Admit Defeat

BTS One-Shot Collection

For what seemed to be the millionth time, Taehyung inwardly sighed and pressed the backspace button on his laptop's keyboard. "Who even decided that history should be a subject? It's all in the past. You can't change the past, so why should we have to write essays on the things we are unable to change?" Mumbling to himself in the dim lit room, he ran his fingers through his disheveled hair in frustration. No matter what he wrote, none of it sounded right. He had spent three hours in total that day trying to write up his 1,500 word essay on the slave trade, which wasn't that much to ask of him compared to other assignments. Today seemed to be an exception though. He spent the first hour with nothing but a title at the top of the word document. No matter how hard he tried to put the information down, his mind just froze.

"Having fun there?" His roommate peeked into the room; a mischievious grin on his face.

"Shut up, Jungkook. I'm trying to write an essay here."

"Oh, I know. I could hear you talking to yourself in the room next door." Jungkook retorted, amused.

"Just go get me a bottle of water or something," the elder ordered.

Crossing his arms, Jungkook raised an eyebrow at Taehyung. "Pfft, since when was I your slave?"

Hearing that just pushed Taehyung's buttons even more; as if it was to deliberately remind him of the essay which has been driving him insane since he was given the assignment. Well, that's because Jungkook did in fact ask him that question deliberately. The elder shot a glare at his dongsaeng, ignoring the question. "Just go get me some water before I throw this laptop at your face."

Holding his hands up in defeat, Jungkook was aware that his hyung was certainly not in the mood to be joking around. "Alright, alright! I was just messing around. No need to get agitated." Closing the door behind him, Jungkook sauntered off to the small kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge before returning to where Taehyung was so that he could give him it. "Your water, Master." Once again, Jungkook had pushed his luck as Taehyung let a low growl escape his throat. The younger sat the bottle beside Taehyung before heading back to the door. As he was leaving, he mumbled. "I'm surprised that Hyesun has managed to put up with you for this long if this is how you treat her."

Taehyung raised his voice, straining his eyes in the dark, "I heard that!"

"Good! You were supposed to! I don't see why you can't just ask her for help with this."

He scowled, "I have my reasons..."

Taehyung had been dating Hyesun for six months, after he finally found the courage to tell her his feelings. Took him long enough. They had only known each other since they were seven years old. She was extremely intelligent -history being her speciality- whereas he was better with numbers. He could handle difficult equations with ease, yet as soon as he had to write up an assignment in literature or history, his brain went blank. Jungkook had a point though. Hyesun would probably be more than happy to help Taehyung out with whatever he needed; the thing holding him back though was his pride. How stupid he would feel asking his girlfriend for help. It was the only secret he kept from her. Never in a million years would he have considered turning to her for something she found so simple; yet he found so complex.

The glowing screen gave him a headache, and so he decided to take a break from the little work that he had done. The deadline was in a week, but knowing him, he would need to make the most of the little time he had to complete the essay. Unscrewing the bottle of water, Taehyung gulped down the clear liquid til there was none left. He let out a small sigh of satisfaction, but that was short lived as he stared absentmindedly at the screen once again. He groaned, his head lolling backwards to stare at the ceiling. "Why am I like this? Why am I so stupid?"


Meanwhile, Jungkook was sitting on the couch watching late night TV shows when he heard his hyung talking to himself again. It was driving him insane. He indeed was stupid. Stupid to let pride interfere with his grades. 'I've had enough of this.' Pulling out his phone, Jungkook dialed Hyesun's number and tapped his foot as he waited for her to answer.

"Hello, Jungkook?" She sounded slightly puzzled.

"Hey, yeah it's me. Can you come over here from your dorm?"

Bewilderment could be heard through her voice, "n-now? Why? Is everything ok?"

"Well, I'm pretty sure if you don't come here soon Taehyung is going to throw a fit, and I'm pretty sure I'll be his first target."

