Up To The Very End

Just As I Promised

 

Ok Taecyeon is known as a bully in their university. Every once in a while he would always get involved in a fight. He almost got kicked out from his school because of his intolerable behavior but because of his family’s connection, the university always gives him a chance. On his second year in college, a very beautiful girl named Im Yoona entered the university. She was in the same class as him. Taecyeon fell in love with her the moment he saw her. But falling in love with Yoona didn’t stop him from his old traits. He still uses fights as a solution for misunderstandings. Yoona came to know about Taecyeon being a bully in their school, but she didn’t easily judge him by listening to other people. At first, she didn’t want to believe that he’s a trouble maker because Taecyeon was always nice to her. She only believed what her friends say when Taecyeon came to class, one day, all bruised up. In spite of knowing Taecyeon’s troubler personality, she’s still close to Taecyeon. One day, Taecyeon mustered all of his courage to confess to Yoona, to tell her how much he loves her.

“Yoona, I want to tell you something” said the nervous Taecyeon.

“Huh? What is it?” asked Yoona who was putting her books in her locker.

“Hhmm. Not here. Can we go to the new coffee shop nearby? It’s just two blocks away from here.”

“Okay. I’ll just tell Yuri unnie and the others to go without me.”

Yoona flashed Taecyeon a smile before running to her friends. Taecyeon felt that his knees got weaker as he saw that glimmering smile of Yoona.  He never felt so nervous before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“Unnie, go home without me. Taecyeon wants me to go with him at the cafeteria.” Yoona told her friends that were waiting for her in the corridor.

 “Mwoh? What does he want?” asked the surprised Taeyeon.

“No idea. But he looks really serious.” Yoona shrugged her shoulders.

“Yoong, you can’t go with him. You know how dangerous it is to be with Taecyeon. What if he gets involved in a fight again? Something bad might also happen to you” said Yuri who grabbed Yoona by her shoulders.

“Yuri ah, don’t be like that. Taecyeon won’t do anything to Yoona” said Tiffany who is also close to Taecyeon.

“By the way, where are you guys going?” asked Sooyoung.

“Oh, in the new coffee shop just nearby our university” answered Yoona.

“See guys? They’re not going anywhere far? That’s just two blocks away from here so I’m sure nothing will happen” said Tiffany.

“Uhm. Okay. But be safe Yoong” said Yuri.

“And if ever he gets involved in a fight again, don’t ever let yourself get engaged” said Taeyeon who was also worrying for her dongsaeng.

“Arasso unnie. I’ll see you guys tomorrow!” Yoona waved her hand before going back to Taecyeon.

Yoona then ran back to Taecyeon who was just a few meters away from them. Taecyeon overheard the girls’ conversation and felt sad after seeing that the girls don’t trust him.

“It seems like your friends don’t want you to come with me” said Taecyeon who is a little bit disappointed after over hearing what the girls said.

“Anniyo. Don’t mind them. Shall we?” comforted Yoona.

“Arasso.” Taecyeon felt relieved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“So. What do you want to tell me?” asked Yoona after the waiter served their orders.

“Uhmm.” Taecyeon took a sip on his coffee. “Yoona, I want to tell you that…….ever since I saw you in your first day at the university, I already admired you.”

“What does that mean?” said Yoona who seem not so surprised.

“You may not believe me but…I fell in love with you when I first saw you.” Taecyeon answered while trying to hide his nervousness.

“Are you serious?” said Yoona, still displaying the same expression.

“Never been this serious in my whole life.” Taecyeon answered with much sincerity.

“What made you think that you deserve my love? I mean, you always get involved in fights. You’re just too sensitive. You think beating others up is the answer to all your problems.”

“Yoona, me being a bully has nothing to do with my feelings for you. Please give me a chance” said Taecyeon hoping that Yoona would still accept him despite of being a bully.

“But what if I accepted you and then you got involved in a fight again? Something bad might also happen to me. I mean, your enemies might hurt me.”

“I won’t let that happen Yoona. I promise you, I will protect you from all dangers. You won’t get involved in my own issues. I will never let anyone harm you. And if ever that happens, I will never forgive myself Yoona.” Taecyeon said, while leaning closer to Yoona trying to convince her.

Yoona heaved sigh and rested her back in the chair. “You better keep your promise then” said Yoona and she took a sip from her frappuccino.

Taecyeon’s eyes grew wide. “Does that mean, you are saying yes?” he asked with so much excitement from his voice.

Yoona just nodded and then she flashed him a warm smile. Taecyeon couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “Yes!” Taecyeon shouted as loud as he could making all people in the coffee shop turned their heads to them. He then got up from his chair and moved to Yoona and gave her a hug. “Thank you Yoona! You just made me the happiest person on Earth. Saranghae!” Taecyeon told Yoona, ignoring all the people that were staring at them.

“Saranghae.” Yoona said while patting Taecyeon’s back. I never thought you would do that Taecyeon. Actually, the first time I saw you, I also fell in love with you at that instant, thought Yoona.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been five months since Yoona and Taecyeon started dating. At first, her friends won’t accept their relationship because they think that Yoona being close to Taecyeon is the same as being close to danger. But as they came to know more about Taecyeon, they saw how sincere he is and how much he loves Yoona as much as Yoona loves him, so they just agreed with their relationship. During those five months, Taecyeon held on to his promise. Yoona never experienced any harm. But despite Yoona being safe, Taecyeon still didn’t stop being a trouble maker. Yoona kept on telling him not to fight back but because of his pride he just can’t stop. Yoona grew tired of this so she decided to confront Taecyeon right after he got into a fight again.

“When will you stop this? Do you think fighting back is the solution for every misunderstanding? Why don’t you just settle everything with talkings?” asked the furious Yoona while putting bandages and creams to Taecyeon’s bruises.

