Play With Me

Box of Chocolates

I'm a er for Kid!JeTi, sooo...

----

A lone seven year old girl is sitting at the side of the pool, flipping few pages of a magazine while swinging her legs, feeling the cool water of the pool. Not minding the other kids busily playing around and the noisy chitchat of their parents.

 

She was enjoying her solitude when a sudden wave of hand right in front of the magazine disturbed her. She looked up to find a girl about her age, with a mega–watt smile and an eye-smile that does nothing but irritate her.

 

“Hi!”

 

The girl slightly winced at the loud voice.

 

“I’m Tiffany! I see you’re alone and thought you might want a new friend! What’s your name?”

 

The girl didn’t answer and continued scanning her magazine, clearly not wanting to talk, but Tiffany doesn’t seem to get the picture. She sat beside the girl and leaned sideward, trying to take a peek of the magazine.

 

“Hey, what is that you’re – IS THAT DANIEL HENNEY?!” Tiffany stretched her left arm and pointed her finger on the magazine. But before she could touch it, her arm was swatted away.

 

“Back off! He’s mine!” The girl protectively wrapped her arms around the magazine and held it close to her chest.

 

Tiffany blinked a few times with agape and her brows furrowed in confusion.

 

“That’s weird, unnie said that too.”

 

“Well, your unnie’s lying. He’s mine.”

 

“Nah, mom told us not to lie. I’m way cuter than Daniel anyways, don’t you think?” Tiffany had her hands on both of her cheeks, a smile still plastered on her face.

 

“Yeah, yeah whatever you say.” The girl said without looking at Tiffany, wanting to end the conversation right away.

 

“Will you tell me your name?”

 

Tiffany assumed that the girl will finally tell her name, since she got her to talk. But she only got a cold “No.”

 

For a second the smile on Tiffany’s face was wiped off and replaced with a pout, but it was soon followed by a mischievous smirk. If the girl will not tell her name despite her friendly way of asking, then it’s time for plan B.

 

Tiffany swiftly stood up and placed herself behind the girl. She then grabbed both of the girl’s shoulders and spoke with a threatening voice.

 

“If you don’t tell me your name, I’ll push you and let you fall into the water!” Tiffany lightly pushed the girl towards the pool, she was quite strong for a seven year old. The girl froze on her spot as she can do nothing but hug the magazine. Tiffany knew she had already won. She only had one thing to do.

 

“I’m going to count from one to three! ONE, T – ”

 

“Okay! It’s Jessica! My name’s Jessica! Stop!” The girl, or Jessica, let out a loud shrieking scream.

 

Tiffany immediately let go of Jessica and sat back beside the girl.

 

“You sound like those dolphins we watched last week. Nice meeting you Jessica!” Tiffany cheerfully said.

 

Jessica looked at Tiffany, ready to give the girl a taste of her glare that often make other kids cry and run away from her. But she was taken aback with the way the girl say her name, she was used to hearing ‘Jeshika’ from other people aside from her parents. Dhe almost wanted to ask Tiffany if she was from the states when she saw the girl’s wide smile, but then she remembered that she is supposed to be irritated by the girl’s presence.

 

“Why don’t you just go and bother other kids?”

 

“You should be thankful that I asked you to be my friend than – ”

 

“I don’t remember agreeing to be your friend.”

 

Tiffany fumed at Jessica’s attitude, if she had known that kids in Korea are not friendly at all, she would have forced the hell out of her parents to stay in the States. But then again, none of the kids around sparks her interest except for this girl, who apparently has an attitude.

 

“Well whatever, we’re friends now so you shall not ignore me when we see each other next time, okay?” Tiffany was about to stretch her smallest finger for a pinky swear when she heard a voice call her, her mom was signalling her that it was time to go home. She hurriedly went to her mom, but not without a loud “Bye, Jessi!” and a wave.

 

Jessica remained stoic after Tiffany left. She sighed and wished next time is not around the corner.

 

--

 

Jessica lazily went downstairs and was about to go into the kitchen when she saw her mom at the doorway talking to someone, she slowly crept behind her mom and asked,

 

“Mom, what are you doing in the doorway?”

