Chapter 23

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 23

 

Chen started to walk me back to my house since it was already dark out. I didn’t want him to walk me back, but I guess I was more than happy to spend a little more time with him. We had kept silence for awhile now, so I was trying to find ways to speak up but every time I would think of something to say, I would just fall speechless. I never understood my own feelings towards the bond between us. I still felt nervous even though I hugged him earlier.

“Ga Eul?”

I turned my head to face him. “Mmm?”

“You don’t think I’m weird, right?”

I chuckled. “Why would I?”

“I feel like I’ve told you too much about myself.”

“No, you didn’t.” I replied.

“But I did.”

“I want to know more.” I said as I inched towards him a little more. “Will you tell me more about yourself?”

“I think I’ve told you more than enough.” He said.

“Then tell me more about your dreams.” I said as I felt our hands brush. I looked down and just as I did, Chen chuckled. “Why are you laughing?” I asked looking back at him.

“Nothing.” Suddenly, I felt Chen’s hand grab onto mine.

“W-what are you doing?” I asked a little shocked.

“Not being ten years old, Ga Eul.” He shook his head at me, but he was still smiling. “We’re here.”

“Huh?” I turned away from him and my face fell into disappointment. “Oh.”

We were already at my house. Time was flying so fast even though we barely said a word to each other and it really got me disappointed. I wanted to spend more time with him and if I could, I would like to spend the rest of the night with him, but it was already almost past midnight and I’m sure my father was probably waiting for me to come home.

“You should go in. It’s getting colder.” Chen said as he looked directly at my face, making me feel embarrassed. “Hopefully your father won’t think that taking you out this late was bad.”

“I’m sure he wouldn’t have cared much.” I sighed as I ran a hand through my nappy hair. “I guess… Good night?”

“Good night, Ga Eul.” Chen was waving at me.

My hands held onto the cold doorknob as I stared at Chen. He was waiting for me to go in, still waving at me cutely, but I couldn’t find myself to go in. I wanted to keep staring at him, as if I wouldn’t be able to do this any longer, but this only made me think about the things he’s told me about himself; his parents kicked him out of the house. That made me question where he would sleep during the nights.

“Chen.” I let go of my doorknob.

“What?” He asked confused as he put his hands down finally. “Why aren’t you going in?”

“Sleep at my house tonight.” I blurted out.

“What?” His eyes widened as if I had just become crazy.

“Sleep over. It’s late and I’m sure there aren’t any more buses to take you back.”

He didn’t say anything. He stood there in silence.

“Yah.” I pouted at him.

“I can’t sleep over at a girl’s house. That sounds ridiculous.” He shook his head at me with a small smile. “It’s okay, Ga Eul, I’ll just –.”

“And where are you going to sleep then?” I asked. “At a bath house?”

His face turned pink under the moon’s light.

“You’ve been sleeping there?!” I asked.

He looked away. “I sleep at Lu Han’s house sometimes.”

I raised an eyebrow and crossed my arms.

“And Xiu Min’s.”

I scoffed.

“Lay offers too!”

“Just one night, Chen.” I suggested. “Besides, my father won’t mind. I promise.”

“Your father might –.” Chen suddenly stopped speaking and he looked like he froze in his spot.

“Chen?” I raised an eyebrow. “W-what’s wrong?”

“Yeah, Chen, what’s wrong?” I heard a voice behind me say.

I turned around and just as I did, I felt my father’s eyes stare right down at me. “Appa…?”

“I thought his name was Jong Dae, not Chen?” My father questioned.

“No, his nickname is Chen…” I quickly recovered. “Appa, what are you doing up?”

“My daughter went out late with a guy I had just met; it makes me worried.” He shrugged. “And look at how late he brought you back.”

“Appa!” I groaned from the embarrassment. “Stop it.”

“Well, regardless how late he took you, I believe he should stay over like what you were saying.” I watched my father walk towards Chen and wrap his arm around his shoulders. “Chen, right?” Chen nodded his head. “There aren’t any more buses out there running right now, so you should just sleep over.”

I was at awe watching my father bring Chen into our house so casually. Chen looked back at me, probably trying to say something to me, but I didn’t bother with it. I walked in behind them and closed the front door before going straight to my room to change out of my clothes. I took my time, knowing that my father was probably going to question him awkwardly. I couldn’t wait to see how Chen would react to it, but I thought I’d give them some time alone.

When I finished changing, I went downstairs to find Chen in the dining room eating a dish that my father quickly made for him. I stood by the entrance way and watched as my father talked to him from across the table about his family, what he wanted to do when he graduates, what he was doing right now, etc. I smiled seeing that they were bonding so easily because now, it kind of looked like Chen was enjoying his time with my father’s presence.

“Whatever it is that you do in the future, you’re going to be great, Jong Dae.” I heard my father say. “You’re handsome and I’m sure you’re full of talent.”

“Thank you, sir. I really appreciate it.” Chen bowed his head. “You should head to bed now. It’s getting late and you work tomorrow morning.”

“You’re right. I didn’t even look at the time.” My father stood up from his chair and reached over to ruffle Chen’s hair. “Have a good night and sleep well.”

“Thank you, sir. Good night.” Chen stood up and bowed. “And thank you for the food.”

“Of course.” My father finally left the dining room and when he saw me, he ruffled my hair playfully. “You have quite an amazing friend, huh, Ga Eul?”

“Amazing?” I questioned.

“Of course.” He chuckled. “Be good to him.”

“I will.” I nodded. “Go to bed, Appa.”

“Have a good night and keep him company.” My father walked past me and went up the stairs and into his room.

