Spirits Bright

Jingle All The Way

The room is still dim as Taeeun drifts slowly into consciousness, dark enough that she has to squint at the screen of her phone once she's managed to drag it off the nightstand and fumble it on. 6:34 AM, December 1, it reads, and she immediately turns the heinous thing off with a groan. There's no reason to be up this early so she rolls over to Jaehwa's side, intent on snuggling up to her under the covers and going back to sleep.

Only there's no Jaehwa in this half of the bed, only carelessly tossed-back sheets and a Jaehwa-shaped indent still faintly radiating warmth. Puzzled, Taeeun hauls herself upright to peer around the room; it's then that she hears, faintly from somewhere else in the apartment, the cheerful whistling that always signals Jaehwa's up and entirely too ready to start the day. The sound pulls her reluctantly to her feet, hissing when her toes touch the cold floor. She supposes she'd better figure out what her crazy girlfriend is doing awake at this hour.

As she pads out of the bedroom the whistling resolves itself into "Jinglebells", slightly muffled by the way Jaehwa's on her knees headfirst in the hall closet. Her rear end wiggles as she roots around, occasionally interrupting the song to hum in delight when she pulls another item out and adds it to the growing collection on the floor beside her.

She stops with a little shriek when Taeeun plants a foot on her and pushes gently. Emerging from the closet, Jaehwa pouts up at her. "What was that for?"

Taeeun ignores the question, reaching out again to prod the pile of stuff with a toe. "...What are you doing."

"Oh." Jaehwa grins sheepishly, gesturing to it. "Getting the decorations out!"

"...Why."

"Because today's the first day of Christmas!" She says it like it should be obvious, like she can't believe Taeeun isn't down there on the floor with her.

I think there's only twelve days, Taeeun doesn't say, because she suddenly remembers the bright digital letters on her phone screen. December 1. Of course Jaehwa would consider the whole month fair game for celebrating.

---

Taeeun doesn’t know how she gets roped into helping put the decorations up, but she does know it’s not happening without coffee. Jaehwa drums her fingers on the counter, squirming in her seat with impatience, humming “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” now as Taeeun opens the cabinets to find all her coffee replaced with ‘spiced eggnog’ and ‘peppermint blend’.

Behind her the drumming stops. “Oh, yeah! I thought you might like to get into the spirit, too.” Taeeun sighs, and turns on the coffeemaker.

As it turns out ‘spiced eggnog’ actually isn’t that bad, though Taeeun would never admit it. She wraps her hands around the thermos to warm them, watching Jaehwa teeter precariously at the top of the stepladder to string lights across the top of their apartment door. There’s a wreath, too, with bells and a huge red bow and Taeeun has no idea where Jaehwa’s possibly kept that in the months they’ve been living together.

(That had been Taeeun’s doing, shuffling from foot to foot and looking anywhere but at Jaehwa as she muttered, “Hey, um, my place is way too big for one person, so…”)

Jaehwa insists on decorating even the fire escape, which Taeeun will have no part in. It’s cold outside. Instead, she grudgingly tacks mistletoe to every doorway, wondering if they really need more excuses to kiss.

Maybe she doesn’t mind as much as she pretends to, though, when chilly hands slip under her pajama top and an ice cube of a nose presses itself into the back of her neck before Jaehwa leans around to press her lips to Taeeun’s cheek, whispering, “Thank you for helping, my hardworking girlfriend.”

---

When they’ve finally finished hanging and pinning (and, by the end of it, precariously balancing) every little snowman figurine and last bit of tinsel, Jaehwa claps her hands and looks around. “Great! Now all we need is a tree.”

Which is how Taeeun finds herself crammed into the passenger seat of Jaehwa’s car a few days later, bundled up to her ears with the heater on full blast and a CD of Christmas songs belting from the stereo. Jaehwa sings along the whole way to the tree farm.

She’s still caroling under her breath as they tromp through the rows of pines, Taeeun dragging the cart they’ll use to carry whichever one Jaehwa picks back. It hasn’t snowed yet but it has been a wet season, so there’s mud and squelching underfoot and Taeeun interrupts Jaehwan’s warbled rendition of “Here Comes Santa Claus” to complain about having to cut the tree down in conditions like this.

“We’ll get one of the boys to do it,” Jaehwa says absentmindedly, gaze settling on a monster fir a couple lines over. “Hey, what about that one!”

It’s way too big for our place, Taeeun starts to say, but Jaehwa’s already calling one of the workers over. “Hi cutie,” she bats her eyelashes, “could you give us a hand?” and suddenly Taeeun doesn’t care if this tree is ten feet tall or three, she is not letting someone else get it for her girlfriend. She snatches the saw from him and has it down in five minutes flat.

“My super strong girlfriend,” Jaehwa crows, hanging from her bicep as she lugs it to the processing station. A gust of biting wind makes her snuggle even closer, burying her face in Taeeun’s collar, teeth chattering as she says, “Hey, let’s get some cocoa.”

Jaehwa tastes like chocolate when Taeeun leans down from tying the tree onto the roof of the car, mumbling against , “Keep your stupid eyelashes under control.” Jaehwa grins, foam from her upper lip.

The tree is definitely too tall, top branches bent against their ceiling like it’s constantly tilting its head wondering what on earth Jaehwa is thinking (maybe Taeeun’s projecting a bit), but Jaehwa just perches the star topper on a lower branch at a jaunty angle. She steps back to admire it, wrapping an arm around Taeeun’s waist and laying her head contentedly on her shoulder, and Taeeun concedes in her mind that somehow a tree like this fits them. They’re all just making it work.

---

Hakyeon’s voice is so shrill it makes the line crackle with static and Taeeun hold the phone away from her ear. “What do you mean you haven’t gone gift shopping yet? You do know Christmas basically starts the day after Chuseok, right?”

Taeeun sighs. She sure knows how to pick ‘em. “Just come with me, okay?”

“Sure, sure, anything for my procrastinating Eun-ie.” Hakyeon’s voice brightens as an idea strikes her. “Hey, you can meet Wonsik!”

‘Wonsik’ turns out to be a questionably dressed giant; Taeeun, taller than most girls, isn’t used to having to look up at guys, and the neon orange beanie perched at the back of his head only makes him bigger. His handshake is firm, though, even when she squeezes hard in step one of the Protect Cha Hakyeon Boyfriend Testing Procedure™. (Jaehwa’s the one who named it that. Taeeun’s just trying to make sure her best friend doesn’t get hurt.)

He passes step two when he offers to hold Hakyeon’s bags but doesn’t keep insisting after she says she can handle them for now. They’re all stuff for Hakyeon anyway, Taeeun’s pretty sure, even though they’re supposed to be getting presents.

Taeeun ends up buying just a few things, a pretty blouse for Hakyeon because she’s got more clothes than she knows what to do with but she always wants more. A cute carrying case for Hongbi’s camera. A little trinket for each of her unnies, and a box of treats for her parents to share.

She spends the most time picking out Jaehwa’s gift, of course, looking through case after case of jewelry before finally settling on a silver charm bracelet she thinks will be beautiful against Jaehwa’s warm skin. She takes even longer to decide on the first charm.

When she turns from the counter Hakyeon’s standing next to her, watching Wonsik browse through a rack of hats. “He’s pretty cute, huh?” she says fondly.

“Hmm.” Wonsik knocks part of the display to the ground, scrambling to pick it up and glancing at them to check if they saw. Hakyeon waves cheerily, and Taeeun can see his blush from here. “I guess.”

Wonsik pulls her aside while Hakyeon’s in the restroom. “Hey, um,” he says in a low undertone. “I was thinking of getting me and Hakyeon couple rings for Christmas. Could I ask your help picking them out?” Taeeun nods, feeling a tiny smile tug at the corners of her lips. Hakyeon loves matching stuff. Maybe he’s all right, this guy.

When she gets home Jaehwa clamps a hand over her own eyes, squealing that she doesn’t want the surprise ruined yet even though Taeeun’s got everything tucked safely into its bag. She squeaks again when Taeeun kisses her under where her pinky finger is covering her nose, willing to work with a different kind of surprise for the moment.

---

Hongbi stamps the snow from her boots as Hakyeon carefully examines the squished-sideways tree in the living room, snapping shut with an audible click when Taeeun shoots her a warning glare, don’t say anything about it.

“Is that a limited edition Santa Harabeoji ornament?” she says instead, tapping it so it spins in place.

Jaehwa, taking Hongbi’s coat, practically visibly glows with pride. “You bet!” As they start chattering about Christmas goods, Taeeun has to resist rolling her eyes. How did she manage to find an equally childish girlfriend and best friend?

Hongbi grins at her, long sideswept bangs falling to her dimples past crescent-moon eyes. “So unnie, what can we do?”

They’re here, after all, to help prepare for tomorrow. Christmas Eve. Hosting parties isn’t Taeeun’s favorite thing in the world, but as the only ones in their group of friends who really have a place built for more than one person Jaehwa had pretty much volunteered their apartment the instant Taeeun had told her it was kind of a tradition between her and Hakyeon to do something together the day before Christmas. She’d convinced Taeeun with a pout and a promise that it would be small, just them and Hakyeon and Jaehwa’s friend Hongbi whom Taeeun’s already gotten to know, and maybe Wonsik and someone else if Hongbi decides to bring a date.

Speaking of which. “How’s Sanghyuk,” she tries to ask quietly, but Hakyeon’s head whips up from her conversation with Jaehwa.

“Ooh, yeah, how’s Hongbi noona doing with the cute sophomore?”

“He’s not cute,” Hongbi mumbles, cheeks turning a delicate pink.

“You’re his photography TA, right? ~,” Hakyeon trills, giggling.

She stops, though, when Taeeun asks musingly, “How old is Wonsik again?”

“Hongbi’s age, I believe,” Jaehwa replies, tapping a finger on her chin like she’s in deep contemplation. “You guys are taking senior seminar together, aren’t you?”

“Why yes,” Hongbi drawls. “Just like me, Wonsik is still in college.”

Jaehwa gives Hakyeon a little push. “Cradle robber.”

“Hey!” Hakyeon protests, cradling her shoulder like she’s been injured. “You and Taeeun are two years apart! And so are Hongbi and her boytoy.”

“My--!”

“Two years isn’t three,” Jaehwa says smugly. “Taeeun and I met after college, and at least Hongbi’s still in school with Sanghyuk. Dating a senior when you’ve already graduated, you’re totally the cougar here.”

Hakyeon puffs her cheeks out angrily, spinning to stalk toward the kitchen. “Respect your unnie! Shut up and do some work around here, you lazy bums!”

“Not your house,” Jaehwa calls after her, but gets only a flip of Hakyeon’s hair in return.

---

They get Hakyeon and Hongbi to do the cleaning, because it’s their apartment and they can make others do the boring chores if they want to. Taeeun studiously ignores the giggling and ominous crashing sounds that have Jaehwa rushing from the kitchen to make sure they’re not breaking any of her decorations.

“They’re fencing with the feather dusters,” she says, pouting as she takes the spoon of broth Taeeun’s holding out to her. They aren’t making all the food today, but there’s some they can prepare in advance - Taeeun’s cooking the jjigae now since it takes a while, so they can just heat it up before everyone comes over tomorrow.

“You can join them if you want.”

Jaehwa smacks her lips noisily, humming with pleasure at the taste. “Nah, I’d rather stay here with my domestic goddess girlfriend.”

Taeeun turns back to the pot, blaming the heat in her cheeks on the rising steam. In the living room, Hakyeon is shouting something about playing dirty, Hongbi, I raised you better than this! The oven chimes and Jaehwa smooths a hand across Taeeun’s back as she slides past her to turn the cookie tray. Taeeun breathes in deep, content to be right here.

Later, after Hakyeon and Hongbi have sprayed and wiped and scrubbed and, finally, gone home with many attempts to charm Jaehwa into giving them some cookies for the road, there’s still a faint aroma of cinnamon lingering in the air under the chemical smell of what’s probably every cleaner in the apartment, if Taeeun knows her friends. She snuggles into the blankets and tightens her grip on Jaehwa’s waist, burying her nose in her hair for the spice of her favorite shampoo and the note, more warmth than actual scent, that’s unmistakably Jaehwa. There’s nowhere else she’d rather be.

---

Jaehwa’s still in her arms this time when she wakes up, and she shakes her lightly, unable to suppress a tiny fond smile. There are times she thinks she likes sleeping Jaehwa best, all long eyelashes resting delicately on rosy cheeks and gentle snores that Taeeun will never admit are the most adorable thing in the world.

Then Jaehwa opens her eyes just enough to beam angelically at Taeeun with her hair a tangled halo of short soft waves around her face, and she thinks maybe she just likes Jaehwa.

She’s saved from dying of her own sappiness by the fact that they have to get up eventually if they’re going to be ready in time for tonight’s party, so they might as well now. Jaehwa groans but rolls out of bed when Taeeun prods her toward the edge.

Hakyeon calls while Jaehwa’s in the shower to tell them that Wonsik and Sanghyuk will in fact be coming, so Taeeun makes a mental note to get something small for each of them while they’re out buying the rest of the supplies today, just to make them feel welcome. As she’s ending the call a pair of warm damp arms snake around her waist and she turns to drop a kiss on Jaehwa’s nose, tugging at her towel so that she squeaks and clutches it closer, before heading into the bathroom herself.

Finally they’re ready. Their first stop is the bakery down the street, where Jaehwa spends an inordinate length of time comparing the different items before settling on the most garishly red white and green iced sponge cake. Taeeun’s pretty sure she can feel herself getting diabetes just looking at it, but Jaehwa grins as the clerk boxes it and won’t even let Taeeun carry it to the car.

After that it’s just snacks and drinks, Jaehwa seeming to think Taeeun doesn’t see her sneaking the carton of eggnog and box of candy canes into the cart. Taeeun herself throws in a package of banana milk, praying that Hakyeon doesn’t try to mix it with rum this time. They make a quick detour to the mall for Wonsik and Sanghyuk’s gifts, and then they’re home.

---

It seems like only minutes later but it must be hours after Taeeun dozes off on the couch with Jaehwa’s head pillowed in her lap that she’s startled awake with a crick in her neck by the chime of the doorbell. She slides out from under Jaehwa, and by the time she returns with Hakyeon and Wonsik in tow Jaehwa’s blinking blearily for the second time today.

“Cuuute,” Hakyeon coos, pulling on the mussed ends of Jaehwa’s hair until Jaehwa swats her away, hauling herself up to offer a hand for an introduction to Wonsik.

“He totally passes step one,” Jaehwa whispers in the kitchen as they’re getting everyone a round of drinks, a (non-alcoholic) banana milk for Hakyeon and a whatever Hakyeon’s having for Wonsik, eggnog for Jaehwa and nothing for Taeeun just yet. Taeeun nods, and then the doorbell’s ringing again and Jaehwa’s scurrying to let Hongbi and a very tall, very windswept young man in.

“You must be Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon says, bustling forward while Hongbi makes aborted throat-slitting motions from behind Sanghyuk. “Hongbi’s told us so much about you!”

He passes step one too, Taeeun decides when it’s her turn for a handshake, though she’s not sure whether there’s actually a need for a Protect Lee Hongbi Boyfriend Testing Procedure™. But Sanghyuk has a pleasant smile and a ready laugh that comes easily when he takes Hongbi’s coat for her before realizing he has no idea what to do with it, palming the back of his neck and handing it off to Jaehwa with eyes crinkled in self-deprecation, and Taeeun supposes those are all good signs.

It’s nice like this, the six of them flowing between kitchen and living room to the background sounds of some Christmas movie Jaehwa’s got on the TV. Eventually they’re all settled down, Hakyeon reigning from Wonsik’s lap on the armchair, Taeeun and Jaehwa on the loveseat, and Hongbi and Sanghyuk at opposite ends of the sofa, darting glances at each other when they think no one’s looking. There’s a few moments of confusion while they pass presents around, until they’ve each got a small festively wrapped pile in front of them and Hakyeon says “dig in!”

Taeeun searches through her pile until she finds the tag that reads To Eun-ie, because Hakyeon always sulks if Taeeun doesn’t open her gift first. She almost wishes she hadn’t, though, when she opens the box to find a lacy black matching bra and set. Immediately she slams the lid back down, shooting Hakyeon a glare; Hakyeon just gives her an outrageous wink and mouths you’re welcome.

Luckily everyone else is too busy with their own presents to notice Taeeun’s discomfiture. Hongbi’s exclaiming over the camera case and the tripod Sanghyuk’s apparently gotten her, happily throwing her arms around the boy in question who looks distinctly red in the face. Hakyeon’s holding the shirt up to check the fit, one hand already wearing her half of the couple rings, while Wonsik tries on one of what looks to be several new hats (Taeeun guesses she wasn’t the only one who had that idea).

Beside her, Jaehwa makes a little choked noise and Taeeun peeks over to see that she’s holding her gift, turning the bracelet to admire the intricate links and the tiny silver tree topped with a minuscule star. “To Jaehwa,” she reads from the card in a whisper, “the brightest star in my sky, for our first Christmas together and many more to come.

She looks up with shining eyes, and Taeeun barely has time to say “ah--don't cry--" before Jaehwa knocks her back against the arm of the sofa with the force of her hug.

“Do you really think so?” Her voice is muffled in Taeeun’s shoulder, but Taeeun just her hair and nods, knowing Jaehwa can feel the motion.

---

Later, Taeeun’s tidying up a little, putting away the book from Hongbi and the gyeongdan from Sanghyuk and the wine from Wonsik and, yes, even the lingerie. Everyone’s finally left, though not after Hakyeon had dragged Wonsik under the mistletoe for a shameless kiss (and Sanghyuk had worked up the nerve, just as he and Hongbi passed beneath it, to drop a shy peck on her blushing cheek while Hakyeon and Jaehwa cheered obnoxiously from where they were saying goodbyes at the entrance).

She’s just trying to decide where best to display the box set of her favorite drama that was Jaehwa’s gift when there’s a warm weight at her back. Turning, she settles her hands on Jaehwa’s hips and, at Jaehwa’s mischievous glance upward to the sprig still tacked to the doorframe above them, leans in with a tiny smile for a chaste kiss.

“Merry Christmas, my thoughtful sweetheart girlfriend,” Jaehwa murmurs against her lips, and Taeeun feels her smile grow. She’s looking forward to next Christmas already, and to all the ones after that.