T-Junction

Yellow Pedals

The cold morning wind blew her hair softly while she was closing the wooden door. It also touched her neck skin which could make her shivering, but she was too lazy to back inside in order to take her scarf. She hoped her uniform would be enough to protect her from the cold in this cloudy morning. 

She set earphone to her ears and played the player application in her phone. She shuffled the songs, pattern locked her phone, then put it inside her uniform pocket. 5tion's 'Love Love Love' was the first song played to start the new day, Wednesday. 

She stepped downstairs from her house terrace, walking to the red bike which was parked near the gate. It was usually parked in the garage, but the sky convinced her to park her bike near the gate. Seemed like the sky had prepared a nice weather for her bike. She went out from her house area with her red bike,

"I will comeback!" she shouted, and left. 

~~~

Wet streets and wet leaves decorated the whole city. The situation indicated that last night was raining quite hard enough. Ponds were everywhere so that she needed to opted the right path. 

She still walked with her bike on her right side. She kept walking, not being upon her bike, until she finally arrived near a bus shelter at the T-Junction. A bus stopped at the shelter while she was getting on her bike, then the bus went on again since no passenger got off and no people were waiting for a bus at that shelter. Only her at the shelter but she didn't intend to take a bus to school. 

When the bus went again, someone was following the bus behind. That someone wasn't running to catch the bus because he also didn't need the bus. He was cycling his bike. 
She also started to cycle her bike and followed him. 

He wore different school uniform to her. Unlike her who put her bag into the basket at the front side of her bike, he used his backpack because his bike has no basket. He used headphone to listen to the songs in his iPod nano that he put inside his pants pocket. 

She decided to play with him by cycling faster so that she could beat him and being in front of him. Succeeded. She smirked, quite happy. Only in a few seconds, she was surprised by the appearance of this boy next to her. He cycled faster than her and now he was the one in front of her. He toggled his sight a bit to the back, looking at her from the corner of his eyes, then smirked back. 

It absolutely made her gone mad. She stared at his bike pedals, in order to increase her anger level. When the power in her had been so much better than before, she tried cycling faster and faster, beating him. This boy still didn't want to lose in this competition, he cycled faster than her and she kept on her speed. Really wanted a victory, she cycled faster and faster. 

She laughed, feeling that she had won. She decided to look back. That boy had disappeared.

~~~

She set her alarm clock at the exact time as yesterday's time when she woke up. She didn't have her breakfast, saying that she was in hurry,

"Would you like to bring two boxes for breakfast and lunch?"

"No, thank you," then she closed the door. 

She directly cycled her red bike going to her school through the usual route. The streets were not really as wet as yesterday. Not too slippery. The blowing wind also was not as cold as yesterday. Sun shone brightly in the Thursday morning. Even the dazzling sunbeam almost annoyed her sight. 

Leaves were still wet. Not because of the rain, but the dew. The scent of dew she could inhale alongside the street while she kept cycling. Until she stopped at the bus shelter at the T-Turn, again. She looked at her white watch, a bit worrying expression on her face. She thought that she was too quick. 

While still looking at her watch, something passed by in front of her so fast. It wasn't a bus, and she was thankful about it. She rapidly followed him behind. 

Today, she didn't want to beat his speed. She only wanted to follow him and knowing where he was going. She kept balancing her speed with him and the distance. 

A name was written on a chain that was hung on his bag zipper and kept swinging,

"Si Hoo?" she spoke his name too loud until causing him to look at his surroundings. Today, he only circled his headphone on his neck. She kept a perfect distance so that he couldn't recognize her appearance behind him. 

Si Hoo's speed was decreasing and getting slower. He then turned right and disappeared at the another T-Turn. She looked at his back that was starting to fade away while she was going straight at the T-turn. Unconsciously, her lips drew a soft curve. 

Suddenly, she heard an annoying sound. The sound was from her stomach. She regreted not to bring one more box for breakfast. Only because of this Si Hoo. She didn't want to be late or she wouldn't have a chance to see him today and knowing his direction.

~~~

She woke up earlier than yesterday so she could have her breakfast and didn't need to bring two boxes of food because it would make her bag even heavier. As usual, she quickly grabbed her bike just like in hurry. Or she was really in hurry. 

She arrived at the usual T-Junction and stopped at the bus shelter, waiting for that boy, Si Hoo. She looked at her white watch, paying attention to the second needle that was ticking. She waited patiently for Si Hoo who would pass with his blue bike with a white saddle, black carrier, and bright yellow pedals. 

But fate led to another fact when a bus passed. She looked at the bus windows by chance. Her eyes were widened, a bit unsure of what she saw inside the bus. She saw a school boy sat at the fifth row exactly next to the window. He used a headphone while closing his eyes. His head was banging to the beat. He was Si Hoo. 

She followed the bus and cycled faster. She cycled her bike next to the bus, balancing the speed. Her legs were a bit hurt but she tried to ignore all the pain. When her bike had already at the right speed, she waved her hand to the window. Hoping Si Hoo would see her. She kept waving and smiling like an insane girl. She didn't give a damn at the various responses from other passengers inside the bus. 

Eventually, Si Hoo slowly opened his eyes, toggled his sight from the front to his right side facing the window. He was surprised with what he saw outside the window. He couldn't keep his eyes off that someone outside who was waving and smiling brightly to him. Si Hoo blinked for a couple of times and took his headphone off. 

When the bus turned to the right, Si Hoo turned around a bit. He still wanted to see her. Although she had already been fading away behind the bus and she had different direction to him.

~~~

She was there, again, at the T-junction. Under the bus shelter, exactly. She was waiting for him, Si Hoo. Her face drew a bad feeling in her. Thank God, she didn't need to wait for more minutes because Si Hoo finally came. She rapidly got on her bike and cycled chasing Si Hoo. After succeeding to balance the speed, she started the first ever conversation with Si Hoo,

"Good morning," she greeted. Si Hoo only looked at her awhile then his sight was back straight to the front again,

"Morning," he replied coldly. She went to the point because she knew the next T-turn where they would go to different way and be separated was only a few metres away at the front,

"Unusually, why didn't you cycle to your school yesterday? You went there by bus instead," she asked him. Silence for a couple of seconds. Si Hoo exhaled the air from his mouth, he casually answered her question in a simple way,

"Because I only want to cycle to school if there is you on the way," but then he tried not to look at her. She blushed,

"Oh, but I always cycle to school,"

"Two days before, I didn't see you,"

"It was because I only want to follow you from behind, knowing where you were going and why did you disappear," she explained. Si Hoo stopped his bike which made her shocked and also stopped her bike. She felt something was wrong. Si Hoo paid attention to her uniform,

"If you don't mind, I will pick you up at your school. I know you go to the same school as my cousin. See you after school," he cycled his bike again, intend to turn right, but then he stopped again,

"By the way I'm Si Hoo,"

"Don't worry, the chain has told me since the day before yesterday," she smiled and waved to him,

"So?"

"I'm waiting for you after school," then they went to each other's direction.

~~~