 

“Oh, Jessica, have you – ”

 

“WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!” Jessica shrieked at the sight before her.

 

Tiffany is standing at their doorway, her irritating smile clearly visible. The girl even wears a small pink bag pack, making her look like she was in for a pajama party.

 

“Jung Sooyeon, that is not the way to greet a visitor.”  Mrs. Jung quickly reprimanded her daughter.

 

“But mom – ”

 

“No worries, auntie! I’ve met Jessica yesterday. We’re friends now, right Jessi?” Tiffany spoke with hopeful eyes.

 

Jessica clearly remembered her wish of not meeting Tiffany any time soon, not the other way around. But it seems like she can’t do anything as her mom is already inviting Tiffany inside their house.

 

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

“Great! Tiffany and her family are our new neighbours, they live across. Now why don’t you show Tiffany your room, Sooyeon? It’s good that you have someone to play with than your magazines.”

 

“Mom! I don’t – ” Jessica was about to protest when she saw her mom glaring at her, no wonder she is so good at glaring. Must be the genes.

 

Jessica hung her head low and walked like a zombie towards her room with a giggling Tiffany following close behind.

-

“Jessi what do you want to do? I brought some coloring books! Oh I have puzzles too! This is so much fun! Do you have dolls? Where are they? I forgot to bring them but I have many in my room!” Tiffany exclaimed while opening her bag and hastily took out its contents.

 

“Ugh no, you play and I do whatever I want.” Jessica climbed up and sat cross-legged on her bed. She grabbed the magazine on her nightstand and began flipping the pages.

 

“Daniel Henney again? Seriously what’s even good with him? You and unnie are so weird. Come on let’s color these!” Tiffany rolled her eyes and pushed one of the coloring books along with her coloring materials towards Jessica.

 

“Mind your own business. I never said I wanted to play with you.”

 

“Why are you so mean?! I just want to play with you. You’re my only friend here, we just moved in you know? Do you know how far America is? I miss my friends there. Dad said I’ll be able to find lots of friends here, but I only found a mean Jessica.”

 

Tiffany faked a sniff and gave her best pout. She even blinked a few times, making her eyes a bit teary before looking at Jessica – something she learned to do when she wants her mom to buy her something.

 

“Give me that.” Jessica said without looking at Tiffany. It was evident that Tiffany’s smile irritates her, but she was confused as why Tiffany’s pout and teary eyes bothered her more than anything. She drastically snatched the coloring book and started to pick some colors to use.

 

“Yey! I’m going to color mine with pink!” Tiffany excitedly did a fist pump and positioned herself beside Jessica on the bed.

 

“Tiffany, what’s the point of the other colors? It’ll look more – ”

 

“Mind your own business.” Tiffany said in exactly the same manner and in equal amount of coldness as Jessica.

 

Both of them fell into silence. It took a whole thirty seconds before Tiffany burst into laughter, her voice echoed in the room along with a couple of clapping sounds.

 

“I was kidding! You should’ve seen your face Jessi! Doesn’t everything look cute with pink? See, the clouds look like a cotton candy! Yum!” Tiffany – still laughing – carelessly pinched Jessica’s cheeks.

 

Dazed at how Tiffany easily invaded her personal space, Jessica silently watched the beaming girl and unconsciously let out a small smile. If it was any other kid, their finger would’ve been broken by now, not to mention they would be crying their hearts out. But it was Tiffany’s cheerful disposition and her immunity to Jessica’s glare that made her a little special. Needless to say, Jessica was enjoying their coloring activity.

-

Jessica was halfway through the coloring book and she was quite proud of her work. She colored each page as perfect as possible. Her gaze turned to the girl beside her, Tiffany wasn’t joking when she said she would color everything with pink. The girl looked so focused, not to mention cute while messily the pink crayola in every direction.

 

But as much as Jessica is enjoying their playtime, there is one thing that wants to do, something that she loves more than gawking at her magazines.

 

She looked at the clock on her night stand. A smile crept up her face when she saw the time.

 

One more minute.

 

She waited for the second hand of the clock to point at number ten. Immediately she started to count down from ten and when she reached one, she shouted,

 

“Nap time!” She pushed aside the coloring books and materials and in a matter of second she was able      to tuck herself in her bed and took her long awaited nap.

 

Tiffany has a confused look as she moved her head and stared at the sleeping figure beside her. She remained seated on the bed, silently thinking of what to do. But she was broken from her trance when the door slowly opened.

 

Mrs. Jung popped her head at the doorway.

 

“Seems like Sooyeon’s already sleeping. You should take a nap too, sweetie.”

 

“Okay auntie.” Tiffany whispered, no longer confused. She lifted up Jessica’s blanket and slid beside the sleeping girl.

 

--

 

Tiffany woke up a couple of minutes after she fell asleep. It was not a surprise since she doesn’t like taking a nap. It had to take her mom’s promise of making a delicious snack and her brother’s scary story of a creep who kidnaps children do not sleep in the afternoon for her to go up to her room and sleep.

 

She fluttered her eyes a few times and groggily sat up. She was facing the nightstand and immediately saw Jessica’s magazines. There are more than five of them. She skimmed a random magazine and hastily put it down. The skimmed another one, and another one.

 

“Seriously Jessi, Daniel Henney’s face is in every one of your magazines.”  She whispered to the sleeping, unresponsive girl.

 

With a huff she placed the magazines back to their original position. Her eyes fall to one of the magazine’s cover which has Daniel Henney looking directly at her. She rolled her eyes and pointed her forefinger at the picture.

 

“Don’t look at me like that, you giant. You look ugly for your information, my pictures’ -- ” Tiffany let out a soft gasp. Her eyes sparkled and formed a sly grin.

 

Tiffany Hwang just thought of something.

-

Tiffany hurriedly walked out of Jessica’s room and went her way downstairs, her back pack wiggling behind her.

 

“Tiffany? Where are you going?” Mrs. Jung asked when she saw Tiffany at the front door.

 

Tiffany abruptly stopped on her tracks and faced Jessica’s mom.

 

“I have to get something from my room auntie, be back soon!”

 

“Okay.” Mrs. Jung shrugged. Tiffany was already on their front yard.

-

Jessica groaned as she woke up, she glanced on her side and was surprised to see a mass of hair covering almost half of her pillow, she instantly recognized the person sleeping because of the cute little nose that could be seen despite the hair that is also covering the girl’s face. She sighed, so much for some time alone after nap.

 

She tried to get up but her attempt failed as she noticed a hand resting comfortably on her stomach and a leg entangled with her own. Sighing, she gently lied on her back, and turned her head to the girl beside her, thinking it might be difficult for the girl to breathe with such hair on her face, Jessica carefully moved a few strands of hair away, chuckling as she saw a trace of drool on Tiffany’s face.

 

With nothing left to do, Jessica stretched her hand towards her nightstand, trying to grab one of her magazines. She grabbed nothing but the cold, hard surface of her nightstand. She faced her nightstand and narrowed her eyes as she saw nothing but her alarm clock on top.

 

Panic engulfed Jessica as she frantically got up, almost knocking Tiffany off the bed and searched for her magazines.

 

“Where are my magazines? I just put it right there!”

 

It was after she searched under her bed, inside her closet, in her bathroom and everywhere possible and still cannot find one single magazine that she noticed Tiffany fidgeting on her bed, looking down while hugging her bag pack.

 

“You, where are my magazines?”

 

“I—Jessi...”

 

“WHERE ARE THEY?!”

 

“I GAVE THEM TO MICHELLE UNNIE!” Tiffany gasped and covered . She wasn’t planning of spilling the truth this soon.

 

“YOU WHAT?!”

 

“Jessi – ”

 

“Give them back to me now! N.O.W!” Jessica snapped. How dare this girl take away her magazines and just give it to anyone?!

 

“B-but I brought something that’s better than your magazines!”

 

Jessica stopped fuming and gave Tiffany a quizzical look.

 

“What do you mean—”

 

“I brought you this!” Tiffany shoved a small, thick and square object in Jessica’s hands.

 

“What is this?” Jessica murmured as she examined the object.

 

Jessica faced Tiffany with a contorted look.

 

“This is better than Daniel Henney?”

 

The object that Jessica is holding is a photo album with Tiffany’s face in every page.

 

“Yes! You agreed when I told you I’m way cuter than that giant. Now you can look at my pictures all time!” Tiffany exclaimed. She was back to her usual bubbly self, with her usual smiling face.

 

Jessica didn’t say anything but kept an expressionless look. She opened the photo album once again and slowly flipped its pages. Just looking at five pictures of Tiffany smiling widely makes her dizzy, so she didn’t bother taking a look at the other pictures.

 

“I don’t like it.”

 

“But Jessi! You’re not even finished looking at it!”

 

“They’re all the same Tiffany. They all have your face.”

 

Tiffany scanned the photo album and spoke with enthusiasm,

 

“But I look really cute while eating the ice cream, see?”

 

 Tiffany held the photo album in front of Jessica’s face. It was a picture of Tiffany with strawberry ice cream all over , topped with her ever present smile.

 

“I still don’t like it. Give me back my magazines.”

 

 “And I look pretty in my princess costume!”

 

Oblivious to Jessica’s statement, Tiffany continued her self-praising.

 

“I said give me back my magazines.”

 

“Whoa, my huge pink birthday cake!”

 

“Yah!”

 

Tiffany was startled by Jessica’s loud voice, she stepped back as tears welled in her eyes.

 

“You really don’t like it? This even has my favourite picture of me and our puppy.” Tiffany said, defeated. It never occurred to her that Jessica won’t like her pictures. Everybody usually does.

 

Jessica’s eyes softened when she saw Tiffany about cry. Seems like she scared yet another kid. But Tiffany is not just another kid, she was the first kid to enter her room, she was the first kid to play with her, she was her first friend.

 

Guess she just has to deal with dizziness from now on. She took a step forward and grabbed the photo album.

 

“This doesn’t even cover up to the pages in my magazines. You think I won’t easily get bored with just this?” Jessica tried not to sound as cold as she normally does.

 

Tiffany stopped fidgeting but kept her eyes on her feet.

 

“W-well..”

 

“Well?”

 

“We could..” Tiffany said slowly. Then as if a light bulb has lit up above her head, she lifted her head up.

 

“We could play together every day!”

--

“Tiff, that’s a lettuce. There’s no such thing as pink lettuce.”

 

“There is Jessi, I just made one!”

 

“Whatever. Help me with these fries.”

 

“Wait! Use this!”

 

“I don’t want pink French fries Tiffany.”

 

It has been a couple of weeks and Tiffany also has been true to her words. Every day, Jessica finds herself playing with Tiffany. The bubbly girl would go to the Jung’s house, bringing with her different sets of toys to play. She would occasionally drag Jessica to their house, saying she’s bored with Jessica’s baby blue wallpaper.

 

Now Jessica finds herself in Tiffany’s bedroom, playing a set of clay-molding toy. Tiffany of course, chose to use only one color of clay.

 

“Oh come on Jessi, your fries look really boring!”

 

“It’s called realistic Tiffany, RE-A-LIS-TIC.” Jessica emphasized each syllable.

 

Tiffany let out a chuckle and pinched Jessica’s cheek, “You’re so cute Jessi!”

 

“Ow! Hey I said no pink fries!”

 

“But I already made them, please Jessi?”  There goes the sniffing and the puppy eyes.

 

Jessica can’t help but sigh and lazily nod her head, “Fine, fine.”

 

“Yey! Pink French fries!” The bubbly girl exclaimed, “I wish we can eat these.”

 

Jessica just rolled her eyes but her gaze softened when she noticed the tone in Tiffany’s voice, it seems like the girl really wants to eat the molded clays.

 

“Really? You want to eat pink burgers and pink fries?”

 

“Silly Jessi,” Another pinch, “I meant I wish we can eat burgers and fries too!”

 

“But you can buy them at restaurants.”

