Prologue

Love Story

 

She could feel the cold seeping inside her boots as she made her way towards their meeting place. She stopped in her tracks, so sudden that she almost fell face first into the ground. She looked up then, expecting to see the moon and stars dotting the night sky, but all she saw are snowflakes swirling gently in the wind-down, down, until they kiss the ground and blend in with the others.

She breathed heavily, steeling herself for what she was about to do and resumed walking. A few minutes later, she finally arrived, but instead of a person, a huge snowman waited for her. She cocked her head, confused, and brought out her phone to check the message.

“Oh good! You’re finally here!”

Yoon Ji looked up, a gasp escaping her lips when she laid eyes on him.

Lee Jong Hyun was handsome, the whole world knows that, she knows that. But this was different.

His hair was powdered with snow. His cheeks flushed, eyes bright and happy. But it was the smile that really caught her. It wasn’t the “showbiz smile” that she usually makes fun of. It was natural, unguarded, and it gave his whole face a different glow.

“Yah, didn’t you hear me? I said come over here,” he repeated.

The words barely registered and when she didn’t move, he walked towards her and grabbed her hand, dragging her towards the front of the snowman. Even through the thick wool gloves, she can feel the heat of his hand.

“What do you think? I did a pretty good job, right?” he asked, gesturing to his creation.

Yoon Ji turned her attention to it. She noted its missing eyes and mouth and said as much to Jong Hyun.

“Well, i don’t have enough materials here. I just did it to pass the time. And why have you made me wait for so long?” he replied, looking at her.

Yoon Ji looked down at her phone, checking the time. “What do you mean? I came right on time. See,” she held up her phone to show him. “I came right on time,” she said. “Besides, why did you call me here? I thought you were still in Japan?”

Jong Hyun shrugged. “Well, our promotions are done.. So I figured I could just go back earlier.”

“Something’s wrong.” Yoon Ji commented, looking straight at him.

Jong Hyun kept silent and busied himself with the snowman. Yoon Ji waited for a few minutes, never taking her eyes off the man.

The guitarist continued to fumble with the snowman, packing snow here and there as if he’s all alone.

“I’m waiting...” Yoon Ji said.

Jong Hyun sighed and finally looked at her.

“Well?” she asked.

The man just continued to stare at her until finally he started walking towards Yoon Ji.

“Yah, Lee Jong Hyun... wh-what are you doing..? You’re scaring me.” She said, taking a few steps backward.

“STOP!” Yoon Ji said forcefully.

                Jong Hyun stopped.

                “What are you doing?” she asked.

                “You like me, don’t you?” Jong Hyun asked bluntly.

“Wh-what? What are you saying? You’re joking.” Yoon Ji defended, looking at the ground.. She can feel the blood rushing to her cheeks, and she sure that Jong Hyun can see that she’s blushing. She was expecting him to laugh, to make fun of her, but all that met her was silence.

She heard the crunching of the snow underneath his feet as he made his way towards her. She tried to step back once more, but the Jong Hyun’s hand was suddenly on her waist, pulling her close to him.

“Look at me, Yoon Ji,” he said softly. Yoon Ji just shook her head in reply, unable to meet his eyes.

She heard him sigh. Suddenly, one of his hands cupped her face and lift it up gently.

And then, she was looking up at him. Those eyes that previously held that joy and innocence was suddenly alight with passion- burning, all consuming passion. She can see his desire, plainly and she knows that there will be no escape this time.

Jong Hyun’s thumb brushed her lips, “ I love you, Yoon Ji” he whispered trailing soft kisses on her cheeks.

Yoon Ji shivered, from the cold or from his touch, she doesn’t know-and she doesn’t care.

“I love you too, Jong Hyun...” she managed to whisper before his lips found hers.