...It’s The Same as Having Wings

Now Think of The Happiest Things..

~Enjoy~

            It was dinner time, the awful time for the young Sungjong. Or maybe, all the time passed in this house was awful for him. Especially when his brother getting all the praises and him, the judging stares. He should be enjoying the food, but no more after his parents thought it’s the right moment to screw his already bad mood.

            “You’re the best, Gyu. I’m very proud of you. You got the highest score in the pre-test of national exam. There’s no doubt you’ll get it for the real test.” his dad spoke.

            His brother, Sunggyu, smiled shyly, “You’re flattering me, dad. I still need to study more for the real things.”

            “Yeah, keep doing the great job for your old man..” said his dad with a proud smile, along with his mom. Then his parent’s eyes were set on him with different manner.

            Sungjong sighed, well it’s about time…

            “And, how about you, Sungjong? I heard from your teacher that your grades are failing. Is that true?” his mom asked.

            “I’m working on it. Beside, not all my grades are failing, just one or two subjects.” he answered sternly while twirling overly-cooked pasta on his plate.

            “Yah, is that how you talk to your mother? Can you be more like your brother? He never gets his grades falling even for one subject. If you keep this attitude and that failing grades of yours, you wouldn’t be passed the test to your brother’s school! Is that what you want?!”

            “I said I’m still working on it.” The grips on his fork tighten.

            And then, like any other dinners after he snapped, his parent looked at him angrily and his brother with guilt in his eyes. The cycle that never stops. He hates it.

            “I’m sorry, if you excused me..” He stood up hastily, tried to get out from the cold dining room as soon as possible.

            “Yah, Sungjong!”

            But Sungjong already walked out from the dining room, not hearing his dad’s rants.

~^^~

            “Jongie…”

            He knew, his brother never lets him alone.

            “You know mom and dad didn’t mean bad, they care about you and your failing grades are worrying them.” Sunggyu continued after made sure Sungjong was listening.

            Sungjong only glanced at his brother. They will not care if it wasn’t about you…

            “I already said sorry…” he whispered coldly.

            His brother heaved a sigh then patted his head, “Yeah, I know… Now, you must be tired. Go to sleep and don’t keep that frown okay? You will look older than your age.”

            “It’s none of your business…” He said, but complied afterwards, headed towards his bedroom. He was aware of the sad smile on his brother’s face but said nothing about it.

            “Good night, Jongie-ah…”

            He didn’t answer.

~^^~

            Years ago, he and his brother were the best siblings in the neighborhood. With only three years difference, they were close like they’re in the same age. They did everything together, from playing to studying. But then, his brother got best at everything he did and everyone started praising him. And at some point, everyone also expected Sungjong to be as bright as his brother.

            He was, indeed, but never got enough to please his parent. Thus, his parent began comparing. In order to satisfy his parent he took all lessons they shoved to him, until he no longer had time for playing with his friends. He didn’t need them after all, or so he thought. Because all he was thinking about was how to make his parent proudly smiled at him.

            Eventually, all the efforts he made were not enough.

            It was always the same every night. He tried to or cried to sleep with the thought of him as a useless kid that only a shame in his parent’s eyes, hoping that someday someone would tell him he’d done a great job and stop all the insecurities he had. In the morning he would wake up with puffy eyes which go unnoticed as he would be the first one to wake up and walk to school alone.

            But definitely this night was going to be different, when out of sudden his windows were opened with a loud bang. And something (or someone?) threw itself (himself?) into his room, or more like fell onto the hard wood of his floor. Then a head was poking out.

            “Damn! That was one kind of landing!” The boy, after made sure he’s not some kind of prehistoric animal with face resembling a dino, was laughing loudly.

            The boy stood up and dusting his weird green outfits, the one that an elf would wear if they even existed, before looked at him. Sungjong flinched on his bed, glared at the intruder who dared to shock him.

            “Well… hello?” the boy smiled widely and Sungjong noticed how thick the boy’s lips was. The boy also had a dirty blonde wavy hair that stopped just below his ears.

