Well, since you’re not busy… we were wondering if you’d like to sing a few songs… you know, just to—”

Jessica crossed her arms and looked at her nails coolly. “What do I get out of it? And why do you assume I’m not busy?”

The waiter was stumped. “Oh, um, then never mind, miss… we just—” he stuttered, but stopped as he heard a melodious chuckle from the girl.

“I’m just playing with you. Relax. Sure, I’ll sing,” Jessica stood up.

“Really? Wow! Thank you, miss! I’m sure everyone would love it.”

Jessica imperturbably walked up to the stage.

 

Might as well...

 

~+~

 

Everyone in the café—including Taeyeon and the others—watched as the stage was set up. A minute later, Jessica was sitting on a stool, holding a guitar and ready to play.

Taeyeon and the gang braced themselves for a crappy song about hating everyone else.

“Hello,” Jessica said shortly. She tapped the guitar 1-2-3 and seconds later, a semi-lively beat filled the whole café.

Everyone started bopping their heads as Jessica continued strumming lovely chords.

“This is for you…” she declared and the crowd erupted in cheers.

“I think you better call Fany, Taeng,” Yuri whispered from the other table.

Taeyeon nodded and video-called Tiffany.

 

 

Jessica was oblivious about everyone else. She just started singing out her thoughts, “~I wish the people on the corner would just get a room… Seems like everyone around me is on their honeymoon… I’d love to take a pen to a heart-shaped balloon! Everybody’s got somebody but me! ~

 

The people clapped and laughed, amused at the lyrics.

“Woah, she’s talking about my balloon!” a guy sitting at the back shouted, earning even more laughs and giggles.

 

~I don’t know how I landed on this movie set… It’s like a casting call for Romeo and Juliet… I never would’ve noticed if we’d never met… But everybody got somebody but me! ~

~And I miss youuuuuuuu! Without you, I just don’t fit in… I know we’re throuuuuuugh, but I’m wishing we could try it again…~

 

“AWWW!” the girls cooed at the sweet lyrics.

“Are you hearing this, Fany?” Sunny asked. “Sica misses you~”

“…”

“Fany…?” Taeyeon looked back at her phone screen. “She hung up.”

They all looked at each other, shrugged, and continued to watch Jessica’s mini show.

 

~I hear love songs playing on the radio… People slow-dancing everywhere I go… I’m a good slow-dancer, but you’d never know! ‘Coz everybody’s got somebody but me! Yeah, they do! ~” Jessica’s fingers played with the chords.

~Everybody… got somebody… And I miss youuuuuuuu! Without you, I just don’t fit in… I know we’re throuuuuuugh, but I’m wishing we could try it again…~

As the chorus finished, the beat slowed, Jessica’s voice taking the main stage, “Sitting here lonely at a table for two… Watching lovers being lovers at the corner booth… Seems like even Cupid don’t know what to do… ‘Coz everybody’s got somebody but me… Yeah, I don’t know if I’ll ever find another youuuu… But everybody… got somebody… but me…~

 

At that last note, the happy beat resumed with Jessica doing some adlibs and the song ended. “Thank you.”

“WOOOH! ENCORE!” The people in the café clapped and cheered, asking for a second song, but Jessica kindly refused.

Jessica smiled genuinely for the first time that day. After a whole day of trying to ruin everyone’s love life and basically being a curmudgeon, it was great venting out.

She set down the guitar and walked down the mini stage.

 

 

“Jessi…”

 

It was like music to the brunette’s ears, hearing that voice she hasn’t heard for three long days.

“Hey,” was all she could come up with. She honestly didn’t know why she suddenly felt nervous, all the confidence on stage going down the drain.

 

Ah, the things Tiffany does… Just my name called and I become vulnerable…

 

They stared at each other for what felt like an eternity, neither one knowing what to say or do.

Finally, Jessica took the first move, stepping on whatever pride she had built.

“I’m sorry.”

 

Tiffany bit her lip to stop the trembling, her eyes already watering.

 

“I miss you, Tiff…”

 

And that did it.

 

“I miss you, too, you dolt!” Tiffany had launched herself on the girl, crying tears of frustration and relief.

“YEAAAH!” The peering crowd cheered as Tiffany circled her arms around Jessica and peppered her face with sweet kisses.

Jessica smiled as their gazes locked—not caring about anyone in the café. She wiped the tears on the younger girl’s cheeks. “I thought you didn’t ever want to talk to me again.”

“Well, you’re an idiot for thinking I meant it.”

“I know. I’m sorry… I really am. I was childish and stupid.”

“You’re forgiven.”

“I love you… more than anything in this world…”

“You know I love only you, too…

 

…So don’t be so jealous and go ripping off Totoro’s head again!” Tiffany smacked Jessica’s head.

“I won’t, I promise!”

“You better buy me a brand new doll!”

“Okay, okay!”

“What are we standing here for then? Let’s go!”

“Now?”

“Of course! I’ll let you buy me ice cream afterwards. Sound good?”

Jessica beamed as Tiffany held her hand. “Sounds like a date.”

No more words are needed to be said as the two sauntered out the café.

 

Okay, maybe just one more thing…

 

 

We’re going on a date! Take that, Totoro!

~+~

 

A/N: And cut! Lol. It's plotless, right? I wrote it at 3am earlier and just posted it now... Sorry for any typos. I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading! Leave me your thoughts?;)

Enjoy your Valentine's day, guys. <3