Pregnancy

Drabbles: Married Life

"Ughhhhhh."

"You alright there?"

"I don't think I have anything left in my stomach to throw up." You threw your phone onto the bedside table and flopped onto the bed lying face down. You heard him shuffling over and sitting down next to you on the bed. He ruffled your hair and started rubbing your back, trying to make you feel better. 

"I'm sorry I can't do much baby. Maybe you should go see a doctor. This is the 3rd time you have thrown up this week."

You groaned and turned around to face him. "I know, but aside from the vomiting I don't feel unwell at all." 

Noticing how messy your hair was, he chuckled and laid down next to you, leaning on one arm and draping the other over your stomach. You shifted closer to him. His smell was comforting, it made you feel less nauseated. The both of you stay like that for some time, him not making a sound but occasionally playing with your hair and tracing the features on your face with his fingers. Having him next to you made you feel so warm and secure. 

You were about to drift off to sleep when suddenly he stopped moving and dropped a lock of your hair onto your face. 

"Hey." He nudged you gently. You tried to ignore him. 

"Hey." He nudged you harder this time. Feeling annoyed, you blew the hair out of your face and squeezed your eyes shut, hoping he would leave you alone. 

"Hey hey hey." He shook you even harder, and this time you opened your eyes and snapped at him. 

"What is it?!" You looked at him as he propped himself up and stared at you. 

"When was the last time you had your period?"

"What? Why would you ask-" You stopped mid-sentence as realization dawned on you. You gripped onto his shirt as you asked him, "Where is my phone?"

He reached behind him for your phone on the bedside table and handed it to you. You checked the calendar and started counting the days. 

"So?"

"Well this sometimes happens when I'm stressed..."

"WHAT happens?"

You looked at him and opened and closed your mouth, not knowing how to phrase it. Seeing that he wasn't going to get a response out of you, he grabbed your phone and looked at your calendar. As he scrolled through it his eyes widened. 

"It has been 3 months?!"

"That doesn't mean anything!"

"That doesn't mean anything?!"

"My period is never regular anyway! Sometimes I miss it when I'm stressed!"

"What was the longest you've missed it for?"

"...2 months."

"Well has it ever been 3?"

"Never..."

"Oh my god."

"Oh my god."

"Oh my god."

"Oh for god's sake stop saying that! You are not helping! Oh my GOD!"

He turned to look at you and finally saw that you were freaking out for real and tears were forming in your eyes. Shocked by your sudden emotional breakdown, he called your name gently and pulled you into a tight embrace, your hair. 

"Yah, I am really happy."

You stopped breathing for a second and looked up at him. "What?"

"I said I'm really happy. Why are you crying?" He wiped the stray tears that fell even though you tried so hard to keep them in. "We will go through this together. You don't have to worry!"

At his words you broke down, the tears you tried so hard to hold back now falling freely. You were scared and happy at the same time, and a million thoughts filled your head. The only words you managed to mumble out were, "I don't think I'm ready."

Patting your head soothingly, he smiled and said, "I don't think I'm ready either. But we never will be. We could spend our whole lives getting ready. But what matters is that this is happening now and we are together in this. You, me, and our child."

Our child. He said our child. 

"Plus I could really see the perks of this."

"Hmm?" You looked up at him in curiosity. 

"I won't have to deal with your crazy mood swings for at least half a year."

"Yah!" You kicked him and he feigned hurt. You looked at him and he looked at you and both of you broke out in laughter.

You weren't sure what the future holds, but in that moment, you don't know how life could get better.