Final

Stay Here

Please listen to 'Stay Here' by 2PM while reading this story. It is inspired by this song :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovRms7PJ7M


 

A flawless man did not meet a flawless woman.

 

I never thought that I had deserved a guy like him. Everyday of the five years that we were together, I would always ask myself ‘did I win the lottery?’. I’m a commoner, a bartender who serves drinks to sleazy men and desperate women. In any world or fantasy, a person like me would not be allowed to even put a toenail into the close-to-perfect, wealthy and luxurious life of a chaebol heir who is also a Medicine student. In the end, I broke off our relationship, along with his heart because of that fact. We don’t belong together and I knew that I would be the one that is holding him back to achieve his dreams in the future. I do not have the heart to do that, so it was best for me to leave, no matter how much I loved him.

 

But I have the heart to fix his broken heart before disappearing from his sight forever.

 

After breaking up with him, the neat, stable tables in his life turned, flipped and had been destroyed because of me. He would call me in the early hours of the morning, often in a drunken state, pleading for my help and love. He would say: “I know that you have places to go, and you don’t want to see my pitiful face but…can you please come here?” Normally, when one’s ex-boyfriend calls like this, the girl would not bother to pick up, and if she does, she’ll curse him and hang up immediately. Why can’t I be like those girls? We are neither friends nor family, so why on Earth should I pick up? Was it because I pitied him? Felt sympathetic for him? It’s none of those reasons. It is loyalty. I was the one who broke it off. I was the one who pretended to cheat on him. I was the one who broke the mirrors in his perfect life and yet, I haven’t been able to shake off the desire to glue those creaks back together.

 

 

 

 

It is 3am on a Saturday morning. I’m in a deep slumber in my bed after a busy night at work. I should be resting as well as I can since I have a job interview for a receptionist position in a telecommunications company in the morning. I want to be in my best condition because I want this job badly. Being a receptionist earns more income and social respect than a bartender. So, nothing is going to be stuck in my way to pass the interview. That is what I hope. But, my phone is buzzing. At this time of the morning, on a Saturday, it could only be one person. God, I really do not want to pick up this time.

 

The sad thing is, I never not answer his calls.

 

Though this time it isn’t him calling. It is his best friend, Sunggyu. I reluctantly press ‘Answer’.

 

“Gyu oppa.” I said tiredly.

 

“Nayoung-ah, I’m sorry to disturb your sleep again but…” Sunggyu said hesitantly. I do not like where this call is going. It just had to be tonight. This is brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

 

“But, Nam Woohyun is drunk again and he has nowhere to go since his parents does not permit him to enter their house after 1am.” I replied, with my usual annoyed tone. I feel bad for speaking to Sunggyu like this all the time, but he understood where I’m coming from.

 

“Yes, I’m truly sorry for always bothering you like this. You shouldn’t have to do this for him, but the way he is calling for—“ Sunggyu apologised, before a deep voice interrupted him.

 

“Nayoung…. Nana-yah, please…” He pleaded. Nam Woohyun is the king of making people give in to his drunken love calls. And I’m the worst offender to them.

 

“Gyu oppa, just bring him over. Be quick too. I need to sleep because I have an important job interview tomorrow.” I snapped before yawning.

 

“I will be at your place with Hyun in 10 minutes.  I really appreciate this, Nayoung-ah. I could take him, but you know my nuna doesn’t like him staying over so… Anyway, you have a job interview? I’m happy for you, since I know that you’re sick and tired from working at the bar…” Sunggyu said. Sunggyu is one considerate and caring guy. He pays attention to detail. He tries to comfort me too, since he knows how I feel about things. Job stresses and Nam Woohyun included, that is. I treat him as a close friend too.

 

“It’s alright oppa. You know why I still put up with him. Yeah, it’s time for a change anyway. I’ve worked there for nine years too long. I’ll see you soon.” I said sleepily.

 

“See you, Nayoungie.” Sunggyu then ended our call. It’s been a long time since he’s called me Nayoungie. It’s a nice feeling. Nicer than dealing with a vomiting and hallucinating Woohyun.

 

 

 

 

Exactly ten minutes after the call, Sunggyu arrives at the front door of my apartment with Woohyun dozing off on his shoulder.

 

“He’s sleeping isn’t he, Gyu oppa?” I asked as I took a closer glance at the drunken ex-boyfriend of mine.

 

“Yeah, he is. He crashed in my car earlier and hasn’t woken up since. I’ll carry him inside?” Sunggyu laughed. He would always try to cool off my steam with his humourous facial expressions. Though it doesn’t help much.

 

“Yes please.” I said, while leading him and the sleepy Woohyun inside my apartment like it was a procedure that I have followed for the best part of three years.

 

Entering the spare room that Woohyun had always used in the past; Sunggyu places him lightly on the bed. I take out a high-rise pillow that he preferred to sleep on along with a blanket. I then tuck him tightly under the blanket, making sure he is warm on this cold, winter night before walking Sunggyu out of the room.