 

“Well I haven’t eaten some since we moved here. Mom said I should eat lots of Korean food because it’s healthier.” Tiffany said with a pout, clearly missing American food.

 

“Poor you.” Jessica playfully stuck her tongue out.

 

“Yah! Meanie!”

-

“Mom can we have burgers and French fries for snack tomorrow?”

 

“Sure sweetie.”

 

“Can you make the fries pink?”

 

Mrs. Jung stopped slicing the vegetables to look at her daughter beside her.

 

“Why do you want pink French fries?”

 

 “I don’t, but Tiffany does. So, can you make them pink?” Jessica asked with hopeful eyes.

 

Mrs. Jung lightly laughed, “No,” then she patted Jessica’s head, “but I can mix mayo and ketchup for the dip.”

-

Jessica and Tiffany are heading downstairs for their snack when the latter stopped walking. Jessica turned around and saw Tiffany looking at their dining table with wide and sparkling eyes.

 

 "Burgers and frieeeeeees!!" Tiffany hurriedly ran to where the food is and grabbed one burger, munching it right away.

 

"Someone's hungry." Jessica teased while lazily dipping two French fries to the mix sauce.

 

"I just miss eating them okay?" Tiffany defended herself with a smile, too overwhelmed with the fact that she's eating a burger when she just told Jessica yesterday how she missed American food.

 

Wait a minute.

 

"Auntie, did Jessi tell you to make these today?" Tiffany faced Mrs. Jung.

 

“W-what? No I didn’t!” Jessica said a little too loud while violently shaking her head.

 

“No she didn’t, I just assumed both of you want to eat burgers and fries.” Mrs. Jung smirked. She winked at Tiffany after placing the girls’ drinks, which caused the latter to giggle and place the same smirk on her face, understanding the elder’s message.

 

“Alrighty then. You must have powers auntie! I just told Jessica yesterday that I miss eating this!” Tiffany held up a burger and continued giggling.

 

“I also assumed that you would love the mayo and ketchup dip. I think I heard someone say you like pink.” Mrs. Jung’s smirk widened, squinting her eyes at Jessica.

 

“It’s not me!”

 

“I didn’t say it was you Sooyeon.”

 

"I love pink! Thank you auntie!" Tiffany let out another set of giggles.

 

"You're welcome sweetie." Mrs. Jung showed off a warm smile and left the kitchen.

 

Tiffany turned to Jessica and saw the latter sulking with a frown on her face. She moved closer to Jessica and playfully pinched the frowning girl's cheek.

 

"Thank you Jessi!"

 

"That hurts!" Jessica yelled but it only caused Tiffany to pinch her cheek even more, happy to see the smile back on Jessica's face.

--

 "Jessi don't just sit there! Come here!"

 

"I don't want to."

 

"But you said you'll help me!"

 

"I didn't."

 

"Yes you did!"

 

"But it's tiring."

 

"No it's not!"

 

"Yes it is."

 

"I'm gonna tell auntie you're being bad to me!"

 

"She won't believe you."

 

"Okay I'm going to tell auntie now."

 

"She went to the grocery store, remember?"

 

"I'm going to tell mom!"

 

"Tell me what?" Mrs. Hwang asked as she came out of their house to their garden.

 

"Mom! Jessi here is being bad to me!" Tiffany accusingly pointed her little forefinger at Jessica.

 

"It's not true auntie!" Jessica retorded, now standing up beside Tiffany.

 

"See? She even called me a liar!"

 

"I didn't!"

 

"Okay. One at a time girls."

 

Mrs. Hwang calmly said, amused by the bickering duo in front of her.

 

"Mom! Jessi said she doesn't want to help us plant flowers!" Tiffany wasted no time in telling her mom the reason of their bickering.

 

"Is that true Jessica?"

 

Jessica kept mum, avoiding Mrs Hwang’s gaze. She softly scoffed after seeing Tiffany sticking out her tongue

.

"Why don't you try it first, I’m sure you'll like it. You can just copy what Stephanie is doing." Mrs. Hwang gently told Jessica, showing the same smile that she usually sees in Tiffany.