Hearing Taehyung's name, Hyesun began to fumble with her shoelaces, her phone wedged between her left ear and her shoulder. "I'm on my way. What is it he needs?"

"Help with his history assignment" Jungkook lowered his voice. "He at essay writing."

A smile tugged on Hyesun's lips, finally finding out what it was that he had been hiding from her. "Don't worry, I'll be over in a couple of minutes."

"The door is open. No need to knock when you arrive."

They both hung up and Hyesun began shoving her notebooks into a bag. Luckily, the students all lived in the same building, but in female dorms and male dorms which were split up into different sections of the building. She ran across the long corridor until she came across the sign saying "Section B" which was the block that the boys lived in. Hyesun came across an elevator and upon entry, pressed the button for the eighth floor.


Taehyung was rolling along the floor; laptop closed while complaining about his life when he heard a knock on his bedroom door. "Jungkook, since when have you-"

The door opened wider, and he was cut off when he seen who was there. The sudden realisation that he was flailing around on the floor in front of his girlfriend made him stop in his tracks as he stood up quickly; dusting himself off and coughing awkwardly. "U-uh, Hyesun! What are you doing here!? It's 11pm..."

"Nice to see you too," she said sarcastically before chuckling. Seeing him so flustered made her smile to herself.

"T-that's not what I meant! I mean...uhm..."

"Taehyung, it's alright. I know about your history assignment and I'm here to help you out."

Taehyung gulped, "h-how did you-"

Hyesun cut him of by pecking his burning cheek.

"Calm down, it's absolutely fine if you find a subject challenging. I'm kinda sad actually that you didn't tell me before otherwise I would have been able to help." She paused a little before continuing. "So, how about we get started on this essay of yours?"

Bowing his head shamefully, Taehyung nodded in agreement. "I'm sorry, Hyesun." He sneaked up behind her as she took her notes out of her bag at the desk; resting his chin on her shoulder. She hummed softly to acknowledge his comment, showing her forgiveness as she gently rubbed his arm.

Returning to the matter at hand, Hyesun sighed lightly before asking, "now, what have you got so far?"

Snapping out of his daze, Taehyung broke away from Hyesun and opened the word document which he had closed; then pulled over an extra chair to the desk for him to sit on as she was offered the chair already there.

Showing only one short paragraph, he heaved a sigh. Whereas Hyesun let out a quiet laugh.

"See? This is why I didn't want to ask for your help."

Hyesun shook her head with a smile. "It's not that, I'm just not used to seeing you act like this."

He poked her nose and stuck his tongue out playfully, "why you..."

She grinned widely, "cute."

Cheeks flushing red, Taehyung tried to change the subject in order to divert Hyesun's attention from his face. He coughed, "let's get to work on this essay then."

And with that, Hyesun nodded and began her little tutoring session as they wrote up the assignment together.


It was 12:30am and the couple had finally made a decent amount of progress. Hyesun stretched her arms out and yawned silently as she shut down the laptop; her eyes slowly closing. It was fair to say they were both exhausted. "Thanks so much for your help, Hyesunnie. Let's do more work on this tomorrow." Taehyung rubbed his eyes.

"My plea...sure..." Hyesun's head fell forward as her energy was wearing thin. Before she fell asleep, she shook her head quickly in order to wake herself up. "I really should get going-"

"Stay. Please. It's too late to be going home yourself."

"W-what are you talking about? We are in the same building."

"Hmmm,  still too dangerous in my opinion." He nodded innocently. "You are exhausted, so you should sleep now." Taehyung said, placing her head on his shoulder."

Too tired to argue -not like she really wanted to anyway- Hyesun's eyes slowly closed again; falling asleep peacefully with her arms wrapped around Taehyung.

He smiled at her sleeping face as he pushed her hair behind her ears before carrying her to his bed to make her more comfortable.

Laying down, he covered them in his duvet and turned off the bedside lamp beside his bed.

"Sweet dreams, Hyesun."