Dance Practice

Choreographer

*Go with me / Believe in me and come / Look only at me / Don’t look back / Come with me / Even if I’m tired, / I’ll persevere because it’s you / Stay by my side*

“Okay, stop the song here. I’ll do this part step by step, watch me carefully and try to catch the moves.”

“Ready… 5, 6, 7, 8. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Turn turn tap tap. Watch the leg movements first…”

It was yet another day of practice, I was in the dance studio with the boys, teaching them the new dance for their comeback. Every day was the same, coming to the studio and start practice straight away, correcting their moves and helping them improve…

“This dance is almost complete, just a little more to go. Let’s see how much you guys can do now.”

The seven boys walked to the center of the studio and got into their positions. Once the song started, they danced to the beat. I watched their every movement, every step and even their every breath.

They have the potential in them. They sing, they dance, and they shine on the stage. Unlike someone like me, who has the potential too but could only be hidden. People rejected me. I had been trying. I spend my free time dancing, choreographing my own dance, and going for auditions whenever possible. But after that injury, no one wanted me. All they saw was my injury, they forgot or simply ignored the fact that I once shone on stage too. I was being rejected over and over again. It came to a point where I felt tired of everything, I wanted to give up. But I could not. I became a choreographer instead. If I could no longer perform on stage, I will teach others then.

The song stopped and the boys stood at their position, catching their breath. One of them was panting heavily.

“Nam Woohyun! You did not control your breathing! How many times must I warn you about it?” I scolded him for the countless time.

“All of you done well. The moves and steps, you’ve remembered. But! You are merely dancing. Where’s the power? Where’s the emotion? There wasn’t a single bit of feeling in the dance!” The boys nodded and took note of the points.

“And you have to watch your breathing. All of you will be singing and dancing at the same time, I don’t want any of you to run out of breath on stage. Especially the lead and main vocals. The rappers too. That’s do this one last time. Be serious boys. You don’t have much time left to your comeback.”

“Do not rush, think of the lyrics, what kind of emotions and feelings are there in the song? Recall the whole dance, take note of your positions, and don’t get into one another’s way. Come on guys, you can do it!” I reminded again before playing the song.