c a f e

A Journey for Meeting You

chapter one: cafe


I  stared at the mp3 player. I couldn’t believe myself. ‘Is this a stupid prank?’ I thought. But I couldn’t figure out who’s the person doing this. I shook my head. “No one likes me,” I said to myself. But I didn’t mind. The person has a calm, y voice, and I wouldn’t mind falling asleep to the voice.

My thoughts were interrupted by a message coming through my phone. I’m surprised. A voice message, just like the person said. I clicked the voice message and listened.

“Hi there beautiful.”

A smile crept up to my face. Even though I did not know who this person was, I felt flattered by the compliment.

“Just like I mentioned in the mp3 player, I’ll give you an address, and I really want you to go there. If you decide to ignore, you’ll never know who I am and your curiosity will remain unanswered. Certainly you want some answers right?”

I unconsciously nodded. Then I heard a chuckle from the voice message. It was the most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard.

“As you got to the place I told you, I want you to play the next tape. And I’ll tell you why I need you to go to that place”

I continued listening to the message and jotted down the address of the place I needed to go. As the tape finished playing, someone entered my room

“Hey babe, what are you doing?”

“Oh, nothing, just writing down some notes,” I said to my boyfriend, Jimin. We’re in a relationship for almost 3 years now, reminding me that next month is our anniversary.

“You need to go somewhere?” He asked in a lazy tone, sitting on my bed, with a bored look on his face.

“No, actually, yes. Why?” I shoved the mp3 player in my pocket. I turned around and stood in front of Jimin. He looked at me up and down before he grabs my wrist and pulls me towards him, making me fall on top of him.

“Why don’t you just stay babe,” He whispered into my ear, lightly biting my earlobe.

“But I can’t, Jimin, it’s important,” I said. He stared into my eyes as he let out a sigh.

“Sure, go do whatever that’s much more important than me,” He stood up and left my room. I let out a sigh. He rarely comes home because he’s busy with his dad’s company work and when he does come home, I am the one who’s busy.

I wore something casual and went downstairs when I saw Jimin grabbing his car keys. He wore a studded black leather jacket and skinny jeans. His hair is styled up, unlike his usual 'bowl' hair.

“Where are you going?” I asked him. He gulped down a glass of water.

“I’m going out with my friends. You go by yourself,” He replied without turning around. I sighed again. I looked through the curtains and saw him going inside his Porsche before driving away

I went outside and headed to the place mentioned in the tape, curiosity filled my mind. I didn’t know who the voice in the tape belongs to, but I still followed what he said. I was also scared if this was a trap; maybe some evil genius guy planned this and then took advantage of me. But if it is, he would’ve just knocked on my door and attacked me. I shook all my thoughts and before I knew it, I had arrived already.

I stared at the place and then back on the note where I wrote down the address of the place. It was an old cafe, I used to go here with my friend Julie but I stopped coming here since Julie moved away. It was my second home back then.

I stepped into the cafe and was greeted by the sound of the doorbell and the fresh smell of coffee. I looked around and sat at the far back of the cafe, isolating myself from the people.

“What would you like miss?” A waiter came up to my table.

“Just a cup of Americano please,” I said. The waiter nodded and left the table, leaving me alone.

I took out the mp3 player and adjusted the earphones to my ear and started playing the next tape.

“Ahem. By playing this tape, you are already in the cafe I ordered you to go. Good girl,”

I heard a chuckle from the voice and I unconsciously smiled.

“So, let me tell you why this cafe is somewhat special to me. It was on a Wednesday morning, I sat on the table, sipping my Americano while reading the newspaper, just like my usual morning. I sat facing the door, so I was easily able to see who came in and who walked out,”

I paused the tape and the waiter came to my table with my Americano. “Thanks,” I said to the waiter. The waiter nodded and left. I played the tape.

“It was then I heard the doorbell ring, I looked up and I saw a beautiful girl walked into this cafe, smiling brightly. I swear her teeth is shining,”

I blushed deeply. Is that a compliment?

“I thought that girl was alone, but I thought wrong. She turned around and I saw the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen, more beautiful than her friend. It was you,”

I face palmed myself. I thought the first girl was me.

“Your hair looks extremely soft; I wish to run my hands through your soft hair. Your smile is intoxicating. I wanted to say hi to you but I refrained myself. You and your friend sat on the table in front of me, with you sitting facing towards me. I took a few glances when you look away, but when you talk to your friend, I hid myself behind the newspaper. You laughed and smiled so much with your friend, I thought you were the happiest person there,”

I tried to recall the day I went to the cafe with Julie. I can’t remember which day it was though.

“Suddenly you stood up. I pretended to read the newspaper. And then you bumped on my table because you weren’t looking properly. You said sorry a couple of times before you went back to your table and your friend laughed at you. I must confess, I laughed at you too,”

Ah! Now I remember. It was the day when Jimin asked me out. I think I was extremely happy back then because Jimin was my first crush. I bumped into a table and I was so embarrassed, I apologised a couple of times. Julie laughed at me so bad her stomach cramped up from too much laughing. But I can’t make out the face of the person who sat there.

“And then you and your friend stood up and went to pay for the drinks, and then you stepped out of the cafe. I thought to myself, when will I ever see you again? I was determined to make sure I could see you again, so I did some homework.”

Your eyes widened. Now it just seems like he’s stalking you.

“Now, it may sound as if I’m stalking you, but trust me I’m not a creep. I did some homework and finally found your address, and that’s where I started this whole thing. It’s nice to know that you’re hearing this, pretty,”

You blushed deeply. You didn’t even know who this man guy is but you’re already blushing with his compliments. From an mp3 player.

“Now part one is complete. Another voice message will come through your phone, so you just wait. Have a good day, angel,”

And the mp3 player went silent. You smiled, but unsure whether to trust this guy who the voice belongs to and follow his orders, or just ignore it. But it's for you, and you want to know who this guy is, so you decided to play along.

You finished your coffee and was about to pay for your coffee at the counter when the cashier stops you.

“Your bills have been paid by someone else, no need to worry,” the cashier said. You were stunned.

“What? Who paid it?” You asked the cashier. The cashier just smiled and shrugged.

“The person has told me to keep it a secret, I gave him my word. But he did leave me this. He said to give it to you,” the cashier handed me a card with small hearts at the corner, and the middle of it was a handwriting that wrote “Smile, that’s the best accessory you could wear” on it. I smiled.

“You are a lucky person, miss,” the cashier continued. I smiled and went outside. You were smiling all the time, you didn't even realize, someone is watching you.


Chapter one is up, wrote this one since last week and I was unsure whether to publish this chapter. 

Oh, and Happy Chinese New Year to those who celebrate it! I want some oranges :P

And do leave some comments below. I appreciate it heart