1

My Guardian Angel

 “So then like, I heard that Kwanghee oppa was dating Sunhwa unni, but then he broke up with her for Nadia or something like that.”

 

No way! Kwanghee and Sunhwa sunbaes are still dating! I swear I saw them holding hands this morning!”

 

I don't know what Kwanghee sees in her though, Sunhwa likes Siwan better doesn't she?”

 

No way dude! Sunhwa really likes Kwanghee, her and Siwan are just good friends!”

 

Then what about Dongjun and Hyungsik, didn't they like Sunhwa or one of her friends?”

 

At this you sighed and plugged in your earphones, packed up your books and tossed them into your bag. You slung your messenger bag over your shoulder as you walked away. Out of the corner of your eyes, you could see that same group of girls staring at you with disgust and spite. It's not your fault that your best friend was Dongjun and you older brother was Hyungsik. You sighed and upon opening the door and walking out into the hallway, you ran into – of all people – Sunhwa.

 

Ah! ___-ah!” she greeted you happily. You gave her a small smile. The smile on her face melted off as she stood there with her arms crossed and a stern expression.

 

Tell unni what's wrong. C'mon now,” she encouraged. You shook your head and quickly molded a bright smile, and replied, “It's nothing unni. Just don't go in there, there are too many idiots in there contaminating the room.”

 

Sunhwa laughed at your sharp remark despite the poisonous words. She let you go as she walked down the opposite of the hall. You glanced back to see her and Kwanghee talking to each other again, more than friends, but probably less than lovers. Those girls in there are always speaking lies, they should at least see it for themselves before assuming .

 

You briskly walked towards the garden patio located in the center of the school. Strangely, in your school, only the top 10% students were allowed to use the beautiful patio, allowing more or less 45 of you guys to use it during lunch. The patio itself served the best lunch and also had the best location for Wi-Fi. You looked around before feeling your earphones pulled out of your ear and an arm was slung around your shoulders, causing you to momentarily lose your balance.

 

Yo!” Dongjun greeted with a bright smile. You felt the tension that was in your body relax for that short moment when you saw your best friend beside you. You smiled at him brightly and answered back cheerfully, “Sup Dongjun.”

 

He wrapped you in a quick hug and you returned the sweet gesture before hearing a rough cough. The two of you turn around to see your older brother and you smile at him. Like Hyungsik, the two of you had similar features, when you guys had a straight face, you both looked cold and distant, but the moment a smile graced your features, you two looked like angels. Although it's been rumored around the school that your genuine smile was prettier than your brother's, but you two didn't care, you both considered each other equally beautiful. Then again, it was probably because no one ever saw you smile genuinely unless it was around Dongjun or your brother, and occasionally Sunhwa.

 

Not in front of me please,” Hyungsik complained with a small pout.

 

Sorry oppa,” you apologized before giving your brother a hug. Unlike the quick hug between you and Dongjun, the two of you maintained the hug for a while. The two of you have been living with Dongjun since your parents passed away. Hyungsik works a part time job at a cafe everyday after school, and he still forbids you to work. Instead you help around doing tutoring at school in order to help earn money to repay Dongjun and also to support your brother.

 

Not in front of me either please,” Dongjun mocked Hyungsik. Hyungsik shot a glare at him before Dongjun backed up, holding his hands up in defense. You let go of your brother before turning to Dongjun. He raised his eyebrows and you nodded, the two of you walked away, knowing that Hyungsik would follow you guys to the table that you guys normally hang out at.

 

Awaiting for the three of you at the round table was Sunhwa, Kwanghee, and Siwan, sitting in that exact order. Siwan waved at you guys and Hyungsik returned the favor before walking up quickly to sit beside his best friend. The two automatically began chattering as you slid into the seat beside your brother and Dongjun sat between you and Sunhwa and Kwanghee clapped his hands, gathering everyone's attention.

 

I'll just like to clear up any questions about me and Sunhwa, we're still together, and Siwan is still our dear friend, and no I'm not with anyone else like those people claim to say I am. And I don't know about the other rumor, but I'm PRETTY sure, Dongjun likes someone else that isn't Sunhwa and that Hyungsik likes his manager from his cafe.”

 

Hyung!” Hyungsik said sharply. Kwanghee smirked and flicked his wrist at him, replying, “No need to be shy, all of us here know how you look at her when we come visit.”

 

Hyungsik blushed and you raised an eyebrow and he shook his head while giving you a quick signal you two had made when you were children. He pulled at the collar of his shirt and you merely blinked twice in response. In the meanwhile, Dongjun looked at you from the corner of his eyes and Sunhwa noticed. She smiled and whispered to Kwanghee, “And you say you don't know who Dongjun likes?”

 

In return, he silently laughs, attempting to conceal it from the others who were busy chatting about random things. He smiles softly and replies, “It's pretty obvious, she just doesn't see it.”

 

*****

Shortly after lunch ended, you sat in class next to Siwan. The two of you were busily discussing your upcoming project that was due in a few weeks when the same group of girls that were gossiping earlier interrupted you guys.

 

Siwan oppa! Can you help us on this problem? We don't get it.”

 

Yeah! It's so hard. Oppa, you're in the top 10% of the school, can't you help us?”

 

Siwan looked flustered, but regardless he decided to help out. He was too sweet and caring to say no to someone in need. But you saw the motive behind their sudden request for help. You attempted to avoid any conflict and said to Siwan, “Siwan-ah, I'm going to go ask the teacher to let me use the computers for more researching, okay?”

 

Siwan looked at you, and although his expressions and body language was compose and calm, his eyes faintly revealed concern and worry for you. He nodded and you walked away, grabbing your stuff before heading over to the teacher. As soon as you got to the back of the classroom where the computers were, you heard the girls increase their volume again.

 

Siwan oppa, you're so smart and handsome! It's no wonder you're so well liked by everyone!”

 

Yeah, but unni, realize that there are people out there who like to take advantage of oppa's kindness.”

 

Ah, those people disgust me the most, don't you agree Siwan oppa?”

 

Siwan ignored the questions of the other girls and continued to help the girl that was actually focused on learning the subject. The other girls snorted and one of them flips her hair before looking your way. Although you don't see her glaring straight at you, you can feel the hatred directed at you. You continue researching, attempting to ignore them as you hear them laugh. You're unsure if they're laughing at you or not, but regardless, the hurt and pain that you feel is certain. I never did anything to them, why do they always make fun of me like that?

 

*****

Upon arriving home with Dongjun, you quickly walked into your room after greeting his mother. She glanced at Dongjun and he continues staring at your fading back. His mother walks over to her son and asks, “Is ___ okay?”

 

I'd like to say she is, but she's been like this for the past three weeks now, do you think something's happened?” he mumbled a reply. His mother squeezed his shoulder and she said, “You should talk to her. The poor girl probably feels cornered.”

 

And as true as Dongjun's mother's words were, you were cornered. For the past three weeks you had immediately ran to your room in order to get some peace and quiet for yourself. You sighed and cuddled in your bed. You felt the tears slowly stream down your face once again. You heard a knock at your door and you quickly wiped the tears, and checked your phone screen to check your reflection. Although the tears weren't as noticeable now, you were still scared whoever it was would notice it.

 

___-ah? It's Dongjun, can I come in?” he asked politely from the other side. Normally he'd just barge in, but after seeing you continually doing the same thing, locking yourself up in your room, he had stopped doing so. At first assuming that you were just busy with homework and finals.

 

Come in,” you said rather quietly, but still firmly enough. You sat up in bed, and made room for Dongjun to sit beside you. He walked in slowly and locked the door behind him, assuming that you wanted it to be. You gave a faint nod, indicating your thanks for closing the door. He walked over to you and sat down on the edge of the bed and then scooted closer to you, resting against the headboard as he made himself comfortable beside you.

 

What's up?” you ask. You attempted to start off the conversation lightly, but unfortunately, your voice cracked, indicating that you clearly weren't okay.

 

I should be asking you that,” he said softly. You looked up at him and he noticed the tears in your eyes, he took one of your hands and gently rubbed circles onto you hands, “What's on your mind?”

 

Too much,” you reply before sighing. You looked away from him and stared at his hands that were holding yours. They're warm... and big too. You mumbled, “You won't laugh at me if I tell you this right?”

 

He shook his head and encouraged you, “Of course not, what kind of best friend would I be if I can't be there to help you?”

 

I-” you began and stopped. What do I tell him? That I feel like I'm being bullied? That I'm scared that people aren't getting to know the real me? That I've been unable to express my emotions since my parents died? I don't even- All your thoughts stopped upon feeling Dongjun wrapping you in a hug. He whispered into your ear, “Sorry if I'm forcing you to talk... you seem like you're not prepared to talk, and I'll wait until you're ready. Just know that I'm always here for you okay?”

 

At this you felt the tears that you have been holding back for so long, ever since the day your parents passed away, burst. The dam that had held them back had finally broken down. You clung to Dongjun's shirt, somewhat surprising him the moment he heard and felt you sobbing against him. He held you tightly as you let everything out. The sadness, frustration, stress, anger, that you had held in all this time. He rubbed small circles on your back as you continued to hold onto him.

 

How long have you been holding yourself back. . .?”

 

His question slips out on accident. He suddenly tenses, in fear that you'd be mad at him, but upon hearing your voice, he relaxes.

 

I don't know, I've always been bottling it up.”

 

Then you haven't even told hyung th-”

 

You shook your head and wrapped your arms around Dongjun's torso, leaning against him for support. He cradles you in his arms and continues to rub small circles on your back.

 

Ever since we transferred schools to the same school as you, I've been receiving really bad treatment by my classmates,” you began softly. You were listening to his heart beat, for some reason it had a calming effect on you. In addition to his warm embrace and the therapeutic circles, you felt safe in his arms. You continued, “Although Siwan-sshi and I have classes together, many of his admirers don't like me because we're good friends. Siwan-sshi. . . he's really nice to me, and because of him I got to meet Kwanghee oppa and Sunhwa unni, but then he also indirectly made me become the target of hatred from his admirers.”

 

You paused and Dongjun tightened his embrace around you. He felt a bit frustrated that the seemingly nice girls that not once had treated other girls cruelly, had begun to do so towards you. You felt his hold on you tighten and you snuggle against his chest.

 

So I guess, the nonstop bullying, and also the stress from having to keep my grades up, and also the fact that my parents passed away. Everything accumulated, and I guess I'm depressed..?” you concluded. To be honest, you weren't too sure either exactly what you were. You were pretty sure that these were the beginning signs of depression, after all you did search it up during your free time out of curiosity.

 

You don't smile anymore either,” Dongjun added. He pulled away and examined your face. You gave him a small smile and you said, “I didn't smile often to begin with.”

 

I know, but still, you smile even less now,” he sighed. A laugh slips out of your mouth. It was genuine, something that surprised the both of you. Dongjun laughs and he says, “I'm glad I still manage to bring your emotions out.”

 

Mm, this is why we're best friends,” you commented. You wrapped your arms around him again, this time you had them loosely around his neck as you rested against his shoulder. You whispered, “Thank you for always being here for me.”

 

Dongjun blushed and awkwardly wrapped his arms around your waist and pulled you closer. He cleared his throat and nodded his head, “Yeah, sure thing.”

 

*****

The next few days, you began to cheer up a bit more. You had began to care a bit less about how the girls were treating you, although it still pained you to see them ignore you every time you attempted to greet them. You let it go by the end of the day.

 

One day, during lunch, you had noticed that Dongjun was missing from the table, and so was Hyungsik and Siwan. You felt awkward third wheeling with Kwanghee and Sunhwa, but for some reason, the couple wasn't as touchy feely with each other as they normally were. And every time you attempted to leave, one of them would tell you to stay. However, you couldn't stop your curiosity as you left to look for them.

 

As you were walking back to your class, you noticed a crowd around the door. You squeezed through and managed to make your way to the door when you heard an enraged Hyungsik reprimanding someone.

 

You don't even know her situation and you're treating her like she's trash! Don't you realize by now that she's my sister?!” he exclaimed. You squeezed through the crowd, but in the process trip forward into the opening. Everyone looked at you upon your entrance and you looked at them nervously. Dongjun looked at you, a bit surprised and you hear Siwan ask, “Did you hear everything?”

 

You shook your head and looked at your brother and you mumbled, “Oppa... is everything okay?”

 

No, everything's not okay. Why didn't you tell me you were being bullied at school?” he replied bluntly. You flinched at the tone of his voice, and Dongjun noticed. He walked over to your side and took your hand, you looked at him and back at Hyungsik and you see your brother run a hand through his hair. He normally doesn't lose his cool, but today was one of the days that his temper was sky rocketing.

 

It's because of actions like that that she's getting bullied Dongjun-ah! You're only making her life more difficult,” Hyungsik immediately says. You suddenly look around to get a better understanding of what was going on and you suddenly noticed the group of girls that normally bullied you looking down at the floor, and every now and then one of them would glance up to look at you. You saw regret written all over their faces and the puzzle clicked. Dongjun probably told Hyungsik about your situation, and thus he had attempted to fix it.

 

You see Dongjun looking at you with a pained expression as he glanced back and forth between you and your brother. You could tell he was contemplating the words that your brother had just said, but it wasn't true. Dongjun was always there by your side, if he suddenly left you now, you wouldn't know what to do. Dongjun's hand almost slipped out of yours when you entwined your fingers with his. The simple action grabbed the attention of Dongjun and you see him resolve to a certain conclusion.

 

Then I'll clear the air of rumors away,” Dongjun exclaimed. He looked at you and he gave you a small smile, and said, “Sorry it had to turn out this way, I wasn't planning on telling you like this, but ___-ah, I've always been watching over you, and it hurts me when you're in pain. I want to be there for you and be your support whenever you need someone. So, will you do me the honor of allowing me to be your boyfriend?”

 

A ripple of commotion went through the crowd and Hyungsik's eyes widened. He walked forward and Siwan stops him and holds him back. You feel the tears prick at the back of your eyes and you use your free hand to gently press against them, hoping to stop them from falling. You nod your head and Dongjun quickly wraps you into a hug. He holds you tightly against him as you wrap your arms around him for security. He looks up and addresses everyone else around him, “Now that everything is cleared up, understand this. ___ is not the girl that the rumors have described her to be. She's honest, innocent, and extremely nice and caring towards others. She's Hyungsik's younger sister, good friend of Siwan, and my girlfriend. Kwanghee and Sunhwa acts as her fill-in parents. So please, don't treat her like this anymore, she's already gone through so much pain upon transferring here during the middle of the school year.”

 

Everyone nodded and murmured in agreement as they dispersed, leaving the room as soon as they heard the announcement from Dongjun. A few people shouted words of encouragement to you, but very few stayed in the class until a few minutes before the bell rang.

 

___-ah,” Hyungsik says softly. He looks at you apologetically and you run up to him, hugging him. “Oppa's sorry. I'm sorry I raised my voice at you. I was worried though, I overheard Dongjun talking to his mother about it and since then I started worrying and I couldn't stand it when I began to notice the little things that they did to you and how you weren't smiling as often anymore. I'm sorry I never noticed it earlier.”

 

You shook your head and you reached up to cup your brother's face. You smiled at him brightly and you said, “It's okay. Oppa has his own concerns to worry about too. And plus, I have my own guardian angel always watching over me.”

 

Hyungsik looked up to see Dongjun standing a little away from you two. He smiles at his dongsaeng and Dongjun returns the gesture with a bright smile. Siwan pats Dongjun on the back and you let go of your brother to walk over to Siwan. Siwan patted your head and apologized, “Sorry I never noticed I was also at fault. I should've told them before hand. I knew they admired me, but I didn't know it was to this extreme.”

 

You shook your head and was about to speak when the girls apologized, “We're sorry ___-sshi!”

 

You looked at them in shock as they one by one looked at each other and spoke in random.

 

We were always jealous of you.”

 

Yeah... because, ___-sshi, you're not only smart, but you're also pretty, and nice, and everyone else liked you.”

 

Also, you were so close to Siwan oppa who we've looked up to for so long now.”

 

We're sorry we've been treating you so badly, will you forgive us?”

 

You nodded and a small smile graced your features. Dongjun raised an eyebrow at you before you looked away, slightly flushed. The rest of the day was spent peacefully as the girls now began to talk to you in order to get to know you better. They had apologized profoundly throughout the class period, but they began to grow to like you as the day was nearing an end.

 

As you arrived home that day, you had gone into your room first. You had finished showering and had sat down on your bed and began reading for your English homework. You hear a knock and you mumble a “come-in” to whoever it was and Dongjun enters. Upon seeing you lazily laying there on the bed, with your wet hair tied up to a side pony tail, he smiled. He crept over as you were still deep into the book and then wrapped you into a hug, but as a result, made you lose your page.

 

Dongjun! Why'd you do that!” you asked with a laugh. He laughed and pulled you into sitting position, having your back rest against his chest.

 

Sorry, I'm really happy right now,” he apologizes as he rests his head on your shoulder, reading along with you as your finger slid across the page.

 

And why is that so?” you asked with curiosity. Dongjun's hold on you tightens again and he whispers into your ear, “Because the person that I've been in love with all this time returns my feelings.”

 

You giggle and turn to face him. You bookmarked your page and you looked into his eyes and you said, “Did you know I liked you since the day we met?”

 

Really now?” he asks, raising an eyebrow at you. You nodded and you continued, “But then I gave up because I thought you just saw me as another friend.”

 

I gave up because I thought you saw me as another friend!” he exclaimed. The two of you laugh and he pulls you closer so you're practically resting against him. You found a comfortable position in which you could listen to his heart beat and you mumble, “I'm amused that we continued to like each other even after we claimed to give up.”

 

Yeah, we're a strange pair,” he chuckled and he kisses your forehead before mumbling, “I promise you I'll protect you and make you happy from now on.”

 

I'll hold your words against you for the rest of your life if you don't.” you declare. He laughs and he places his forehead against yours.

 

I'll be your guardian angel for the rest of your life then.”