Chapter One

Of Prince and Princesses

 


In the country of Ashfall, there was a young lady named Hye Jung. She was kind, smart, and adventurous. She had friends. She came from a great and wealthy family, the most wealthy in the kingdom. Her parents loved her, and she loved them. And she could have anything she wanted.

Because she is a princess.


 

The sound of the violin filled my ears, almost making me cry from the beauty of the notes. Of the beauty of whole notes, and half notes.  Of crescendos and decrescendos. Of legatos and pianissimos. The song was beautiful, yet haunting. It made people want to cry, yet smile.  

What, you might wonder, is this song? It is the song of king and queens, their kingdom, their people, and their land. The beauty of the kingdom and the compassion of their people. 

The song played at my brother's funeral.

 

"Hye Jung?" I heard a soft voice call out form behind me. I answered without turning, taking time to set my violin back into its case.

"Yes?" I said, finally turning around with a small smile. 

"The prince will be leaving soon. Are you going to bid him farewell?" Ah yes. The prince. Leaving.

"I've already spoken with him a few moments ago. There is no need to now." 

"Alright then. Will you at least see him off? I'm sure the prince would want that."  I gave a sigh of defeat and walked through the beautiful white door lined with gold and into the light pink hallway. I made my way down to the bottom of the grand staircase all the while looking down. The sound of Mother's sweet voice did not surprise me as I looked at everything but the group of people at the entrance way of the palace. Even through the open double doors of the palace, I could still hear the affection in her voice.

"You go on and have a nice trip back to your kingdom. I'm sure you mother misses you. She has been sending me letters constantly asking about you and demanding me to write back immediately." I heard the prince let out a quiet laugh but didn't hear his reply. The carriage, as it stopped in front of the group, had muffled the sound of his voice. 

"Oh! Hye Jung. Come over and say good bye." My mother said when she turned around. And being the good girl I was, I put on a bright smile and walked toward the group while gathering up my skirt. When I stopped and stood next to my mother I saw that the prince had stiffened a bit. I gave him a smile. 

"I hope you've enjoyed your stay here in our kingdom."

"Of course. I always enjoy my stay here in Ashfall. What's not to like?" He said in a soft, low voice. Almost as if teasing. I saw my mother giving me a funny look as she looked back and forth between us. Her perfect eyebrow arched up. "Well," she said after a few moments of awkward silence, " I'll let you two a few moments with each other." Causing it to become even more awkward.

"Well." He said.

"Well." Was my only reply. I stood there for a few minutes longer to make it seem like we were still talking. With nothing else to say, I my heels and began walking back toward the double doors of my home.

He did not stop me but I knew that as soon as I had turned, he had hopped into his carriage.

Rude much. 


A Few Hours Ago

"Wait!" I shouted, my voice echoing through the hallway. Being in heels and a gown is not exactly the best choice of clothing when your running. "Donghae! Wait!"  

He stopped but didn't turn around. His back rigid.

"I'm sorry, okay?" I huffed out, out of breath. "You can just act like nothing happened, alright? It doesn't mean anything anymore. If this is how you act when someone confesses, I don't think you deserve that person. I mean, your a prince. Running away is not what a prince is suppose to do when they are shocked or receive something shocking. Royal Rule number five, remember? 'Never run nor ignore important issues when they are revealed to you. No matter how unpleasant it to the ears.' Just..just-"

"Are you done yet? I still have some packing to do. I don't have time to have this conservation with you right now. I am a very important person." He said in harsh tone, still not turning to look at me but I saw his head had slightly turned. Listening but not looking.

I was at lost. Who knew he would be so rude. So rude to me. 

"Alright. Fine. Run." I shook my head, regretting ever telling him the true. *Hye Jung-ah! Why are you so stupid. You knew this wouldn't have ended well.*  

 I saw him give a rigid nod and continued walking toward his room. But before he reached the stairs I once again shouted for him to wait. And once again, he stopped with an exasperated sigh and waited for me to continue talking. 

Without thinking, I ran to him. *This is the last time. Last time. No more after this. No more.* 

I slipped my hands around his waist and gave a little squeeze. If he was surprised, he didn't show it. I then made another bad decisions. 

I rose on my toes and kissed his cheek. My lips lingered for a few second longer before I let him go.

My hands trembled on my walked back to my room. They kept shaking when I closed my bedroom door. And kept shaking when I took my beloved violin from its case. They couldn't stop.

I drowned myself into the music. Playing piece after piece, trying to stop the shaking. After a while, I remember a piece I had learned when I was young. A song my brother had taught me. His favorite.  

Our favorite.

 

 


Hello~ 

um..well... I updated... :)

I did say I would update sometime in March right? And right now, where I live, it is March 31st. So technically, I did. 

Okay. So far, I think this story is having a sad start. I really did not expect it to be so melancholy. It just turned out that way.. But I think in future updates, it won't be as sad as this chapter.

About the prince. Who did you guys think he was? Did you think it was Baekhyun? Or some other EXO member? I purposely didn't reveal him until this chapter. MWAHHAAHHA! Should I add Donghae to the tags?

I hope you enjoyed this update. Thank you for reading~ Please subscribe and comment. Thanks again. :)