Unexpected Dinner

Free Falling

Daphine stretched her arms interlocking her fingers to deepen her yawn. Geez. She and Julia have been studying for 3 hours straight. “Hey! I’m hungry”, Julia’s smiling eyes appeared behind the supersized text book. She closed the book quickly in boredom. “What’s on the menu?” Daphine replied in a drained tone. Julia reached her hand into her purse and pulled out a folded paper, “This! Doesn’t it look yummy?” As she unfolded it, Daphine stared confusingly at Julia. Korean food? There’s something new she never tried. Although she’s been living in Philly for 4 months, Daphine never fully explored the foreign restaurants except sushi hot spots.  “Look, Fee, it is right up the street. We can eat real quickly and return to studying to death”, Julie seemed anxious and made a decent point.  Alright. Why not?  “Okay, Jules, you convinced me. Let’s go”.

The restaurant generated an impression of “run down”.  The girls glanced at each other laughing inwardly. “I feel like we arrived at chicken shack”, Daphine skimmed the surroundings. Julia nudged her shoulder playfully in response. Inside was different story. The smells of spices and authentic cuisine fused deliciously. Their mouths watered with every inhale. “Jules this was an awesome idea!” From a corner speaker music was playing at a medium sound, “Stop girl in the name of love”.  A waitress approached the girls kindly. She was an elder lady but her facial features were stunning. “Annyeonghaseyo. Welcome to Kim’s Kitchen. How can I help you ladies”? Her eyes and smile brightened with warmth.

Breaking the silence Julia spoke first, “I received this flyer and we decided to check this place out”. The lady nodded in approval and walked the girls to the table. “Since this is a Korean place, unfortunately my menu is only in romanization Korean. But if you need assistance please ask my son Eli, your waiter for today. Enjoy ladies!”

Daphine and Julia laughed in excitement. As they waited, the music kept alluring Daphine’s attention. Inaudibly she started lip-syncing the chorus, her head swayed to beat of song, “Stop girl in the name of love”. The environment in this place was tantalizing. It felt magical, mysterious and peaceful. The language spoken throughout the restaurant provoked her inquisitive mind. Intensively gazing at the menu, Daphine attempted to pronounce a dish. “Ja….ja”, before she could finish a voice behind her completed the word. “Jajangmyun, is a favorite”, his piercing brown eyes highlighted his sentence.

“Good evening, I’m Eli and I’ll be your waiter for tonight”. He flipped opened the order book. Daphine felt this strange recognition as she eyed him. Wow. He totally looks familiar. She rapidly scanned her memory for any trace of his face. Think. “Okay, who do I know with an eyebrow piercing?” No one came to mind. It was severely frustrating her. She couldn’t remember but a strong sense of knowing him was overwhelming her.  Whatever.  It’ll come to her later.

“Jajangmyun…. Is it delicious?” Daphine’s curiosity interjected her scrambling thoughts. As Eli explained the Korean dish, the girl’s began to inconspicuously drool. Daphine lightly her lips and rubbed her hands together, Julia’s mouth opened in anticipation. Eli smirked at their reactions. Daphine snapped out of food unconsciousness, “Oops. My mind wondered into Korean cuisine abyss”. She bit her lip in embarrassment.

“It’s all good….” Eli reaffirmed the compliment. His eyebrow piecing moved to the motion of an eye raise.

Eli was transfixed by the girls’ enthusiasm; he never experienced “newbies” before. However, he felt this resilient attraction towards the cute chick drooling. She had this entertaining sense about her. Somewhere in his brain he detected an acquaintance. He definitely remembers that weirdness. Ha. “She’s totally my style”, Eli deliberated the thought.  He moved closer to her side of table, “I know I know her…. But how?” Without much notice he occasionally gazed at her while waiting for her decision. Eli tried to find anything that would enlighten his memory.  Nothing.

Daphine giggled while listening to Julia butcher dish names. “Ugh! I give up”, Julia motioned Daphine to make the decisions. Daphine looked at Julia then Eli. She giggled more from shyness but her voice softened as she ordered the jajangmyun, kimchi and squash soup.  

From a distance Eli watched them enjoy their food with expressive satisfaction. He appreciated the reactions. His smile amplified with every bite Daphine took, she lit up in fulfillment and happiness. “Food and women are a perfect combination”, Eli inaudibly said aloud. “Huh bro? You said something?” Kevin asked slightly confused. “Amugeosdo. Just thinking out loud bro”, Eli momentarily forgot his surroundings. “But look at that”, Eli pointed to Daphine’s table, “Those girls are exceptionally relishing our food”.  Kevin nodded in approval, “Alrightt. I’m feeling that”.

“Omgosh! Fee!! The time!” Julia checked her watch. “Aww. Jules. Not now…. I’m enjoying this yummy food”, Daphine shoved a chop stick full of noodles in .

“Seriously Fee, we gotta go. We have an exam to study for and you also work tonight”, Julia emphasized her sentence. Daphine reluctantly gave in but not without another mouth full.

The girls headed towards the register, full and content. Daphine opened her wallet but Eli stopped her, “The food is on me”. Her eyes widened in disbelief, “Really? Thanks Eli!” Delight leaked out. “Okay…. As a fair exchange this is a free pass to the gym I work at. It is open 24 hours, definitely stop by”, she smiled lightly. “Umm. Thanks for dinner!”

The girls waved and the restaurant doors closed.