Prologue

Fragment of a Blade
PROLOGUE
He his dry lips. Groaning as he feels another wave of heat hits him. It’s summer again, and somehow he kind of misses spring already. He looks at his surroundings. Empty seats, dust covered wooden tables, and he certainly has no intention for moving from behind the counter. Sitting on his own chair and slumps against the wooden surface.

Byun Baekhyun, 24, and is having an insomnia for days. No, he has no problem with his health. He believes even for someone in his condition, his body is pretty much healthy. The reason you might ask, is because of the loud sounds of logs being dragged, and men’s shouts. Baekhyun appreciates it if they decide it’s better to work only when everything filled with sunshine.

Someone most definitely need to tell them that. Or maybe, shouting directly to their ears.

“Another sleepless night?”

Baekhyun jerks on his seat as his eyes meet a lazy gaze of a man. The man takes a sit on one of the chair in front of the counter. He smiles at Baekhyun who looks less than amused. “What can I help?” Baekhyun asks with a frown on his face. It’s a bad decision to startles a sleep deprived man.

The man in front of him laughs a little. “It’s more like, what can I help for you?” he tells Baekhyun. “You know you can always sleep in my place”.

Baekhyun snorts. “And then, you will ask for payment? Thank you very much, I’m much more broke than you are,” he says with a joke tone on his voice. “Maybe, it’s because the bed or something”.

However, the person in front of him gives him a skeptical look.

“What?” Shouted Baekhyun, an annoyed look on his face. The other shakes his head and murmurs ‘nothings’. Baekhyun yawns before resting his head on top of the counter, one of his arm used for pillow-like purpose. “If you don’t want to say anything, I’m going to sleep,” he announces before closing his eyes, in hope somehow his exhausted body will find a way to send him to the dream island.

“Sleep well,” he heard the other said. And, also trying not to notice that his older friend is sneaking in to the bar, probably helping himself with some drink from the kitchen. As he was left alone once more, Baekhyun opens his eyes slightly, titling his head to the side.

Baekhyun takes something out of his pants. His fingers carefully take it out until he could see the thing on his hold – a piece of once black colored blade. He has a blank look on his face before shaking his head. He throws the sharp thing on the counter, and it makes a clanking sounds.

“No, it’s not that,” he told to his self. Shut his eyes tightly, and wishing a dream full of white and nothingness. A simple dream that could take him away from the burden in his head. Although, perhaps, his mind is too busy to grant him that.


 

layout by dream_keeper88