Just Another Realistic Cliche (Dream Come True)

Just Another Realistic Cliche (Dream Come True)

Sung Ah’s P.O.V

 

I wonder how are they doing right now?

 

That question suddenly popped up on my mind after years of not seeing them. True to what I had said over Rihyo when I left, I really transferred school the very next day. I asked my parents to leave my school address to privacy and I even discarded my old number. I changed my e-mails and all connection that will connect me to them.

 

It was hard at first, but I have to go on. Besides, the world would never stop because I am broken hearted so I guess I have to move on too.

 

I entered an all-girls school to finish my senior years; had my college life abroad and finished fashion design and now I am working on one of the few famous companies to let the word know my name and my designs.

 

But after all these years, they had just popped into my mind all of the sudden. Being occupied on my work made me forget about that incident that happened years way back. But why now? Is this an apparition that something will happen? But I am not that ready, I mean even after all those years I can’t get over that issue.

 

“Sung-Ah,” a voice called me back to reality. I turned my head to see my co-worker, Shin Ha Ni waving a folder to me.

“What’s that?” I asked, standing up to get near her table.

“Haven’t you got your assignment for the month? The boss had given them,” she replied.

“Oh, then I guess I have to get mine too. Thanks,” I smiled and proceed to get to our boss’ office.

 

After getting my assignment, I checked my watch. It’s already five thirty, time to go home. I went back to my desk to get my other things before leaving our department holding my folder.

 

When I got outside the building, the cold wind blew over me making me pull my coat closely. ‘I have to drop by at the café house for a warm drink,’ I mentally noted and started to walk on the busy sideways. I decided to look over my assignment.

 

*BOGSH*

 

Paper bags and other stuffs got scattered in front of me and another lady. Out of instinct, I started to help her pick her things. There are many of them that it took us a while to gather them all up. I dusted myself after I get up and handed her the bags. The lady stared at me, trying to look at me closely.

 

“Sung Ah?” she asked which startled me. I looked at her closely, trying to recollect the faces I have known before.

All of the sudden, she hugged me tightly, “It’s me Rihyo!” she exclaimed letting go of all her bags. Surprise, longing, and all kinds of emotion made me speechless. Then, I felt and heard her sob. I reached to hug her closer feeling tears falling down from my eyes.

“I missed you so much! How are you? Where have you been all this time? What happened?” she rambled before she parted. I wiped the tears from her face. The pain before had been long gone. All I feel right now is the love and care from her hug.

 

“I am doing fine, how about you? How are the two of you?” I asked, smiling at her.

“Let’s stay at the sides, there are many people passing by. Our apartment is just around the corner, why not come with me?” she offered, as I helped her bring her bags.

“Maybe next time, I have to start my monthly assignment. As much as I want,” I squeezed her hand.

“Oh, really? We’ll then, maybe next time,” she sighed.

“How is he?” I asked, feeling my heart start to tear again.

“Oh, well he is so sweet and all. After we got married, he brought me along with him and now we are staying at our own place. Both of us got a job and we are doing fine now,” she smiled dreamily from afar. ‘Typical Rihyo,’ I thought feeling a warm smile gracing my lips.

“So the two of you really got married after graduating,” I sighed.

“Oh, yes,” she smiled. She spared me a look, “Wait, are we talking about the same guy?”she asked again.

“What do you mean?” I looked at her with surprise.

“Oh, you must have thought I –“ we were cut short when we heard a voice calling her.

 

“Jagiya!” Both of us turned to look at an approaching guy.

“Oppa!” Rihyo waved excitedly at the guy. I was like, ‘Did Baekhyun had a plastic surgery?’

“I told you to get home earlier. It’s getting cold lately and it is bad for you,” the guy said, enclosing her waist with his arm.

“Oppa, I am doing fine. By the way, I want you to meet my very long lost bestfriend, Hwang Sung Ah,” she gestured over me. I made a polite bow.

“Sung Ah, meet my husband, Do Kyung Soo,” she introduced and smiled affectionately at the guy.

The guy is cute. With round slanted eyes and a heart shaped smile, or should I say lips. He looks so innocent, but the way he looks at Rihyo, you can feel the love and the care radiating. I suddenly felt jealous.

 

“Oppa, I’ll just get her number then we will go home,” she pouted at her husband.

“Why won’t you invite her?” he asked before looking at me.

“She needs to be home for her monthly assignment. Sung Ah, can I get you number so that I can call you later? I have many things to tell you and all,” Rihyo reached for my phone.

I handed hers as I reached for hers. We exchanged numbers. We waved our goodbyes when I remembered the paper bags I am holding.

 

“Rihyo! You forgot your paper bags!” I called over. The couple turned their heads.

