Finale.

Years of Love.

They were in school together, that was all Tao could remember. They spent a long time knowing each other. 

They met in school. Two lonely, introverted kids wanting someone to speak to them, even if it was only during break or lunch.

Zitao was the only Chinese boy in his class. He was also darker than a lot of the kids, so he stood out. The other kids used to look at him weirdly when he was taken out of class to study Korean with the other teacher. It wasn't Zitao's fault, Korean was a new language to him and he was still unused to honourifics and pronounciation. 

Sehun, Oh Sehun. He was quiet. Even at his young age, he knew how to glare at people and get his point across without words. He separated himself from the rest so as to not get mixed up with the other hooligans. The small boy took a liking to Zitao when he found the other boy curled up in the corner of the playground underneath the big oak tree playing with his Power Rangers quietly or reading his book alone, because his mummy said he could only bring his toys once or twice a week. Sehun also had a little lisp that made it difficult to pronounce Zitao's name well and so he shortened it, to a three lettered name, Tao.  

"Why are you sitting here?" Sehun asked, lisp obvious because at that age no one cared. Sehun had a cute bowl cut at the time, his skin was extremely pale and his teachers used to complain that he may as well be a bag of bones because he was so skinny, despite the amount of food he enjoyed to eat at break and lunch.

"I-I-" Zitao was astounded to be suddenly confronted in Korean by a boy with a lisp that to formulate a reply in another language took some consideration, "I... like it here...?" he said nervously and slowly, terrified that he might have said the wrong thing.

"Why?" by then, Sehun was sitting in front of Zitao, legs brought up to his chest. 

"Because... Korean... is hard..." the other boy answered slowly, words processed carefully, as he hugged his book tighter to his chest. 

 "I can teach you Korean, I'm smart," Sehun said proudly, chest puffing out on instinct to prove his statement, "My name is Oh Sehun, what is yours?"

"Huang Zitao," the Chinese boy mumbled.

"Let's be friends, SheeTao." Sehun smiled for once, the gap in his teeth awfully evident as he bared that occasional grin towards Tao.

Seven years, Tao remembers. 

They had known each other for seven years. Joined by the hip, one might even say. Their goodbyes were unexpected. 

However, it still happened.

How did they, at such a young age, become so close? Tao himself could not remember. 

 

He couldn't even remember at what stage in their friendship he had fallen for the other boy. 

 

--

 

It was difficult at that age, he was only beginning to unravel who he truly was. His limbs were growing, his voice deepening and his thoughts changing, twisting and turning in ways he could not imagine. He was caught up in mapping out his personality - his true self that he would show to others. 

But Oh Sehun said he liked him too and they shared a kiss. It was strange to kiss a boy, but Zitao found himself to like it a lot because it was so sweet.

So, it happened. Their bonds became tighter, their trust with each other became stronger. The two depended on each other, bearing the weight of the other, holding the other and understanding each other. It was the best they could do.

Tao remembered when Sehun had coloured his hair, blonde, at first. Tao had clapped and cheered at the colour, complimenting the pale of Sehun's skin. The blush when he heard the compliment made him look beautiful too. It might have earned Sehun some stares, but Tao didn't care. Tao knew that Sehun belonged to him. 

It took a while before Tao was persuaded and he dyed his hair. His first colour was red, a luscious rich wine. When he entered the school, heads turned, compliments were passed, and Tao took them in gratefully. The look in Sehun's eyes was different- it looked, annoyed. That confused Tao, because funnily enough, it was Sehun's idea to colour his hair such shade.

Whatever the reason, Tao decided to ignore it.

The days went on, studying was inevitable, extra curricular activities continued.

 

--

 

Tao wondered if it was all a plan; but people have told him that saying goodbye was painful.

During the day Oh Sehun suggested they break up, Tao didn't have the time to feel. He thought, maybe it was best. Maybe to stay composed was the best thing to do. 

So he dived into his studies, he busied his brain, and rid his heart of pain by spending as much time as he could studying. Oh Sehun had said his goodbyes at the peak of the exam period after all.

It was his last year of school, so he was going to do his best. 

 

--

 

When he received his results, he was satisfied. 

But he cried. 

The time that had passed had made Tao realised just how much he needed Sehun with him.  He found himself curled on his bed, whimpering, crying for Sehun to stop the pain in his chest.

But Sehun wasn't there anymore, and Tao was worried he might never come back. Score that, Tao had come to terms that Sehun wasn't going to come back and he had to tolerate it.

And with quivering lips, he glanced at Sehun's last message.

Have a good day :)

He refused to reply.

 

--

 

During their graduation, they surprisingly managed to make little chat, about little things. They had made a promise beforehand to try remain as friends even though they were broken.

But every word Sehun whispered to Tao only served to break his heart further and further. 

Tao dealt with it though, he smiled back, made comments in return, giggled when Sehun's remark was funny- the whole nine yards, really. He refused to let Sehun know that his heart hurt without his presence, that his whole being had become accustomed to Sehun and how he thought Sehun felt that way too.

