Abandoned Memories

Whatever it is, Just Let it Go

 

It was 2 years ago in this very spot when everything went down when he called her lazy, rude, and egotistical; when he boasted about him being so much better than her. He was--well still is a douchebag. Probably got it from his father; the apple clearly does not fall far from the tree. She stood in the same spot she stood in when the event occurred. She laughed at memory of the tall Asian man belittling her as the rest of the students in the quad stared.

 

She went home crying that day. She felt like . Everything her accused her of was incorrect. Well, beside her laziness. It's a fact that Hwang Baekil was lazier than the average adult child, even Julian about that. She was impatient, oh-so lazy, hot-headed and careless; growing up in America didn't help either. She hated how her parents wanted her to act like the typical filial Asian daughter: breakfast, lunch and dinner was to be due on the table on the dot, dishes were to be washed, and floors to be mopped. She was to be wed by the age of 25 and breed with a rich husband. There was no way in hell she was going to be become a wife and baby machine to some chauvinistic male.  

 

The young brunette took a sip from her scalding hot cup of liquid gold as she stared at the golden leaves holding on for dear life to the thin wiry branches. She was going to miss this place. So many memories were still alive wandering the halls of the empty campus.


 

It was a fall day in California, the sun was shining brightly and the crowd of half- ultimate frisbee players traversed the grassy quad.

 

"Damn. I am going to miss this." Julian groaned. He placed his black aviator shades over his large green eyes and laid on the red blanket beside the young woman. His eyes latched onto his target as the woman lifted her small almond eyes from her textbook. Julian was a serial man- and with this being his last year, he wanted to check every guy off his gotta--them-all list.

 

"I feel your pain. I mean who are you going to meaninglessly after you enter the workforce? Old farts in the office?" Baeki said with a solemn voice.

 

"Well, at least I've been with someone before." Julian gave her a pitied look and resumed with his research. He scanned the crowd of boys playing in the field. Joshua Leyva was a serious contender. He had serious and Julian was positive he was packing heat downstairs.

 

"Hey! Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me." She replied and continued her reading.

 

"You need to get laid, Becki. And I know who is perfect for the job." Julian cocked his eyebrow towards the small group of guys headed their way. The boy with the light pink hair place in the middle of the group was dancing erratically whilst his friends laughed at him. He finished his dance with a pirouette and ran into towards the game of ultimate frisbee.

 

"No. Taehyung is a freshman. He's barely even legal. Shame on you for trying to ruin V's innocence." Becki chastised the dark-haired man.

 

Julian scoffed and looked the brown haired girl in the eyes, "Trust me, he is not innocent. Plus, I am positive he has a crush on you."

 

::::

 

As Taehyung departed the group, Namjoon spotted Becki and Julian situated under the Oak tree in the corner of the quad. Namjoon fished his phone out of his hoodie and hit speed dial.

 

"Meet me in the dorm in 5 minutes." his deep voice filled the other side of the phone call.

 

He made up a lame excuse about an econ project meet up and left the group. His eyes darted to Becki to find her in mid-conversation with Taehyung. He shook his head and decided to get Taehyung out of his way.

 

After being denied a position in the frisbee game, Taehyung found Becki with Julian sitting in the grass. Taehyung figured the two were pretty close friends since they were always found together. And what a better way to get closer to Becki than with Julian. He figured Julian would willingly hook them up since he would always bring up Becki's stagnant romantic life whenever he was around.

 

Taehyung cleared his throat and smoothed his grey sweatshirt before heading over as he made his nerve wracking journey towards the two. Julian nodded at the pink haired boy as Becki went on about her professor. Taehyung smiled back to Julian and awkwardly greeted her. He sat on the red blanket and started a round on meaningless small talk with Julian.  

 

"So Becki...are you guys free on Saturday? The guys and I are going to this underground rap battle event." Taehyung asked. He nervously smiled and ran his fingers in his hair.

 

"Actually, I have to--" Becki said.

 

"Actually, we have no plans for Saturday. It sounds fun, I've never been to a rap battle before." Julian ignored Becki's glare, "We'll definitely be there." Julian smiled at Taehyung and then at Becki. Julian knew she was going to come up with some stupid excuse not to come. Julian mentally sighed. When was Becki ever going to let his Taebeki OTP happen?

