Butterflies Won't Go Away

Key to My Heart

Chen sighs as he watches Lay quietly make his way into his shared room. He looks around and spots Xiumin and scoots over on the couch and nudges the boy who is currently flipping through an old magazine. "Hey do you think something is up with Lay?"

Xiumin glances up at Chen and shrugs his shoulders. "What do you mean?"

"Well.." Chen scratches the back of his neck. "Its just I've been noticing some stuff. Like hes always been quiet but now a days its like he doesn't talk at all. Hes been acting strange is all. I mean he doesn't even go practicing with Kai in the dance studio anymore."

At this Xiumin eyes fly to Chen. "What? Since when?"

Its Chens turn to shrug. "Over time I guess hes been going less and less each week. He stays locked up in his room. I think the only person he talks to anymore is Suho."

"What about Kris they are best friends and use to share a room before Suho changed it."

Chen breathes in deeply while leaning his head back against the couch. "Nah from what I can tell unless people are around Lay avoids Kris, but you may be right. I'll go ask Kris in a while if he knows what is up, it may just be a fight they had that has Lay all out of sorts."

 


 

About an hour later Kris walks in head down and headphones on his ears. He quickly makes his way to his room and grabs his notebook to jot down some ideas. As he is writing his door opens and Chen leans against the frame as he watches the tall blond scribbling away. "Kris?" The blond just continues to bob his head to the beat and write some stuff down. Pushing away from the frame Chen walks over to the boys desk and grabs the notebook away causing the blond to look up in surprise. He pulls his headphones off and looks at Chen.

"Hey man whats up?'

"Do you know what is going to on with Lay?"

The blonds eyebrows scrunch together in confusion. "Lay? Didn't know anything was wrong with him." He sees Chen sigh and put his notebook back on the desk.

"You really haven't noticed hes been off lately. Not talking or joking with the members, or going to extra dance practices with Kai? How he avoids being alone with you? Did you guys have a fight or something?"

Kris listens to the barrage of questions the last two catching his attention. He thinks back to the last few month and starts to see what Chen is talking about. "No we didn't have a fight so I don't know what it could be. I'll go speak with him is he in his room?" Chen smiles and nods feeling happy with himself for at least bringing the problem to attention. 

Kris walks down the hall and knocks on Lays door waiting a second and hears nothing. He tries the doorknob and its turns so he lets himself in and sees Lay laid out on the bed scribbling in his own notebook. His head raises as he finishes and his eyes widen in surprise.

"Yifan? What are you doing here?" He scrambles to sit up and places the now closed notebook in the drawer of his nightstand.

"Well I wanted to talk to you." Kris sits on the opposite bed and looks at Lay. "Chen brought some stuff to my attention a minute ago and I myself am a bit curious."

"To what?"

"Why you been acting strange. Please don't try to deny it."

Lay looked away from Kris and fought down the panic raising inside of him. 

"What have I been doing to be labeled as acting strange if I may ask." Lays eye remained glued to the floor knowing that he may spill everything if he looks at the blond.

"Lets see you haven't been talking to anyone and locking yourself away in your room for one. Two, you haven't been dancing which you absolutely love. Finally.." Kris ducked his head trying to get Lay to look at him which failed since the boy was determined to look away from him. "You've been avoiding me unless other people are present. That leads me and Chen to believe that the problem lays with me. So what I want to know is what did I do?"

"I just have been busy with my thoughts and haven't noticed that I've been neglecting the others. As for dancing with all the promotions I've been too tired to even want to dance."

"And me?"

"What about you?"

"Why have you been avoiding me?"

Lay glanced up and away a subtle blush gracing his cheeks. He inwardly cringed at his behavior. 

"Well I didn't mean to avoid you it just happened Kris gege"

Kris stared at the man in front of him, he had noticed the blush and it intrigued him. It also gave him a thought as to what might have Lay avoiding him.

"So its just coincidental not because you might like me more then a friend?" Kris watched closely waiting to see Lays reaction.

Lay knew this was a test and he was smart or at least he like to think so most days. He left his head and laughed.

"Really Kris? Its purely coincidental that I have been avoiding you." Lay breathed in and stood up and opened the door for Kris. "If you will leave now since I need to get ready to go to the store with Tao."

Kris got up and left thinking about what happened. So he might just be tired out and forgetful about others. Kris shrugged and went to find Chen to tell him what he found out.  

 


 

While out with Tao he decided to finally do it. He was acting strange because of this damn crush and he was sick of it as much as the others. He sighed which of course grabbed Taos attention. "Whats wrong Lay?"

"My heart is stupid" This made Tao crack up. "Yah! Its not funny!"

