T H E O N E.

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was always raised to believe that men were a race of humans, like us, women – minus the part where their existence holds such a strong threat against ours now.

 

“Mamma, why do I have to stay away and not play with boys?”

 

“It's because they're bound to hurt you my dear. Before, I was too lenient and naïve. Not once did I hesitate when I followed even beckon and call of your father. But alas, when I finally realized what he was just after, I was too late.”

 

“He hurt you bad? In here, Mamma?”

 

You leaned your head on her chest, hearing ever beat resonate throughout your mother's body.

 

“Yes, but above all the nasty things that have happened though, there'll be only one thing that I'd thank him for ever giving me – the chance to be a mother of someone as precious as you, dear Lian.”

 

Never did I doubt my beloved Mamma's virtues, even after she had departed from this world, I still kept myself deeply rooted to her warnings. Not once did I ever see my Mamma's face, but I've always felt that she must've been as radiant as the moon, as warm as the sun and as soft as cotton.

 

Oh yes, I am a blind one.

 

I was born with it, much to my dismay. But never did I complain. Because sometimes, hearing all the terrible stories from the people around me about what's happening to our world nowadays, I'd rather stay this way – be blind for all they care – I wouldn't trade this situation to see how the world rots with evil and deceit.

 

Being blind, I was never given the chance to see, but alas, my sense for feeling was as intensified as one of a sharp bird's. I've never dreamed of seeing anymore. I was content of what I have now.

 

Until that fateful night happened to me . . .

 

. . . And it had changed my life FOREVER.

I couldn't see it but hearing everything made me feel as if I could witness every detail in the clearest view possible.

 

Breaking Bolts. Wrecking Walls. Busting Windows. Piercing Screams. Hopeless Cries.

 

I wanted to help just as much,but what could I do? No one was bound and obliged to help me but myself. I can't even help myself well, considering how my eyes had given me such a disadvantage.

 

And so, I ran.

 

But my feet got stuck.

 

There it went, going off in my head once again – Mamma's warning.

 

“You can't let them have you, my dear Lian. Do everything you can to keep yourself away from their race. All they'd care for is power, wealth and pride. They'd never show any one of us mercy. They're bound to treat and use us either as porcelain dolls or as rag dolls for whatever purpose they see fit of us. Whatever you do, my beloved daughter, always, always remember what Mamma has failed to do – Protect your heart.”

 

Using whatever strength I do have in this frail body of mine, I pushed myself up and felt for my surroundings, hoping none of them could find me as I try to escape.

 

Failing to regain the amount of balance I need, I tripped on my dress this time and landed hardly on the floor, my head hitting the corner of some table that must've stood at my right side.

 

I tried so much not to cry out. For if I do, they shall hear me. And if they hear me, they shall take me. If they take me, they shall possess my freedom. Thus, I shall never function the way I was designed to be – a person free to make her choices.

 

I struggled to crawl under the table, managing only a few collisions with the structure here and there before finally feeling that I am hidden well.

 

I kept quiet and still, in fear of letting myself get found out.

 

The torturous and haunting noises went on for the rest of the hour, ringing out all over the orphanage where I now lived at.

 

I wanted it to stop. Please...someone...make it stop. I thought and prayed, cowering in my place as I covered my hears hoping the nasty sounds would get drowned out.

 

Fortunately, they did.

 

But what preoccupied my ears was now the sound of approaching footsteps.

 

Heavy, different, strong – The footsteps of a MAN.

 

I was trembling now, knowing that in a few seconds or so, he'd find me out in my hiding place and who knows what kind of vile thing he'd do to me.

 

Then as it got closer, it stopped. Just in front of me, or rather in front of the table where I hid.

 

“You don't have to fear, dear lady. I am not here to capture you.”

 

What a sweet and gentle voice he has.

 

But I shouldn't be brainwashed by this temptation to hear more of it.

 

“Come out and I shall take you away, before the rest of my company finds out you're here.”

 

What is he saying? Is he posing an offer to benefit my safety? Or is this another one trick this man has up on his sleeve?

 

I could feel the curtain that hung around the table, slowly parting aside, letting gusts of win

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter