It is better left unsaid.

On the line

 

{On the line}

 

 

Luna turns the phone over in her hands for the umpteenth time, every now and then her thumbs hovering over the touch screen and having an internal battle against herself whether to call Onew or not.

 

She knows it is her fault. She was wrong. She had promised him to meet over the weekend for lunch but she didn’t turn up because of an unexpected call from work. She had forgotten to tell him to not wait anymore and so, of course, he had wasted his precious six hours for a Luna who never turned up. Yes, she was wrong. It is indeed her fault.

 

But having little pride left in her, she doesn’t want to admit as such. Shouldn’t he have noticed it when she didn’t turn up during the first hour? Sure, she is forever a late-comer but he should’ve known it when she didn’t show herself in their favourite restaurant after two hours at least. Who waits for six hours anyway?

 

Diving on her bed, Luna wraps herself with her comforter although it isn’t cold. Rolling like a sushi on her mattress, she holds the phone still and the mental battle resumes.

 

I should say sorry.

 

No. He shouldn’t have waited that long.

 

I made him wait still.

 

He didn’t need to.

 

I promised him.

 

But I didn’t show up.

 

I should really say sorry.

 

Finally deciding to call Onew, she dials a string of numbers she knows by heart from end to end, and Luna composes a short script inside her head to tell him for as soon as he picks up the call. She settles on saying “Sorry” immediately instead of the usual “Hello, it’s me.” Yes, get straight to the point.

 

Her finger presses down on the Call button just as it is replaced by Answer—

 

Luna’s phone drops on her face and into the depths of the comforter in her panic. She struggles and tried hard to wiggle out of her bundle to better use her hands and retrieve the phone.

 

“Luna . . . Luna? Are you there? Luna?”

 

Oh, shoot.

 

“Yes! Yes! Onew!” she blurts out. “I am really, really so—“

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Luna blinks. And blinks some more.

 

Has she finished saying her sorry yet?

 

“Hey.”

 

Luna almost drops the phone again. “Oh—yeah? I . . .”

 

She can hear Onew chuckling on the line.

 

“You don’t have to say sorry anymore,” he tells her. “I can sense that you wanted to. But after thinking for hours, I realized I didn’t need to hear any of it. At all,” he adds the last phrase a little later as if to emphasize his point.

 

“O-onew . . .”

 

“I shouldn’t have waited for that long. I should have realized. I was wrong too, looking for some stupid reason to be angry when I don’t have to. It is also my fault,” he continues, and a little voice inside Luna can’t help but agree to the statement.

 

“But I should have called at least, right? Then you didn’t have to skip lunch just to wait for me,” Luna mumbles, the louder voice in her egging her to apologize. “I’m sorry.”

 

“I told you, it’s okay,” Onew sets aside her apologies. “At least now we know that we should do the things we think we must do to avoid situations like this again.”

 

Luna smiles and nods because how is she supposed to respond at all to such kind and positive words thrown at her even after she messed up? Realizing that Onew can’t see him, she just says a tiny “Yeah . . .”

 

A moment of silence passes by where none of them speaks and yet none of them hangs up. Just that quietness where, maybe they are trying to sense each other’s presence from both ends of the line and maybe sizing up if the other might want to say something. Or maybe, even with the stillness, they are comfortable that way, finding inner peace with the thought that the other is just there, holding his phone and listening to her slow breathing and perhaps her quiet heartbeat, albeit not seeing one another physically.

 

“Luna,” Onew breaks the dead air. “Wanna grab some dinner?”

 

“Eh? Right now?” It was almost nine in the evening.

 

“Yeah. Just come out of the house,” Onew says. “I’m right here by the gate.”

 

Luna literally flies to the window. Sure enough, Onew waves at her from the road just outside the gate.

 

“You can’t escape this time,” Onew smiles and it was as if extra street lights were lit from where he stands. It was the sort of smile that is so bright, it tugs a smile on Luna’s lips as well.

 

And so she smiles. And she runs to him, holding back the comment her alter ego is whispering at her, that it wasn’t her intention to escape the lunch in the first place because she is ready to grab every opportunity just to be with that walking ball of sunshine and awkwardness that is her Onew.

 


 

Author’s Note:

 

Because Demi x Jonas Brothers gave me sudden feels while listening to their song collab for Don’t Forget album . . . but instead of writing a MitShane-ish fic, I wrote Lunew. :D

Oh my Lunew . . .

I miss Lunew . . .

One of my original OTPs along with Romione and Hinny, I still love you MitShane/ Joe x Demi~ ^^

‘Coz we rock! Camp rock! \m/

 

TheDarkLordInHiding now signing off~! :3

PS~ Talk to me in ask.fm/jysong0228? ;)