Meld

VIXX one-shots

They'd been together ever since they could remember (Well other than a gap, where Hackyeon was in Japan) , everything about them was practically in-sync. When the Kaijū had started emerging Hackyeon and Leo had both been sent to the same academy where they resumed their almost twin-like relationship. Training and working together.  They were inseparable. They ate together, they roomed together, everything was together. The Kaijū were somewhat quiet at the moment so they didn't want to push people too young into the Jaeger.  Leo was happy about that, he wasn't ready - he knew he wasn't. He wanted to get stronger, to get bigger. Hackyeon however, just wanted to get out there. His older brother had been a Jaeger driver, but had ended up being killed in a mission that went wrong.  

 

Leo was the only person who knew about it. Leo was the only person Hackyeon ever talked to. Leo didn't ever laugh or tease about how Hackyeon spoke Korean slightly differently. He always had but going to Japan had made it even worse. Hackyeon was shyer than ever but far more powerful. If Hackyeon wasn't so shy he would have been made a leader. Leo looked up to Hackyeon completely, he wanted to be Hackyeon, to be as strong, as fast, as fearless. He wanted to be more and more like Hackyeon the more and more they hung out. The whole base joked that the two Korean boys would make a formidable force once they were at the helm of a Jaeger. Leo felt happy, proud that other people thought that they would make a good team. 

 

It wasn't until they were of age to get in Jaeger. (Hackyeon had waited nearly two years). Leo was nervous, he was suited up and he looked across at Hackyeon who gave him a thumbs up. "We got this." he said confidently. Leo had been taught how to do this all. The mind meld started, it was going well until Hackyeon's mind suddenly rejected Leo. When it failed, they both stood there looking at each other. "What just happened? That can't be right." Hackyeon said glaring at Leo a little. Leo shook his head, he was afraid, he'd never seen Hackyeon this angry.

 

Leo was packing his bags, he knew that he had to move out of Hackyeon's room. He knew why the meld had failed and he knew that Hackyeon would shortly be told why. He knew that once Hackyeon knew there was no going back. Everyone at the base had been surprised when they hadn't melded, none more than Hackyeon and once he found out he would never want to know Leo again. Hackyeon burst through the door and stood staring at Leo. "They told me we can't try again, they told me we aren't compatible. Do you know why we aren't compatible Leo?"

 

Leo nodded, continuing packing he didn't want to turn around, to face Hackyeon. He really wasn't ready to have this conversation with him. "You're in love with me." Hackyeon almost shouted. Leo turned and glared. "You're gay. and my mind rejects yours because of your feelings for me. Why didn't you just tell me before, so I didn't have to waste two years waiting to go out. You do remember it was them that killed my brother. You do remember this is what I've always wanted."

"I thought we'd be ok." Leo said quietly. "I thought our connection on other things would over-ride that." Hackyeon pushed Leo back until he held him by his neck against the wall. "Hackyeon " Leo whispered, "I can't breathe. I'm sorry. I didn't ask to be in love with you."

 

Hackyeon let out a laugh. "I don't care that you love me." Hackyeon pushed harder against Leo's neck. "I care that you knew this was going to happen. I care that you were being trained to be my partner in a Jaeger, and now I have to find a new partner, I have to find a new everything. I have to re-train for years because of you. Because you can't control your emotions. because you couldn't just tell me." Hackyeon stepped back a little. "You know, if you'd have told me, my mind could have accepted yours. I mean it would have been ing weird to feel your feelings for me, but we'd have melded, but now you're rejected from my mind I can't meld with you ever."

 

Leo crumpled on the ground and burst into tears, crying almost hysterically, he was emotionally worn out from the day. Hackyeon turned to leave, but before he did he turned back. "I really wanted to captain a Jaeger with you. And it wouldn't have bothered me, you know, you being... you know. I'm not going to tell anyone Leo, I'm still your best friend."

 

"No you're not." Leo said, trying to stop crying. "you're going to meld with someone else, and I'm going to meld with someone else, and we're going to stop talking to each other once that happens."

 

"But feelings through melding aren't real." Hackyeon walked back to help Leo up. "You know everything about me without having to have been in my mind. No one can replace that."