end.

A Stupid Idea

It was stupid of me to count on Daehyun and take his advice. Daehyun was my best friend, and I might sound like a jerk calling him dumb; but even his mother thought he was dumb. Now that is something. And I, Yoo Youngjae, who everyone looked up to and considered as a smartass, was also dumb to take Daehyun’s advice. It was stupid to ask Daehyun for advice in the first place. I don’t even remember when I was desperate enough to ask that for advice. It was probably during that night –a school party was held for all the 11th and 12th graders. I wasn’t so keen on parties. I preferred staying at home and playing video games or hanging out with my friends, but that party was something I couldn’t miss. The root of all of my problems, the upperclassman Kim Himchan, was also going to be there. Yes, it was all because of him. I had a huge crush that even I couldn’t comprehend on that guy. Why would I, the glorious Yoo Youngjae, have a crush on someone like him? He wasn’t anything special. He was just a little too handsome and bright and lively and happy and childish and cute and weird and kind and… well… he was special. And he was too good for me. I always did my best to make him notice me, but I was sure he never even saw me, let alone noticing me. So I went to the party with the hopes of making him notice me. And he, of course, didn’t even look my direction once. He was hanging out with his best friend as always and I was too shy to go and talk to him…as always. When did my life turn into a sappy drama? When did I become the loser who had a crush on the man that was perfection? All those questions led me to asking Daehyun for advice on how to make Kim Himchan notice me. And Daehyun, being the love expert he was, made an amazing plan. Feel the sarcasm. Ask Kim Himchan to tutor you. I took his freaking advice and here I was, waiting for Himchan to get out of his class. The bell rang and the students got out of the class. I was just hoping that I wouldn’t be a stuttering wreck in front of him.

And here he was getting out of the class with his best friend Yongguk. He was smiling at Yongguk genuinely. He always seemed happy around Yongguk. I always feared there might be something between them, but Daehyun said they were just best friends and he and I also were like that; if there was anything between them, then that would mean there was something between us, too. Hell no. Never ever am I having something like that with Daehyun. I stopped thinking about Daehyun and stepped up when I realized Himchan was walking away.

“Kim Himchan!” I exclaimed a little too loudly. Damn it. What happened to honorifics Yoo Youngjae?

He turned to me, shell-shocked, “Yes?”

“I-I’m s-so sorry. I d-didn’t mean to be mean.” Way to go Youngjae.

“It’s alright,” he said, smiling reassuringly, his bunny teeth showing. Did I ever mention how beautiful his smile was? It was breathtakingly and heavenly beautiful.

“I... I wanted to ask you something.”

“I will leave you two alone,” Yongguk said smirking and left.

Wait. Did he think I was going to ask Himchan out? What if Himchan thought like that, too? I was really screwed now.

“I… um… I was just going to ask you if you could help me with English. I have finals coming up and I heard that you were good at English.” A big lie. I didn’t need help with English. And Kim Himcan was definitely not good at English. It would’ve been a better idea to ask that freshman named Junhong for help in English. Himchan was that bad.

“Oh… I am n-not great at English but I’d be glad to help, Youngjae.” He knew my name. Kim Himchan knew my name. I couldn’t be any happier. That meant he noticed me. And I could see the rest of our story. He would start liking me and ask me out and we would get married and adopt kids and– There is a nametag on your school uniform, you stupid. And my inner voice was here to ruin the mood as always. I could never understand why my inner voice hated me.

“Thank you so much, Himchan!” I said happily and my heels to go to my next class, but Himchan held my wrist.

“Wait. We should exchange numbers so we can talk about the details and stuff.” I need to give him credit. He wasn’t that dumb. And I was just a little love-struck to remember to exchange numbers.

He got a pen out of his bag and started writing his number on my hand, then left shooting me a bright smile. Having a crush on Kim Himchan must be the most difficult thing. I couldn’t know whether he was killing me or making me feel alive. However, my thoughts about his perfection slightly changed when I read what he had written on my hand.

551-483-7962 Call me. Himchanchan. XOXO.






“I’m telling you, he got something for ya,” Daehyun said while munching on his sandwich.

“XOXO doesn’t mean he has anything for me. He is just a bit of a flirt apparently.”

“You’re a pretty princess, of course he would flirt with you.”

“I told you not to call me a princess 56824869037 times, but you’re just too dumb to get it, aren’t you?”

“You’re just too sassy not to be called a princess, baby,” he said winking at me. Give me a reason not to kill Jung Daehyun.

I got up from my chair and was walking towards Daehyun to choke him. He was eating, so I wouldn’t be suspected of his death. I could just say that he died because he choked on his sandwich while talking. He needs to learn not to talk while eating anyway. And I would do a favor to the whole world. No more Jung Daehyun meant peace. But I was prevented from saving the world from Jung Daehyun when my phone vibrated in my pocket. It was probably a message from my mom telling me not to– holy flower it was a message from Himchan.

is it okay for you to meet up at my place after school? xoxo

“He texted you, right? Bet he is asking you to come over to his house,” Daehyun said smirking. How the hell he knew Himchan was asking me to come over was a mystery.

“Well, yeah. How would you know?”

“That’s what any man who wants to you would say.”

“He doesn’t want to me! Damn it Daehyun. I hate you,” I said as I gathered my things to leave.

“Just a friendly reminder, don’t forget to use protection.”

“ you, Daehyun.”





