One-shot

The Penguin's Curse

 

Long ago, when the earth was young, the gods of heavens sent twelve brothers to earth to bring new creations upon the new land. When the twelve brothers first appeared on earth, they saw nothing but one great piece of land surrounded by water and darkness. The first brother, Baekhyun, the god of light, brought the gift of the sun to the dark place, and because there was a total of twelve brothers, Baekhyun made twelve hours day and twelve hours night. The next brother who made a creation was Chen, the god of lighting. This god wanted something as fast as his lighting which leads him to create the cheetah and wolf. After that, each and every brother continued to contribute their ideas into the new world; all accept one. The god of music, Yixing, did not know what to contribute.

 

One day, while Yixing was walking around and admiring his brothers’ works, he noticed there was no form of music on the earth. Then he turned his head towards the sky and saw there was nothing but clouds occupying the empty space. In his head, he tried to imagine something that could occupy the space in the sky; as well as, create some beautiful music on the land. Soon he scooped up a piece of clay and started to slowly mold a creature. First, he built a base and attached some twigs as the legs. Then he molded a head with a sharp, hard mouth. Lastly, he tried to think of a method to make the creature fly. The god sculpted a pair of wings as he had seen his sister, Taeyeon, the goddess of the sky, had on the back. After that, he put the finishing touches on the clay figure by painting it blue as the sky, he used his powers to bring it to life. When the creature took its first breath, it fluttered its wings and flew to a nearby branch. There in the branch, the god of music heard the most beautiful sound coming from its throat. The god Yixing was happy and began to make more of the animal he called birds.

 

Everyday, Yixing made a different kind of bird. He tried to remember to always put on bad thing to even out the good within the creature. Such as the first bird he made, to which he named Blue Jay; he gave the creature an extremely beautiful voice but also made the bird to fly at a slow rate, almost as slow as a turtle. The next bird he made was something called a Flamingo for its bright, flaming pink color. To contrast this unique color, Yixing gave it legs too long and a beak too large. For the next few months, he continued in this manner until he ran out of ideas. His last creation was very strange looking. It was extremely short, the color of black and white, and was just plain ugly. The god decided the bird was flawed enough and tried to think of an advantage for the bird. It took him a while but he decided to make it the fastest bird on the land, naming it the penguin for its fast ability. When the creature came to life, it looked at its creator for a moment, opened its mouth and made a disgusting noise. The god looked at the creature in horror as he remembered he had forgotten to give the bird the ability to produce music. But before he could change its vocals, the bird ran away. Yixing wasn't able to catch it in time since it was the fastest animal he made. So, he just up, and returned home to his brothers thinking there was no harm to the loose penguin.

 

The penguin, who escaped, caused more trouble than it should. It figured out it was not just the fastest bird on the land but the fastest animal on the land after racing with the cheetah. Knowing this piece of information, the penguin bullied all the other animals. Kyungsoo, the god of nature, who spent a lot of time on earth, witnessed the penguin’s mischievous manner many time. There was an instance where the penguin was terrorizing innocent lambs, who were just peacefully eating grass, and when the nature god tried to stop the black and white creature, it flew away at a frightening speed. The nature god had enough of this troublesome creature. He returned home to the heavens, seek out the creator of the horrible beast and demand the creator to get rid of the threat. Yixing, who knew there was no way of catching the animal for he had tried, went to his younger brother, a god of trickery and creator of the monkey, Chanyeol, for help. All Chanyeol asked him was if the creature was male or female. Since it was male, and to make a female version of the creature that could not fly. When Yixing finished what was requested, the god of trickery took the female penguin and went to work.

 

On earth, Chanyeol knew the bird would not be caught by force but by tricks.  He used many vines and laced them into complicated patterns. Then he laid the vines down, concealed it with leaves and placed the female penguin on the trap. After the trap had been placed, the god hid behind some bushes and waited for his target to arrive. In no time at all, the penguin Chanyeol’s older brother made appeared. It was intrigued by the animal that looks just like itself but at the same time different. Closer and closer the male penguin went towards the other penguin until the god pulled the trap! It all happened in an instant and the creature was confused and tried to fly away but couldn’t for the vines Chanyeol looped with many patterns.

 

After the mission was complete, the god of trickery went back to the heavens where he showed his catch to his brothers. They were amazed but they also did not know what to do with the creature. Kyungsoo, who had suffered the most, wanted to eliminate the animal completely, while Yixing, who created the animal, felt sympathy and did not want to kill it. After a long debate among the brothers, they have decided the penguin would live but will be stripped of its flying abilities and isolated from the other animals. 

 

On the day of the penguin’s exile, the gods have gathered on the shore to see thecreature go. Yixing, who was carrying the penguin, set the animal on a small raft and looked it square in the eye. It pained him to let go of his creation but he had to do as his brothers commanded. So, he placed a hand on the penguin’s head, removed its powers and pushed the raft off shore. Yixing watched as the raft floated away to the coldest part on the earth. After the raft was about one hundred feet, he heard a horrible squawk and realized he had forgotten to give the bird the power to produce music.


 I hope you liked it! It was almost four pages on the word document!  Anyways, how was it?  Good? Bad? So-so? I would love you hear from you. Just comment below (no worries, I don't bite ^^). 

I was thinking should there be another myth?  Maybe about one of the other gods.