Chapter 16

Goodbye Autumn

Chapter 16

 

After Chen and I finished making our cups, the ahjusshi at the shop had said that it would probably take till tomorrow night until we get to pain our cups and glaze them as well. I was really excited since my cup surprisingly turned out better than I thought. Chen's cup looked like a piece of art, making mine look a tad bad, but it's not like it really mattered anyway. We both headed out of the shop when we were done and this led us to the night's cold breeze that we weren't ready for. I shivered even though I was wearing enough clothes to keep me warm. Chen, on the other hand, looked numb to the weather.

We both stood by the bus stop together, not saying a word. I felt like saying something just to make the atmosphere not so awkward, but by looking at Chen, it looked like he didn't want to talk to me anyway. I stuffed my hand into my pockets and covered my face with my shirt to keep myself a little more warm. I glanced over at him from time to time, but he looked so absorbed with... Nothing. He had his hands in his pockets as he was swaying back and forth a little. He pursed his lips a few times, as if he knew this atmosphere was getting a little awkward and he didn't know what to do about it.

When the bus came, I walked in first thinking that Chen would follow in behind me, but just when I was about to sit down, I saw that he was still standing at the bus stop, staring right back at me, making me feel out of place. I moved from where I was going to sit and ran back down to the steps of the bus.

"Y-you're not getting on?" I asked. Why would he just stand there when the bus was ready to leave? Was he not getting on?

"No, I actually have to get going somewhere else." He said as he pressed his lips together. "I'm kind of late."

"W-what? W-why did you wait here then?" My eyes widened in confusion.

"To see you off safely." I was caught off by his words. He... He waited here just to see me get onto the bus? "Have a good night, Ga Eul."

Before I could even say anything to him, he turned around and walked off, leaving my mouth ajar. I could tell that the bus driver was getting impatient with me so I quickly walked back to the seat I was going to sit at and sat down. When I leaned back against the chair, my memory flashed back to Chen. He actually waited with me just to see me get onto the bus even though he was late to something else? I was... I was kind of touched by his actions. 

 

 

When I had gotten to school the next day, I felt more... If I could say it... I felt more alive. I had enough sleep and rested well. I even had time to wake up, take a morning shower, and eat breakfast. I was energized and I've never felt so free and happy. Even being at school seemed to make me feel a little better. It was kind of nice having this kind of feeling since I didn't have it often. I made my way to class and sat down in my desk, taking out all of my homework that I had even finished from last night. This was probably the first time this whole year that I was caught up with everything. I probably should reweard myself with something...

As class started, I somehow didn't even pay attention to the lecture that was going on, but I managed to understand what was still going on. The only thing that was on my mind today was that I get to go back to the workshop and paint my cup and even glaze it. I was pretty excited about it and I couldn't wait to see how it turned out. I almost forgot about my hanji paper! My face brightened up a little. I remembered coloring the paper a light aqua color since it was pretty when I saw it in the paint can... I wonder if it turned out alright. I was pretty curious.

If anything was more exciting than that, actually, scratch that, that was the only thing I was looking forward to today. Lunch passed by like a blur with Ji Min and Jae Kyung, who seemed to be happier these days as well. And when I had gotten home, I excitedly changed out of my clothes into a pair of black jeans, a white long sleeve button-up, and black oxfords. I put on a few gold bracelets and a watch and straightened my hair out a little. After I was done getting dressed, I grabbed my purse and threw everything I needed into it. Just as I was about to run out the door to go to the workshop, my phone started to ring like crazy. I took it out of my purse and saw that Seung Ho was calling.

"Hello?" I answered as I looked down at my watch to see what the time was. It was passed four o'clock now.

"Hey, Ga Eul, are you ready for tonight?" Seung Ho asked through the other line.

I yanked at my hair as I tripped over myself. How could I forget that I had a dinner date with him and his parents tonigth? I was so excited about going to the workshop and had forgotten about it. I felt horrible. I'm so freaking stupid. At least Seung Ho didn't realize I forgotten... Right?

"Oh yeah. I'm so excited!" I said as I raced back up the stairs and ran back into my room to find something appropiate to wear. "What time will you be coming to my house to pick me up?"