 

“Thanks again, Nayoungie. This guy is a hot mess. I’m sorry for always bothering you, seriously. It’s just he only calls for you and his parents refuse to take him in when he’s drunk like this…” Sunggyu said with his tender and small eyes gazing at me.

 

“There is no need to thank or apologise to me, Gyu oppa. Sadly, I’m the loyal girl who is always trying to fix everything. It’s not your fault, and I should be the one thanking you for always supporting me.” I acknowledged sincerely. Sunggyu does not need to support or care about me. I’m just his best friend’s ex. So, I’ll always feel grateful towards him. If it weren’t for Woohyun, who knows? I would have even considered dating Gyu oppa back then. How much happier and untroubled would I be?

 

“I feel for you, Nayoungie. I always have. It’s so hard on you. Just remember, that I will always be here to support you. Call me if you need anything. Whether it is tonight, tomorrow or even during Chuseok, I’ll be there.” Sunggyu offered sweetly. I wish that I could rely on Sunggyu like how he put it too. But, my loyal heart will always refuse his kindness. I hate that unselfishness is my best trait, that others use it as their bait.

 

“Thank you, Gyu oppa… Drive safely on your way back home. I’ll be fine, he’s asleep anyway so he probably won’t be vomiting on my carpet like last time.” I thanked before placing my arms around his shoulders for a light, friendly hug, He awkwardly wraps his arms around my waist to return my short embrace.

 

“Bye Nayoungie. I hope you rock that interview tomorrow. I believe in you.” Sunggyu said before leaving my apartment.

 

 

After sending Gyu oppa off, I walk back to Woohyun’s the spare room. Creaking the door open, I see the drunken guy still laying on the bed in deep sleep. What a relief this is, to see him sleeping, meaning that I wouldn’t have to sober him with warm-hearted words that he and hopefully I wouldn’t remember the next morning. I lean closer towards him to softly part is wet bangs so I could feel the temperature of his forehead. As expected, he is burning up. I could not help but to admire his perfectly flawless facial features. From his fine eyebrows, to his long nose, then to his crackling yet slightly plump lips and finally to his defined jawline. After admiring the face that I have touched, observed and kissed for so many years, I take my hand away from his forehead. Then suddenly, Woohyun’s eyes fluttered open as I pull away further in shock.

 

“Ah-oh, are you okay?” I asked frantically.

 

“Nayoung.” Woohyun whispered, very weakly.

 

“Yes?” I let out a quiet response.

 

Woohyun then gingerly sits up on the bed, before drawing his sleepy face ever so closely to mine. He is like this again. He just never stops trying to do this. I shrug him off every time, no matter how weak it makes me feel. And this time, there is no exception.

 

“Woohyun, rest well.” I said, before standing up from my sitting position on the edge of the bed. Just as I turned my back to head outside, Woohyun tugged onto my hand at the last moment. Not again, please Woohyun-ah.

 

“Stay here. Stay here beside me. Please Nayoung. I-I know the truth from 3 years ago, I know all of your insecurities. So, for the last time…won’t you stay here?” Woohyun pleaded, with tears forming from his swollen eyes. He would always ask me this, but this time, it feels different. It is the first time that he is crying like this. He’d never let out his tears, no matter how much I had hurt him in the past.

 

I finally understand now, after three years of trying to let him go, trying to patch up the little broken pieces of his bruised heart. I’ve been avoiding the thought of  leaving him for real. Avoiding the thought that I will never see him again. So, I thought that helping him, sobering him, looking after him from time to time was okay; thinking that he’ll quickly return to being the lively, ambitious and confident Nam Woohyun that I once knew. Thinking that I would never be affected by his actions, his handsome face, his deep voice and drunken words. I am so wrong, awfully wrong. If he kept on asking me to stay beside him like this, how could I not believe that I will give in eventually? Maybe I have been waiting to give in to Nam Woohyun for one final time.

 

I need to accept the fact that perhaps I wasn’t trying to let go of him at all. That truthfully, I was trying to let go of that part of me that refused to accept the whole of Nam Woohyun – his persistence, looks, caring nature, grease and what his future shaped out to be. I need to accept that I wanted to fix up what I destroyed…so I could allow myself to try again…with Woohyun. I want to let him love me wholeheartedly and let myself to return the favour. I don’t know how long we can hang in there for, but I just hope that this time, I can finally let myself to enter his world and stay there; for his sake, and mine. At his last words, courage and determination rips through the fragile walls of my brain and heart as I can finally give him the answer that he has been waiting for the last eight years.

 

“I will.”

 

“D-do you mean it this time? Y-you’re not going to push me away anymore?” Woohyun asks like a dumbfounded boy. He always stutters when he’s unsure of something or is simply so nervous that he could die. I’ve always loved that cuteness in him. And I hope that I could continue to love that trait of his for a long time coming.

 

“I do. I’ll stay here, because I love you Nam Woohyun.” I answered before leaning in for a kiss that we have both been longing for what felt like an eternity of waiting.