After my father was gone, I was supposed to go into the dining room, but I felt someone grab my arm and yank me towards the living room, scaring the crap out of me. I knew it was Chen, but he made it feel as if it were someone else. He playfully pushed me onto the couch and sat down beside me and closed his eyes as he let out a sigh of relief. He turned his head so he was looking at me and smiled.

“Yah.” I glared at him.

“What? Did I scare you?” He sat up straighter and leaned towards me.

“No.” I rolled my eyes.

“Your father said I’m sleeping in your room.”

My eyes widened. “No way!”

“He said he was going to set up a bed on the ground up in your room.” He shrugged. “You’re sleeping on the ground though. Your father said it was always best to make guests feel like they’re at home.”

“You’re such a liar!” I scoffed. “Quit kidding yourself.”

“No, Ga Eul. You should go check.”

I ran up to my room, not believing Chen, and just as I did, I saw the bed on the ground already made. I was about to turn back around and go talk to Chen down in the living room, but I turned around and collided into him. Chen was laughing at me, as if this was funny or something, but it really wasn’t.

“Your bed looks really comfy.”

“Shut up.” I replied as I sat on the ground where the bed was made. “I’m going to bed.”

“Oh? You’re going to sleep down there?” He chuckled.

I threw the blanket over my body and sprawled on the ground without saying a word. I didn’t want to speak to Chen because he was being stupid – funny stupid, if I was a little honest.

“I like your bed.” I heard Chen climb onto my bed. “Ooh… The pillows are soft.”

“Maybe getting close to you wasn’t a good idea.” I joked.

“It’s not my fault you kept bothering me.” He sighed. “Even when I was pushing you away~”

“Yeah. Yeah.” I turned around so I was now lying face-up.

“Ga Eul.”

“What?”

“Look over here.”

I turned my face and saw that Chen was at the edge of my bed staring down at me.

“I was kidding about sleeping on your bed.”

“It’s okay.” I said.

“Come sleep up here. I’ll sleep down there.” Chen sat up and got off my bed.

“No, you can sleep on my bed.”

“Don’t make me carry you up to your bed.” Chen said as he bent down towards me.

“Let me be. I’m too tired to argue with you.” I closed my eyes and let out a yawn. “Just sleep on my bed. I’ll be fine down herrrreeeeeeeeeeee~! CHEN! PUT ME DOWN!”

I was struggling in Chen’s arms that I made him lose his balance and he fell on top of me. We stayed in that position for awhile and it made me feel really out of place. He was staring at me, as if I was some kind of alien and he was trying to figure out who I was. I was going to push him off, but he leaned towards me, making me wonder if I was still breathing.

“You’re very pretty.” Chen said.

I felt as if my heart would beating rapidly now. “W-what?”

“Do I have to say it again?” Chen asked, making my face heat up.

“No.” My eyes widened. “Don’t.”

“So you heard me?”

“Nope. I didn’t.”I shook my head. “Now, Chen, will you get off of me?”

Chen rolled off of me and now we were laying side by side. I could still feel my face heating up and I was kind of embarrassed. Just to make myself feel even more awkward, he turned his face towards me like he did at the bath house and again, he grabbed my hands and interlocked his fingers with mine. It felt like time had slowed down.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I was about to pull away from him, but he only held onto me tighter. “Chen.”

“Can we stay like this for a bit?” He asked.

“Huh?”

“Good night, Ga Eul.” He said.

I watched Chen as his eyes started to close and his breathing became a little heavier and heavier as time started to pass us by. I wanted to wake him up and tell him that he should go sleep or that I will sleep on the ground, but I liked this kind of feeling that was drowning me and so we stayed like this.

Even though I was really tired and I wanted to sleep, I didn’t want to waste my time; I kept staring at Chen. I observed every structure on him, as if I’ve never seen him, but it was so rare to see him this close. I leaned in closer to him, since he was asleep already, and looked at his long eyelashes, his sharp nose, his eyebrows that were shaped so nicely, his eyelids that looked so soft, and when my eyes reached down to his lips, I felt myself become nervous.

There was something about this very moment that made it feel as if my heart was beating like crazy. He wasn’t even awake and yet, here I was, acting as if he had done something to make my heart skip a freaking beat. I wanted to pull away, but his hands were still interlocked with mine and I didn’t want to wake him up – at least not yet. I stayed still and took a deep breath through my nose, hoping that my breath wouldn’t hit him.

I closed my eyes for a bit, feeling the sleepiness take over my body, but then I felt his breath hit my lips and I suddenly felt like he was a little too close to my face. I opened my eyes again, but when I did, I only saw a sleepy Chen in front of me. I took another deep breath, as if I didn’t take enough, and let it out slowly. Just then, my eyes fell onto his lips once again. I don’t know what was going on with me.

“I’m going crazy.” I whispered under my breath.

I leaned in closer to him and looked at how close our lips were. My heart was beating a little faster every time I moved in closer to him. I don’t know what I was doing, but I pressed my lips up against his lightly and kissed him while he was sleeping, hoping that this wouldn’t have woken up, but what happened next really took me by surprise – I felt Chen’s lips press against mine, kissed me back. I opened my eyes, thinking that he was awake, but his eyes were still closed. I was about to pull away from him, but I felt his other hand softly hold the back of my head so he could kiss me deeply. This kiss was different from when Seung Ho kissed me. The way Chen was kissing me right now was soft and sweet and I felt secured; I never felt that way when Seung Ho kissed me. This kiss didn't feel forced and he didn't make me want to pull away from him. Maybe it wasn’t romantic, but the way his kiss made me feel was unexplainable, but it was very heart-warming – something I’ve longed for.

“Maybe I’ve gone a little crazy too.” Chen said as our lips brushed while he talked. “But I like it.”

And just like that, he kissed me again.

 

 


 

*A/N: Super late double update! Sorry! Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah