Final

Sticks and Stones
“Hey diva!”
The shout rang out across the busy hallway and Sungjong sighed. He continued walking forwards towards his locker but before he could open it he felt someone pull him backwards.
“Hey. Queer. I’m talking to you.” Sungjong sighed again and turned around,
“Go away, Nam.” Sungjong hissed. Nam Woohyun just laughed and turned to smirk at his cronies stood behind him.
“You should call me hyung, you know.” Woohyun stated, then he sidled up and placed his hand on Sungjong’s hip, “Or oppa.” He whispered into Sungjong’s ear. Sungjong felt himself burn bright red at the suggestion.
“Come on Woohyun.” A new voice joined the conversation from behind Woohyun, “You’ve teased the kid enough. I think I saw Ahn Daniel eating food from the bins again earlier, let’s go find him.”
 
Sungjong would have felt grateful towards Lee Howon if he wasn’t a total .
 
Sungjong stood tall as he was buffeted by Woohyun and his ‘crew’ as they walked past him, knocking into him one by one. As soon as they were all past and far enough down the corridor Sungjong slumped against his locker and squinted to try and hold back the tears. He didn’t know why he even let himself get bothered by it anymore. This happened every day at the end of classes and it’s not like it was ever a surprise to Sungjong, so why did he always want to cry about it?
 
Sungjong opened his locker and shakily exchanged the books in his bag before heading on the long walk home.
 
----
 
“I’m home!” Sungjong yelled as he entered the house,
“Welcome home, honey,” His stepmother replied from the kitchen. Sungjong dumped his bag and went to greet her and his stepbrother, Sungyeol. The other boy was slumped over the table poring over some homework. “How was school, sweetie?” His mother asked, looking up from the pot she was stirring.
“It was great.” Sungjong lied, avoiding Sungyeol’s eyes. His stepbrother was in the same grade as Lee Howon and Nam Woohyun and knew about their bullying of the younger boy, but Sungjong had told him not to try to stand up for him - Sungyeol was a top grade student and, despite him not being in the popular group, he was also not singled out for any reason. Sungjong didn’t want to ruin Sungyeol’s life as well so he had told him to stay out of it.
 
Sungjong said goodbye to his step mother and went upstairs, opening his laptop up and logging on to the chatroom that he spent his evenings on. He’d first found the page, a forum for teens with troubles, when his parents had divorced and Sungjong had taken it badly and then when his father married Sungyeol’s mother it had really helped to have other people to talk to about it. Recently, Sungjong had found himself gravitating towards the chatrooms for gay teenagers. It wasn’t that Sungjong wanted to meet a special person on there, it’s just that it really helped to have someone who really understood. His family and close friends were supportive but none of them really knew what it was like.
 
Recently, he’d been talking to another boy who was a little over a year older than him. They had met in the group chat and had in the past few days started talking in their own private chat. Sungjong spent most of his nights speaking to the guy that went by the username ‘Purple91’ nowadays, sometimes talking to him until like five in the morning and having to be up for school two hours later. Actually, his conversations with Purple were the only thing getting him through the nightmare called school. They never used names or locations, they just knew each other’s age, Sungjong had no idea where Purple lived or what his real name was. Sungjong logged onto his account and fired a message off to Purple.
 
LemonCandy: Are you online?
 
Sungjong watched the computer for a while and pulled up some homework when Purple didn’t reply. He was halfway through his maths when his computer dinged.
 
Purple91: sorry I was out with my friends. hey.
 
Sungjong immediately discarded his homework for the more interesting task of talking to Purple.
 
LemonCandy: Hey! Have fun?
Purple91: No, my friends are s.
LemonCandy: What have they done now?
Purple91: same as usual, theyre to some poor kid that dont deserve it.
 
Purple had told Sungjong about his friends before. They were bullies that picked on easy targets; the small, vulnerable and weak. Sungjong couldn’t help but think that they reminded him of Nam Woohyun and Lee Howon and those from school.
 
LemonCandy: I still don’t know why you’re friends with them. They sound awful.
Purple91: because they werent always like this & because theyre all i have. anyway, how was school for you?
LemonCandy: Same as usual for me too. I get bullied by that stupid and everyone just stands and watches.
Purple91: you know why they do it. better you than them.
LemonCandy: I know but…
Purple91: chin up! enough about those s, have you seen this live dance compilation? youll really like #3, its a cover of i got a boy!
 
Purple then sent a link over with a load of live dance covers and Sungjong did like number three. That was one of the things that Sungjong liked about Purple - despite the fact that the other boy preferred hip hop to girl groups he still knew what would cheer Sungjong up and the younger boy appreciated that.
 
Sungjong spent the rest of the night talking to Purple91.
 
----
 
Sungjong cursed his stupidity the next day when he realised at lunch time that he had forgotten his sandwich. He usually brought a sandwich and ate it on a wall out in the yard, after he had been cornered in the canteen by Nam Woohyun on his second day at the school - he had decided on avoiding that place at all costs.
Unfortunately, now he had to go in because otherwise he was not going to be able to eat all day, though that was a slightly more attractive prospect than the chance of meeting Woohyun and his gang.
 
Sungjong sighed as he pushed his way into the canteen, planning to be in and out as quickly as possible. He kept his head as low as he could and pulled his hood over his head, but unfortunately not even that was enough to hide him from the sharp eyes of Nam Woohyun.
 
“Well, well, well… look what the cat dragged in. If it isn’t the little himself.”
 
The deep voice echoed around the room and Sungjong felt all eyes turn to him. He winced before turning to face his nemesis, his teeth gritted.
“Woohyun. What a pleasant surprise.” He said, smiling,
“What are you doing in here?” Woohyun said, smirking, “Did you come to find me? Did you miss me?
“Please, I only want to get some food. Just leave me alone.”
“Nah. I’d rather have some fun.” Woohyun whispered the last word suggestively, turning to smirk at the boys with him. Kim Myungsoo smirked but Lee Howon just stood there like a statue, he seemed to be avoiding looking at either Woohyun or Sungjong and instead he was staring intently at a spot on the ground. Howon was weird.
“Please.” Sungjong pleaded, beginning to panic. It was bad enough that he had been seen by Woohyun but to make things worth, half of the whole school were now staring at him.
“I’ll let you go…” Woohyun started and Sungjong looked up in shock,
“Tha-”
“Wait. I’ll let you go if you call me ‘oppa’.”
“What?”
“Call me oppa, gay boy.” Woohyun smirked, “I know you’ve always wanted to.”
“I never did.” Sungjong protested,
“Call me oppa and I’ll let you go.” Woohyun repeated, still smirking his annoying smirk that just screamed ‘I’m better than you.’
 
No. Actually, I’m better than you. Sungjong thought, and before he could control himself he just looked up at Woohyun.
“Why are you so hung up on me calling you oppa? Are you gay as well, oppa?” He said. There was a collective gasp as everyone turned to stare in shock at the skinny little kid that was talking back to Nam Woohyun. There were a few nervous titters and a few giggles, but mostly it was a silence that spread out around the whole room.
 
Nobody spoke back to Nam Woohyun.
 
“You…” The bully sputtered, his eyes wide with shock. They quickly narrowed though as he finally registered what had been said. Sungjong shrunk under the glare. He was in trouble. He was in a lot of trouble. “How dare you.”
“I-”
 
Before Sungjong could even finish his sentence he felt something hard and cold hit him in the face and then a wetness spray over his body. shocked, Sungjong looked down to see an opened can of Pepsi on the floor, fizzing out over the laminate. He then raised his hand to his eye, which was throbbing from where the can had hit him.
“Oops. Sorry.” Woohyun said, before walking away. Sungjong just turned and ran out, blinking back the tears that were threatening to fall.
 
. I just made things worse.
 
He dived into the boys toilets, thankful that they were empty and stood in front of the mirror, watching the tears fall uncontrollably.
 
“I just made things really bad.” He whispered to himself,
“Yeah, you did,”  a voice cut in. Sungjong turned around in shock to see Lee Howon stood against the wall with his arms crossed. Sungjong immediately took his defensive stance.
“What do you want?” He said, scowling,
“Relax kid. I just wanted to make sure that you’re okay.”
“Why would you care?”
“Look,” Howon started, stepping towards Sungjong. The younger boy flinched and took a step back, triggering a look of sadness to flash across Howon’s face. What does he have to be sad about, Sungjong thought, annoyed. “Woohyun may be a and there is no excuse for that but… He’s had to deal with his own stuff. I know it’s too much to ask but… don’t hate him. Please.”
“So I’m supposed to just let him ruin my life because he can’t deal with his own problems?”
“No. But… he isn’t a totally bad person. Please believe that.”
Sungjong was defiant. He didn’t get why Howon had come here to say this… there had to be some other reason he was here, right?
 
Just as Sungjong was thinking this, Howon started to speak again.
“Anyway… I errr… I brought this.” Sungjong looked at the bag in the other boy’s hand, “It’s some food and a new shirt. Yours has Pepsi on it. It might be a bit big but it’s my spare one. Just hold onto it.” Howon was looking away awkwardly and Sungjong didn’t feel any more comfortable with the situation. This was all wrong - what was Lee Howon, one of Woohyun’s best friends, doing here helping him? Being nice to him. It just didn’t add up.
“What are you doing?” He asked. Howon looked up in shock and then glanced at Sungjong in confusion, “I mean, what are you doing here, helping me. Aren’t you supposed to be with your gang picking on some poor first year that can’t stand up for himself?”
“Is that honestly what you think of me?”
 
The question caught the younger boy off guard. It was as though Sungjong’s words had hurt Howon. Well. It serves him right for making my life hell.
“Can you blame me?” Sungjong asked, “Every single day you stand beside Woohyun as he says cruel things. You expect me to have some nice view of you just because you brought me a sandwich and a shirt? I don’t trust you, Lee Howon.”
“Sungjong-”
“This is all just some ty trick where you get me to accept your nice gesture then you go back and spread rumours that ‘gay Sungjong tried to touch you in the toilets’ or something.”
“You have serious trust issues, don’t you?”
“Once again, can you really blame me?”
There was a long pause before Howon spoke again, a whispered, “no”.
“Exactly. So kindly leave me alone and go back to being one of Woohyun’s cronies.” Howon pushed himself off the wall and sighed,
“Fine.” He moved towards the wall before hesitating at the door, “Just… at least take this.” He placed the bag on the floor, “And please, don’t hate me too much.”
 
He then left the bathroom, leaving Sungjong dumbfounded.
 
He moved slowly towards the bag, as if he expected it to detonate any second. He carefully opened it up to look in it. A shirt, a size or two too big for Sungjong. He changed into it immediately, happy to get the wet, sticky material off his chest. He then glanced at the bottom of the bag. it was a sandwich in a sandwich bag much like the ones his stepmother made.
 
He gave me his own sandwich. Sungjong realised. He stared in wonder at the food, unsure what to do before he finally decided to eat it. Cheese. Sungjong didn’t like cheese, but he ate it anyway, knowing that Howon had foregone his own lunch to instead give it to Sungjong.
 
Why did he do that?
 
-
 
By final period, Sungjong’s eye was throbbing so badly and he just knew that he was going to have a black eye the next morning. Great, another reason for people to stare at him. He excused himself from class early and headed to the nurses office.
“You should have come here straight away.” She tutted, handing him an ice pack, “It’s swelling up too much now. Keep ice on it and hopefully it will be okay.” She then sent him home early, which Sungjong was relieved about because now at least he could lock himself in his room and pretend to be ill. Maybe he could just avoid his stepmother and father until his black eye was faded enough to put makeup over.
 
What he didn’t count on was his stepbrother knowing.
“I heard what Nam ing Woohyun did to you.” Sungyeol announced as he slammed the door to Sungjong’s bedroom open that evening,
“Sungyeol. Please.” Sungjong moaned, rolling over,
“I swear I’m going to-”
“You’re going to do nothing.” Sungjong interrupted, “Because if you intervene you’ll become a victim as well and I don’t want you too. Don’t worry hyung, I can deal with it.”
“No you can’t! Have you seen your eye! Calling you names was one thing but physically assaulting you is too far!”
“Sungyeol… Please just leave it alone. I’ll be fine and I’ll avoid him from now on. I just don’t want anyone else involved, you’ll just make things worse for both you and me.”
“Jongie…”
“Please…” Sungjong didn’t beg easily, but right now he was begging his stepbrother to let things alone,
“Fine.” Sungyeol sighed, he stood up to leave the younger boy’s room but as he reached the door he turned around, “Lee Howon was asking after you. He seemed genuinely concerned.” He looked suspiciously at Sungjong who just shrugged. Sungyeol left the room.
 
Sungjong stared at the closed door, echoing Sungyeol’s words. Lee Howon again? What is he up to?
 
A bleep diverted his attention from his wondering, he glanced at his computer and saw a new chatbox. Sungjong smiled and pulled his laptop onto his bed.
 
Purple91: lemon you okay?
Purple91: lemoncandy?
Purple91: are you there?
 
Sungjong narrowed his eyes at the three messages, all sent within the space of two minutes. What was up with Purple today?
 
LemonCandy: Hi, I’m here. What’s up with you?
Purple91: where were you? i was worried!
LemonCandy: I had a really rough day. I was just talking to my stepbrother about some stuff.
 
There was a pause.
 
LemonCandy: Purple, are you there?
Purple91: sorry.
LemonCandy: For what?
Purple91: that you had a bad day
LemonCandy: Why are you apologising? It’s not exactly your fault.
Purple91: i guess
Purple91: wanna talk about it?
LemonCandy: It was the same as usual, except I got a can of soda thrown at me. It hit me in the face and now I have a glaringly obvious black eye.
Purple91: omg lemon i hope it doesn’t hurt too much.
LemonCandy: It’s okay. I can handle it :) That wasn’t the worst thing though!
Purple91: oh?
LemonCandy: One of the bullies followed me afterwards and offered to help me. He gave me food and a clean shirt. It was so weird.
Purple91: was he like actyully being nice?
Purple91: actually*
LemonCandy: He seemed sincere. That’s the weirdest thing. I don’t know what his scheme was but I’m not falling for it.
Purple91: maybe he isnt such a bad guy.
Purple91: i have to go but ill speak to you tomorro
Purple91: bye
 
Sungjong shut his laptop in annoyance. Why was everyone telling him that Lee Howon wasn’t such a bad person?! He wasbecause any decent person wouldn’t just stand and watch whenever his friends were beating up a perfectly innocent kid. It seriously pissed him off.
 
-
 
Sungjong took the next day off school, claiming to his father that he was so sick that he felt as though he was on death’s door. Frankly, he had no motivation to go to school - he never did but today was worse than any other day. Everyone would point and laugh at his black eye and Woohyun would definite be vying for blood today. he definitely could not go in. He decided to skip the next day as well since it was Friday. He spent the entire weekend speaking to Purple91 about stupid things and playing sick to avoid his family seeing the black eye, Sungyeol delivered his meals to him since he already knew about it and they would play video games and cards in Sungjong’s room. Soon enough it was Monday. Sungjong woke up knowing that he couldn’t avoid the matter any longer. The bruise had faded to a puce-yellow colour and Sungjong was able to dab the area with some BB cream until it was barely noticeable. He walked downstairs for breakfast with a smile on his face (obviously fake), Sungyeol glanced up as he walked into the kitchen.
 
“You’re going to school?” He asked disapprovingly,
“I feel better today.”
“Jongie…” Sungyeol started, but he glanced at his mother busying herself and kept his mouth shut. He spent the whole of the meal shooting disapproving glares at the younger boy, which Sungjong tried to ignore.
 
He knew that he shouldn’t go to school, but he wasn’t about to let Nam Woohyun ruin his life and education. he just had to it up and grow some balls.
 
-
 
The morning at school went by quickly, with absolutely no confrontations with Woohyun thankfully. There were a few students that stopped and stared at Sungjong, whispering things like ‘that’s the little gay kid that Woohyun hit’. Sungjong scoffed internally - he threw a can at him, he didn’t exactly falcon punch him!
 
At lunchtime, Sungjong took his packed lunch to the wall at the back end of the school field where he usually ate. He was the only person that ever sat there and it did get a little lonely at times but… well… it kept him away from Nam Woohyun and that’s all that mattered right now.
 
He had eaten half of his sandwich when he heard the footsteps coming towards him.
“Hi, Sungyeol.” He said, not looking to see who it was because Sungyeol was the only person that knew that he ate here,
“Not Sungyeol.” A familiar voice replied, lilted with a Busan accent. Lee Howon again?
“What are you doing here?” Sungjong sighed, “And how did you know that I eat here?”
“Your brother told me.” Howon stepped forward, “Mind if I sit down?”
Yes. Sungjong thought.
“No.” Sungjong said,
“Thanks.” Howon sat down quietly on the other side of the wall. They sat in silence, aside from the rustling of the food packaging and the slight breeze around them.
“So about the other day…” Howon said, Sungjong startled at the sudden disturbance to his peace, “Yeah. I was being serious. I don’t want you to associate me with Woohyun. I’m not like him.”
“Then why do you associate yourself with him?”
“Because he is all I have and he wasn’t always like this.” Howon explained, “We were best friends when we were younger and the past year has been tough for him. I’m so sorry that you have to bear the brunt of it.”
“What happened to him?” Sungjong asked,
“I… You… you won’t mention it? You won’t use it against him?” Sungjong nodded, “He… He has an older brother, Boohyun. He… left home recently. You know his dad is a famous lawyer? Right? He’s barely ever at home and when he is he’s so stressed that he drinks and he gets… he gets violent.” Howon stopped for a moment as he looked down, “His brother used to protect him but since he moved out… things have got really bad for Woohyun. It’s been tough….”
“That’s sad.” Sungjong said, taking it all in,
“I know it doesn’t mean he should take it out on anyone else but… He’s had a rough time recently.”
“Why does he take it out on me though? I know he bullies Niel and Dongho as well but I seem to get it worse.”
“It’s… Boohyun moved out because he was… he was gay.” Howon explained, looking away from Sungjong,
“So it’s because-”
“Because you’re gay. Yes.” Howon confirmed,
“Oh.” Sungjong was silent. He wasn’t sure whether he was supposed to feel sorry for Woohyun, because he sort of did but he was also pissed off. So Woohyun’s brother was gay and ran off because of that. It wasn’t exactly Sungjong’s fault.
“I know it’s not your fault.” Howon said, “I know that’s what you’re thinking but… can you at least understand him a little bit more?”
“I guess…” Sungjong sighed, “But… Will he ever stop?”
 
There was silence as Howon tried to find words to answer Sungjong’s question.
“I get it.” Sungjong sighed, “He won’t.”
Howon opened his mouth to speak but before he could the school bell rang in the distance, signalling five minutes until the start of afternoon classes. Sungjong stood up and put his bag over his shoulder. He waved a weak wave to Howon before heading in the direction of the school.
“Sungjong!” The older boy shouted, Sungjong stopped, “If I were you, I would wait ten minutes after classes before you go to your locker. Woohyun won’t be there then.” Sungjong just continued his walk, but he could almost feel Howon’s eyes burning into him as he walked away.
 
What was that?
 
-
 
Sungjong pulled his bag on his shoulder at the end of last period, but just as he was about to walk out he remembered Howon’s advice. He sat back in his seat and pulled out his maths homework for ten minutes, though he barely got any work done. He had been like this all afternoon, completely unable to concentrate because the same questions kept flying around in his head.
 
What was going on with Lee Howon? It wasn’t like he had ever spoken to him before so why was he like this all of a sudden? Sungjong almost expected it to be some evil plan fabricated by Woohyun and the others, but Howon seemed so sincere about it all that he just couldn’t think that of him.
 
Did he trust Lee Howon? No.
Did he want to trust Lee Howon? Sort of.
 
It was so confusing.
 
After fifteen minutes of biting his pencil and banging his head on the desk in frustration, Sungjong repacked his stuff and head for his locker. True to his word, Howon and Woohyun were not there and for the first time in months Sungjong was able to pack his locker in peace and make his way out of school without being harassed.
 
He stopped short on his way out though when he saw his stepbrother surrounded by Woohyun, Howon and Myungsoo. He had an annoyed look on his face and his hands were moving rapidly as they always did when he was annoyed or excited or just really passionate about something.
 
… He really did confront them…
 
Sungjong moved carefully to break up the obvious verbal battle that was going on.
 
“-your of a brother.” Woohyun was saying,
“Don’t talk about Sungjong that way!” Sungyeol responded, glaring,
“Why? Are you a too? Do you two have some creepy brother love going on? Keeping it in the family and all that.”
“Oh shut up Nam. Do you even hear the things coming out of your mouth?”
“You-”
“Come on Woohyun. Leave Sungyeol alone, he’s a good guy. It’s not his fault he’s related to Sungjong.” A quiet voice interrupted, “Anyway, we have places to be. Movie night, remember?”
 
Sungjong felt some warmth in his heart at the sight of Howon defending Sungyeol, he saw Howon catch his eye and smiled at him, Howon returned it with a grin of his own before signalling for Sungjong to get the hell away before Woohyun saw him. Sungjong smiled another grateful smile before moving to the shade where he waited until Woohyun and his gang had left. He then stepped out to join his brother.
 
“Why did you tell Howon where I was at lunch?” Sungjong asked as they neared their house,
“He asked me,” Sungyeol simply replied,
“So you just… told him?” Sungjong was incredulous, “What if he had like, beaten me up or something?”
“He…. He seemed sincere about wanting to talk to you. He said some things.” Sungyeol stopped in his tracks, “Why, he didn’t beat you up, did he?” He glanced over Sungjong worriedly.
“No. He just sat and spoke to me.”
“So he was telling the truth then.” Sungyeol said under his breath,
“What?”
“Nothing, dear brother from another mother. Say, are you still speaking to that boy online?”
“Yes, why?”
“Nothing. It’s just good for you to have someone to talk to about that stuff. You should carry on talking to him no matter what.”
“Erm… okay? What brought this on?”
“Hmm?” Sungyeol said absentmindedly as he fumbled for his house keys, “Oh, nothing.”
 
Sungjong eyed him suspiciously as they entered the house. He went immediately upstairs and his computer, logging onto the website and opening his chat with Purple91.
 
LemonCandy: Hey.
Purple91: hey you too
LemonCandy: How was your day?
Purple91: not bad actually. i spoke to the boy i like today.
 
Sungjong stared at the screen for a while. Rereading the line. So Purple91 had someone he liked? Why did that seem to make Sungjong’s heart hurt?
 
LemonCandy: Oh?
Purple91: yeah, hes a year younger than me and hes so sweet. it just that my best friend bullys him because hes gay. if i came out to him i have no idea what he’d do.
LemonCandy: He isn’t a decent friend if he doesn’t accept you for who you really are.
LemonCandy: And for the record, I think you’re awesome.
Purple91: he has his reasons for being the way he is
Purple91: anyway how was your day?
Purple91: sorry for taking up all of the conversation.
LemonCandy: Don’t worry about it! It makes a change from talking about me all of the time. My day was actually really good.
Purple91: thats good. why?
LemonCandy: I avoided the bullies today and you know the guy that I was telling you about? The one that hangs out with the head bully and came and helped me after I got hurt the other day?
Purple91: you were assaulted, not hurt.
LemonCandy: Well yeah but…
LemonCandy: Anyway, he came and found me at lunch and we spoke. He told me secrets about the main bully guy. He was comforting me. It was weird because he’s so nice.
Purple91: sounds like you sort of like this guy.
 
Sungjong looked at the computer. He shook his head. I can’t like him, I like you.
 
LemonCandy: No. He’s just nice company. I don’t quite trust him yet.
Purple91: oh
Purple91: do you want to?
LemonCandy: I think he’s a nice person.
Purple91: what do you want him to do to make you trust him?
LemonCandy: He should stand up instead of secretly helping me. He should tell that guy to stop bullying people that don’t deserve it. My life is a living hell and a little comfort and a reason behind it won’t change that.
Purple91: maybe he has his reasons for not standing up against his friend.
Purple91: like if he has a secret too
LemonCandy: I don’t know… Like what?
Purple91: maybe he’s gay as well?
 
Sungjong’s fingers paused over the keyboard as he mulled that thought over. Lee Howon, gay? Sungjong thought of Howon’s mannerisms and actions and thought that it couldn’t be possible. Howon’s dance was too strong and his mannerisms too rough and ready. When Sungjong thought of gay he thought of people like… well… himself. Feminine and dainty and a little bit more vulnerable.
 
Lee Howon was not gay…
 
Purple91: Lemon you there?
LemonCandy: He can’t be gay. It just doesn’t fit him. I don’t know… He just… isn’t.
LemonCandy: Wouldn’t I know? Aren’t we supposed to have some sort of gay radar that helps us recognise other gay men?
Purple91: i dont think it works like that.
LemonCandy: Well anyway. he isn’t gay.
Purple91: is he attractive.
 
Sungjong’s mind went to the last school festival, when Howon had performed a hip-hop dance performance with Jang Dongwoo. He had been wearing tight black jeans and tight black wifebeater and even back then Sungjong had noticed the rippling muscles in his arms and the sweat making his skin glisten under the stage lights. He felt a blush creep over him as he tried to bat away the memory.
 
LemonCandy: Honestly?
Purple91: yes
LemonCandy: Very.
Purple91: so hes hot and you think hes a nice guy but you say you dont like him.
LemonCandy: Yes.
Purple91: pft.
LemonCandy: Can we change to topic now? Have you seen the latest BEAST performance?
 
So the conversation moved onto safer, less personal topics like idol performances but Sungjong’s mind just wasn’t in it. He was too busy wondering whether he did actually like Howon. Sure, the older boy was attractive and Sungjong would not deny that he had noticed that a long time ago, he had also known that he had a nicer bone in his body and the last few meetings had proven that. But did Sungjong like him?
 
And was Lee Howon even gay? Purple91 had suggested that he was and that was why he was too scared to stand up to Woohyun, but Sungjong personally thought that theory was a little too farfetched to be believable.
 
He sighed as he responded to Purple91’s messages.
He sighed as he ate dinner, eliciting weird, almost knowing looks from Sungyeol.
He sighed as he lay tossing and turning in bed that night, something that he seemed to do a lot these days.
 
Everything was so confusing.
 
-
 
Sungjong avoided Woohyun the next morning as well, he was doing pretty well. At lunch time, he made his way back to his space and he wasn’t quite as shocked as he had expected to be when Lee Howon sat himself on the wall ten minutes later.
“Hey.” He said as he opened up his bag,
“Hey…” Sungjong replied, glancing over at him and taking in the other boy. His hair was unstyled and he was wearing a purple polo shirt underneath his regulation blazer. Sungjong took in his neck (which was very y, if necks could be y) and his hands and….
 
Dammit. That conversation with Purple last night had made Sungjong think weirdly. He needed to sort this out.
 
“I was wondering…” Sungjong started,
“Hmm?” Howon replied with a mouthful of food,
“Why are you nice to me?” There was a pause as Howon finished his mouthful of food,
“Because your a nice guy and I don’t think you deserve to be victimised and I want to get to know you more.”
“If you don’t think I deserve it, why do you let Woohyun do it?”
“I… I have things that I can’t tell him. It’s safer for me to be on his good side.”
“What is it?”
“I’m… I…. I can’t say it right now. But I’ll tell you one day.”
 
One day. Sungjong thought, so he’s planning on hanging out with me more?
 
-
 
The following days, the same thing happened - Sungjong avoided Woohyun in the morning and was joined by Howon for dinner.They would speak about anything and everything for the lunch hour and then Sungjong would avoid Woohyun in the afternoon as well. Sungjong quickly learned that Howon was a really nice guy, he was eloquent and intelligent and thoughtful and kind, he could make Sungjong laugh without even meaning to. He preferred to be called Hoya because he felt that it was more ‘hip-hop’. Every single day, Hoya and Sungjong would get closer, both mentally and physically. On the first day they had sat on opposite edges of the wall but gradually they seemed to move in closer until they were both sat in the center, sharing packed lunch items, (Hoya’s mom made tuna sandwiches and Hoya despised any type of fish) and looking at funny videos on their phones. Sungjong started to anticipate his lunch meetings with Hoya and gradually he started to trust him.
 
He would then spend the evening talking to Purple about it, who would because ‘he was so totally in love with the guy’ and ‘why wouldn’t he just admit it’. Purple would talk to Sungjong about the guy he liked, who he seemed to be getting closer to everyday. Sungjong still felt a bit jealous but for some reason the more time he spent with hoya, the less hurt he was about Purple’s relationship going well. It was weird, also, how Purple’s relationship with the guy he liked seemed to mirror the growing bond between Sungjong and Hoya. Maybe it was a gay thing. Even though Hoya was definitely not gay.
 
It was a week after they started to hang out and they were looking over some performance from the previous nights idol music show. Sungjong had already watched it the previous night with Purple, but Hoya wanted to watch it so Sungjong loaded it up again. Halfway though, he found himself glancing over at Hoya and was shocked to find the other boy staring intently back at him.
 
“Wh-” Sungjong started, planning to ask Hoya what he was looking at, but he was cut off by the feel of soft lips against his. It happened so suddenly that it took Sungjong moments to register what had happened and by that time, Hoya had already pulled back. Sungjong stared at him, shell-shocked and confused.
 
“What was that?” He whispered, raising a hand to his tingling lips,
“I-” Hoya blushed, “The thing is…” He started,
“HOYA!” A shout interrupted them, a deep, throaty shout that could only belong to one person.
“.” Hoya muttered, “Just when I-”
“So this is where you’ve been disappearing to.” Woohyun said as he took in the sight before him. Hoya and Sungjong’s hand were on the wall, almost touching and Sungjong and Hoya were both blushing, “What’s going on here then?”
“I…” Hoya started, he looked helplessly between Sungjong and Woohyun. “I…” He glanced at Sungjong and sent him a look that could only be an apology, “I’ve been messing with the little gay’s head.” He finally said, “Making him think he can havefriends.
 
Sungjong gaped. Then blinked.
He couldn’t control the welling of tears in his eyes.
 
“Awww…. is the little princess going to cry?” Woohyun taunted, “Did you think you had friends? Maybe you actually liked our Hoya here? Wouldn’t that be funny, Hoya, if little diva had a little crush on you. Ooooh look, he’s actually crying. He did have a crush on you. Good work, my friend.”
“Yeah…” Hoya said, “Anyway, I’m done with this kid. Let’s go to class.”
 
Sungjong watched the two walk away, laughing.
Just when he thought he could trust someone…
 
He had never felt this betrayed in his life before.
 
-
 
That afternoon, Woohyun and Hoya were waiting by his locker.
“Move.” He said, sighing,
“Not until you call me oppa. Or maybe you’d rather call Hoya oppa this time.” Woohyun smirked. Sungjong sent a desperate glance at Hoya, but the other boy was deliberately avoiding his eyes.
“Whatever,” Sungjong sighed defeatedly, walking back down the corridor. He would just take his books home.
 
He expected Woohyun to follow him and slam him into a wall or something, but he didn’t. He just let Sungjong leave the school.
 
He had the victory already, Sungjong knew. He had built up hope in Sungjong and then destroyed it all. That was the worst pain he could inflict.
 
Sungjong walked home slowly, unable to stop the tears from slipping down his face.
 
-
 
Purple91: hey
LemonCandy: Purple, hey.
Purple91: you seem down?
LemonCandy: You can tell from just two words?
Purple91: i know you well. whats up?
 
So Sungjong ended up telling the whole story to a person that he had never met before but who was probably the only person in the world that he could trust.
 
Purple91: thats… ty.
Purple91: he probably had a reason for it
Purple91: i mean he kissed you. you dont kiss someone even if you want to mess with them.
LemonCandy: There’s no way to put it other than ‘He’s a .’
LemonCandy: I have never felt this betrayed in my life.
Purple91: maybe he’s scared of woohyun.
LemonCandy: No. It’s not that.
LemonCandy: Wait…
 
Wait…
Purple had just called Woohyun… Woohyun. But Sungjong had never used any names. How did Purple know that? He had to be somebody that he knew…
 
Purple91: sungjong im sorry, i was going to tell you
LemonCandy: Who are you?
 
And then it all clicked into place. He knew exactly who it was, even before Purple typed his answer.
 
Purple91: im hoya.
 
Sungjong stared at the words as the flashed up in front of him. He could barely believe this. How stupid and unbelievable and ing cliche this whole thing was. Purple had been Hoya all along. Sungjong had spent weeks complaining to Hoya about himself and his friends and…
 
What the is this?
 
Suddenly everything fit. Hoya talking about how he had secrets and how it was best for him to stay on Woohyun’s good side, Purple suggesting that maybe Hoya had something to hide… Purple talking about his friends were s but he had to stay with them. ‘They weren’t always like that’ he had said, and just days later Hoya uttered the same words.
 
But what was Hoya doing on a gay chatroom unless he was gay?
 
Wait… Purple91 had suggested that maybe Hoya was gay… Hoya had suggested that maybe Hoya was gay… So then… Hoya had to be… gay…
 
And there was the kiss
 
Oh.
Well.
 
So maybe he should be happy, but he was just confused. He had a load of fragmented thoughts flying around in his head as he tried to piece together the things that Hoya and Purple had said and done. Nothing was fitting.
 
The comforting words that Purple91 had said to him fit the caring way that Hoya had been treating him for the past week… but then what about today? What about the harsh words that Hoya had said to him when he told Woohyun that he was just ‘playing with him’?
 
Purple91: sungjong?
Purple91: are you there?
Purple91: sungjong please reply
Purple91: sungjong
Purple91: im sorry
Purple91: let me explain
 
A stream of desperate messages went unread as Sungjong slammed his laptop shut and growled in frustration. It was times like these when he really wanted to punch someone. He briefly considered asking Sungyeol to be his punching bag but his stepbrother was so nice that he would probably say yes, so he proceeded to turn the lights out and try to sleep.
 
That didn’t go well.
 
-
 
So the next morning Sungjong found himself staring at what looked like a zombie in the mirror. He wished he hadn’t used up all of his sick days when he had the black eye because he really did not want to go into school the next day.
 
School meant Hoya.
 
That meant trying to get his head around the current situation.
 
But he went in anyway and once again he thankfully managed to avoid Woohyun in the morning. Though it wasn’t actually Woohyun he was bothered about, it was Hoya. Right now, Sungjong would talk Woohyun over Hoya, no brainer.
 
He went to his wall at lunch time and started his dinner in peace, but he was soon interrupted by a voice that he had sort of expected.
“Sungjong…” Hoya started,
“Go away.” Sungjong said blankly,
“No.”
“Please.”
“Not until you hear me out.”
“I don’t care what you have to say.” Sungjong stated,
“Please Sungjong.” Hoya pleaded,
“I don’t give a crap what ty excuse you’re going to come up with!” Sungjong exploded from the annoyance and upset that he had accumulated, “You messed with my mind and it was all part of some ing plan you had with Woohyun! What was it? Build me up and then crash me down? Yesterday I thought I had lost one friend and then I lost my other confidant!”
“Is that what you think?” Hoya asked quietly, “That I plotted and that the conversations as Purple91 were all part of some plan?”
“Isn’t that how it is?”
“No!” Hoya replied, “No. I didn’t even know it was you to start with… I only figured that out days before I gave you the shirt and sandwich. That was a while after we started talking. So then I decided to try to be closer to you in real life but the whole Woohyun thing was in the way and I can’t… I couldn’t stand up to him. So I tried to help you avoid him as much as I could, and it worked. I was going to tell you that I was Purple yesterday after I...”
“You kissed me.”
“Yes. After that.”
“Why did you kiss me?”
“Because I like you.” Hoya whispered, “I noticed you when you started at this school but I just noticed that you’re pretty. I started to fall for you when we started talking online. At first I thought that I was starting to like some total stranger but then when I realised it was you everything seemed… easier. But it was hard because of Woohyun and my position in school and… I’m sorry.”
“Good.”
 
There was silence as Hoya stood disheartened in front of Sungjong and Sungjong stared at him defensively.
 
“So..?” Hoya said,
“So what?” Sungjong replied,
“So do you like me?”
“Yes. But you don’t think that’s all okay. We admit we like eachother and it’s all fine and dandy, no worries about the fact that you lied to me, or how you stood there and watched me get abused every day?”
“Im sorry about that. I wanted to stop it but-”
“But you were too weak.”
“Yes. I was too weak.” Hoya agreed, “But I’m going to change that. I promise.”
“Well here’s your chance.” Sungjong stated, eyeing the tiny figure marching towards them, “So don’t mess it up. You want me? You say something to Woohyun.”
“Wha-” Hoya turned around and saw Woohyun on his way to them, “I…”
“It’s up to you, of course. But if you want me, you sort this out.”
“Er…”
 
“HOYA!” Woohyun greeted him, “Why are you here again? Didn’t we break the little diva’s heart yesterday?”
“Don’t call him that.” Hoya stated, turning to glare at his so-called best friend,
“...What?”
“I said, don’t call him that. He isn’t a diva or a princess or a . You can’t call him things like that.”
“When did you get all nice-guy?”
“Woohyun. You’re a . I don’t like it.”
“...Hoya?”
“Just because your brother is gay and left you with your abusive father doesn’t mean you can up a kids life just because he’s gay.”
“How dare you-”
“Oh and let me let you into a little secret. I’m gay too. And actually, I like Sungjong.” Hoya stated and Woohyun went silent. His mouth agape and frozen in shock.
“You’re… He… And… What?”
“I’m gay. I like Sungjong.”
“You’re a fairy too?” Woohyun asked and instead of a vocal reply, he was treated to a fist connecting with his face, “You…” Woohyun stared at Hoya in shock, bringing his hands to his bleeding nose, “You hit me?”
“I'm sorry Woohyun, but I don’t think we can be friends anymore. Call me when you stop being such a close minded .”
 
And with that, Hoya grabbed Sungjong’s hand and dragged him away onto an empty part of the field, leaving a very shocked and pained Woohyun behind.
 
“That was awesome.” Sungjong said when they were sure they were out of anyone’s view,
“Was that enough to prove that I’m serious?” Hoya asked.
 
In reply, Sungjong simply grabbed the other boy’s hand and entwined their fingers, before pulling him in and planting a quick kiss on Hoya’s lips.
 
“Is that a yes?”
 
Sungjong giggled and pulled Hoya in again, this time deepening the kiss into something a little less chaste and as he explored the muscled on Hoya’s arms through the thin material of his blazer he realised that really, this was beneficial for him. He’d spent the last two days fighting an internal battle over whether he liked Purple91 or Hoya and it turned out they were the same person. It really worked out pretty well.
 
-
 
“Isn’t Woohyun going to just make our lives hell now?” Sungjong asked, as they lay on the grass after ending the kiss (before it got too heated, because Sungjong was never one to do much on the first date). They had somehow missed the bell and decided to just skip class that afternoon. Sungjong was usually a good boy, but his new boyfriend was a bit of a bad influence.
“Nah, he’s nothing without me. I’m the brawn of the operation.” He flexed his muscles, making Sungjong giggle, “Just stick with me and you’ll be perfectly fine.”
 
Sungjong glanced at Hoya who was looking over at him with an affectionate smile on his face. He couldn’t help but smile back just as brightly.
 
“I plan to.”