032

032. Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since his last senior year had started, Donghae has been getting a single red rose in his locker every day (well, the first one had been yellow with red tips and Donghae swore they meant something, but he wasn’t bothered enough to go look it up). Sometimes they come with a cookie or even with a little note that’s sometimes either scribbled on some scrap paper, or printed and scented on light blue card. Sometimes he doesn’t even get a note or anything, but the roses still come.

Honestly, he doesn’t know how they get in his locker. Sure, setting his code as his birthday might not have been the smartest idea, but they were at the point where no one bothered remembering birthdays anymore.

On a particularly gloomy Tuesday, Donghae stays late at school and studies. He sits in room, and his classmates stand up to go one by one, but he remains. Of course, there’s someone else there as well. There always is.

When Donghae falls into a comfortable silence with whoever it is that has stayed behind as well, he hears the sound of a single chair scraping, and he catches a glimpse of Lee Hyukjae closing his books and sending him a small smile before waving and muttering a small “you should go soon; it’s late.”

Donghae laughs. “I guess I should- after this question then.”

Hyukjae shrugs, and holds his books and walks out the door. “Bye, Donghae.”

Staring at his work book one last time, Donghae decides that maybe he doesn’t want to answer one last question, so he packs his things particularly slowly, glad everyone had left.

He walks down the corridor and notices that it’s almost half past six. He stops by the window for approximately six minutes to watch the sunset, and smiles- the finest things in life are free.

Stopping by his locker hesitantly, Donghae unlocks it and it opens casually, expectantly. He doesn’t expect a rose because he usually gets them in the morning. He doesn’t get a rose, but he gets a cookie and a note.

Smiling, he picks up the cookie and takes a small bite, indulging in the fudge. He fumbles to uncrumple the scrap piece of paper the person has decided to write on today, and notices that the scrap piece of paper looks oddly like a piece of the homework he had just been doing.

Donghae forgets the thought immediately when he finishes the last bite of the cookie, and inside is the same handwriting that has been writing to him for a few weeks now.

Hey Donghae,

I know I usually give these things in the mornings, but I had and extra cookie and I saw you work really hard today. Don’t be too stressed about the exams; you’re going to do great, I just know it. Please don’t be too upset, and get some rest and drink lots of water.

I think you’re perfect!

Donghae laughs and smiles and folds the note up neatly and tucks it in the pocket of his school pants. He notices how at the end of the note, there’s something scribbled out. It’s only two or three characters long, so Donghae assumes it’s the person’s name. He smiles at the cute mistake and locks his locker again.

As he’s about to turn away, Donghae suddenly gets the urge to write a note back for the first time- and so he does.

He takes out a scrap piece of paper he had taken in the middle of class today and although it’s big, it’ll do. Taking out his thin red marker, Donghae writes in his messy handwriting; Thank you so much for being a great person- you never fail to make my day. He contemplates whether he should ask who the sender is, but he scribbles in a ‘who are you, by the way, if you don’t mind me asking?’ right at the very end, and nods to himself, deeming it perfect.

Not bothered to unlock his locker again, the brunet shoves it in the small hole of his locker before turning around and leaving.

The next day, he gets to school pretty early. He unlocks his locker, and there it is- another rose and a note.

This time, it’s a red rosebud with no thorns. Donghae wonders if this is significant, but then he remembers the note he left yesterday and he feels his heart beat faster. He takes in the soft pink of the note, and the cute message written in pretty familiar handwriting in blue pen.

Dear Donghae,

It’s really nothing! ♥ But really, don’t you get love letters from everyone? I mean, you’re really cute and smart and perfect and everything in between. There would be something wrong with everyone else if they didn’t think so. ^^

The fact that I make your day makes me smile. It’s not true, is it? You don’t even know who I am! You want to know though, right? Hmm- I’ll give you a hint. Just because you’re you ♥

I’m around your height- perhaps a few centimetres taller ^^ I’m also male. I hope that doesn’t freak you out. If it does then you can just say and I’ll stop. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that, but I trust that you aren’t that terrible of a person?

Love, me.

P.S. It’s Valentine’s Day soon too! You know that chocolate giving fundraiser? It seems interesting. Perhaps a tad bit too expensive, but it’s for charity, so I guess that’s okay.

Donghae doesn’t realise he’s smiling by the first little heart. He reads, and beams, tucking it into his pocket to reply to once he gets to class. Sadly, he’s early, and there are only a few bags there, and no people to be seen. He sits on his desk and takes out the note and another scrap sheet of paper and begins to write a reply in the same fine red marker.

Dear Tall Person,

No- it’s really something. To bother that much… really! You’re so sweet. And to answer that- no, I don’t get love letters from anyone. In fact, you’re the first person that has given me cute little cryptic letters in my locker. Perhaps those two words don’t work together.

I’m blushing omfg. I am not perfect but thank you so much- and I bet you’re more perfect.

Taller than me and male? Please, that’s not even a hint. There’s only, like, two people shorter than me that are males and Sungmin is dating and Ryeowook isn’t even interested. But if it makes you feel better, I swing both ways with a preference for males?

(Maybe that was an excuse to get, perhaps, another hint? Is that okay? c:)

I sincerely hope I’m not that terrible of a person.

Love, Donghae.

P.S. I love chocolate, but don’t waste your money!

Donghae nods satisfied with the note as he folds it up. Slinging his bag onto the desk, he hears a loud thud, and he winces at it, remembering the laptop.

“What do you even have in your bag?”

Donghae shrieks, the note flying out of his hand and he turns around, startled. The owner of the voice, Hyukjae, is mildly amused.

“Sorry,” he says, not sounding sorry.

Donghae picks up the note from the floor and stands upright, playfully slapping Hyukjae on the arm, watching the taller boy wince but laugh nonetheless.

He waltzes out the door, to put the note in the locker, and Hyukjae smiles at the boy.

“Cute,” he says breathlessly.

-

In the middle of Math, Donghae asks to go to the toilet. It’s third period, so the teacher lets him, and he walks out the room with a smile on his face.

He doesn’t go to the toilet; he goes to his locker. And to his surprise, there lays a note folded up. Unable to contain his excitement, he lets out a little squeal as he carefully takes it in his hands and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter