i'll keep you warm

winter chill

It's freezing in the dorm. The vent in Yoongi's room is useless, so he has to sleep in an embarassing amount of layers while the others are content in their basic pajamas and blankets. He feels the chill in his bones one day. It's warmer out in the living room but he doesn't really feel the improvement. He's still numb from his own room that feels maybe three degrees warmer than it is outside at any given time. His skin is dry and his wrists burn from him constantly rubbing at them to warm them up.


He comes out of his room one day to write lyrics and he looks like he just got back from a winter expedition in Antarctica, and Jimin didn't even know he owned that many coats. He takes them off when he realizes how silly he must look and then he's back to shivering. He sits in the reclining chair, with one leg bent under him while the other dangles. He is wearing three socks on each foot, and he still can't feel his toes. The room is silent, the maknae line having left for early vocal practice and the older members are doing their own things.


When he realizes writing lyrics won't work, all of his letters coming out as scribbles, so poorly formed from all his shivering that even he can't make them out, he tosses his notepad on the floor and groans. Suddenly, a video he'd wanted to show Hoseok pops into his head and he calls for him. Hoseok appears promptly, eyeing the notepad on the floor for a moment before looking at Yoongi.
"Yeah, hyung?"

 

"I had this video I wanted to show you, I just remembered. Come here." Hoseok does as he is told with a smile on his face because Yoongi always finds the funniest videos. They're funny in an interesting way, that's sardonic and almost melancholy but definitely strange. That's Yoongi's sense of humor. Hoseok sits next to Yoongi in the chair. With Yoongi's slim body occupying it, there is more than enough left over room. Yoongi cherishes the warmth Hoseok's body brings when he sits down next to him. He's like a human furnace. Yoongi get out his phone to get the video up, and Hoseok notices his trembling hands as he slides his fingers. When he's typing in the title of the video, he makes 16 typos all because his fingers are shaking. Hoseok takes the phone out of his hand before he drops it and then asks if he can just tell him the title so that he can type it. Yoongi flushes, embarassed, and then Hoseok puts the phone aside.


"You're shivering so bad, you must be freezing." Hoseok says, reaching out to feel Yoongi's fingers. He pulls back instantly.


"God, hyung! They feel like ice cubes. Is it really that cold in your room?" Yoongi nods, but Hoseok isn't sure if it a nod or a badly timed shiver, so he doesn't read into it. 


"I'll keep you warm, it's okay. Here's your phone." He hands the phone to Yoongi so that he can hit play and then wraps his arms around Yoongi's waist, rubbing his hands down Yoongi's cool arms. The skin is soft to the touch but freezing, and Hoseok intertwines their legs. Yoongi tries not to make things awkward with his shy facial expression and laughs nervously at the parts of the video that he doesn't find that funny. Hoseok smiles during the whole thing, goofy laughter echoing in the quiet room. There is one joke near the very end of the video, short and unexpcted, a joke that Yoongi forgot was there, and it takes them both of guard with how funny it is. They shake against each other with their laughter and Yoongi leans his head on Hoseok's chest without thinking about it. His cheeks are flushed like he just came in from outside and he's not sure that it's just because he's cold. 


Hoseok sees color returning to Yoongi's cheeks and smiles.


"Ha! See, it's working. Let's speed up the process." It's an innocent enough statement and Hoseok's warm hands run down Yoongi's sides vigorously, tickling Yoongi a bit. Yoongi laughs, curling in on himself.


"Ah, hyung, you're so tiny." Hoseok giggles. 


"Hoseok, I'm tired." Yoongi says.


"Okay, I'll get the blankets!" Hoseok untangles himself from Yoongi to get some blankets and pillows. 


"W-what?" Yoongi asks, confusion consuming his features. Hoseok soon returns, using his knee to support his pile. 


"Come on, we're going in my room."


"We...are?" 
"Yeah, I went in your room to grab your blanket and damn, it was freezing. I don't know how you survive in there, so to my room it is." Yoongi averts his eyes.


"Isn't..Jin in there?"


"Yeah! He's usually asleep by now. We can still talk. He's a heavy sleeper." Yoongi smiles, tries not to seem too eager.


"Okay."


Hoseok leads the way to his bedroom, handing Yoongi a few blankets so that he can turn the doorknob and then throws the blankets on the floor. He instructs Yoongi to lay on the bed and the statement makes Yoongi laugh nervously. It's a lot warmer in Hoseok's room than Yoongi's. It smells nice, too. In Yoongi's room there is no smell at all, to him, because it's so cold that he can't feel his nose, but it probably smells like cherries and body spray. He can't quite explain what Hoseok's room smells like, but it smells...homey.


Hoseok piles blankets on top of Yoongi until he complains that he can't move. Hoseok laughs and throws one more on for good measure before climbing into the bed himself. He assumes his earlier position, snaking his arms around Yoongi's tiny waist and tangling their legs together. 
"What if one of us has to get up to pee?" Yoongi asks, laughing. Hoseok laughs the squeak laugh he has and thinks for a moment.
"Untangle yourself...very, very carefully." Yoongi slaps him on the shoulder lightly. He considers his position for a second and looks for a place to put his head.


"Um..uh.." Hoseok can sense Yoongi's awkwardness and smiles.


"Put your head on my chest." He says. Yoongi takes the suggestion. Hoseok's chest is so warm and solid and he smells really good. He's really comfortable, and Yoongi unknowingly lets out a content sigh, like a sleepy cat. He yawns and rubs his eyes, and then holds Hoseok's arm because he feels restrained if he's not holding on to something too. 


"Oh, crap." Hoseok says.


"What?" Yoongi says. 


"Who's gonna turn out the light?"


"...." Yoongi says. They end up texting Jimin, who they hear laughing upon his arrival, and he sighs when he comes in.


"Really hyungs, why couldn't you do it yourse-" He takes in the older boys tangled in each other and smiles wide.


"Yah, what is this? I get it now." He laughs and switches off the light. "Cute." He mutters under his breath before he leaves, closing the door. The two don't look at each other after that and Yoongi can feel his eyelids getting heavy.


"You're so warm.."  Yoongi kind of whines it, which he definitely wouldn't do if he was fully awake and Hoseok chuckles. Yoongi feels it when he does.


"I'm glad I could be of service." When Yoongi falls asleep, he is smiling and Hoseok is looking at him fondly. Gently, he leans down and pecks Yoongi on the forehead and then smiles to himself, before he closes his eyes to submit to sleep. 


"Sleep well, Yoongi hyung." He whispers.

Seokjin wakes up to the sight in the bed across from his. At first, he thinks he must be seeing things. He rubs the sleep out of his eyes and then realizes that he was right the first time. His dongsaengs sleeping together, their limbs intertwined with smiles on their faces. He snaps a few pictures with his phone for blackmail/appreciation and then leaves, the first one to wake up.


When Yoongi wakes up, he is confused because he's much warmer than usual and he actually feels well rested, then he realizes there are arms around his waist and he's really confused. His head is resting on something warm and solid and then he remembers that he fell asleep in Hoseok's bed last night.


In Hoseok's arms.


The thought makes Yoongi happier than it should, maybe. Yoongi tries not to move, so that he doesn't wake Hoseok. He doesn't exactly try to go back to sleep. His skin is so warm and he's too aware, but he relishes the warmth Hoseok offers all the same, enjoys the feeling of his arms wrapped around his waist. He doesn't remember falling asleep, but that probably means he was so comfortable in Hoseok's arms that he wasn't thinking anymore. He felt protected and safe and cared for, as lame as that sounds. He feels Hoseok stir under him and he opens his eyes. Hoseok makes a groaning sound and then removes a hand from Yoongi's waist to rub at his eyes. When he remembers that there is someone next to him, that it's Yoongi, he smiles. He hugs Yoongi tight and then laughs.


"Wah, I woke up and I was so confused, hyung." Yoongi smiles wide.

 
"Me too," He laughs. "I was scared I got kidnapped or something." Suddenly Yoongi remembers something he felt in the middle of night, he wasn't sure if he dreamt it or not, but he kind of hoped he hadn't.


"It's funny," He says. "I dreamt that you pecked me on the cheek." Hoseok suddenly looks away.


"Ah, did you? That is funny." He says. There is a nervous glint in his eyes that Yoongi does not question, and then they begrudgingly untangle their limbs, blushing when Yoongi's hand that has curled itself into a fist on Hoseok's chest while he slept accidentally brushes his . Neither of them mention it and Yoongi realizes too late that he is pouting.


"What's wrong, hyung?"


"You're so..comfy." Hoseok checks the clock. It's still early.


"Well..we have a few hours.." Yoongi smiles deviantly and heads back under the covers, snuggling into Hoseok with ease. Hoseok chuckles at his eagerness and rubs a hand soothingly down his back.


Neither of them stop to think about what all of this means, and Seokjin shows off the pictures to everyone, cooing over his cute dongsaengs.