Chapter 15

Lethal Love

Joe arrived at the station and met up with Ron and Bosco at the entrance. "How did it go with Kevin Cheng?"

Ron shook his head. "Nothing suspicious."

Bosco rubbed his head in frustration. "Even though I can't prove it now but my instincts tell me that he's our man."

Joe looked gravely at Bosco. "We cannot put personal feelings into our cases. I know that there is something between the two of you, but as I mentioned, we have to have an open mind."

"I understand. I will let the facts lead me to the murderer."

Nodding with approval, Joe patted him on the back. "That's what I expect of you and from everyone on my team."

Ron put his arm around Bosco's shoulder. "Can you tell me what happened between the two of you?"

"I'd rather not. But its not me personally but my best friend."

"But what happened?" Ron contined. "Is it over a woman? Money?"

Joe stopped Ron from asking further. "Ron, assemble the crew for a meeting in an hour."

"Ok. But why an hour?" Ron asked since their entire group were already at the quad room.

Joe turned a somber look on Ron. "I have something very important to do before our meeting."

===========================================================

Charmaine opened her eyes and found herself in bed inside an unfamiliar room. She rolled to her side, snuggling further into the cocoon warmth of the comforter. Her head didn't ache as much but still felt extremely hot. felt dry and she tried to swallow but it hurts. She heard the creak of a door opening and with heavy lids, turned to see who it was.

Walking steadily towards her, Raymond put the tray down on the bedside table. "Are you feeling better?" he asked with concern.

Still lying down she peeped up at him and asked quietly. "Is this your room?"

Smiling, he said, "Yes. I didn't want to enter your apartment without your consent." He winked at her. "I'm a law abiding member of society so therefore I can't break the law."

With her eyes drooping, she muttered, "Thanks for taking care of me."

Raymond stared intently at her and quietly said, "I would take care of you for as long as you want me to." When he didn't get any response from her, Raymond boldy said, "I hope you would give me a chance."

Charmaine opened her eyes fully and met his gaze. "I'm sorry but you're not the one for me. Its best that I'm honest with you so that you won't waste any more time on me."

Raymond felt a tightening in his chest from her words. He would never admit how her words affected him. Smiling despite the grim mood that he's in, he said, "I understand. Can we at least be friends?"

Charmaine smiled weakly and said, "Yes. That would be nice." She looked at the tray that he brought in. "So is that for me?"

Laughing, Raymond slid the tray onto the bed. "I made some soup for you. Its the right temperature for you to drink."

Charmaine looked warily at the bowl of soup and lifted an eyebrow at him, "You can cook?"

Raymond gave her a boyish grin. "Yes I can." When Charmaine continued to eye the soup he admitted, "All right. My aunt made it."

Smiling, Charmaine asked, "Can you pass me the soup then?"

===========================================================

Joe knocked on Jessica's office door and waited to be called in. "Hi," he said. "Are you busy?"

Jessica smiled sofly at him. "Not at this moment. Come in. Have a seat."

Joe sat down and removed the box from his coat pocket, holding it enclosed in his two hands. "I know your birthday is coming up and I wanted to give you this before your party."

Jessica nodded, unsure of how to respond to that.

Joe placed the box on her desk and looked up briefly at her before looking shyly away. "This is your birthday present," he said softly as he moved the box towards her.

Jessica stared at the box. "You want me to open it now?"

Joe nodded his response.

Jessica took the box and slowly undid the ribbon and remove the lid. Inside was a velvet jewelry box. With uncertainty, she looked at him and saw his wide grin of encouragement. She lifted the lid and inside, nestled in a bed of white silk was a beautiful rose pendant. It was the most lovely piece of jewelry that she had ever seen. She had never expected such a gift from him. She the pendant and looked up at him, meeting his gaze. "Its beautiful," she whispered.

Joe watched her and asked, "Do you like it then?"

Holding his gaze, Jessica smiled and said, "I love it."

Getting up from his chair, Joe walked behind her and took the necklace out from the box. He undid the clasp and placed the necklace around her neck. When he was done, he took a step back to admire it. "It suits you."

Jessica took his hand in hers. "Thank you for such a beautiful gift."

Joe's heart started to beat faster at her touch. He stared at her and squeezed her hand. "So does that mean you will accept the gift?" He hope she would understand the double meaning in his question.

Jessica knew what he was asking. He wanted to know whether she would accept him. Elated, Jessica said, "Yes. I accept the gift and...," she stared intently at him, "... and you."