            Sungjong’s glares remained on the boy, demanded some explanation. The boy gazed back funnily probably at Sungjong’s wide eyes. They kept the glaring contest for some times until the boy sneezes loudly. Seriously.

            “W-what.. Wh-who are you? A-and what are you doing here, in my room?” Sungjong stuttered.

            The boy sniffed, “Uhm, my name is Dongwoo, and I’m here because I heard a kid was crying. It’s my job to fix whatever problem a kid has.”

            “A kid?” Sungjong frowned.

            “…” the boy, Dongwoo, blinked at him.

            “… Wait… you mean me? I’m not a kid.”

            “Well in my place, someone below eighteen is still a kid, while someone above it can’t see me… aren’t you fifteen?”

            Sungjong briefly nodded out of reflect. Dongwoo smiled weirdly again.

            “W-wait… your place?”

            “Yes, princess. Haha, I really wanted to call you that from the beginning. You’re too pretty for a boy.” The dino let out his obnoxious laugh again.

            “Stop laughing! It’s annoying!” He threw one of his stuffed animals to the laughing dino.

            “Puhaahahahaha, I’m sorry… have you ever heard of Neverland?” asked Dongwoo while whipping the tears on his eyes due to laughing.

            “Neverland? Are you, somehow, Peter Pan?” Sungjong stared in disbelieve.

            Dongwoo contemplated before answered, “Well, sort of… I’m the Korean version, though.”

            Sungjong’s eyes twitched at his answer. “Seriously? Are you even for real?”

            “Hey, this is the nowadays kids’ problem… they don’t believe in fairytales anymore. How am I supposed to finish my job??” the blonde whined.

            “Well, fairytales are stupid. And what was your job again? Helping kids with problems? Weren’t that psychologist’s job?”

            Suddenly the blonde started crying, startled Sungjong that quickly reached upon the blonde. “H-hey why are you crying??”

            “Huhu, I miss the *snorts* hiks, old days, when kids still had their *sobs* innocence. Nowadays kids are rude and, and doesn’t believe in fairytales…”

            The fifteen-years-old boy was looking at him skeptically. “Well, I won’t believe unless you prove me that you were some kind of magical creature or something…”

            Dongwoo beamed at him like he never cried in the first place, “Then, I’ll show you!”

            Then he jumped out from Sungjong’s hold and floating in the air. Friggin’ floating in the air like no one’s business. Sungjong looked at him agape, he didn’t believe such things really happening in front of his eyes.

            “Well, do you believe me now?” Dongwoo smirked. “I can do some ‘magic’ but sadly I’m banned for doing it outside the Neverland. So this is the only thing I can do to prove you.”

            Sungjong blinked once, twice, thrice, until Dongwoo floated back to the ground and sit close beside him that he had to jerk back a bit.

            “I-i.. Okay, I believe you now. But how will you help me? Do you even know what my problems are?”

            The blonde looked at him dumbly, “Uugh.. No…?”

            Again, Sungjong stared skeptically leaving the blonde gasped in panic.

            “I mean, you can tell me or I should look up at the magic lake in Neverland? Then I’ll get you out from your problems?”

            “You will fly back to Neverland? What will guarantee that you will come back here?”

            Dongwoo scrunched his nose cutely while thinking. “Ah! I can take you there! You’re a kid after all.”

            “Huh? How? What if I didn’t get back on time? I have school tomorrow and it’s late already.”

            “Don’t worry, princess,” Sungjong slapped Dongwoo’s arm at the name, “Teeheee… The time in Neverland runs differently, an hour there means a minute here. And there will be no adult so you can freely play. How is about that?”

            Sungjong didn’t need to think actually, because this was what he may need, a runaway. Maybe Dongwoo was really there to help him.

            “Then, take me there…”

~^^~

            “What? What did you said?” Sungjong managed to ask after struggled with the breeze that passed through them.

            “..Do…look down!”

            Without a second thought, Sungjong looked below him and realized how high they were floating in the sky. He let out unmanly shrieks while grabbing Dongwoo’s hand tightly.

            “I said don’t look down! Now all you need is thinking of happy things!”

            “Like what?”

            “I dunno, things that make you feel happy?”

            His mind now was occupied with images from the past when he and his brother played together or when they were hugging each other.  Hug? When was the last time? Even mom and dad never hug me.

            “Whoaa!” He felt his body went heavy. Surely he was going to fall if not for Dongwoo’s hand wrapped around him.

            “Yah! I told you to think the happy things! Those would make you fly!”

            Sungjong looked a bit disoriented because of the shock only gaped at Dongwoo.

            “Ugh, fine, tell me what makes you happy, princess?”

            “…” Sungjong mumbled

            “I can’t hear you…”

            “I said..a hug..”

            Dongwoo stared at him flabbergasted. Then slowly blush creeped onto his cheeks. “Well if that so…”

            The arms that were wrapped around him tightened. “Are you happy now?”

            Sungjong looked up on the blonde and smiled, his heart felt the warm of Dongwoo. He then nodded. And not long after his body became light again.

~^^~

            They arrived at the so-called Neverland shortly after. They landed at some kind of forest with bunch of kids sitting on trees’ branches. One of the kids saw them and yelled, “Hey, Dongwoo’s here!!” The other kids were jumped down and swarmed over around them.

            “Whoaaa, Dongwoo, is he the new kid?” asked one with thick specs.

            “Ommo, he is so pretty. Oh maybe he is a she after all?” asked girl with ponytail. Sungjong glared at her.

            “Shush, everyone. He’s Sungjong. And he needs our help because I heard him crying before. Are you going to help?” The kids answered yes in unison then waited for Dongwoo’s next command.

            “Okay! We need to get him to the lake so we can see what his problem is, because he never told me.”

            Sungjong held up his hand, “Wait? You will let them see my problem too? No way!”

            “That would be easier if you told me before…”

            “…” Sungjong pouted.

            “It’s okay Jongie~” Sungjong cringe at the specs boy sudden nickname for him, “everyone in Neverland know each other’s problem.”

            That brought him floating to the center of the forest, where the lake was at, with Dongwoo and five other kids. The kid with specs introduced himself as Yeollie was leading the way, whiles the girl from earlier, named Ji Ae, was beside him, humming a beautiful song. The twins, Soryong and Daeryong, were bickering over something, and lastly a quiet girl called Jin was blankly stared at Dongwoo.

            “Now now now, we arrived here!” exclaimed Yeollie.

            They arrived in front of a beautiful lake surrounded by flowers Sungjong only found in his biology books. The water was crystal clear and sparked like diamonds. It didn’t have a mystical feel he imagined before, without any thick mist or ugly creatures guarding.

            “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” asked Dongwoo from behind. A bit startled, he lost his balance and almost toppled over to the lake. Luckily the twins held him just in time.

            “Puhahahahaha, I’m so sorry, princess. You were watching the lake like you’re gonna jump over there.” Dongwoo’s contagious laugh made the others giggled along.

Embarrassed, Sungjong just huffed his long bang, “Hey, tell me how you’re going to help me!”

            “Okay, princess. Here we go! Jin, please?” The blonde turned to the youngest girl that answered with a nod. Jin walked towards Sungjong and without warning pulled a strand of his hair that made him yelped. She dropped his hair into the lake.

            The girl then swayed her hand above the water surface until it showed a picture of a familiar house. It felt like something that happened in sci-fi movies, the lake as the touch screen that organized only with hand movements.

            “Isn’t that my house? And that’s my window!” Sungjong surprised.

            “Okay, this lake will show us your real problems blatantly. This may show you things that you think wasn’t a problem but actually it was. Now, let’s see the reason why you were crying…”

            Subsequently the view changed to when he was having argument with his parent before, the sad look upon his brother’s face, then when his teachers at school scolded him about his grades. Also when he had to take many courses and lessons just like what his brother were good at and how he haven’t had time to accept his friends invitation to play with them. Thus, they always talked bad behind him and suddenly he was alone. Those views made his heart ached; he didn’t need to be reminded of those.

            He silently stood, couldn’t watch any longer. It was always the same every day, like a routine he couldn’t stop. But Dongwoo seemed to notice him. He floated close to him (how could he forgot about the floating?), “So?”

            “…Well?” He looked anywhere but Dongwoo.

            The blonde only smiled. Then he moved a bit to the side, revealing the twins that were behind him. They looked at Sungjong timidly while he tilted his head confusedly.

            “Are you sad because your parent always mad at you?” asked Soryong.

            “But you are very smaaart, and you can play piano too… me and Soryong always get scolded too but that’s because we’re very naughty. They should not be mad at you, you’re not naughty!” said Daeryong.

            “And..and.. if it also because you don’t have friends, we will be your friends!” added Soryong again.

            “B-but… I think they were mad at me because I’m not that smart. Also I’m not that good with piano.” Sungjong stuttered.

            “That’s where you’ve been wrong…” He felt Dongwoo has already stood behind him and the blonde’s hands held him on his place by his shoulders. “From what I saw, you were too abased about yourself. You always think that you are never good enough when actually you have tried your best.”

            “And also,” Dongwoo spun him around so they were face to face; “you don’t have any courage to say what you want.”

            Dongwoo was staring at him with his bright eyes like he can see through him. Dumbfounded, he only blinked back with mouth opened.

            “Yes! That’s what Sungjong need! Courage, or in other word, bravery!” Yeollie jumped between them out of blue. He was holding a kid dictionary that was opened at the page with “BRAVE” printed on it. The other kids surrounded him in a second.

            “Brave? Sungjong is scared of something? Is it the same like when you scared of ghosts, Yeollie?” asked Ji Ae.

            “Is that so? We have to build that scary house again?” added Soryong with a glint on his eyes. He looked upon his twin brother who held the same excitement.

            “Not that kind of brave, you brats! He needs to be more open and share what he thoughts with others, especially his parent.” explained Dongwoo after lightly hitting the twins in the head.

            “Then, what should we do? Can’t you help him with your magic, Dongwoo?” asked Ji Ae again.

            Dongwoo thought for a moment then grinned, “You all know that bravery is not something that comes from magic, it was just burried deep inside someone’s heart, and we just have to lure it out!”

            Everyone was looking at him expectantly, including Sungjong.

            “So, how about we’re going fishing?” he snickered.

            And the kids were looking at Dongwoo in horror.

~^^~

            Different from the forest earlier that held the playful and adventurous feels, the shore emanated dangerous and dark aura. It was like there was a transparent line that separated both places. A bit further, in the middle of the sea, lightning was flashing frequently.

            They saw an enormous ancient black pirate ship. On top of the flag pole, there was a big dark purple flag with a big ‘H’ written on it along with the infamous pirate’s skull and bone logo, wavering magnificently.

            The kids walked timidly behind the two older teens. Sungjong wondered what was about this Dongwoo’s idea (fishing?) that made them so scared. Although he somehow could sense that the owner of this ship must be very scary, but well, he only shrugged.

            Once they arrived to a stair to the ship’s deck that looked about to collapse, he finally noticed someone was standing at the top of the stair. A boy, a handsome and bulky one, was wearing pirate’s attires completed with the wide hat and eye-patch on his left eye. He didn’t look much older than Dongwoo (to think of it, Sungjong didn’t know how old is the blonde), but from the scars on his face and body, he surely had been in the rough sea for so long.

            “Well, well, well, what do we have here?” asked the pirate, his voice held mockery.

            Dongwoo looked up at him and stretched his thick lips into a big grin. “Ahoy, Cap’ Ho!” he yelled while saluting. The pirate sneered in reply. He told them to go up the deck, but the kids were too afraid they couldn’t move. The pirates guffawed at that.

            On the ship were filled with ship crews that were playing or cleaning the ship, but once the guests were up on the deck, the crews stopped what they were doing and stared at them haughtily. The stares made Sungjong and the kids feel eerie, while Dongwoo just smiling at the captain.

            It seems like they were close but Cap’ Ho’s thick eyebrow rose at the blonde in annoyance, “So what brin’ ye here and disturb my evenin’?” Cap’ Ho folded his arm on his chest.

            “Well, the new kid here need help,” the blonde pointed at him made the captain turned to look at him.

            “Oh what a pretty chick here you’ve got… what’s the matter with her?” asked the captain in flirty tone. Sungjong glared at him, why do people keep mistaken me as a girl?!

            But the captain looked back at him with his right eye full of danger, made him shrunk a bit on place.

            Dongwoo moved to his front in protecting manner, “Too bad, he’s a boy. He needs a little help in courage department, think you can help?” he smirked mischievously.

             “Courage, huh? This little man lack of it? Pffft.... no doubt ‘bout that.” Cap’ Ho scratched his chin in such manner. “Usually kid his age is wild, eyes full courage. But look at him, stoic and lanky.”

            “W-what?” gaped Sungjong, a bit offended being called kid since the beginning by someone barely older than him.

            Cap’ Ho walked close to him, examining him. At that, he realized that Dongwoo was no longer covering him and moved a bit to the side with calm face with the kids that only blinked in panic.

            “Aren’t him the type that listens well to their parent like an obedient puppy hmm?” Now the captain was only a few inches in front of him. And, darn, he was more scary up-close. Sungjong gulped.

            “The one that do whatever thee parent tol’ him to but too bad they never listen back. Awww poor him…” with every each word he said he took one step closer that Sungjong had to stagger backward. He was mad at the insults, which felt like stabs to his heart, but he was too scared. It was like when he saw his dad’s angry stare back at home.

            “Tch…” he flinched when the captain pushed him to the rail that was near the sea. He heard waves crashed below him.

            “Sungjong!” shrieked the kids, ready to run at him but Dongwoo held them in place and shushing them with calm face. The kids threw him questioning looks.

            “What?” Cap’ Ho asked for his attention back, “yer little friends won’t help ye, lonely isn’t it? But weren’t ye never had a friend before? Look at those lonely eyes of yours, kid. You were too busy being goody-two-shoes for yer parent, don’t ya?”

            He fidgeted; at this point he would probably fell. The captain was very annoying, insulting him like that yet he was angrier to Dongwoo who just watched them with a smile but wavering eyes, and now he noticed that the crews were laughing and encouraging their captain.

            His eyes met Dongwoo’s, sending signal of desperation but he was too afraid to say something.  After all, no one can really see how hard was I struggling and no one ever listen… His heart tugged at that thought. That was right; no one can help him since the beginning.

            Suddenly his grip on the rail slipped and he felt his body unbalanced. “Whoaaa!”

            “Sungjong!” the kids yelled again.

            The last thing he saw before fell down was the captain that were looking at him with faked surprised face and the kids’ shocked face.

            SPLAAAAASH!

            Luckily the water wasn’t very deep, seconds after he fell down his head already popped out to the water surface. “Fuwaaaah!” he took a deep breath to calm his shock.

            “Sungjong!” the kids were already in the rail to check on his condition. Then they floated towards him (again, why the hell he forgot about the floating???). They tried to help him swim to the shore, where Dongwoo already waited.

            Once he saw Dongwoo, he enraged. The blonde looked back at him funnily made him wanted to tangle the man. In a matter of seconds he was already in the shore.

             “Yah! Why didn’t you help me?!” He shrieked at the blonde and pushed him until they were both sitting on the sand. With his drenched clothes, the sands were sticking to him. He flipped his wet black hair angrily and glare at the blonde, then start punching him everywhere.

             “Hey… hey. How am I supposed to help if you didn’t ask?” Dongwoo put both of his hands up in defense manner.

             “What?” Sungjong’s eyes widen at the blonde.

             “I was waiting for you to talk back to Cap’ Ho or even scream for help. People won’t help if a person didn’t say a word about them being in trouble!” Dongwoo talked back. Sungjong gaped when Dongwoo grabbed his hands and keep them down.

             “H-huh? B-but I was afraid! You had seen me up there, right! He was so scary!”

             “That’s the point! Even if you’re afraid you have to overcome it with courage. I knew you were angry at his word, that’s when you have to be brave enough to talk back, to make him shut up, or brave enough to get some help. Before looking for someone’s help, you should get help from inside of yourself first.” The blonde said while pointing on his chest.

             Sungjong’s tongue tied. Dongwoo’s right, how will people help when he never tell he needed one. He pouted at that. Dongwoo chuckled.

             “Do you get it now? You always think that no one will help you when there are. Just throw that thought away and I’m sure everything will be fine okay? And also if you speak up more to your brother and friends, they’ll understand.” The blonde smiled his signature wide smile until his eyes disappear. The drenched boy’s lips twitched up at that.

             He thought about the words more, his brother and friends at home, that maybe if he spoke up things wouldn’t be so complicated. After all he knew it all along that his brother loves him and wanted to help but it was him that kept pushing him away. That was also what happened to his friends. If he talked nicely to them and explained his condition, they wouldn’t leave him alone.

             “So… are we good now? I’m so sorry you fell down to the sea, I didn’t expect that. Usually Cap’ Ho only pestering until a kid cry, you were the first to be this wet though, puhahahaha.”

             “Yah! That’s sound so wrong!” shrieked Sungjong, his face a bit blushed. He pinched Dongwoo’s upper arm.

             “Puhahahahaha…. Sorry… okay, let’s get you warm, shall we?” Dongwoo laughed again then stood and picked him up.

             He looked around to find the kids were sitting not too far away, watched at them expectantly. Apparently, they were too afraid to get close after Sungjong exploded before. Dongwoo called at them and together, they float back to the deck.

~^^~

            “You both haven’t introduced formally before, so… Sungjong, this is Hoya or Cap’ Ho for short. And Hoy-“

            “Cut the crap, Woo, ‘heard the kid name ‘lready.” Cap’ Ho snarl at him.

            “Puhahahaha, okay… So I think it’s time for us to get back to the forest. Thanks for the help, Cap’!”

            "Ya, ya, ya, just get out will ya? The kids ‘lready scared less, I’ll let them off the hook this time. Don’t come back to bother me too soon or I’ll make them clean ma ship.” Cap’ Ho made a shushing move. Indeed, the kids were looked pale since they went in to the captain’s room. Sungjong heard from Jin (finally the girl talked), who was the only one looked calm, Dongwoo often ask help to Cap’ Ho and as a payback they have to clean this enormous ship. While Dongwoo was okay about it, the kids often got tricked by the crews or getting scolded by the scary Cap’ Ho.

            The kids were already outside when he and Dongwoo just reached for the door. Before they both could open the door, Cap’ Ho suddenly speak, “Well, kid, sorry not sorry for the fall but I hope the water brings luck to you. Parents may be a little bit pushy but what’s really matter to them are their kids happy, so you just have to tell them what you really want.”

            Sungjong turned with flabbergasted look to the captain, but the captain was already showing his back to them. He knew the captain smirked, though. He smiled then saluted to the captain, “Aye Cap’!” Dongwoo guffawed at that.

~^^~

            They floated back to the forest and settled down under one of the biggest trees there. Dongwoo sat next to Sungjong and asked, “So? Are you ready to go back and fix your problem?”

            Sungjong was silent for a while. He already learned his lesson here, but he was still hesitated about how he would apply it to the real world. He was afraid his parent won’t listen to him.

            Suddenly his forehead got flicked, “Yah! Not that face again... you should stop frowning like that. Are you still afraid?”

