A Day at the Beach

The KriSoo Family

Kyungsoo was woken up by a loud crash and then yelling. He got up quickly and threw on his robe, walking quietly out of the room. His husband was still asleep, but that was to be expected. Yifan could sleep like the dead after a long day of work. Kyungsoo found his second oldest in the kitchen with one of the twins, a broken glass in between them.

 

“I told you not to touch that! Why are you so stupid Jongin?” Baekhyun asked angrily. Jongin was crying and Baekhyun was grabbing the young boy's arm. Kyungsoo sighed heavily. Baekhyun hadn't been taking to the foster kids well, although Jongdae didn't like them all that much either. At least Jongdae's method was to just avoid them. This wasn't the first time Baekhyun had gotten hostel with Jongin or Zitao.

 

“Baekhyun, let go of him,” Kyungsoo said sternly. Baekhyun looked at his father, still looking annoyed.

 

“He broke my favorite glass!” Baekhyun shouted.

 

“What the hell is with all the yelling?” Minseok asked, rubbing his eyes. For the first time since getting up Kyungsoo looked at the clock. It was two thirty in the morning. Kyungsoo sighed again and lifted Jongin into his arms.

 

“Minseok, would you be a dear and clean up the glass?”Kyungsoo asked. Minseok just nodded and grabbed the broom, starting to clean up the mess. “Now will someone tell me what happened?”

 

“Jongin woke up wanting a glass of water. He woke me up asking for help and I told him to hang on. The next thing I knew I hear him dropping and breaking my favorite glass,” Baekhyun explained with his arms crossed.

 

“Is that how it happened Jongin?” Kyungsoo asked gently, bouncing the small boy slightly.

 

“Baekkie wouldn't get up so I was gonna get it myself. I didn't mean to drop it,” Jongin replied with a hiccup.

 

“He's a liar! I was going to get up!” Baekhyun shouted.

 

“Baekhyun, stop yelling. Your brothers are still asleep you know.” Baekhyun just pouted angrily and Kyungsoo heard more crying coming from the the twins' room. Zitao must have woken up and found Jongin gone. “Go back to bed. Now.” Baekhyun started to grumble under his breath, but walked to his room without a fight. Kyungsoo carried Jongin to his room, finding Yixing sitting with Zitao on his lap. Unlike his other two brothers, Yixing loved the twins.

 

“Jonginnie!” Zitao exclaimed, running over to Kyungsoo. He set Jongin down and the two hugged each other, making Kyungsoo's heart hurt a little bit. Originally Kyungsoo had only signed up to take one foster kid, but after seeing the fuss Zitao made after they told him he would have to be separated from his brother he didn't have the heart to split them up. It was moments like these that reminded him that he had made the right choice.

 

“I'm sorry Tao Tao,” Jongin cried. Even when they stopped hugging, they still held each other's hands.

 

“Appa, you should go back to bed. You look tired,” Yixing commented. “I can take care of them until they fall asleep again.”

 

“Thank you Yixing,” Kyungsoo replied with a smile. He walked out of the room and noticed that Minseok was already finished cleaning up and back in his room. He went back to his room and took off the robe, crawling back under the covers. Yifan immediately wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo, surprising him slightly.

 

“What was that all about?” Yifan asked, his voice muffled by the blanket.

 

“Jongin wanted water and broke Baekhyun's glass,” Kyungsoo replied.

 

“I told that kid not to leave his things where the twins can get to,” Yifan commented.

 

“I know. Sometimes I think he does it on purpose just for an excuse to yell at them,” Kyungsoo said with a sigh. Yifan looked up at his husband and kissed him reassuringly.

 

“It'll be alright. Hey, how about since we've got the whole family together, why don't we go to the beach?” Yifan suggested.

 

“You think we can do that? Don't you have to work?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Henry owes me a favor, I'm sure I could get him to cover for me tomorrow plus tomorrow is Friday. We can take the van and Joonmyeon's car so the triplets can ride with us and the twins with Joonmyeon. I'm sure Minseok will want to ride with Joonmyeon as well. We'll pack a lunch and have a cookout for dinner.” Yifan's plans sounded ideal, but Kyungsoo was still skeptical.

 

“You think Joonmyeon will go for that? All he's talked about since he came home from University is how close he is to finishing his book,” Kyungsoo asked. Yifan reached over and kissed Kyungsoo's forehead.

 

“I'm sure even the great writer Joonmyeon needs to get out once and a while. We'll talk about it over breakfast. If it goes over well we'll pack up and head out,” Yifan replied. Kyungsoo nodded and snuggled into his husband's chest. He felt the older man chuckle as he wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo.