"I should be there in ten minutes." He replied.

"Oh? Ten minutes?" I quickly started to take off my pants and rushed to look for something to wear. "Ah, is it formal? I don't want to be overdressed..."

Honestly, I didn't know what to wear for a dinner in general. If I could have, I would have just worn what I was wearing to dinner, but I couldn't give Seung Ho's parents a bad impression of me. They would probably think low of me and not to mention, they probably would be disappointed at their son for talking to someone who looked like they could care less about their appearance. I didn't want or need that happening. I hung up on Seung Ho after we said our goodbyes and I quickly changed into a black skirt with black see through tights underneath, a thick, white fleece sweater, and ankle cut black boots. I quickly redid my makeup and just as I finished, the bell to my door rung.

"Perfect timing..." I whispered under my breath before running down the steps with my purse. When I opened the door, Seung Ho was standing there with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. "Oh? What are these for?"

"It's not just a dinner date with my parents, Ga Eul." Seung Ho smiled cutely at me before he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my house. "Just pretend that they're not there sometimes."

I chuckled at his statement as we got into his car. "Where are we going to eat?"

"It's going to be a surprise." He said as he his engine and started to drive off. "By the way, Ga Eul, you looke amazing. My parents are going to love you."

I blushed. "Do you think so? Am I too overdressed? Or maybe am I underdressed?"

"You're perfectly fine." He reached over and squeezed my hands assuring me kindly.

 

 

Seung Ho and I had gotten to the restaurant first. The restaurant wasn't too high-classed so it didn't make me feel too out of place, but it was nice enough to show me that I probably wouldn't come here again. The room was lit kind of dark and the walls were shaded a dark red wine color, which made the room feel a little more romantic than it already was. The silver wear looked so clean, the dim light made it shine. Our wine glasses were filled with water right away and our waiter was very kind in telling us a few things about the menu. While we waited for his parents, Seung Ho and I talked about school and how exciting it was that we were only a few months away from graduation.

Thinking about graduation made me cringe. Was I even going to make it that far? I shook my head, not wanting to think about that time right now. I decided to change to the subject, but just as I was about to do so, his parents came to our table and happily greeted us. Both Seung Ho and I stood up from our seats and bowed, greeting them politely before they sat down and we followed suit. We quickly ordered entrees to eat and talked to each other while we waited. 

"Seung Ho always talks about how he has the biggest crush on such a lovely lady and look, here she is with us tonight." His mother happily smiled at me. She seemed really sweet by the way she kindly spoke and looked at me. It honestly made me feel relaxed. "It's a shame that Seung Ho was horrible and describing you, Choi Ga Eul. You're much prettier in person."

I blushed. "Thank you, Mrs. Yoo."

"So tell us, Choi Ga Eul, what are you planning to do after high school? Are you thinking about going to college at all?" His father now had spoken. His father seemed a little strict, but he was still kind with his words. "Seung Ho says he's going to go study abroad so he could major in international business."

I bit my lip thinking about college. I didn't even know if I was going to make it to college and here they were, asking me if I was going and what I was supposed to major in. I hated talking about the future. I hated these things the most. It made my heart ache, as if it was telling me, "You're not going to get to college". "You'll never get to do anything in the future". I wanted to cry, but I had to hold back my tears since I just met Seung Ho's parents and also, Seung Ho knew nothing about my heart, which made me feel suddenly guilty. I wonder how he'd react when I tell him...

"Honey?" Seung Ho's mom waved her hand in front of me. "Are you okay?"

"Oh. I'm sorry." I smiled apologetically as I bowed my head a little. "I kind of got lost in thought."

"It's okay." She assured me.

I was saved by the waiter coming with our food, but being saved had only lasted a few minutes. While we at our entrees, Seung Ho's parents asked me about my parents as well. They questioned what my father did and how we were living, which kind of made me feel out of place. Not only did they ask about my father, but they asked about my mother. For one thing, I've never talked about my mother to anyone. It just wasn't something that was easily brought up so I had to lie to them and say that she was living out of the country with my uncle because she had a small business over there that she had run with her family for over years and years. I wasn't lying... Technically... I understand that they were only curious, but this is the first dinner date that we were having and I just didn't know how to answer them correctly without making a mistake. I felt like everything they were asking me was getting out of me. They even brought up what I wanted to do in the future and what I wanted to be again and it was starting to stress my heart out to the point where my breathing started to become short.