            “Ouch! That’s hurt.” he nagged, “It’s just that I don’t know how my parent will react. I-I want to talk to them but I don’t know what to talk about.”

            “You can talk about how you actually feel about being compared to your brother?” advised Ji Ae

            “Or you can talk about what you actually want?” added Yeollie.

            “Do you need a practice? Pretend that we are your parent and tell us what you want to tell to them?” Dongwoo offered.

            He stared at them while pursing his lips. “I… don’t know about what I want. At one point I’m actually grateful about the education my parent got me, that also made me feel close to my brother. Although actually I don’t think I can be like my brother who excels in all. My parent wants me to follow his path by going to his school but I don’t think I want that.”

            Everyone blinked at him.

            “Wow… that’s the longest sentences you let out so far.” Dongwoo chuckled.

            Sungjong felt abashed. He also surprised to let out what were kept in his mind since forever. But strangely he felt a bit relieved because he had someone who heard him.

            “Another problem, then? You don’t want to go to that school but you don’t know what to do?” asked Soryong. Sungjong nodded.

            “You can start by finding things that you like! Before you get to know what you want you have to know what you like.” Daeryong suddenly jumped from the ground, startled everyone there.

            “Finding what I like?”

            “Yes! You said you don’t mind about all the lessons but isn’t that too much to learn about it all? So maybe you need to sort those and pick ones you really best at?” Daeryong moved his hand happily at his brilliant idea.

            Things I best at? Things I like? Sungjong frowned again. He never really thought about it.

            “Think about something that make you happy.” whispered Dongwoo. Sungjong snapped out of his reverie at that. He blushed because Dongwoo were already so close to him. He looked away and started thinking.

            He thought about his childhood, his brother were playing piano and he wanted to play too, then they play it together with smile, their parent watched them happily too. He also thought about the time when he won his first piano competition and his family took him to the playland, about things he like; his family, his teddy bear, lemon candies, puppies, piano… the Neverland, the kids, and Dongwoo…

            He looked back at Dongwoo who just waited for him to talk. A smile crept up on his face seeing the grin that never leaves Dongwoo’s thick lips.

            “I want to play piano, but I’m not really good at it…” he said.

            Everybody then cheered, “That’s fine, Jongie! We also want to hear you play!”

            Dongwoo laughed then stood up, “If you want to play, first you need a piano, right” He clapped once and suddenly a grand piano appeared near them.

            With the kids chanted at him, Sungjong sat by the piano and tested it hesitantly. He then turned to them, “What should I play?”

            The kids answered that it was up to him, any song will do. He thought of a happy song he once learned in one of his lesson and started playing. Soon, beautiful melodies created by Sungjong’s touch on the piano keys filled the air.

            Dongwoo and the kids stared at him in awe. It seems that the other kids in the forest heard him too and joined them to watch the mini concert. Not long after, everyone started dancing; some on the ground while some were floating in the air followed the rhythm.

            He smiled at the happy atmosphere. He finally remembered how it felt to play for people and made them happy. Part of his mind couldn’t wait to go home and show what he had learned to his family and maybe, play the piano with his brother like they used to.

            Sungjong felt a movement near him and then looked up to see Dongwoo sat beside him while grinning. He smiled back and kept playing.

            “It feels good, isn’t it? You’re talented in it. I think you should pursue it more.”

            Sungjong nodded, “I think so, too.”

            Dongwoo closed his eyes and started humming to the song he played. Everything looked so peaceful even when the kids were still laughing and dancing around them. He felt grateful that the blonde came to his room that night. Now he thought he can solve his problem back at home.

            “Thanks for helping me,” he suddenly spoke made the blonde turned to him. Their eyes met and he continued, “If it wasn’t because of you, I may still be crying in my room and then wake up to feel alone again. This is so far is the best night of my life. I’m very grateful to you…”

            Dongwoo grinned, “You’re welcome, princess. It was my job to help lost kids like you, like them here, and I’m so happy about that.”

            Sungjong giggled at that then turned his attention back to the piano. The party continued as the melodies echoed.