I was gathering my books after we were done studying English in Himchan’s room. It wasn’t much like studying, though. Himchan’s English grammar was not really good, and I realized I would need to tutor him in the future. But it was an amazing night overall. He’d baked a cake for us and it was the most delicious thing I’d ever eaten that was cooked by a male. I was scared that I wouldn’t like him that much if we got any closer because his xoxo’s turned me off, but being his company that evening made me realize something. Liking Himchan from afar was something, being able to be his friend was another thing. He was even more amazing in person. He was a little too lame, but that was also his charm. Saying he was the best thing I’d ever known wouldn’t be an exaggeration.

I was ready to leave their house after bidding goodbye to Himchan and his mom, but then I realized Himchan was getting his coat and preparing to leave with me.

“You didn’t think I’d let you go home alone at this hour, right?” he said when he caught me looking at him questioningly.

“For your information, I’m not a baby.”

“You look like one though.”

“You didn’t just call me a baby, Kim Himchan,” I said glaring at him.

“Since when did you start talking disrespectfully to your seniors?”

“I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean to…”

“Chill, I’m just kiddin’,” he said as he playfully hit my shoulder.

And we walked to my home just talking about anything, not caring whether it was stupid or not. I realized something once again that night. Jung Daehyun was definitely the dumbest person I’d ever known. Himchan didn’t even think of doing anything bad to me like Daehyun supposed. He was the kindest man I’d ever known. And I was falling even deeper.




I’d been to Himchan’s house for a few more times and he’d also been to mine. We were getting more comfortable with each other. The tutoring was turning into something more different, but I didn’t mind that. That was my intention after all. We’d chat, watch movies, walk in the park, and it was all heavenly. I was scared that this would end one day and I’d wake up from my best dream. I knew he didn’t like me in a romantic way, but I knew we were friends and he indeed liked me. And that was more than enough for me.

My phone vibrated, indicating that I got a message. It was probably from Himchan. He liked texting me random things at random times.

should i ask him out? i really like him a lot. >.<

Oh. I did not really expect that. That was too random for even Himchan. So he liked someone… And he was asking me for advice. That’s one hell of a drama.

if you like him, then just tell him :)

He didn’t reply to me that night. I didn’t have the courage to text him, either. I didn’t even have the courage to see him anymore. So I just did what was the easiest. I just slept. And I definitely did not cry myself to sleep like some heartbroken teenager.




“That’s too bad man! I was sure he liked you, though,” Daehyun was futilely trying to console me.

“Well, he liked me as a friend. Whatever, I don’t care anymore.”

“I’m sorry Youngjae,” he said hugging me. And he really sounded sorry. I must’ve looked miserable.

“It’s alright, Dae. You really helped me a lot,” I said hugging him back. Well, Daehyun could be dumb, but he was the best friend one could ever have. I couldn’t ask for anything better.

After staying like that for a few more seconds, I went out to get some fresh air. School garden always eased me. I tried to convince myself that I was okay, because I didn’t expect Himchan to have romantic feelings for me; but I couldn’t lie to myself. I was hurt. More than I ever thought I’d be. I wanted to get mad at Himchan and hate him, but I couldn’t. He was an amazing person. He never did anything to hurt others. I was hurt because of him, but not loving me wasn’t his fault. Love was a strange phenomenon. Someone would love you, but you wouldn’t love them. You’d love someone else, but they would love another person. It was just a sick cycle. I swear I will not fall in lo–

“Hey, baby Jae,” a voice I recognized, but wanted to forget, said sitting down next to me.

“I’m not a baby, Kim Himchan,” I said not looking at him.

“I didn’t mean to send you that message last night. I was going to send it to Yongguk, but since your name was just under his name, I accidentally sent it to you.”

“I didn’t mind it.”

“So what do you say? Should I ask him out?”

“Sure, if you like him.”

“I like him a lot. But he is a little fierce. I’m scared he would hit me.” I hope he’ll hit your pretty face. Oh God, since when did I become evil?

“I’m sure he likes you back.”

“Mmm… Do you really like me back, Youngjae?”

“This is irrelevant. Go and ask him, Himchan.”

“I’m asking him now but he is just ignoring me. I think he doesn’t like me back.”

What the hell was he blabbering? Okay, I knew Himchan was kind of dumb, but this was too much


“What do you mean?”

“And you’re known as a smart boy, huh? I swear you’re the dumbest person I’ve ever known, Youngjae.”

“I’m not dumb! You just don’t know how to form your sentences, you dumb!”

“What I’m trying to say is that I really like you and will you go out with me then marry me and then we will adopt children and–“

I cut him off with a kiss. He was talking too much anyway. And I wouldn’t be able to give a better answer than a kiss at that moment. It was funny how he had the same dreams as me. Go out, marry and then adopt children. I was sure that he was the one at that moment. I also realized taking Daehyun’s advice wasn’t that stupid. It was probably the best idea Daehyun had ever had. I never thought Kim Himchan would like me, let alone wanting to date me. But here we were in each other’s arms. This was the best thing I’d ever had, and I knew it wasn’t a dream. I also knew we’d have many more memories that I’d consider as the best. And apparently, I was the dumbest one in our story. How it was possible to be dumber than Daehyun and Himchan was a complete mystery, though. It was probably the specialty of glorious Yoo Youngjae.





a/n: i'm deeply sorry if the story disappointed you ;u; i always like the beginnings of my stories but i screw up towards the end ;; and i think i kinda started shipping daejae halfway through the story ;u;