"Stop it, Abuji. You're asking her too many questions on the first day." Seung Ho gave his father a stern look and this made his father apologize immediately. Seung Ho turned to me and held my hand. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, will you excuse me?" I stood up from my chair and ran into the bathroom. I dug through my bag and looked for my bottle and took a pill to calm down my mini heart attack that was happening. How could I get so overwhelmed with questions like that? "What is wrong with me?"

After my heart had calmed down, I made my way out of the bathroom and walked back down to our table. It looked like Seung Ho was scolding his father about something because he didn't look too happy. I felt horrible that I would make him feel that way towards his father. When I sat back down, they all became quiet and smiled at me, as if nothing ever happened.

"Are you okay?" Seung Ho's mother asked me.

"I'm fine, but my father just called me and says he needs me at home as soon as possible to discuss something personal." I stood up and bowed towards Seung Ho's parents apologetically. "I'm sorry that I have to leave so early when it is our first dinner together. Please, forgive me for being so rude."

"No, it's okay. It was nice getting to know you while we could." Seung Ho's mother said as she smiled at me happily.

"We can always set up another dinner date." Seung Ho's father spoke this time. "I'm sorry for bombarding you with so many questions."

"No, it was expected." I bowed once more before turning around.

"Let me take you home, Ga Eul." Seung Ho stood up but I held a hand up, stopping him.

"Please, stay and have dinner with your parents, Seung Ho." I smiled. "It's okay. I can go myself."

"W-what? A-are you sure?" He looked very sorry and it made me feel bad that I was doing this.

"It's okay. I'll see you at school?" I bowed once more before I turned around and headed out.

Once I got outside, I leaned back against the brick wall of the building and took a deep breath. I felt like I was suffocating in there with the three of them. It was a relief to be out here without anyone near me. I closed my eyes and brought my watch up to my eyes to see what time it was. It was almost midnight, but this made me wonder what I'd do. Should I go home or should I go do something else to relax myself? Then I remembered the workshop!

 

 

When I ran through the doors of the workshop, I saw the ahjusshi sitting down at his own desk listening to soft music again, but not only was he there, Chen was also sitting at the same work table that we were at just yesterday. He was painting his cup with bright colors while my cup was sitting right in front of him. He looked over at me since I made such a loud ruckus and scoffed as soon as our eyes met. I was still trying to catch my breath from running, so I probably looked a little ridiculous. The ahjusshi was probably thinking that I was kind of crazy. This was a little embarrassing, but nothing could be helped.

"Are you going to stand there all night or are you going to come paint and glaze your cup?" Chen spoke as his attention went back to his cup.

I let out a sigh before I finally made my way to the table and sat down across from Chen. We worked on our cups for the next two hours in silence, painting and glazing them all night. Chen and I didn't speak one word to each other since we were both so concentrated on making our cups look as amazing as possible. I honestly was so into mine since I was thinking about how to color it and make it look good. Chen, on the other hand, seemed to know what he was doing because he had finished twenty minutes earlier than I did, but still, he waited for me until I was done.

"Here's your hanji paper, miss." The ahjusshi gave me my paper rolled up nicely with a string tying it together. "You can write or even draw on it."

"Thank you so much." I bowed happily as I pulled out my wallet to pay him.

"No, it's paid off already." The ahjusshi shook his hands in front of him.

"Paid off? Who paid it?" I asked confused.

"Your boyfriend, who claims you're not his girlfriend, paid for it." The ahjusshi answered finally, making my cheeks flush.

Just when I was about to turn around and say something to Chen, he walked out of the workshop. He was always full of surprises.

 

 


 

**A/N: Boring but something. Enjoy if you can OTL. Please read and comment. I'd love to hear about your opinions, so please don't be a silent readerThank you and read with lots of love! Keke~! Muah