 

~+~+~

 

Morning was as hectic as usual. To keep things simple Kyungsoo made eggs and toast for everyone. The triplets and twins were up before Kyungsoo and Minseok came out of his room shortly after hearing breakfast being made. Joonmyeon looked like he had been up for a while, writing probably. Baekhyun was picking on the twins, Yixing was trying to get him to stop while comforting the twins, Jongdae was as zombie like as he always was in the mornings, and Minseok was lost in the clouds.

 

“So how would everyone feel about going to the beach?” Kyungsoo jumped at Yifan's voice behind him. He didn't even realize he came into the kitchen. The usually noisy table fell silent and everyone looked up.

 

“Really? Like, today?” Baekhyun asked excitedly. Yifan nodded. “Then let's go!”

 

“Can Luhan come?” Minseok asked automatically.

 

“Yeah, that's fine. You should probably call-” Kyungsoo was cut off by Minseok racing to his room. Kyungsoo looked confused since he had been on his phone at the table. He peered out of the kitchen and saw Luhan coming out of Minseok's room while putting on a t-shirt. “Minseok! What have I told you about your boyfriend sleeping over night without permission?”

 

“Sorry Appa, he had another argument with his parents and had no where else to go,” Minseok replied. Kyungsoo sighed. Even though the boys being homoual never bothered Kyungsoo or Yifan, Luhan's parents were slightly more old fashioned. “We didn't do anything I swear.”

 

“Fine, just let us know next time. I don't care if you have to wake me up,” Kyungsoo answered. Minseok just smiled and nodded. He went back into the kitchen and looked at his oldest. “I know you're busy with you book, but we really can't fit everyone in the van and it would be really nice if you would come to.”

 

“Sure, that's fine. I need a little bit of a break anyway,” Joonmyeon replied with a smile. Kyungsoo sighed in relief.

 

“I guess I'll start making sandwiches for lunch then,” Kyungsoo said. There was a collective cheer from the twins and triplets, even if Jongdae's was still half hearted and tired sounding.

 

“Yay beach! Beach! Beach!” Jongin exclaimed.

 

“Who said you get to come?” Baekhyun snapped. Jongin looked up at Baekhyun with large sad eyes.

 

“Well Baekhyun, if they don't come you're the one staying home to babysit them,” Yifan warned. Baekhyun grumbled and went back to his food. Yixing ruffled Jongin's hair with a smile.

 

Kyungsoo tried to stay on task getting everything ready while making sure Baekhyun didn't torture the twins too much. Yixing was a great help in that aspect since Jongdae stayed in his room. He claimed he was getting ready, but Kyungsoo knew better. He was either sleeping again or just plain avoiding the twins and his brothers. Yifan helped when he could, but he spend most of his time getting the food for dinner packed away. By the time everyone piled into the two vehicles it was almost eleven. The seating arrangements were slightly reversed than Yifan predicted. Luhan, Minseok, and the twins rode in the van with Kyungsoo and Yifan while the triplets rode with Joonmyeon.

 

Minseok and Luhan mainly kept quiet, both of them on their phones with their headphones in. The twins fell asleep against each other and Kyungsoo couldn't help but smile. They were so sweet. And then he remembered they were probably going to be little devils when they woke up. They tended to get over excited with something exciting was happening.

 

The drive only took a half an hour and as soon as both cars were parked their contents were running towards the water. Yixing watched to make sure the twins didn't hurt themselves and Baekhyun was front of the line. He was always a fish, practically living the water whenever he had the chance. Joonmyeon pushed up his glasses as he looked at the water, wearing that expression he gets when he's thinking. Yifan grabbed the rest of the towels the kids didn't grab and the umbrella while Kyungsoo grabbed the cooler.

 

The beach wasn't too crowded today, which was nice. Joonmyeon sat in the sun on his back while Kyungsoo sat underneath the umbrella. Yifan joined Jongdae, Baekhyun, Minseok, and Luhan in their squirt gun battle while Yixing was building a sand castle with the twins. Jongdae went up to Joonmyeon and dumped water on his face with a bucket, causing Joonmyeon to jump up and chase his brother around. It was fairly peaceful until Baekhyun ended up running over the sand castle.

 

“What the hell Baekhyun?” Yixing asked. It took a lot to get Yixing mad at anyone, so this was a sight.

 

“You guys were in the way,” Baekhyun replied stiffly. The twins were crying and Kyungsoo walked over, pulling the boys into his arms.

