1/1

The After Life

A sharp pain filled the body of Yoo Youngjae, snapping him awake. The boy blinked for a few minutes, before sitting up and taking in his surroundings. 

Was he dead?

Youngjae felt confused, remembering being shot and thrown in the river. 

Just like Daehyun.

"Youngjae?" Said man snapped his head towards the sound, gasping at the familiar face.

"Daehyun?" Youngjae stood up and walked towards the man, leaving a few feet of space between them.

"Why are you here? Don't tell me... you died?" The sadness in his voice wasn't hard to miss, matching the pouting lips and tearful eyes.

"I did. I was shot and pushed into the Han River on a mission to kill Kim Taehyung." Youngjae didn't know why he was sharing his death with the elder, he was just still used to their close relationship. Besides betraying Daehyun, Youngjae was honest with the boy.

"Were you trying to wipe out my whole family? Did you make him love you too? Did you fall in love with him instead?" Anger and hurt crossed Daehyun's eyes and before Youngjae could answer, he swung a fist that connected with the younger's jaw. Youngjae took a couple steps back, catching his balance until another fist was thrown. Youngjae fell to the floor, being kicked in the side a few times. 

"Daehyun! Wait, it wasn't like that!" Again, Youngjae questioned his actions. Why should he care what Daehyun thought? Why was he defending himself?

"I loved you! I loved you with all my heart and you killed me!" Daehyun yelled, kicking a few more times, before bursting into tears. 

"But... you didn't... You fell in love with what you thought was Yoo Youngjae." The younger winced as he stood, holding his side. "You thought I was so innocent and carefree, when in reality I was thoughtless and obedient. I killed you, regardless of either of our feelings." Youngjae sighed, taking a step back. "Do you want to know what I've been doing for a whole year?" 

"Not really." Youngjae ignored the others ignorance and continued anyways.

"I stayed home, night and day, thinking about my mistake. I regretted killing you, because it made me a coward. Instead of being honest with you and not betray you. Even if that meant dying from my family. At least, I'd have you. But I didn't; I decided to shoot the man I loved. That's right Daehyun, I love you. No I didn't try and make your brother fall in love with me. After killing you, I sorta backed away from my family. Today I got the phone call to kill someone, so I went. I feel like I'm rambling, which is probably true. All my thoughts are so, disorganized. After all the time I spent thinking of you, and I can't even talk to you properly." Youngjae bit his lip, sighing in defeat.

"Do you want to know what I've been doing for a year, Youngjae?" The younger glanced up, nodding at the man. "Watching you, so I know you didn't play with my brother's heart like you did mine. I know you stayed up crying over me at night and sometimes during the day. I know you weren't going to kill my brother. I know you hate your family. But... I didn't know you were planning on visiting me this soon." Daehyun frowned.

"I didn't plan on your brother killing me, though I knew he wouldn't let me walk free. I just thought he'd beat me up or something." Youngjae sighed, looking at the elder with pleading eyes. "Daehyun... I'm sorry." 

"You think you can just say sorry and everything be ok?!" Daehyun screamed, tears returning instantly. 

"No!... I know you're not an idiot, I know I don't deserve you, and I know that you probably hate my guts right now. But I had to let you know how sorry I am. I know it's not going to fix anything, but I feel better telling you and making sure you know. I love you, Jung Daehyun. I never meant to fall for you and when I did, I never meant to hurt you. I wanted to tell you about who I really was, I did! But... my family..." Youngjae looked away, a few of his own tears sliding down his cheeks. "You... You can beat me up now..." He closed his eyes, waiting for the physical pain to start.

"I think... you've had enough." Daehyun said, pulling the younger into his arms. Youngjae was stunned, frozen into place. "You going to hug me back?" Daehyun chuckled. Youngjae blushed, wrapping his arms around the elder's torso.

"...does this mean...?" Youngjae didn't really know how to ask the question, but the elder caught on.

"No. You have to earn my love and trust all over again, but first we have to leave." Daehyun let go of the younger and started to walk.

"Leave? Where to?" Youngjae then realized where they were. We are still on the Earth.

"Heaven." Daehyun smiled, turning back to extend his hand out to the other. "Come on, paradise is waiting for us." Youngjae blushed, taking the elder's hand and walking towards a bright light. Once at the end, the two appeared to be in a different place. They looked around, before glancing at each other.

"Wow." Daehyun breathed out. "You're even more angel-like than before." Youngjae turned a deep red. Spotting a mirror on the side, he walked over and took a look. Sure enough, Youngjae's skin was a bit smoother with a small glow. His eyes were dark and more prominent, causing them to pop out more. His hair was honey blonde, cut and styled perfectly. Lastly, a bright, golden halo circled above his head and whiter than snow wings were attached to his back. 

Youngjae turned back towards the elder, taking a closer look at his appearance. His eyes popped out and his skin glowed just like his own, but instead of honey blonde hair, Daehyun had brown hair with blonde streaks. The halo and wings made Daehyun seem a lot more innocent than he truly was. And they both wore white pants, shirts, and shoes. 

"I look good, no?" Daehyun teased, noticing the younger's stare. Youngjae chuckled at the heavy, thick Busan accent the boy carried. 

"Always." Daehyun smiled, before looking around. He stopped and pointed towards a set of big, gold gates.

"That must be the entrance; let's go." But Youngjae didn't budge from his spot.

"I can't." He spoke up, making Daehyun stop and walk over to him.

"Why not? Don't you want to go inside and see more people?" Daehyun asked, taking Youngjae's hand.

"I... I don't belong here... I... I've killed people, including you, and done things unworthy of this luxury." Daehyun dropped the younger's hand and took a step back.

"Oh... I see. You don't want to be with me. Well then go." Daehyun stormed off, but Youngjae ran after him. When he finally caught up, he wrapped his arms around him from the back.

"No! That's not what I meant." Daehyun tore his hands off, but turned around to face him. He had angry tears streaming down his cheeks and his fist were clenched. 

"Obviously you belong here or you wouldn't have been brought here! Do you think He's some sick sadist, bringing people up here to show off the good life and then send them to hell or back to Earth?! If you didn't want to be with me, why didn't you just say so?" Daehyun stopped, before he chuckled dryly. "I fell for it again, huh? So soon? I'm an idiot, thinking you had really changed."

"But I did change, Daehyun!" Youngjae screamed, trying to get his attention. "I love you. I really do love you. I want to be with you, forever and always... if you let me..." Daehyun cursed himself for not being able to resist the sad, wet eyes and pouting lip.

"...one more chance..." He said quietly, but the younger heard him. Youngjae slowly stepped forward and hugged him.

"I... I love you, Daehyun..." He cried, but this time with tears of joy.

"I love you too, pabo." Daehyun chuckled, bending down and placing a soft kiss on the younger's lips. It was just as Youngjae remembered, except saltier due to the tears from both of them. "Shall we go now?" Daehyun insisted, taking the younger's hand and leading him towards the gate. Once a few feet away, the gate automatically opened. 

"Jung Daehyun and Yoo Youngjae," a loud booming voice greeted them. "Welcome to Heaven."