Maybe it was his pride. 

 

--

 

At first they were only friends, next they knew, they were lovers.

They were friends who could trust each other, help each other and talk to each other. Just, slightly closer than they ever were before.

 

--

 

Tao had to move on, though. He had to consider that he was going to university. 

He was going alone. Sehun wasn't by his side anymore.

And yes it did hurt, but there was nothing he could do about it.

 

--

 

During the three years away from Sehun, Tao tried to relieve himself of the other boy. Oh how he tried. 

They continued to keep in touch, though. A promise neither of the two seemed to want to break- to remain as friends. 

Even if Tao had found someone else, and was sure he was in love, if he was sad, the first person he'd call would be Sehun. 

Sehun would answer, but Tao didn't need words to explain to Sehun. It was a wordless phone call, as tear after tear slipped down the expanse of Tao's face. Sehun understood, he'd be on the phone, ushering soft words of comfort, promising Tao that whatever he was going through was going to get better, that he shouldn't give up now.

 

--

 

They were seated across each other in a cafe, Tao's current blue hair slowly fading as the black roots settled and speckled his hair. Sehun looked nice with his hair silver, Tao mentioned with a smile, as he sipped his coffee: Americano, one sugar, dash of milk. 

Sehun laughed, thanking him, and Tao thought his eyes looked lovely when he laughed. They disappeared into upturned crescents, laugh lines creasing the sides. 

The laughter died down slowly, and Tao glanced at Sehun. He wanted to say it out loud, oh how he did. But something inside him was holding him back.

Sehun, I hope you meet a good person.

 

--

 

They met again, and this time Tao mindlessly asked Sehun if he still liked him; a desperate hope that Sehun would say yes.

Sehun blinked and shrugged, his usual answer to a lot of things. This time, Sehun looked different when he glanced at the time and disappeared out of the cafe door, mumbling things about another meeting with someone else, sorry.

Tao was left to think by himself. Stupid mouth.

 

--

 

He knew, oh he knew. 

They had the most pure love. 

But, back then, they thought that that kind of love could never be done again. That their love wasn't meant to be that way.

The love they had seemed unreal. 

So they decided to save it in their memories, preserve it, because it was never meant to happen that way. 

 

--

 

Tao found himself at dinner with Sehun. In a quiet restaurant, softly lit by small lights on the walls. 

Sehun had dyed his hair again, bleached blonde, originally having a pink-ish tint apparently. Yet, Sehun complimented Tao's new hair colour, the dirty blonde shade suited him apparently. Tao didn't mention that he dyed it to match his boyfriend (Kris Wu), who insisted.

Sehun and Tao had become closer again, and so the latter was hopeful. Things could be stitching up the way they should be. 

"Tao, I just felt this need to tell you something." Sehun began, as he slowly cut through his steak. 

Tao answered to his name, glancing up from his own steak and salad, with a small smile, "And what might that something be?" His voice had gotten softer as the years dragged on, Tao never finding the need to raise his voice often. 

"Tao, I'm getting married." 

Tao felt himself stiffen, and for a few moments, he was silent. He was unsure how to answer. 

"Oh. Wow, Sehun, congratulations," Tao said, maybe half a beat too fast, with a strained smile "Who's the lucky person?"

"His name is Lu Han, he's an amazing person." 

"If he looks after you and keeps you happy, I'm happy for you, Sehun." Tao forced his lips to quirk into another smile.

He was meant to be happy for Sehun, he had found a good person.

When he came home that night, shutting the door to his apartment, he fell speechless. He couldn't even recall when he had taken off his shoes and dressed himself into his sleepwear. Tao simply sat on his bed, cross legged, as he thought. Tao didn't even hear his boyfriend call him, with that single phrase repeating itself, over and over.

His heart hurt, because he was so foolish

He should have known that Sehun was never going to say it again. They were young, they were still understanding themselves, of course it wasn't going to happen again.

But... Sehun's words, they were his last to Tao.

"I'm getting married." rang and rang inside his head until he managed to drown it out for his boyfriend cradled him in his strong arms, humming soft lullabies and let his shirt be dampened by Tao's quiet tears. Tao was comforted only slightly by the fingers gently threading his hair and the mumbles of I love you in his ear.

In all honesty, all Tao wanted to hear was that Sehun loved him.

 

--

 

Tao lost Sehun's contact again. Maybe it was better this way. 

They had known each other for long enough.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's note:

Did you like it? It's not that good, my descriptions are a bit meh, and the vocab is a bit eh and I tried with this plot, but recently they just aren't working. Worst of all, the content is so little, I mean barely 2000 words. 

But if you do like it, please subscribe, comment and/or upvote! It means a lot, and gives me motivation to continue writing :DD

HudaCheesecake xx

P.S. You should probably check out my other stories because this isn't as good as some others. siGHS.