 

“That's not true. You totally could've avoided us. Why do you always have to be so mean?” Yixing asked standing up.

 

“Shut up, that's not true. There was nothing I could do,” Baekhyun answered defensively.

 

“Baekhyun, we came here to get away from everything. Can't you be nice to the twins just for today?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“No!” Kyungsoo jumped, not expecting him to shout. “I hate them! All they do is whine and cry! You don't spend any time with the rest of us anymore.” Kyungsoo blinked, taken aback.

 

“Baekhyun...is this because you think we pay more attention to them than we do to you?” Kyungsoo asked slowly. Baekhyun got tears in his eyes, which was a rarity for him.

 

“I don't just think it, it's true! Even dad does pays more attention to them! Just the other day I asked for help on my homework and he told me he would. Only after he just started to help for a little bit Zitao came in and said he needed help. Dad took no time in getting up and helping him. And you know what? He forgot about me! He never came back! Everyone else was busy, so I ended up failing! And I bet you guys didn't even know that!” Baekhyun stopped and wiped his eyes roughly with his arm. Kyungsoo just got up and wrapped his arms around Baekhyun, pulling him in close. Baekhyun buried his face into Kyungsoo's shoulder, not wanting the rest of the world to see him cry.

 

“Did you know about this?” Yifan whispered to Yixing behind Kyungsoo.

 

“Yeah, but he made us swear not to tell anyone. I figured you guys would find out eventually when the school called to tell you about his grades,” Yixing replied back.

 

“Appa,” Baekhyun sniffled. “Why don't you care about us anymore? They're not even really family.” Kyungsoo pulled away and kept his hands on Baekhyun's shoulders, squeezing them reassuringly.

 

“I do care about you. Both of us do. But you're almost ten years older than the twins. I just thought since you boys were so big you didn't need us as much anymore. I'm sorry I was wrong,” Kyungsoo answered gently. He reached over and wiped a few tears away from Baekhyun's face. “I never meant for it to seem like I cared about the twins more than you or any of your brothers. Both Yifan and I still plan on coming to your swim meet next Thursday.”

 

“You remembered about that?” Baekhyun asked, almost shocked.

 

“Of course we did. Yifan even took off of work for it. Did you honestly think we would forget about the first meet of the season?” Kyungsoo asked with a small smile. Baekhyun lowered his head, obviously thinking they did forget. “Don't worry, you're still the top of the triangle.” Baekhyun raised his head and smiled at Kyungsoo. “Now go play. And please be nice to the twins. We're all they have right now.”

 

“Okay Appa,” Baekhyun replied. Kyungsoo went back to sitting under the umbrella, watching everyone play. Yifan eventually joined him, wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo.

 

“Did you really forget to go back to Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo asked, looking up at the bigger man.

 

“No, but that was the day Zitao was sick. I didn't have a chance to get back to him before bed time,” Yifan replied kissing the top of Kyungsoo's head.

 

“I see.” Kyungsoo sighed slightly and rested his cheek against Yifan's bare chest. “I guess we'll just have to try harder to pay attention to everyone.”

 

“It'll be fine Soo.” Kyungsoo smiled up at Yifan and they just watched the others. At around sunset Yifan started the small grill and Kyungsoo set up the food. There were no more issues with the twins and Baekhyun throughout dinner and when Yifan announced it was time to leave there was a collective groan. Reluctantly everyone piled into the cars, this time with the twins in Joonmyeon's car and the triplets in the back of the van. Minseok and Luhan kept their spots in the van.

 

It wasn't long until most of everyone was asleep. Kyungoo glanced back and smiled slightly. Yixing's head was against the window, his hoodie used as a makeshift pillow. Jongdae was sleeping against Yixing, his head on the other's shoulder. Minseok and Luhan were asleep sitting upright, their hands connected in the space between them. The only one awake was Baekhyun.

 

“Appa?”

 

“Yes?” Kyungsoo answered.

 

“Do you think we can go to the beach again sometime so I can teach the twins how to swim?” Baekhyun asked quietly.

 

“Sure, sounds good,” Kyungsoo replied with a smile. Baekhyun smiled back slightly and leaned back. It took about five minutes for Baekhyun to fall asleep with the rest of them, his head leaning straight back.

 

“Well that seemed like a successful trip,” Yifan mused quietly.

 

“I'll say. Thank you Yifan,” Kyungsoo replied. Yifan glanced over and took Kyungsoo's hand in his.

 

“All in a days work for being the best husband and dad ever.” Kyungsoo chuckled and leaned his head back, just staring out the window. Things could only get better from here.