 

"Great. Can't wait to see you guys there. Some friends and I are gonna battle." Namjoon's deep voice filled Becki's ears. He gave her a big smile and sat beside her. The second Namjoon flashed his dimple, Becki froze and swore she stopped breathing. Curse you Namjoon, he knew that she always fell for that gorgeous smile.

 

Becki cleared and scooted away from Namjoon and closer to V.

 

"Sounds fun. We will definitely be there. Should we get something to eat beforehand, Taehyung?" Namjoon's eyes grew to the size of saucers when he heard what she said. Why did she want to hang out with V when they had "plans" that afternoon

.

"Y-yeah. That'd be perfect." Taehyung smiled brightly," I'll pick you up at five."

 

"Cool. Here's my number, just in case." The young lady pulled out a small slip of paper and scribbled her number. She flashed Taehyung a small smile and turned to Namjoon.

"I'll be rooting for you, Ranch Randa." in return, she flashed him a mischevious smile and left the group without a trace.

 

::::::::

 

She closed her eyes as the chilly breeze swung her fine hair in the air. she only had two more days until her departure to Japan and here she was sitting in the empty quad instead of packing. Whilst consumed in her own thoughts, she felt a body sidle up beside her. She looked up to find Namjoon bundled in a thick red scarf and a black hoodie.

 

"What are you doing here?" he said as his raspy voice struggled to be heard.

"Nothing. Just reminiscing about old times."

 

Namjoon took in a deep breath and sighed. "Happy memories, I presume?"

"Some of them are." she replied.

"The good ones are of me though, right?" He joked trying to stop the conversation from turning too somber. Seconds after his comment, he realized that he was not in the position to mention their past. She stayed quiet and Namjoon knew that she was in deep thought. She always stayed silent whenever she had a lot on her mind. He cleared his throat in hopes to cease the silence.

 

"Maybe." she shrugged. It was a long time since she last thought about Namjoon. Their past was all too dramatic to relive. She was grateful for everything he did--good and bad. Thanks to him, she learned more about herself and the people around her.

 

"Good to know." Namjoon was surprised that she still thought well of him. Things between them ended on a bad note. Too many tears and overwhelming feelings. Sure he still loved her, but she was with Taehyung now. And he was with Sun Won.

 

"Uh, Becki." the young man hesitated, "Just for the record, I never stopped loving you. If I didn't up everything, I'd be in Taehyung's place right now. I know this won't change anything but with you leaving, I just wanted to let you know how much you meant--well still mean to me."

He looked into her brown eyes searching for something a flicker of hope, a sign that she had forgiven him and wanted him back.

Nothing. He sighed, knowing it was impossible to have her again. Namjoon looked away and sighed. It was a little too late to confess his undying love for her.

 

Her soul shook when he looked into her eyes. He looked so lost and afraid. His dark brown eyes seared through her emotional walls; she felt her walls crumbling slowly as he peered into her soul. Everything that happened between them was slowly fading away. She continued looking into his eyes, trying to tell him that she wanted him--that she would leave everything behind just to be with him. He darted his eyes away from her. She took it as a sign that it wasn’t meant to be.

 

"It's fine, Nam Joon. We both ed up. If it was really meant to be we'd be together." Becki gave him a small smile and sat up from the wooden bench. "See you whenever."

 

Nam Joon gave her a small wave accompanied with a sad smile. He watched her walk away from him again. He couldn't take it anymore. He didn't want it to end this way. He stood up and ran to the woman. When he reached Becky, he pulled her into his warm chest. He locked his lips with her pink lips. He linked his fingers in her brown hair. The kiss was soft yet strong, passionate yet painful. Her lips were still soft and warm. Namjoon could feel her resistance dissipate. Her lips betrayed her once again. She continued to kiss his luscious lips, reveling in the wondrous feeling.

 

He breathlessly whispered, "I'd much rather have our last encounter end like this."

 

He looked into her soul and in that moment everything can flooding back. All the years of drama and passion filled the young woman’s eyes. She looked away from his dark brown eyes in order to prevent the tears from surfacing.

 

Namjoon saw the pain in her eyes when she diverted her eyes from his. He mentally scolded himself for kissing her.

 

“Have fun in Japan.” And with those last words he left her stunned.