You know you're special

The Misfits

Sehun arrives on a cold, rainy Monday morning. The last thing he remembers is his sister shoving him away desperately, "go, Sehun, go! Run before it's too late!" 

"But noona, why can't you come with me? I'm scared..." Fourteen year old Sehun clutches desperately at his sister, confused as to why he's being abandoned at times like this.

His sister sighs softly, reaching to tuck a stray strand of hair behind Sehun's ear. "We both already know you are special, Sehun-ah. You're different from everyone else here, you're the only one that can survive and do appa and umma proud! You would want to do that, won't you?"

Sehun bites his lip as memories of his parents surface. His father, General Oh who had fought valiantly at the frontline and earned their country's victory in war with his own life. His mother, so deeply in love with his father that she slipped into depression shortly after his death and withered rapidly, as though seeking to follow him even in death. Yes, he would love to do them proud but..

"Why can't you come with me, noona? We can do it together!"

His sister glances at the approaching line of darkness urgently. "Time is running out, Sehun, I have... I have a few things I need to pack up here, you run along first, alright? I'll meet you in the next town!"

I'll do whatever it takes to keep you alive, my precious brother...

Satisfied, Sehun tugs his backpack firmly onto his shoulders. "I'll see you soon then, noona!"

Her vision blurs with tears as she waves farewell to her brother's retreating back for the very last time.

Sehun runs. He's been blessed with a lanky physique since young, enabling him to cover greater distances in a single stride as compared to his peers. He used to have friendly competitions with his friends back at home, before the war happened. Whoever reached the apple tree first would get a bottle of milk as a treat. Eyes fixed on the prize, Sehun was never second. Now, he runs again. The only difference is that the prize hanging on the line is his very own life.

As he runs, Sehun feels the air helping him along, pushing and nudging him beyond his usual speed. It's almost as though the air is carrying him, little air particles tickling him slightly as they bring him to his destination. Sehun allows a small smile as he embraces the sensation that promises hope. The sensation of air gliding past him gently. The sensation of wind.

Sehun reaches the next town fairly quickly and finds cover in an abandoned supermarket. Taking care to avoid potential dangerous obstacles, Sehun clears a corner and sets out to gather water and food. He then sinks to the ground, still panting heavily from the intense running he just did. He gathers his knees to his chest, and begins the long wait for his sister.

---

"No way!!"

"Let's do it by scissors paper stone!!"

"Hell no I always lose at that game! Luhan hyung always wins and he already got to bring back Jongin and Kyungsoo!"

"Blame your own lousy skills, Park Chanchan!"

Kris sighs impatiently. "Shut up for a while, you guys. If anyone actually bothered reading the mission file, you would know that Zitao has been appointed this time round."

A shocked silence settles for five mere seconds before all hell breaks loose again.

"No way, Huang Zitao?! But he isn't even of age yet!"

"He would probably cry all over the new boy!"

"The war zones are dangerous..."

"Can you even bear to dirty your new shoes, Taozi-yah?"

Joonmyun frowns as he feels a migraine threatening to take over. "That's not very nice, Chanyeol. And yes, the Captain himself deemed Zitao to be perfect for this mission. It'll be absolutely safe, Yixing, Zitao just needs to pick up the new guy from an abandoned town. The Captain will send soldiers to protect them from a distance."

Chanyeol snickers. "Whoever heard of us needing protection on missions? This is why offensive powers are better- OW!" Zitao, it seems, has finally had enough. With a well aimed kick to the derrière, he manages to shut Chanyeol up. "That's why I picked up wushu, Chanyeol-hyung. For situations like these." He smiles sweetly and Chanyeol feels a chill run down his spine.

"Okay, whatever. Go pack up now, Zitao, you leave tomorrow morning." Kris shoots a warning glare at Chanyeol. Said boy hums and goes to his room immediately, unfazed by the fact that it's his first mission and he is all but fourteen. The boys remaining in the living room continue to discuss the newest mission.

"Do you think he'll be as tiny as Kyungsoo?"

"Hey! No more personal attacks now, Chanyeol!"

"I wonder if he'll be the one to complete us.."

"Nah, doubt so."

"What makes you so sure, Luhan hyung?"

"Look around us, Xingxing ah. Our dining table has twelve chairs, we have 6 rooms with two beds each, there are 3 more unoccupied lockers at the Centre. I'm pretty sure 12 is the number that the Captain is waiting for."

"Wow Luhan hyung you're so smart!"

"Uhm.. You just need to be more observant, my child."

The day progressed pretty swiftly with their usual banter and soon enough, it was time to retire to their beds.

Kris stops by Zitao's room, worrying his bottom lip.

"Zitao ah? Done packing?"

"Yeah hyung, what's up?" "The Captain just wanted me to tell you this privately.. Once outside you're free to use your powers, but never remove your ring. Not even if your life is threatened. Do you understand?" Zitao may be puzzled, but he's been brought up with the belief that the words of their Captain is the absolute truth and should not be challenged at any point of time. He looks down at his left index finger, where a symbol representing an hour glass was attached. Briefly touching it, he looks up and gives Kris an affirmative smile. "Sure, hyung."

---

Sehun slices through another boulder effortlessly, aided by the wind and his own anger. He had never felt so betrayed in his life. This didn't even come close to the time Sun Ae cheated him of his gummy bears.

"Where the hell are you, noona.."

It's been exactly a week since he reached this town. Exactly a week since his sister promised to find him here. With each day that passed, the chances of his sister actually reaching this town dimmed, and the sinking feeling in his gut grew, as did the sense of betrayal. His sister had actually lied to him just to get rid of him, Sehun thought sadly. Was his presence so annoying such that he had to be ditched in this heartless manner?

His self pitying thoughts were brought to a halt as the silence was disturbed by some foot steps. Sehun's senses went into high alert immediately, preparing himself for any sudden attacks. Listening closely, he deduced that this was no enemy trying to sneak up on him, as the owner of the foot steps was making no attempt to cover his tracks, crunching gravel and branches loudly as he walked. Allowing himself a little peek, Sehun was surprised to see a boy who looked no older than him wandering in the abandoned town. As he got nearer, he could hear the boy muttering to himself.

"Argh, so much gravel here, my boots are getting scratched! I should have listened to Chanyeol hyung and wore Duizhang's boots out instead.. He doesn't even care!"

Sehun resists the urge to roll his eyes. Whoever this guy was, he was too high maintenance to be out here. The unknown boy suddenly pauses his tracks, engrossed in the device he was holding. After frowning at it for several moments, he looks up. To Sehun's horror, he stares straight at Sehun's hiding place, and it seems as though he is looking right into Sehun's eyes too. Sehun feels his muscles tense up and prepares to fight or flee, whichever is necessary. The surprise in Sehun's eyes is mirrored in the stranger's, although he can also detect some.. relief (or was that joy?) at the same time.

"... Hey! Hey I found you! Finally!"

Sehun feels a chill run down his spine at that. Turns out the boy is a scout sent by the enemy, after all. Sehun emerges from his hiding place, taking care to puff up his chest so as not to give away his anxiety and fear. Taking confident strides, he slowly closes the distance between him and the stranger. At the same time, Sehun secretly garners the help of the air in the area. From the corner of his eye he sees a boulder of the perfect size and if he aims properly...

Zitao grins, having found his target within two days of entering the area. "Hey!" He waves cheerily, all thoughts of scratched boots gone. "Hey I found you! Finally!" The joy that courses through Zitao at having completed his mission so quickly vanishes in the next few moments, when a boulder comes flying straight at his head.

"What the.." Zitao's wushu reflexes and training were finally put to good use as he holds up a hand, effectively bringing the boulder to a stop mid-air. Still holding his hand there, he turns his glare back on Sehun and flicks his fringe.

Sehun gapes.

"Not a very warm welcome, if you ask me. Sehun, right?"

"How do you know who I am? And why are you searching for me?" Sehun struggles to keep his voice steady. He realises belatedly that he should have kept up an anonymous identity rather than admitting who he was too soon, but it was too late for that.

Zitao gestures lazily at the boulder still floating in midair. "Well if you haven't noticed, we're kind of the same. And seeing as to how I could have easily killed you," he points at the gun nestled comfortably at his belt, "but I haven't, you might want to be more cordial."

Sehun squints suspiciously at this boy. Relaxing his stance, he decides to trust him for the time being, seeing how they were indeed "kind of the same".

"My name is Zitao, and I've been sent to fetch you to safety!" Zitao grins, beckoning Sehun to follow him as he began the return journey. Sehun takes a deep breath and looks in the direction of his old home. For five years he had depended solely on his sister, and he wasn't too sure how to feel now that this sole pillar of support in his life was gone. Zitao follows his gaze. "Can't bear to leave sector X, huh? I hear they gassed the entire place, not a single one survived."

Sehun feels his blood run cold at that. "Who are they? And why did they do that?!" "The government, of course! Everyone in sector X suffers from some strange contagious disease, shortens your lifespan by leaps and bounds, you can't live past 20 in there. By gassing the place the government effectively ensures that this strain of virus is killed off forever."

"But... I managed to escape." 

"Yes, you're the one in the million that the government was looking for. You see Sehun the virus affected you in a special, different way. And this is exactly what the government desires, which is why I'm bringing you over."

Sehun comes to a halt, mind working to connect the dots.

"So what you mean to say is.. My sister was also gassed by the government? She's... She... She's dead?"

Zitao shifts uncomfortably. Emotional moments have never been his strong point. His silence is enough confirmation for Sehun. Grief hits him like a freight train as he realises the gravity of the situation. His sister, his only remaining kin in the world, was gone too. He was now truly alone. Feeling the pain of losing a loved one course through him, Sehun gathers what little energy he has remaining and cries out in agony.

"WHY!!!!!"

His grief soon turned to rage. Anger at the world, for tearing him apart from his family members at such a young age. Anger at himself, for even doubting his sister. In his despair, he clutched desperately at something, anything that he could transfer his grief to. Sehun soon became aware of the air particles around him, dancing haphazardly. Yes, this was one thing he was still in control of. Focusing his energy, he controls the movement of an increasing amount of air particles, forcing them to dance to his tune, nudging them in the direction he wanted them to. Slowly but surely, a small tornado begins to form around Sehun, with Sehun in the eye. Zitao stares in slight alarm.

"Aren't tornadoes supposed to form only after you come of age? Hey, hey Sehun! Watch out before you wreck this entire place!" However, Sehun's mind is far gone, his sole focus being the wind that is whipping around him right now. Yes, that's right, faster, dance faster, show the world my despair! Zitao adjusts his ring nervously. Orders were orders, after all, but he can't help but wonder if Sehun was stronger than estimated. Taking a few tentative steps back, Zitao briefly wonders if he should run while he still can. He watches the rapidly growing tornado with a sinking feeling in his gut. There was no way he would be able to escape. Well, the Captain has always trained us to be fighters, Zitao thinks, preparing himself for battle.