Her name

Rooftop

Rooftop Café, a standalone two level coffee house. Yet the irony of the café was, the rooftop was not in operations. The rooftop was an empty spot that almost no one knew, except for Gary and a few. The rooftop was Gary’s favourite spot, his quiet and inspirational area. He knew the owner of the café so she let him have the rooftop unlocked, making it a personal space for Gary. There is only one table, one chair and one patio umbrella.   

Gary sat at his favourite spot, sipping coffee and trying to piece any lyrical thoughts in his mind. He stared into spaces, and the clouds seemed to be forming an image. An image of a woman he could not stop thinking about since he met last week. It was only a slight glance, but he had never stopped wondering who the woman was. ..

****Flashback*****

It was supposed to be just a normal weekday, a normal Monday to start with for Gary. Like a regular artist, he was scheduled to promote his upcoming album along with his partner Gil by performing and going onto to different variety program. Just today, he was scheduled to appear on a variety program without his partner hosted by Yoo Jae Suk.

He had heard the name of the famous Yoo Jae Suk and was excited to be working with him for the first time. He had interacted with him at certain events, with the introduction of being Gil’s partner, but this would be the first time he would be working with him personally. Unable to contain his excitement, he had arrived at the location early.

He roamed around the building after getting his makeup done. His stylist had fitted him with his black jacket along with a cap that designed with his name ‘Kang Gary’. It did not make him exceptionally handsome, but that was definitely his usual style. Hearing a familiar voice emitting out from a room, he had decided to walk into that direction. “I should probably greet Jae Suk Hyungnim before the start of the show.” He thought to himself.

“I know you will get that role. I’m just waiting for you to have a successful breakthrough.” Gary saw Jae Suk through half opened door, seemly talking to someone else. He hesitated to move forward until Jae Suk caught him standing outside the door. “Gary-sii.” Jae Suk signalled him to enter the room and he did immediately.

“Then I shall make a move first Jae Suk Oppa.” He heard a female voice as he was entering. The door quickly swung open as he entered and he was surprised by the astounding beauty in front of him. She smiled at him when he could only freeze on the spot. There were many beautiful women within this industry but this was one woman that caught his eye. She was pretty even though she had only light make up on. Her big eyes that sparkled when she smiled made his heart flutter.  His eyes trailed along to the direction to the woman as she was leaving.

“Gary-sii.” Jae Suk called him repeatedly after seeing Gary zoned out.

“I’m sorry Hyungnim.” Gary greeted him after regaining his senses. “Who is she? She looked so pretty. So captivating…” He thought to himself. The two men started chatting and Jae Suk being the veteran, gave Gary some advices on the program later. Throughout the rest of the day, including the time when Jae Suk was talking to him, his mind constantly drifted off to the image of the beautiful woman.

**** End of Flashback *****

“Urgh Kang Hee Gun! You got to get a grip!!” He reprimanded himself. He was supposed to be working yet he was constantly thinking about a person that he had no clue of. He scribbled something down on his notebook then realized he was writing nonsense. He balled the paper and threw it behind. “Ouch!” He heard someone’s voice and was startled. He turned behind and saw the person he wanted to see yet the least expected to see.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t expect anyone coming up the rooftop.” He apologized profusely with embarrassment.

“I’m alright.” She said.  “It was only a piece of paper, no damage done.” When she was about the pick the paper up, Gary clumsily got off the chair and grabbed it.

“It’s just rubbish, there is nothing to see.” He explained while tearing off the paper, preventing her to peek at the content written. Initially, she was confused. Then she giggled, amused by his clumsy action and explanation when she had not asked for one.

“Am I not supposed to be here?” She looked around and realized that they were only two on this rooftop. “The café was a little too crowded and I was trying to find a quiet space. Then I found my way up this rooftop. It seemed a little empty for an overcrowding café.”

“Actually… This rooftop is off limits to customers. But the owner is a good friend of mine, so she allowed me to convert it to my personal space.” Gary paused and thought for a moment. “If you like, you could stay here. This is a very quiet space. Usually nobody will find their way up here. You are the first.”