~^^~

            “Do you need to be hugged again?” asked Dongwoo jokingly.

            It was time for him to go home. He played enough with the other kids and he felt a bit tired. But he was happy nonetheless. He wished to play with them again other times. Now, he missed his home and wanted to go back as soon as possible, afraid that his family found him missing.

            He didn’t answer Dongwoo, instead he floated first to the open sky.

            “Oho, already mastering how to float I see. What did you think about?” Dongwoo followed him up.

            Sungjong only winked, “Things that make me happy!”

            After said goodbye to the kids, they started to float back to Sungjong’s house. While on the way, they were playing along with each other with the moon and the stars as the spectators. Soon after, they were already nearing the house.

            Dongwoo made sure Sungjong were safely stood on his bedroom’s floor while he crouched on the window. Sungjong glanced at his clock; it stated that he just went for 15 minutes. They both let out a satisfied sigh and looked at each other. “So…” they both started. That made them giggled.

            The blonde gave a sign for him to talk first.

            “Thanks again, this has been a great night for me…” he paused for a while, “… I guess this is goodbye?” There’s a hint of sadness in his tone.

            The blonde chuckled at that, “It may be a goodbye, but only for tonight.”

            Sungjong glanced at him with hope in his eyes, “You mean…”

            “I’ll comeback, if you want to, and we can fly back to the Neverland. But only at night, of course. Just wait for me for the next night, then the next next night, and I’ll come for you.”

            “Promise?” Sungjong smiled brightly at Dongwoo. His heart fluttered and he so couldn’t wait to get back to Neverland.

            “Only if you promised you will talk to your family and friends tomorrow. Agree?”

            “Yes!” He jumped to hug the blonde tightly which got pats on his head as return. “Good…” said Dongwoo.

            Sungjong backed away in no time with a big smile plastered on his face. The blonde copied. But suddenly he pulled Sungjong again and kissed his cheek. He laughed at the cute shocked face Sungjong’s face made.

            “It’s time for princess to sleep, so, good night. And see you tomorrow~” After that, Dongwoo floated away, leaving the blushed Sungjong fell unceremoniously on his floor. But he smiled at Dongwoo’s retreating figure.

            There’s a knock on his door when he was already gathered himself. “Come in…” he said.

            His door opened and his brother’s head poked in, “Jongie? You’re not sleeping yet?”

            “Eung?” he nodded.

            “I’m sorry, I must be disturbing you, but I heard something so I checked on you. Are you okay?” Sungjong can see his brother’s eyes were filled with concern. He smiled at that.

            “It’s okay, hyung. It was just that my window suddenly opened and I’m about to close it back.”

            His brother gasped and opened the door widely, “What? There’s no weird creature coming in right? Should I check it?”

            He shook his head and smiled, “No, hyung, there’s nothing.”

            His brother, Sunggyu, breathed in relief. “Okay, I’ll be at my room then.” Sunggyu reached for the door knob and let a smile.

            Sungjong see sadness in his smile and thought for a while. Maybe this is the time…

            Before the older could walked out from the room, Sungjong called his brother, “Sunggyu-hyung…”

            Sunggyu halted his step, shocked that his little brother was calling his name. It has been a while since he heard it. The look on his face made Sungjong chuckled.

            “Can I ask you something?”

            The older smiled widely, “Of course!” he was so happy to see his Sungjong showing good mood.

            “Oh, before that, let’s have a sleepover in my room! Would you mind to accompany me sleep tonight?”

            The brothers were now settled on Sungjong’s bed, shared chuckles together. Sungjong thought this may be a good start; he missed spending time with his brother after all. Tomorrow, bigger things were already waiting for him. He would talk to his parent about how he felt like he promised to Dongwoo and he needed his brother’s support. And whatever result that would turn out, at least he had tried.

            With the new found bravery he has got, he really couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come.

~End~

 

A/N: I hope this is satisfying enough ^^ I picked the title from Peter Pan (1953) from Disney.