“See? I left my paper bags because you are rushing me,” she looked at her husband before she walked back to get the bags.

“Why are you buying baby clothes?” I asked when I handed her the bags.

“Oh, it’s for our cupcake,” she smiled at me. Her husband is already behind her, supporting her.

“Cupcake? Are you opening a pastry shop?” I asked again.

“Oh, no! My husband loves to call me as his muffin and I call him my donut too, so muffin plus donut equals cupcake,” she smiled before she gave an arm hug.

“Take my coat, the cold wind is bad for you and the baby,” her husband took off his coat and made her wear it.

“You are pregnant?” I felt my eyes widened as my jaw drops.

“Oh, yeah. Three months pregnant. Don’t worry, you’re invited on his or her baptismal,” she said for the last time and left me with her husband.

 

After hearing from my bestfriend, I came up with the very obvious question. Where is he now?

I hailed a cab and all through the ride home, I kept on thinking of his possible whereabouts. After dinner, I went up to my room and started working on my monthly assignment.

 

It was around eight when Rihyo called me.

 

(Phone conversation)

Rihyo: Hey there!

Me: I thought you would be in bed by now. (Chuckles)

Rihyo: Yah! I am just pregnant, not totally exhausted or drained!

Me: (laughs) I miss this kind of setting. So how did you meet your husband?

Rihyo: We’ll I met him when we we’re in college. I kind of fell in love at first sight. For four years I had been studying, we had been together because it turns out that he likes me too. Before we graduated, he proposed. We got married a year after then now that we have jobs; we decided to find a place of our own. Then here comes our first cupcake!

Me: But I thought you two will end up together?

Rihyo: That’s what I thought at first, but then he backed out so I backed out too. Both of us tried to look for you. But all that we’ve got is that you studied at an all-girls school.

Me: I am sorry.

Rihyo: You have been forgiven long ago. So how are you?

Me: Not much to tell. I graduated abroad from fashion design, got myself a work and now live on my apartment alone.

Rihyo: That’s all?

Me: Ah! I will be opening a shop of female attires. Come at the opening.

Rihyo: Do you sell maternity dresses there?

Me: I’ll make one for you so that you can’t have any excuses not to come.

(Background: “Jagiya! You have to sleep earlier! Don’t forget to drink your milk.)

Me: Looks like you’re husband wants you to bed now. You better get to sleep earlier for your cupcake.

Rihyo: I hate him sometimes, but sometimes only. I love him all the time. (giggles) Good night then.

Me: Good night.

(End of Phone conversation)

 

Rihyo had herself a loving husband. I went back on to my work so I can get to bed earlier.

 

-*-*-*-*-*-*-

 

The next day

 

I got up earlier. I need to get there so I can proof read my work and submit it to our boss so I can start earlier. After my daily routines, I grabbed my folder and went outside to welcome another day. But the sun is not up and looks like it will rain so made sure I have my umbrella.

 

When I arrived on the company, I joined the queue for the elevator. When it was my turn, the one assisting on the elevator stopped me.

“I’m sorry, but it’s already full. You have to wait,” then the door closes. Talk about bad luck.

I waited for minutes that another four people joined me when the lift came down to get us to our floors.

 

When the door got closed, I checked the other passengers on the aluminum closed elevator doors.

A familiar face on the other employees made me somehow nervous. I felt myself stiffen when he lifts his head to check the floor number. When he looked forward, our eyes met. Shock was both evident on our faces but we made it discreet since there are other people in the lift.

 

One by one, the other employees got off that soon, there are three of us. The one assisting and the two of us.

“Is it still far to get to my floor?” I asked the assisting guy.

“Of course, Miss Sung Ah. You work in the upper floors so it will take a while,” the guy smiled.

I heard him chuckle making my cheeks warm from embarrassment.

“Mister Byun, are you going to meet someone in here?” the guy asked again.

He just smiled in response.

 

‘He is going to meet someone? Who?’ I thought. The familiar ting of the elevator made me sigh in relief. To my shock, both of us moved out of the lift. When the door got closed, I found myself frozen on where I am.

“So you work here too? Where’s your department?” he asked. The very voice I only hear on my dreams before finally came to reality. I turned my head to look at him.

 

He had grown more handsome. I felt my heart flutter again from the way he looks at me. “I guess the world turned out to be smaller than I expected. So where’s your department?” he asked again.

“At the end of the hallway,” I pointed to my right, “Fashion design department,” I added.

“Actually this is not my floor,” he started, rubbing the back of his neck.

I stared back at him. His offer afterwards made me smile back at him. Maybe this will be the start of my dream come true.

 

“Can I ask you out for a coffee after work?”