 

“Okay auntie.” Jessica nodded, she really can’t say no now, can she?

 

Tiffany's eyes sparkled at the sight, excited that Jessica is finally willing to help her plant.

 

"Mom I'm already an expert, you can just stay inside the house, I'll teach Jessi everything!" Tiffany excitedly pushed Mrs. Hwang towards their front door.

 

"Alright, alright. Call me when you need anything."

 

After watching her mom's retreating back, Tiffany immediately crouched and grabbed an extra hand trowel and handed it to Jessica.

 

"Jessi! Help me loosen the soil! You just push in the trowel and lift it up. It’s easy!" She explained in details and expertly loosened the soil, doing exactly what she had explained earlier.

 

Jessica, on the other hand, crouched beside Tiffany and just lazily scraped the soil back and forth.

 

"Do you always have to sound excited?"

 

 "But I am exited! We have a huge garden back in States, and mom said we can have a bigger garden here!” Tiffany exclaimed in an even brighter tone, unfazed by the uninterested girl that is Jessica.

 

“What are we going to plant anyways?”

 

“Sunflowers!”

 

“Eh? Not pink-colored flowers?” Jessica asked, quite surprised that the pink monster beside her is not planting something pink.

 

“I wanted to plant pink roses but mom said we can plant it when I’m older, so sunflowers for now. When they grow, there will be sunflowers everywhere!” Tiffany beamed, extending her hand to their wide garden, “They’ll be really pretty, right Jessi?”

 

“You really love planting flowers huh?” Jessica barely heard her reply as she continued watching Tiffany. The bubbly girl has dreamy look on her face, as if loosening the soil is the most beautiful thing to do.

 

“Flowers are pretty! I like seeing them grow. Then we can put them in flower vases.” 

 

“I thought you’re not supposed to pick flowers?”

 

“We can just plant more of them! Silly Jessi.” Tiffany chuckled and reached for a pinch.

 

“Yah, your hands are dirty!” Jessica yelped as she felt Tiffany’s little fingers touched her cheek. The other girl merely shrugged.

 

“There! Soil is good! Now we can plant the seedlings! Dig a small hole like this Jessi!”

 

Jessica wiped her cheek with the back of her hand. She doesn’t say anything but continued to listen to Tiffany’s instructions, no longer uninterested.

--

“What took you so long to drink water Jessi?” Tiffany looked at the girl in front of her quizzically.

 

They were watching some show at Jessica’s bedroom when Jessica told her she’ll go downstairs to drink water. It was already ten minutes since Jessica left her room and she was about to follow suit when Jessica burst inside the room.

 

“Here!” Instead of answering Tiffany’s question, Jessica grabbed Tiffany’s hand and gave her the reason why it took her ten minutes downstairs, and it’s definitely not a glass of water.

 

Tiffany is holding a pink flower vase with three full grown sunflowers inside of it.

 

“I’ve noticed that they’re already big and auntie said it’s okay to pick them.”

 

“You picked this for me?” Tiffany shifted her gaze from the flowers back to Jessica.

 

“I – They’re pretty so I picked them!” Jessica nervously said. Her eyes locked on the flowers.

 

“You’re so cute Jessi.”

 

Jessica knew what that phrase meant. She braced herself for the oncoming pinch from Tiffany. But instead of little fingers, she felt something soft and warm touch her cheek. Her eyes widen when she figured out what just happened. She lifted her gaze and saw Tiffany looking at her innocently.

 

“Something wrong Jessi?”

 

“Nothing! Hey it’s nap time!” Jessica hurriedly tucked herself on her bed and closed her eyes.
 

Tiffany laughed lightly. She placed the flower vase gently on Jessica’s nightstand and slowly climbed up the bed, snuggling close to the other girl and hushed, “Thank you Jessi.”

--

a/n: i wrote this after playing with my little cousins :D the title is lame, i know hahaha i'm currenty writing a second part for this though i'm not sure when will i be able to finish it because of school projects >___<
Welcome new subscribers~ Thank You for reading and have a nice day everyone! <3