"Sorry gege but is this why you've been weird these past few weeks?" Lay nodded as he walked beside Tao. "Are you going to confess then?"

Lay stopped in his tracks and shook his head. "No no no no I can't!" 

Tao turned to look at him. "Why not?"

Lay looked down and bit his lip. "I don't want to see the look of disgust on his face when I tell him."

Taos eyes widen "HIM? Like as in a dude?"

A blush blossomed on his cheeks as he nodded.

Tao squealed and grabbed Lays hands jumping up and down. "Who is it? Who is it? Who????"

"Yah calm down! Its..... " Lay looked away from Tao. "Kris."

"WAH!!! KRIS GEGE!?"

"YAH! Shut up." Lay face palmed himself. "Why did I even tell you?"

"Sorry just unexpected.. I thought it would Chen or maybe Xiumin." At Lays questioning look he shrugged. "I don't know just came to mind especially since you hang out with them more then Kris."

They walked in silence for awhile before Tao snapped his fingers in excitement. "I know! Go old school and write him a love letter!"

Lay smiled, he had thought of that but thought it would be too cliche. "Alright lets just get home."

When they arrived Lay went to his room and waited for the dinner to be ready. As he waited he pulled out his notebook and decided to start on his confession. 

 


 

Two hours later the boys were seated around the table eating and joking with each other. Lay even jumped in the conversation and had a mini food fight with Chen that got them both in trouble and cleaning duty for the rest of the week. Kris and Chen were pleased with the change. After dinner was done and everything cleaned everyone gathered in the living room to watch movies. While everyone got settled Lay slipped into Kris' room and left his letter on the bed before heading to the living room himself. The only spot left was by Tao which made him smile. Kris watched as Lay snuggled into Taos side and grinned. The lights were turned off and the movie started. An hour later the lights were switched back on and everyone rubbed their eyes and started heading for their rooms, all except Lay and Chen.

Panic was raising in him again and he fought down the urge to run to Kris' room to get his letter back. Instead he slipped on his shoes and grabbed a light jacket and told Chen he was going for a brief walk. Chen nodded and told him to be careful.

 


 

Kris walked into his room and quickly pulled off his shirt and pants leaving him in his green boxers. He flopped down and jumped when he heard a crumpling noise under him. He got up and found a piece of paper with his name on it staring up at him. He grabbed it and looked around before unfolding it and sitting down. His eyes ran across the words over and over trying to soak them in. He placed the paper on his nightstand and got up and began pacing the room. After awhile and running his hand through his hair more times then he count he sat back down and grabbed the letter and reread it.

 

Dear Yifan

   Where to start? Its hard to write this because its going to change our relationship completely for the good or bad I don't know yet. It scares me really to know I may lose a close friend, no, a best friend. Its easy to write this because its been bubbling inside me since the day we met. You put on the spot earlier today, I didn't know what to say to you when you called me out on my behavior, still don't honestly but I'm trying anyway. My mind drifts away with the possibilities of what you might do when you find out the real reason for my actions. I didn't want to look a fool in front of you, not even a bit confused but you get me all nervous and I panicked. Its like you can see through everything I do and everything I say. Its way lately I have a hard time looking you in the eye. Every morning I wake up and imagine the day playing out in a thousand different way, most of them ending happy while others make my chest tighten in pain and fear. Even know I frighten about how you will respond to what I'm saying. I asked myself  'Am I getting lost in my dreams is he unreachable to me?' Its been said that one won't know unless they try and that is what I'm doing. If I never tell you then you'll never know. I try not to speak to much in front you cause I know I will start to stutter like a idiot. My knees get weak especially with that little smirk you seem to always send me after a great performance. I want nothing more to say I've got a huge crush on you but I know I would be lying once more. I love you Wu Yifan! I've got nothing to lose and only you to gain, so tell me, Yifan do you feel the same? I know this might be a lot to take in but I'll wait. Please don't hate me or be disgusted I just wanted to let you know that you have the key to my heart.

Sincerely Yixing

 

Lay quietly walked in the dorm and slid off his shoes and removed his jacket. It had been enough time for him to read the letter and go to sleep. He sighed and walked into the living freezing when he saw Kris sitting on the couch holding his letter, seeming to read it again. The blond hadn't noticed Lay yet so he tried make it to his room but was stopped by the blonds deep voice.

"Yixing stop.... we need to talk."


 

 

AN: Sorry guys for the long wait its been what 3 weeks since I said it was suppose to be up. It feels a bit rushed but its in its natural state completely unpolished (not edited cept this authors note xD) Hope you at least found some amusement in this and sorry for the cliffy it just seemed done for me. I may or may not make a sequel *shrugs* we shall see later :)

Bye guys and thanks to everyone who shows some love to the story