“I’m sorry” he said, his head bent down, refusing to meet Yoona’s eyes.

“I’m not tolerating this anymore Ok Taecyeon. I’m tired, let’s break up” said Yoona as she put the last bandage in Taecyeon’s wound, while trying to hold back her tears.

“No. Yoona, don’t leave me. I’m really sorry. Please give me one more chance” said Taecyeon as he cupped Yoona’s face.

Yoona moved Taecyeon’s hand away from her face and stood up. “I really can’t let this happen anymore. I’m growing tired of the troubles you are making----”

“No Yoona. I promise! This would be the last time that I fight. Please. Just one more chance, I really PROMISE not to fight back anymore.” Taecyeon pleaded as held Yoona’s wrist. Yoona didn’t answer. Taecyeon turned her around and gave her a tight hug. “Please Yoona, just this once. I really PROMISE this time, no matter what happens, I won’t fight back anymore. Please!”

“This will be your last chance Ok Taecyeon. After this, there will be no more” said Yoona as he rested her head on Taecyeon’s chest while wiping her tears away.

“Thank you Yoona. Saranghaeyo” said Taecyeon as he planted a kiss on Yoona’s forehead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks have passed. During those three weeks, Taecyeon didn’t have any fight. Yoona was so happy that Taecyeon held on to his promise. Everything was going on well until the most unexpected day that changed their lives came.

“Taecyeon…Taecyeon..why aren’t you answering your phone? You didn’t even go to school today” Yoona said to herself while trying to dial Taecyeon’s phone again. She’s really anxious now. She has been walking on the school grounds for the past 10 minutes while clutching her phone. Taecyeon is not answering his phone and didn’t even show up in class without giving any word to Yoona that he won’t be able to come to class that day. Yoona put the phone impatiently beside her phone again as she said, “where could you be Taecyeon? Please, pick up!”

“Yoona! Yoona!”shouted Tiffany who was running towards her.

“Omo! Unnie! You startled me! What’s wrong!?” asked the shocked Yoona.

“You need to come with me. Taecyeon is in a critical condition” Tiffany said in a hurry.

“Mwo!? What on earth happened!?” Yoona was so surprised with what Tiffany said, she didn’t even notice that a tear escaped from her eye.

“There’s no more time! Just come with me!” said Tiffany who grabbed Yoona’s hand as she started running again.

Taecyeon got involved in a fight again for the last time. He’s seriously injured and is in a critical condition. On their way to the hospital, Yoona can’t stop herself from crying because of Taecyeon’s condition and because of the thought that Taecyeon broke his promise to her. The two of them reached the hospital in 20 minutes and ran to the ICU to check on Taecyeon. As they arrived at the ICU, Yoona forced herself not to cry. The doctor let Yoona in but warned her that Taecyeon is badly injured.  Yoona walked in the ICU with very little steps. She’s really afraid to see Taecyeon in a bad condition. Walking in a small room took Yoona forever. Yoona finally made it inside the ICU. She saw Taecyeon lying helpless in the bed with an oxygen tube in his mouth to support his breathing. Yoona can’t help but cry seeing Taecyeon’s pitiful condition. She walked beside Taecyeon and held his hand. Taecyeon twitched his finger as he felt that someone is holding it. He opened his eyes slowly and found Yoona kneeling beside him. He smiled as he saw Yoona and he weakly moves his hand up to hold Yoona’s face. Taecyeon slowly removed the oxygen in his mouth and tried his best to give Yoona his warmest smile.

“What are you doing? Put that oxygen back to your mouth.” Yoona pushed the oxygen back to Taecyeon’s mouth but he grabbed Yoona’s wrist and stopped her.

“Yoona…don’t..cry.. I..I hate..to..see you…cry..” Taecyeon weakly said as he wiped Yoona’s tears away with his thumb.

“What on earth happened to you again?” Yoona’s sobbing turned into hard cryings again. “Look at you, the strong Ok Taecyeon is lying weakly on this hospital bed. You broke your promise Ok Taecyeon.”

“Ann..iyo..I…held in…to…my ..promise..till..the..end..” Taecyeon caressed Yoona’s face.

“If you kept your promise, what are you doing here?” Yoona asked while her unstoppable tears flowed down her cheeks.

“Saranghae Yoona” Taecyeon managed to say it straight. “Always…take..good care…of..your..self..huh? my…baby..”

“What are you saying Taecyeon?” Yoona asked, gripping Taecyeon’s hand.

Taecyeon flashed Yoona a smile. “I’m..over….I’ve..been..causing..troubles..all….my….life..but----”

Yoona cut Taecyeon off, “Put that oxygen on your mouth now. Don’t talk anymore”

Taecyeon was firm. His breathing got heavier and heavier. Yoona’s really vexed now seeing Taecyeon catch his breath.

“Yoona..I’ve…been..a mess…but I’m….happy..because..I..was….able..to..hold on…to..my..promise..I..did. what…you..wanted..me…to do..I didn’t..fight back.. Goodbye..Yoona---” With that, Taecyeon lost his breath and the lifeline went straight. Yoona was dumbfounded as she watched Taecyeon close his eyes forever and fall into an endless sleep.

It was the end. Everything happened unexpectedly. On his way to school, Taecyeon met a gang that he once fought and they beat him to death. They beat him until he was catching for his breath and couldn’t move his body anymore. Taecyeon did what Yoona asked him to do. He just held on to his promise and let the gang beat him up because he doesn’t want to disappoint Yoona anymore. Even in the end, Taecyeon, not even once, broke his promise to Yoona. With that, he died happily keeping his very words to Yoona.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay! It's done. I got this concept from a text message too long ago. Hope you love it XD