“It’s alright! This is your private space right? I should not be interrupting.” She answered. “Plus, I don’t see any extra table or chairs around.”

 “You can have it.” Gary told her. “I could leave.”

“No! It wouldn’t be appropriate.” She rejected. “Moreover, this place is off limits to outsiders. I should leave.”

“Why not let me get you an additional chair?” Gary offered. “This rooftop is really something. Though it has nothing here, but it offers a good view, peace and a good spot for you to concentrate on anything you would want to do.” Gary saw the woman smiled. Before she could reject him again, he went down and asked for an extra chair. He then placed the chair by the same table where he was sitting.

“Thank you Kang Gary-sii.” The woman said and he was surprised.

“How did you know my name?” He asked in surprise.

“You are one of the members of Leessang. And I recognized you from the day I met Jae Suk Oppa. You were wearing a snapback with your name on it.” She answered.

“She knows my name and she remembers me.” He thought and giggled to himself. Gary then sat back at his seat while she went to order a cup of coffee. In the next few hours, both of them sat side by side, working on their stuffs. While Gary concentrated on his notebook, trying to pen down any inspiration he had gotten, he constantly stole glances at her who was deeply immersed in reading. The entire time, neither of them spoke, and Gary admired her concentration. She was not affected by her surrounding and occasionally mumbled to herself. There was a moment where Gary almost spilled his coffee, and yet she was not affected by the ruckus Gary made. Looking at her, he had a sudden surge of inspiration. He quickly wrote it down in his notebook.

By the time he was done, he observed at her again. This time, he saw her tearing up and quickly reacted to it. “Are you alright?” He asked with a voice full of concerns.

She looked at him in wonder, and then became aware that she had been crying. She wiped of the liquid at the corner and smiled at him. “I’m just too engrossed in the script that I was reading. The ending was too sad. I imagined myself being the main character, experiencing all the pain she had been going through. It brought tears to my eyes.” She then stuck out a tongue sheepishly and Gary felt that his heart slightly skipped a beat. “I think I’m too immersed.” She giggled.

“She is too cute… and so beautiful.” Gary thought to himself.

Seeing no response from Gary, she initiated conversation again. “What you are writing?” She asked.

He looked down at what he scribbled earlier and then at her. “I had a sudden inspiration after seeing you being so engrossed.” He said.

“Are you writing a song about me?” She figured and chuckled.

Gary flushed with embarrassment. “Not really… I just had something to write after seeing you.”

This time it was her turn to blush. “Can I see it?”    She asked.

 “It’s all in a mess right now.” Gary thought for a moment and answered. “Why don’t you be my first listener after I’m done composing the song?”

“I will be glad.” The two smiled at each other in acknowledgement. She then glanced at her watch. “Oh no, I’m going to be late!” She quickly packed her stuffs in the bag. She looked at Gary and the impending sunset. “It’s seemed that I’m going to miss an incredible view.” She mentioned with a slight hint of regret in her tone.

 “Then drop by another day.” Gary suggested. “Anytime you are free, just come by here.”

“Are you sure? Would I impose any form of trouble to you?”

“Sometimes it’s good to have a companion.” He smiled and she returned his smile.

“I really got to go now.” She told him. “Goodbye Gary-sii. Thank you for having me here, so that I can concentrate on reading the script.” She bowed slightly and proceeded to the door.

Gary looked at her go and came to a realization. “Wait!” He halted her and she turned to look at him. “I have not gotten your name.”

She smiled and answered him. “Ji Hyo. Song Ji Hyo.” She left the rooftop.

Gary went to the ledge and admired the sunset. The sunset did not look exceptionally stunning, but somehow it made his brighten day even brighter. He had gotten to know the woman that he had been thinking about. He even knew her name and she didn't reject when he asked her to hang out again.

“Hopefully, I get to see her again. Maybe on this rooftop.” 

-----------

Feel free to leave me any comments. If the response is good, I might continue the story. :)